Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Finally got fragile allegiance working, and godDAMN is the pacing in this game glacial. The prequel K240 was quite a bit faster by not including "features" like vehicle ranges and fuel.

That's one of the games I tested for GOG, nearly died of boredom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Woah I've been trying to remember a certain game I played on PC Gamer demo disc for years and I think it might have been Fragile Alliance.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I sure hope that the first five Wizardry games are salvaged from licensing purgatory one day.

There's not that many big old series for them to work out now either right? maybe Mechwarrior somehow or the early Westwood RTS titles.

They've accomplished a lot... :allears:

They'd have to go to various Japanese rights holders for the first five Wizardry games and most of them aren't even interested in releasing their own Wizardry developed games in the west so don't hold your breath.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They'd have to go to various Japanese rights holders for the first five Wizardry games and most of them aren't even interested in releasing their own Wizardry developed games in the west so don't hold your breath.

That's a real shame. I don't care for Wiz 4 at all (who could blame me?), but the PSX version of Wiz5 in the New Age off Llylgamyn compilation is very good - the definitive version of the game, in my opinion. It's in Japanese but you can menu change much of the game into English, and it's an excellent dungeon crawl without a lot of the nonsense of Wiz1-3.

Someone was selling a copy of it on eBay for only about $30 and I was going to get it, but PS2's are, sadly, region locked.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

That's a real shame. I don't care for Wiz 4 at all (who could blame me?), but the PSX version of Wiz5 in the New Age off Llylgamyn compilation is very good - the definitive version of the game, in my opinion. It's in Japanese but you can menu change much of the game into English, and it's an excellent dungeon crawl without a lot of the nonsense of Wiz1-3.

Someone was selling a copy of it on eBay for only about $30 and I was going to get it, but PS2's are, sadly, region locked.

I believe Swap Magic or MCBoot exploit can bypass the region lock on a PS2. You can also just emulate it just fine.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

18/22. I dunno what the difference between a pike and an awl-pike is, and -fork vs -guisarme tripped me up a few times.

e: it's a bit easier to tell if you know what a guisarme and a military fork actually are, basically if a thing's got a curvy bit sticking out on the back it's probably a whatever-guisarme, but if it's got a spiky bit instead it's probably a whatever-fork

e2: lol @ 'bohemian back scratcher'

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 28, 2015

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Lord Lambeth posted:

If you are even halfway familiar with the modern day fallouts you might be okay. Just dump everything into agility and shoot everything in the balls.

except for deathclaws, shoot those in the eyes instead

Skwirl posted:

It's a great game, the biggest thing I can recommend is remembering to save often in different slots. And Agility is the most important combat stat.

to extend on this, more agility = more action points = more running around during your turn. Although there is a temptation to fall into a trap of going 10 agility to spam unaimed shots at people, don't do that when you can do the ever effective shoot-their-balls-off tactic.

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I've always played those games with 1 luck, I never saw the point in that stat and it doesn't really make the game any harder

Luck had a habit of affecting everything outside of your actual ability (wouldn't be luck otherwise). The most obvious ones are gambling and the outdoors encounters, but I do remember the odd speech option that was seemingly luck-based, unless speech handled all that 100%

edit: I'm a dummy, forgot to post this when I went to sleep so it's quite a bit late for the discussion :(

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.
Question:

I´m looking to play something like the old Elite/Frontier games and Independence War 2 is on sale. Is it anything like Elite? The description mentions combat, piracy and trading, multiple ships.

Is it and open world game? A "go anywhere, anytime, do anything" kind of game or is it on rails?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gehenomm posted:

Question:

I´m looking to play something like the old Elite/Frontier games and Independence War 2 is on sale. Is it anything like Elite? The description mentions combat, piracy and trading, multiple ships.

Is it and open world game? A "go anywhere, anytime, do anything" kind of game or is it on rails?

Yes and no. The game has a central plot and is linear during the first act. When you reach the second act the game opens up a lot and lets you go out and play pirate (can't remember trading much if at all), though there will be a linear series of main storyline missions you can do to get new ships and other stuff a few times as well as various side tasks which, from my memory, are mostly just collecting enough of X loot/cargo type to turn in for a reward.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I want to say somewhere in the middle with a lean towards open world. It works really well at that and seems to be one of the few games that can straddle that line successfully.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I-War 2 is a bit space-GTA in that there's an open world you fly around and you access the campaign missions by flying to the place in the in-game universe where the mission starts. The 'trading' is just you doing piracy and then going back to base to swap your swag for ship upgrades.

It's an excellent game and the last great space-sim released just before the entire genre collapsed for a decade and a bit.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Don't forget to grab a mod so that your space pirate looter can carry more than 4 space cubes at a time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don't forget to grab a mod so that your space pirate looter can carry more than 4 space cubes at a time.

Yes, this, give Jaffs one of the bigger freighters. The game had a lot of mods in its time and there is still a group dedicated to keeping them around (perhaps even making new mods).

http://www.i-war2.com/

Wow, this place had a major makeover since I saw it last.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, this, give Jaffs one of the bigger freighters. The game had a lot of mods in its time and there is still a group dedicated to keeping them around (perhaps even making new mods).

http://www.i-war2.com/

Wow, this place had a major makeover since I saw it last.

I think the original host vanished and someone snapped up the domain and reproduced everything.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Also, in the unmodded game you can only save in your base afair, but there's also a mod for that.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Going through my backlog and ugggghh... why did I buy Enclave? I can't even blame nostalgia on this one. Good god the hit detection is non-existent.

Decided to play Die by the Sword instead and my god that game is fun in a "this is so incredible hosed up and broken" kind of way. I tried using the mouse to play instead of keypad and it was hilarious.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Testekill posted:

The Gold Box RPGs seem to have had a bunch of weapons added into them. I'm pretty sure that stuff like staff slings and awl pikes weren't in the rules of AD&D

edit:

I'm pretty sure that none of these weapons were in Gateway to the Savage Frontier at least. I mean, the vast majority are just different kinds of Polearm and I don't even know which are good and which are poo poo.

Bardiche
Bec de Corbin (a type of hammer)
Billhook
Bo Stick
Fauchard
Fauchard-Fork
Military-Fork
Glaive
Glaive-Guisarme
Guisarme
Guisarme-Voulge
Lucern Hammer
Javelins
Jo Stick
Partisian
Military Pick
Awl Pike
Ranseur
Schimitar? (not sure if it was in gateway to the savage frontier)
Spetum
Trident
Voulge
Composite Long & Short bows? (once more, not sure if they were in it)
Staff Sling

Man, somebody hasn't played Pool of Radiance or COTAB and had to page through 4 pages of useless poo poo just to buy a long sword. Geez, look at this guy.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Sometimes after playing some games I go to the review section to see what people said. After playing die by the sword I looked it up and saw this.

lo-loving-l.

This is from a game where pressing high block causes your character to stick both his hands straight up into the air like he was cheering. And it works. I think the only thing DbtS inspired was QWOP.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't realise Die By The Sword had number pad controls so I spent my brief time with it running around spinning my mouse in circles and screaming IRL before a goblin decapitated me.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I didn't realise Die By The Sword had number pad controls so I spent my brief time with it running around spinning my mouse in circles and screaming IRL before a goblin decapitated me.
Simply do 4-6-4-6-... to wag the sword in front of you, and run into enemies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DBTS was always unplayable with a mouse, I bought that game at launch and spent hours trying to figure it out and could not do it. I can't imagine it being that fun these days, but back then there was nothing else like it - it was a really tactile physics playground long before that was a thing.

I might be the only person on the planet to have played the pseudo-sequel Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, but that actually wasn't bad. They tried to turn it into an actually functional game and it worked even if it was still janky as hell.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 1, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Hakkesshu posted:

I might be the only person on the planet to have played the pseudo-sequel Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, but that actually wasn't bad. They tried to turn it into an actually functional game and it worked even if it was still janky as hell.

I actually still have a functional Dreamcast (just bought Gauntlet Legends after years of wanting it) and looked that up - not half tempted, I must say.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

World in Conflict: Complete Edition is up for $9.99.

A Nice Big Dinner fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 1, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What is this game? Why is it good?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

double nine posted:

Do you remember Ground Control? It's a better version of Ground Control set in WW3.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Alchenar posted:

Do you remember Ground Control? It's a better version of Ground Control set in WW3.

With lots and lots of fantastic artillery strikes

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It's really good and it's awesome that GOG has it.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

double nine posted:

In addition to what everyone else has already said, it is one of the best RTS games to have come out in recent years before the genre began to lose popularity.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I've always played those games with 1 luck, I never saw the point in that stat and it doesn't really make the game any harder

At least in fallout 2 if you had luck set at 6 or higher, you could get a perk called sniper and slayer (melee version). These perks made your attacks get a 10% critical strike chance per luck point up to max 95%.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

obese retard posted:

In addition to what everyone else has already said, it is one of the best RTS games to have come out in recent years before the genre began to lose popularity.

I'm going to preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I love World in Conflict.

World in Conflict, or at least the single player campaign, is not a very good RTS or RTT or whatever you want to call it. There is very little strategy employed anywhere in the campaign besides being semi-accurate with your off-map weapons and making sure your repair tanks are where they need to be while your MBT's trade shots with other MBT's. There is a bit more to its gameplay in multiplayer where all the units are on equal ground but the single player is basically a "Kill thousands of enemy tanks" arcade game.

But on the other hand that is exactly why I love it. If you're anything like me you might be absolutely no good at RTS strategy but love the concept of watching massive battles unfold in front of you and that is exactly what WiC seemed to cater towards. I can only think of a handful of missions where you don't spend minutes just watching literally hundreds of explosions go off, most of which you directed. Whether its napalm on forests, cluster bombs on tanks, or carpet bombing a town you will blow up a ton of stuff in every mission no matter what.

Also an incredibly cliched but effective story and characters in the campaign.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The multiplayer was excellent in encouraging co-operation across teams though. You have to pick a focus (infantry, armour, air, support) and the game is balanced so that all of those need to work together in order for you to win.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alchenar posted:

The multiplayer was excellent in encouraging co-operation across teams though. You have to pick a focus (infantry, armour, air, support) and the game is balanced so that all of those need to work together in order for you to win.

Yeah, like I said the multiplayer is actually really good and even against the computer (which acts differently than the AI in the main campaign) its fun for a bit. It's just that it wasn't ever played in significant numbers because it was a PC only RTS that was released in 2007. I wouldn't really play the multiplayer by myself though, it needs more people to really shine, so you can get situations like you sneaking your AT infantry through a forest to flank a group of MBT's currently fighting your friend head-to-head while your other friend hits the computer's artillery with their helicopters. But then the AI drops a load of napalm on the forest you're hiding in, calls in a precision strike artillery on your friend's MBT's because he didn't spread them out enough, and another calls in air-to-air support on your friend's helicopters just as he kills the artillery.

Today the best you could probably do is what I did, find a friend or two and play against the computers, which while good are still predictable and eventually you'll figure out the pattern you need to win every time. Handicapping yourself by giving the AI an extra player or two can work to extend the life though.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah, like I said the multiplayer is actually really good and even against the computer (which acts differently than the AI in the main campaign) its fun for a bit. It's just that it wasn't ever played in significant numbers because it was a PC only RTS that was released in 2007. I wouldn't really play the multiplayer by myself though, it needs more people to really shine, so you can get situations like you sneaking your AT infantry through a forest to flank a group of MBT's currently fighting your friend head-to-head while your other friend hits the computer's artillery with their helicopters. But then the AI drops a load of napalm on the forest you're hiding in, calls in a precision strike artillery on your friend's MBT's because he didn't spread them out enough, and another calls in air-to-air support on your friend's helicopters just as he kills the artillery.

Today the best you could probably do is what I did, find a friend or two and play against the computers, which while good are still predictable and eventually you'll figure out the pattern you need to win every time. Handicapping yourself by giving the AI an extra player or two can work to extend the life though.

The beta for the game was incredible, because it was multiplayer only, and there were toooons of people playing. Best RTS experience I can remember ever having.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've had some problems getting stuff from GOG to play nice with my laptop, from what I remember research wise it's something to do with resolution and mobile GPUs, but I never got a really good answer that actually involved a solution. For instance Stronghold Crusader HD works just fine on a desktop at home, but crashes right after stating on my laptop. This seems to be a common theme for anything that doesn't go through Dosbox or ScummVM. Can someone point me towards a solution?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Does your laptop have a dedicated Nvidia or AMD GPU, or just the default embedded intel GPU?
If your laptop has an Nvidia or AMD GPU, you should be able to set which GPU is used for the GOG games you're trying to play.
I had to do this to get Arx Fatalis running properly on my laptop.

For Nvidia GPUs it's Nvidia Control Panel/Manage 3D settings/Program settings.
Not sure of the exact location on AMD driver software.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Casimir Radon posted:

I've had some problems getting stuff from GOG to play nice with my laptop, from what I remember research wise it's something to do with resolution and mobile GPUs, but I never got a really good answer that actually involved a solution. For instance Stronghold Crusader HD works just fine on a desktop at home, but crashes right after stating on my laptop. This seems to be a common theme for anything that doesn't go through Dosbox or ScummVM. Can someone point me towards a solution?

What's your OS? Doesn't Windows 10/8 dislike some GoG titles?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Does your laptop have a dedicated Nvidia or AMD GPU, or just the default embedded intel GPU?
If your laptop has an Nvidia or AMD GPU, you should be able to set which GPU is used for the GOG games you're trying to play.
I had to do this to get Arx Fatalis running properly on my laptop.

For Nvidia GPUs it's Nvidia Control Panel/Manage 3D settings/Program settings.
Not sure of the exact location on AMD driver software.
It's an Nvidia GTX880m. I'll give that a try.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's your OS? Doesn't Windows 10/8 dislike some GoG titles?
I'm sticking with Windows 7 for now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sticking with Windows 7 for now.

You and me both. I will use 7 until Microsoft jams its forced obsolescence down my throat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

You and me both. I will use 7 until Microsoft jams its forced obsolescence down my throat.

:can: windows version discussion oh boy

Games work fine on newer versions for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm using Windows 10 and it's fine, but I've ran across more than a few, mostly older, games that don't play nice with it so I don't see anything wrong with some people giving the upgrade a wait.