Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
as a linux user, I scorn soap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

why isnt html, css and js like, compiled down to byte code or something, avaliable as a public spec and then your web browser is basically a vm?
im sure there are a million reasons

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Awia posted:

why isnt html, css and js like, compiled down to byte code or something, avaliable as a public spec and then your web browser is basically a vm?

think of it this way: js is the bytecode :madmax:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

but i think some of the browsers announced something like that earlier this year? i forget the details and i might be 100% wrong

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Awia posted:

so, Flash

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

or maybe you meant ActiveX. or maybe Java applets, i hear those are in a VM

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

everything, all web

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Random cool thing about XML: Visual Studio has a feature called "Paste XML as classes" which does exactly what it says on the label and it looks loving magical.

Until one week later the deserialisation mysteriously starts failing, and you discover that the sample XML you pasted in had been generated in the first few days of the month, so VS made the "date" fields into UInt16s instead of UInt32s.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

fart simpson posted:

but i think some of the browsers announced something like that earlier this year? i forget the details and i might be 100% wrong

ya there will be a clr for the web soon so you can finally code your frontend code in not-javascript

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Awia posted:

imo webpages should not be turing complete because that can only end badly

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

far far too late

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah :(

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
regular expressions are (generally) turing complete these days, what hope do you think html has?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i dont necessarily mean like, you execute them in the case of html or css say but like, you take the plaintext and then change them into a bytecode analog that is quicker to transmit and can be checked for completeness
because at the moment you can minify things by taking out whitespace and newlines, why not take it to it's logical conclusion

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
does anyone else use the teleric kendo framework for ASP.NET MVC?

not really liking it so far, but I have a question.

what's the difference or good/bad points about doing .BindTo() instead of .DataSource()?
in the spirit of the XY problem - I have a tree view, and I'm trying to setup different mappings for parent/child items, and it looks like only BindTo offers that

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Until one week later the deserialisation mysteriously starts failing, and you discover that the sample XML you pasted in had been generated in the first few days of the month, so VS made the "date" fields into UInt16s instead of UInt32s.

what kind of months do you have that have more than 65536 days in them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Awia posted:

i dont necessarily mean like, you execute them in the case of html or css say but like, you take the plaintext and then change them into a bytecode analog that is quicker to transmit and can be checked for completeness
because at the moment you can minify things by taking out whitespace and newlines, why not take it to it's logical conclusion

oh so you mean gzipping

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Shaggar posted:

in healthcare ur data flies around in either x12 or xml

project i'm on is all json

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

oh so you mean gzipping

but without un zipping it, but cool

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Why aren't Web pages (at least the html for bigger ones) transmitted zipped? Surely data transmission us generally the bottleneck more than rendering is?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this is probably what you're thinking of
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/the-web-is-getting-its-bytecode-webassembly/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

Why aren't Web pages (at least the html for bigger ones) transmitted zipped? Surely data transmission us generally the bottleneck more than rendering is?

aren't they?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i mean you CAN, but i dont think nginx (for example) has gzip compression turned on by default

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

i mean you CAN, but i dont think nginx (for example) has gzip compression turned on by default

yeah but turning it on is like a de facto web standard

i mean that's what i thought

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it might be so ingrained and standard that people forget/dont realise it actually happens

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

wasn't it a huge security hole for a while there?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

fritz posted:

what kind of months do you have that have more than 65536 days in them

ddMMyy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

that's your problem right there. use the standard yyyymmdd format and you don't run into problems with variable lengths or leading zeroes or ambiguous parses or anything

alternatively, posix timestamps

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

every browser since something like ie 5.5 supports and sends "accept: gzip"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Soricidus posted:

that's your problem right there. use the standard yyyymmdd format and you don't run into problems with variable lengths or leading zeroes or ambiguous parses or anything

alternatively, posix timestamps

already do yyyy-MM-dd in my own stuff. that wasn't my xml.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

already do yyyy-MM-dd in my own stuff. that wasn't my xml.

fair enough, there aren't many things worse than other people's xml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol that's some hosed up bullshit

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Encountered new interesting take on time APIs today, a getMilliseconds() that gets the milliseconds is understandable, but a getMicroseconds() returns literally only the microsecond fraction instead of ms * 1000 + us, similarly for nanoseconds.

The underlying bit encoding is odd too, 16-bits for milliseconds, a bit field of 2 unused bits, 3 high bits for nanoseconds, 3 high bits for microseconds, 8 low bits for microseconds, then the final 8 low bits for nanoseconds.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Bloody posted:

http://cs.stanford.edu/people/karpathy/convnetjs/demo/cifar10.html

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

lol that's some hosed up bullshit

shaggar was right

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the only correct datestamp format for January 3rd, 2015 is 2015-01-03. if you disagree you are wrong

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the only correct datestamp format for January 3rd, 2015 is 2015-01-03. if you disagree you are wrong

Zero-indexing is better, so that should be

2014-00-02

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sarehu posted:

Zero-indexing is better, so that should be

2014-00-02

Lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
First day of job today, and then go down to London for 6 weeks of "boot camp". I'm not thrilled about that but it should be something different I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

First day of job today, and then go down to London for 6 weeks of "boot camp". I'm not thrilled about that but it should be something different I guess

lmao 6 weeks. My code was in production by a single week, I can't imagine what they could possibly take 6 weeks teaching you unless the first day is literally hello world

• Locked thread