Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

tbh it makes more sense to host it in Brazil before all those brand new WC stadiums completely fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

will the bus stops in that one stadium just be a course hazard for extra fun? like mini golf, but with footballers getting pasted by Brazilian transit drivers

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

vyelkin posted:

Can't wait to see how they justify holding it in Russia.

First rate country. One of the few true superpowers. We have full confidence in Russia to do a great job. They just hosted the Olympics, and that's like 12 different sports.

Also, no vuvuzelas.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Russia play football, they even have a champions league team and do well in the world cup sometimes.

They have stadiums.

they're totally fine for being a host for the WC

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Russia play football, they even have a champions league team and do well in the world cup sometimes.

They have stadiums.

Also they don't organize the tournament in Siberia during winter.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yes but how will they justify holding the Copa America there?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Copa (Death To) America.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Russian immigrants came to South America in the 1800s and early 1900s, and Russia is being repaid with the fútbol.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

They have stadiums.

And Russian clubs are almost never fined by their FA for racist fans so the myth about racist russians can go right out the window too!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Thinking 'bout FIFA, feeling really good again, run, Sepp, run!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack Warner ended up pocketing a bit over fifteen million U.S. dollars through shady deals involving World Cup 2010 and 2014 broadcasting rights for the Caribbean.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's a conference right now, there's a stream here but it doesn't work for me http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/live-fifa-corruption-scandal-latest-6439403

Edit: or maybe it's over http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/14/us-soccer-fifa-swiss-idUSKCN0RE1GR20150914

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 14, 2015

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
looks like there will be a new round of arrests coming up :dukedog:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/14/fresh-arrests-fifa-loretta-lynch-us-attorney-general

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Platini and Beckenbauer please

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I loving hope they get Teflon Franz

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ephex posted:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ephex posted:

Phwoar some Dolchstoß-shenanigans going down here! Germans selling out their own because of insufficient will to take it all the way to the end? You don't say :eyepop:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

ephex posted:

This. A thousand times.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Koesj posted:

Phwoar some Dolchstoß-shenanigans going down here! Germans selling out their own because of insufficient will to take it all the way to the end? You don't say :eyepop:

It's a southern conspiracy!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why do the germans hate beckenbauer so much

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
No world wars and only three cups.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Koesj posted:

No world wars and only three cups.

uhm

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Jose posted:

why do the germans hate beckenbauer so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQUJfpcSRQ0

Note Franz' extremely good clapping in the beginning.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 15, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

for Franz you dolt

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i hope the next president lets loretta lynch stay on for a while because the laugh economy really needs this stimulus

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
lol another one down

FIFA posted:

FIFA today announced that its Secretary General Jérôme Valcke has been put on leave and released from his duties effective immediately until further notice. Further, FIFA has been made aware of a series of allegations involving the Secretary General and has requested a formal investigation by the FIFA Ethics Committee.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Does that mean he's one of the good guys? Which way is up?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The Secretary General lol. I'd like to see a chart if fifa's hierarchy to see which ones have been arrested.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

wasn't valcke the guy who made that joke a while back, "blatter and i are in a car, who is driving? the police"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wasn't valcke the guy who made that joke a while back, "blatter and i are in a car, who is driving? the police"

Nah that was head of communications Di Gregorio, he got fired for this too.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTiYun47rg

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Good for FIFA. If the accusations are true, that is unacceptable from Valcke.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/18/fifpro-transfer-fees-could-go-fifa-brussels

FIFPro are taking legal action against FIFA to overhaul the transfer system

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

So these retards want to kill off non-elite football. Why?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I've posted this a few times around here but I'll repeat myself: I'm pretty sure, despite the Bosman and Webster rulings, that the transfer system itself is at heart incompatible with fundamental EU law, to the point where, once there's no longer political support for maintaining the system, it'll quickly get killed by the European Court of Justice.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

The Mash posted:

I've posted this a few times around here but I'll repeat myself: I'm pretty sure, despite the Bosman and Webster rulings, that the transfer system itself is at heart incompatible with fundamental EU law, to the point where, once there's no longer political support for maintaining the system, it'll quickly get killed by the European Court of Justice.

How so?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Basically that the very strict limitations on when a player under contract can choose to play for a club in another EU-country go against Article 45 of the TFEU:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:12012E/TXT&from=DA

quote:

Article 45

(ex Article 39 TEC)

1. Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured within the Union.

2. Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States as regards employment, remuneration and other conditions of work and employment.

3. It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health:

(a) to accept offers of employment actually made;

(b) to move freely within the territory of Member States for this purpose;

(c) to stay in a Member State for the purpose of employment in accordance with the provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law, regulation or administrative action;

(d) to remain in the territory of a Member State after having been employed in that State, subject to conditions which shall be embodied in regulations to be drawn up by the Commission.

4. The provisions of this Article shall not apply to employment in the public service.

So far, the EU has basically looked the other way or pretended that football fell under "public policy, public security or public health", so it's largely a political issue, but once the motivation to look away disappears, the ECJ will murder the current transfer system dead. And if the transfer system dies in the EU, FIFA will surely have no interest in maintaining it in the rest of the world.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Well, I hope they work something out. Football is, obviously, different from other industries.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Where would all the money go instead of insane price tags, salaries? I can see why the union are doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Syncopated posted:

Where would all the money go instead of insane price tags, salaries? I can see why the union are doing this.

quote:

Other Fifpro objectives include an end to the loan system, restrictions on squad sizes and the capping of payments to agents.

So if Fifpro got everything they wanted there would be no more transfer fees, no more loans, no more massive squads full of every player Chelsea could get to pick up a pen, and potentially no more Jorge Mendes.

I have no idea what the transfer situation would look like after all that, but it's possible it would be better for the players and fans.