Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kids don't know poo poo. Film it anyway and watch the tumblr tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kids don't know poo poo. Film it anyway and watch the tumblr tears.
Oh Dune is the best book ever. I'm just saying that I'm lolling. Better yet, make a Foundation miniseries and then have a Dune miniseries follow it, because Dune is basically Frank Herbert spending a few decades of his life arguing that Asimov was wrong in thinking that having future-predicting space wizards being in charge of everything was a good idea.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Omi-Polari posted:

Oh Dune is the best book ever. I'm just saying that I'm lolling. Better yet, make a Foundation miniseries and then have a Dune miniseries follow it, because Dune is basically Frank Herbert spending a few decades of his life arguing that Asimov was wrong in thinking that having future-predicting space wizards being in charge of everything was a good idea.

I want a robot Asimov and a cloned Frank Herbert to fight.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I want a robot Asimov and a cloned Frank Herbert to fight.

Im not sure it would be a fair fight, Robot Asimov wouldn't be allowed to fight back I don't think? Do clones still count as humans?

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

The General posted:

Im not sure it would be a fair fight, Robot Asimov wouldn't be allowed to fight back I don't think? Do clones still count as humans?

0th law would let him kill Herbert for the overall good of mankind (in his opinion)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I want a robot Asimov and a ghola Frank Herbert to fight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Listening to a podcast today and they had a guy who is working on a Trek mobile game where all the series kind of meet up in one place. He said that a weird thing about character likenesses is how at least one actor wanted a "later season" haircut because they didn't like what they had early in the series but didn't have enough pull to demand a change early on.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Avery Brooks right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

muscles like this? posted:

Listening to a podcast today and they had a guy who is working on a Trek mobile game where all the series kind of meet up in one place. He said that a weird thing about character likenesses is how at least one actor wanted a "later season" haircut because they didn't like what they had early in the series but didn't have enough pull to demand a change early on.

Was it Kate Mulgrew or Avery Brooks?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Patrick Stewart.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It was Molly, I've heard she was very demanding in later seasons.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

michael dorn prob wanted his rocking midlife crisis warrior ponytail from ds9 but people are more familiar with his tng era mary tyler moore wig with the top cut off style

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rynder posted:

i almost wondered why a race of people living by the mob code would be pretty much human but then i remembered that a race of ancient humanoids jizzed on every planet in the galaxy and that's why everyone evolved to be humanoid

what a terrible episode

I find it more interesting that from a single book, they were somehow able to reproduce the English language in its entirety.

Same for the planet that was dominated by the Chinese that somehow had an exact copy of the Declaration of Independence, down to the handwriting and signatures, yet for some reason couldn't read it. THAT episode was the worst in all Trek.

Also the Rome planet. God, TOS was pure poo poo.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 1, 2015

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Apoplexy posted:

I had an EQ character named Nathilus. Also, Lexx was an abomination.

We agree on several things then but please no more using my handle, I have dibs. Been using it since gemstone 3 back in the AOL days.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

I thought Lt Worf's entry was rather good this year.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

"I don't know who or what you are, but I can assure you these are very fashionable, practical clothes. A man on my world would not be caught dead without a jerkin, his outer waistbelt and his hoodlet. No, I do not lace up the outmost layer, that is so last harvest."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Bible posted:

there are like three Rome planets, not counting the romulans

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

shadow puppet of a posted:

"I don't know who or what you are, but I can assure you these are very fashionable, practical clothes. A man on my world would not be caught dead without a jerkin, his outer waistbelt and his hoodlet. No, I do not lace up the outmost layer, that is so last harvest."

He came from Final Fantasy NPC Planet.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The Bible posted:

I find it more interesting that from a single book, they were somehow able to reproduce the English language in its entirety.

Same for the planet that was dominated by the Chinese that somehow had an exact copy of the Declaration of Independence, down to the handwriting and signatures, yet for some reason couldn't read it. THAT episode was the worst in all Trek.

Don't forget the literally nazi planet

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

and the telekinetic Greek philosopher midget planet

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bible posted:

Gangster planet works because it takes itself exactly as seriously as the concept deserves and has some really great performances. Omega Glory doesn't work as a drama or as science fiction, but you can sure remember it and it's because it dispenses with all the pussyfooting around with this Federation and prime directive and proton photon inverse tachyon deflector beam warp converters bullshit and says what Star Trek is actually about, which is "America is the best country. gently caress you. USA USA USA." Roddenberry was really proud of it and you can see why, looking at things from his coked up point of view.

Planet Rome is mostly pretty bad but the gladiatorial fight scene is hilarious. The Nazi planet has some zingers but mostly sucks. Cowboy planet sucks and doesn't engage with its setting at all really, it feels like a random script they just decided to shoot on the old west soundstage for shits.

Worst episode in TOS has to be The Alternative Factor, which is skullfuckingly boring, terribly written, terribly acted, and makes no sense at all into the bargain.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've never been able to get into TOS because the generation gap is just too wide. TNG is great. DS9 is great. But I'd rather watch Voyager than TOS.

The gap is just too wide. My dad grew up on it, bought the Gold Key comic books with his allowance money and still has the fan newsletters where Roddenberry sold off his production scripts for extra cash.

When I watch it with him he's still in awe. TOS was eye-popping and just woah. He's like: "Look at those colors!" It was ... color television! He'll make fun of the cheesy stuff too but it's just a totally different perspective.

Before TOS you watched Petticoat Junction or loving Lassie while the B-47s orbited overhead with their bellies full of atomic bombs.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 1, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

skasion posted:

Worst episode in TOS has to be The Alternative Factor, which is skullfuckingly boring, terribly written, terribly acted, and makes no sense at all into the bargain.

For me it's a close race between this and Miri. Might have to toss Catspaw in there too.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kitchner posted:

Don't forget the literally nazi planet

I especially like how Spock stated that the odds of such a planet existing are infinitesimal, yet they pop up constantly and with absolutely no explanation.

And we are to believe TOS is the superior Trek. Voyager wasn't great, but we never had to sit through Janeway hamming up tue Preamble of the Constitution to a bunch of Chinese dudes.

Threshold would have been the crowning episode of the series had it been a TOS script.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 1, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Bible posted:

I especially like how Spock stated that the odds of such a planet existing are infinitesimal, yet they pop up constantly and with absolutely no explanation.

And we are to believe TOS is the superior Trek. Voyager wasn't great, but we never had to sit through Janeway hamming up tue Preamble of the Constitution to a bunch of Chinese dudes.

Threshold would have been the crowning episode of the series had it been a TOS script.

TOS is the superior Trek, just by virtue of the fact that every good TNG/DS9/Voyager episode is just a rehash of a TOS episode

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Delsaber posted:

For me it's a close race between this and Miri. Might have to toss Catspaw in there too.

catspaw rules hard ok

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Orange Sunshine posted:

So, one dead character, 3 characters who basically only care about sex but can't or won't have it with each other. They travel around the galaxy as the captain looks for sex but never gets it. Is a low budget show with only 4 characters, each with the depth of a potato, a good show? No it isn't.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I know I shouldn't ask...

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

rhw the worst ep of st ar trek is requiem for methusulah but really it bears mentioning that the final ep was turnabout intruder, season 3 should have been destroyed before it aired

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

The Bible posted:

What's so dissapointing about that episode is that it was actually pretty good until the stupid reveal that "this is literally the USA!:aaa:" It was such a random plot twist that made less than no sense and had nothing to do with the first half.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Everyone was on drugs. If you watch it on drugs you'll understand why they thought it was great.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
hehe

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Harveygod posted:

What's so dissapointing about that episode is that it was actually pretty good until the stupid reveal that "this is literally the USA!:aaa:" It was such a random plot twist that made less than no sense and had nothing to do with the first half.

Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lord of Pie posted:

and the telekinetic Greek philosopher midget planet

There was also the planet that was a copy of Earth where all the adults had died off. How was it a copy of Earth? Spock is just all "maybe that just happens?"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

There was also the planet that was a copy of Earth where all the adults had died off. How was it a copy of Earth? Spock is just all "maybe that just happens?"

Which gives a gently caress Kirk now let's get back to fighting giant lizard men

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah Red Dwarf is probably better than TOS.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS is the best Trek show because it's the shortest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
from the keyboard thread

surebet posted:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/galaxy-keycaps-set

i'm not even remotely nerdy enough for this

• Locked thread