Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Game mechanics wise it was considered a third faction. You could even trade items with other zombies, regardless of your race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Zombie event was great. Then again so was everything in TBC.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

blablablabla posted:

Then again so was everything in TBC.
Let's not go crazy now.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Pierson posted:

GW2 becoming truly free to play (instead of buy to play) just today adds another hilarious angle to the Wildstar F2P geometry.

the base game is free, but the expansion is not, so anyone who wants to have access to all of the content will still have to pay the full price

Byolante posted:

UO is great because sandbox pvp mmos, the most hilarious failure prone game type of all, exist because people remember pre-trammel uo and don't realise that the carebears getting ganked don't fondly remember the experience.

they realise that the carebears don't like to be ganked, the thing that they fail to understand is that carebears and casuals are the ones who bring in all the money these days

hardcore mmo gamers don't want to admit that they are welfare leeches

Langosta posted:

People keep bringing up the WoW zombie event and talking about how awesome it was, but no one mentions that it was the only time the alliance and the horde could have been on the same team. It even broke through the language barrier. Truly the most peaceful movement of our time.

forced splitting of the playerbase is retarded garbage that needs to die

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RottenK posted:

It only makes sense if the game has three factions, rather than just two, and is full on PvP.

DAoC and Planetside did it okay. But yeah all these that just pointlessly split into two factions are dumb.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

RottenK posted:

they realise that the carebears don't like to be ganked, the thing that they fail to understand is that carebears and casuals are the ones who bring in all the money these days

hardcore mmo gamers don't want to admit that they are welfare leeches

This is probably more true than anyone wants to admit. If everyone is hardcore, there's no one left to gank, or even to show off your pixels to. For as much umbrage as the hardcore players like to heap on normal people, the fact is that they aren't the majority and shouldn't be.

quote:

Bloody oath. I am loving shocked that game makers continue to ignore the long term. Your playerbase is going to shrink. Cutting the available players for Dungeon X by half or more is just insane. Elder Scrolls is in serious trouble because of this decision, and it's turd-munchingly insane.

quote:

It only makes sense if the game has three factions, rather than just two, and is full on PvP.

DAoC and Planetside did it okay. But yeah all these that just pointlessly split into two factions are dumb.

Totally disagree. It may make sense for PvP, or for some sperg lore, but for PvE - the majority of your game, most likely - it is shortsighted and terrible. Your player base is going to shrink. People will pass the first instances and not want to go back to them. You're going to have longer and longer queue times. Why would you cut down the available pool by half just for some unrelated reason?

If you have a PvP-only game then the above doesn't matter since you don't have PvE.

Does WoW have cross-faction grouping these days?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 31, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Thursday Next posted:

Totally disagree. It may make sense for PvP, or for some sperg lore, but for PvE - the majority of your game, most likely - it is shortsighted and terrible. Your player base is going to shrink. People will pass the first instances and not want to go back to them. You're going to have longer and longer queue times. Why would you cut down the available pool by half just for some unrelated reason?

If you have a PvP-only game then the above doesn't matter since you don't have PvE.

Does WoW have cross-faction grouping these days?

DAoC and Planetside were primarily PvP, and had massive three way battles. They're sincerely the only two games I could think of with three factions that pulled them off; DAoC had SOME PvE but it wasn't the major draw IIRC.

And nope, no cross-faction yet in WoW. WoW's got a lot of old school limitations that I wish they'd do away with; forcing a class to only be one of so many races is still kinda dumb, and having hairstyles limited by race makes me sad because there's a loving pompadour that would look fantastic on my orc.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

John Dyne posted:

DAoC and Planetside were primarily PvP, and had massive three way battles. They're sincerely the only two games I could think of with three factions that pulled them off; DAoC had SOME PvE but it wasn't the major draw IIRC.

Technically, GW2 as well, since it's single-faction for PvP and the WvW is three-sided split by home server. But that's kind of a different setup.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

They have to keep in line with the lore, I definitely know it would take me out of the immersive experience if I saw, say, an orc paladin with an afro run by while I made my way through Nintendo Reference Crater.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hilariously, in order to address faction imbalances, WoW is going to put in cross-faction grouping...but only for Battlegrounds :razz:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Hilariously, in order to address faction imbalances, WoW is going to put in cross-faction grouping...but only for Battlegrounds :razz:

Wildstar had the typical PvP problem where all of the hardcore-est players went horde and curbstomped alliance 90% of the time in battlegrounds... until they all realized there was nothing stopping them from just afking for like 2/3s the rewards per match (which went much more quickly since one side wasn't putting up a fight) and the situation reversed itself.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

John Dyne posted:

And nope, no cross-faction yet in WoW. WoW's got a lot of old school limitations that I wish they'd do away with; forcing a class to only be one of so many races is still kinda dumb, and having hairstyles limited by race makes me sad because there's a loving pompadour that would look fantastic on my orc.

Yeah, limitations like that - faction limits, race / class combo limits, etc - are definitely going the way of the dodo and I think that's a good thing. There's no reason to have those except for ~lore~. I'm really surprised to hear that WoW still has those limits in place.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
WoW limits will stay because Blizzard doesn't wants to deal with the lawsuits that will happen when a whole bunch of idiot grognards literally die from anger induced heart attacks.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Anoia posted:

I loved the WoW zombie event. I remember camping out in that special section of the Stormwind Mage Tower and infecting people as soon as they zoned in, chanting "one of us, one of us."

Most played along and turned it into a glorious hallway of death, but like 1/4 of the people who came through were furious at us and would explode immediately upon turning because they hated fun.

I still have the Undead Slaying glamoured set on my Rogue even though it looks like pixelated crap now.

I loved the zombie event; it was some of the most fun I had in WoW. I still have all the undead slaying gear on my rogue, as well as all the trinkets and stuff you could only get during the event.

SirPhoebos posted:

Yeah, they're putting it into the game in the dumbest way possible too. You have to specifically queue as Horde, instead of just queuing as "mercenary" and getting Horde if the Alliance queues are too long.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

jjac posted:

They have to keep in line with the lore, I definitely know it would take me out of the immersive experience if I saw, say, an orc paladin with an afro run by while I made my way through Nintendo Reference Crater.

Blizzard is just so goddamned inconsistent, too. The aforementioned crater is completely fine. Wielding a sword transmogged into a fish or a rolling pin? Not in MY Warcraft! But the new mercenary system puts the goofy Halloween masks on your character to give them impression that he's the proper faction and totally serious enough for Warcraft. But seriously, no fish as swords! (To be fair, the mercenary thing is absolutely hilarious and awesome)

On that same note, though, I still don't get the faction things in WoW. It just doesn't make sense considering every. single. time. we fight a big bad at the end of an xpack it's always some joint-effort between the Horde and the Alliance. They try to bring up lore as a reason for the separation and it's really only ever coming off as a reason it shouldn't even exist. It's outdated, and really just done out of stubborness at this point. I'm always excited to hear someone plays WoW until they go "Yeah, I have an orc shaman..." and I immediately think that's a shame because I can't play with them. They literally may as well be playing a different game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

WoW limits will stay because Blizzard doesn't wants to deal with the lawsuits that will happen when a whole bunch of idiot grognards literally die from anger induced heart attacks.

Sounds like a class action. Everyone gets 1 month free sub in the end.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Thursday Next posted:

Yeah, limitations like that - faction limits, race / class combo limits, etc - are definitely going the way of the dodo and I think that's a good thing. There's no reason to have those except for ~lore~. I'm really surprised to hear that WoW still has those limits in place.

Probably an awful lot of code over an awful lot of years saying "You are Horde and you are alliance and never the twain shall meet" making it a pain in the rear end to implement without potentially breaking a dozen other things. Wow is no spring chicken after all.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Martout posted:

Probably an awful lot of code over an awful lot of years saying "You are Horde and you are alliance and never the twain shall meet" making it a pain in the rear end to implement without potentially breaking a dozen other things. Wow is no spring chicken after all.

Reading what I have about the WoW engine, I'm suprised they can get anything done at this point. Honestly I'm shocked they aren't working on a successor MMO at this point.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Thursday Next posted:

It's not just lore, either. Paladins get race-specific mounts and druids get race-specific shapeshift forms. Considering that Moonkin Form is still stuck with a hilariously outdated model from 2006, they're extremely adverse to making all of that new art.

But yeah, factional divide will always end in a giant headache. Some factions or races will always be favored, and scrambling to balance it never works out. It's another reason why Wildstar feels so dated: they chose to have factions after a decade of evidence pointed to that mechanic just not being fun or fair.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Deki posted:

Reading what I have about the WoW engine, I'm suprised they can get anything done at this point. Honestly I'm shocked they aren't working on a successor MMO at this point.

When you have 10 7 5 million subscribers, you don't need a successor MMO.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Deki posted:

Well there was that project they had a whole bunch of people work on for like 7 years with fuckall to show for it?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Martout posted:

Well there was that project they had a whole bunch of people work on for like 7 years with fuckall to show for it?

You mean Starcraft: Ghost?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Martout posted:

Titan which was scrapped and now the art assets are being turned into blizzard TF2. Apparently it would've been like Destiny or something idk.

I wonder how much money was pissed away on that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

RottenK posted:

It's kind of interesting now in SWTOR, especially since the devs have realized the players want story first mmo stuff second. The faction split let them tell both Republic and Empire stories, though the issue is that the Republic side in general, is garbage. Their class stories are dull and boring, and the faction specific stories are even worse. The Empire really pulls the story stuff up, and trying to picture a game where they could tell interesting stories while just focusing on the Republic and the story baggage it has is difficult.(And fat chance the game would've been allowed to exist if it focused on the Empire)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cross-faction in WoW would probably turn all the invisible rabbits in Ragnaroses and destroy the game.

I wonder what their churn on programmers is like. I just can't imagine working on that game's gordian knot of code for that long.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Saxophone posted:

But the new mercenary system puts the goofy Halloween masks on your character to give them impression that he's the proper faction and totally serious enough for Warcraft.

Actually no, it straight up makes you appear as the other faction race, the masked dudes are just the NPCs you talk to the queue as a mercenary. Also it's purely to alleviate queue times; Mercenary Mode is only available if queue times go beyond a certain time for your faction.

Basically meaning only Alliance will ever use it. And yes, of course you have to queue specifically for it, given it only pops up when queue times are too long. If they had it set to opt-in and put you on whichever side needed people, then anyone opted-in would just get put on the opposite faction literally every time anyway.

Rorus Raz posted:

Cross-faction in WoW would probably turn all the invisible rabbits in Ragnaroses and destroy the game.

I wonder what their churn on programmers is like. I just can't imagine working on that game's gordian knot of code for that long.

According to Ghostcrawler, there's actually very little churn, or least there wasn't when he was there. Specifically:

Ghostcrawler posted:

Can I ask you, how much has the WoW team changed since WotLK?
Not much. The leadership team stayed virtually the same the whole time I was there. Some folks went to Titan and several came back. The team was growing the entire time so you always saw a lot of new faces, but they were additions, not replacements. Reading between the lines a bit, I don't think this is one of those deals where some kind of new team radically evolved the philosophy. Blizzard turnover, even between teams, is very low by industry standards.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

RottenK posted:

See, I don't really see the problem with it because I'll probably never meet everyone in my faction no matter how long I play, and I'm going to play the most Troll or Lizard-people race available anyway so I don't really care if there's a whole other story line that I'm missing out on because if it's not related to trolls or lizardpersons then I just don't give a gently caress. Things in WoW like imbalanced racial bonuses don't really bug me either because I usually just focus on aesthetic anyway and making lovely class/race combos work is a fun thing for me.

Then again, people being super into Team Red and just despising Team Silver turns everything into a "They got this thing and gawd drat am I sour about it." And that's just not fun.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Langosta posted:

See, I don't really see the problem with it because I'll probably never meet everyone in my faction no matter how long I play, and I'm going to play the most Troll or Lizard-people race available anyway so I don't really care if there's a whole other story line that I'm missing out on because if it's not related to trolls or lizardpersons then I just don't give a gently caress. Things in WoW like imbalanced racial bonuses don't really bug me either because I usually just focus on aesthetic anyway and making lovely class/race combos work is a fun thing for me.

Then again, people being super into Team Red and just despising Team Silver turns everything into a "They got this thing and gawd drat am I sour about it." And that's just not fun.

I liked how DAOC handled it. 3 factions is the right number when it comes to dealing with one side getting too powerful, and I liked how each realm had their own unique classes/races. You didn't see Elf Thanes or Kobold Paladins running around which would have been a bit weird.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Martout posted:

They just said gently caress it and converted what little they had into a team death match game i.e. Overwatch.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
And it's going to make them poo poo loads of money because it's a straight rip from tf2 which tons of people still play.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I hope there's a variety of hats to be bought.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Langosta posted:

See, I don't really see the problem with it because I'll probably never meet everyone in my faction no matter how long I play, and I'm going to play the most Troll or Lizard-people race available anyway so I don't really care if there's a whole other story line that I'm missing out on because if it's not related to trolls or lizardpersons then I just don't give a gently caress.

Because maybe your friends want to play with you but the races they give a gently caress about aren't able to be created in your faction so you all have to decide who's race giveafuckability is more important or just play different games.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Because maybe your friends want to play with you but the races they give a gently caress about aren't able to be created in your faction so you all have to decide who's race giveafuckability is more important or just play different games.

If your friends want to play cat people you probably need to get new friends anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Morglon posted:

If your friends want to play cat people you probably need to get new friends anyway.

What if they want to play rock people?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

And it's going to make them poo poo loads of money because it's a straight rip from tf2 which tons of people still play.

It seems more like Super Monday Night Combat than TF2 to me.

Harrow posted:

What if they want to play rock people?

Then they're probably wanting to play Wildstar and

Morglon posted:

you probably need to get new friends anyway.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

John Dyne posted:

It seems more like Super Monday Night Combat than TF2 to me.

It's in the space between TF2 and MNC. It's not a moba, there's no leveling or creeps or last hits or anything, but it's not TF2 either because the classes are more like moba heroes with ability sets instead just signature weapons.

It's closer to TF2 than MNC, though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Exclusive factions, beyond splitting the effective playerbase, also means having to develop almost twice as much content. It's ridiculous and stupid. If you play WoW now, there's an enormous chunk of content you'll never touch or play without making an alt on the other faction. Even then, WoW just tends to boil things down over time so that both factions do slightly different versions of the same quest from a neutral party.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's in the space between TF2 and MNC. It's not a moba, there's no leveling or creeps or last hits or anything, but it's not TF2 either because the classes are more like moba heroes with ability sets instead just signature weapons.

It's closer to TF2 than MNC, though.

I think it will come down to how the heroes are acquired. Hopefully it isn't pay for heroes.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

I think it will come down to how the heroes are acquired. Hopefully it isn't pay for heroes.

ahhhhahahahah. keep dreaming, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

ahhhhahahahah. keep dreaming, friend.

ya i know :smith:

• Locked thread