Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

AlphaKretin posted:

Also either I've been very unlucky or the matchmaking is atrocious, myself as an only-just-semi-pro was once with two rookies against two semis and a pro. That's the most extreme example but I've never been in an evenly matched game, it's always like 5/6-0/1.

Also either it's got iffy servers or very unforgiving latency detection because I lag like mad when I don't on other games.

Still love it to death :allears:

I've found that that issue goes away as you get higher rank. I almost never have uneven games since I hit pro.

I will second the gently caress out of people who hit the ball at all costs. Again, this mostly goes away at pro level or higher, but every once in a while I'll still get someone at pro or veteran level who seems to have no thoughts besides "MUST HIT BALL" and I am reminded of how unbelievably awful the early level games were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Man for the games that telltale seem to be making now(episodic CYOAs) their animations haven't really improved at all since their earlier adventure games. Playing Tales from the Borderlands after Witcher 3 made me really notice all it's jank.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing dragging Rocket League down is in matchmaking if a guy drops, they're replaced with a bot. The bot is pretty good and unaffected by lag so he's going to be the all-star in your game of low-level terrible players like you. Meanwhile, your own team is busy sabotaging their own up to that point almost assured victory.

Ryoshi posted:

I wonder how much of this, particularly the lag, is caused by PC/PS4 cross play shenanigans?

I didn't know there was cross-play, that's pretty cool.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I dunno, I tend to have better experiences with players. I've seen bots on my team slowly dribble the ball into our own goal. We're all on the other side of the arena because we expect the bot to actually remember which team it's on, before we slowly realize we must STOP THE BOT and try to get over there in time to get the ball away from it.

But it's too late so we get a slow mo replay of the worst goal in history as the bot just dribbles forward for 5 seconds.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

PubicMice posted:

The secret is to get naked and just loving run.

Or armor up, cast Iron Flesh and tank your way forward!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Bought Lords of the Fallen cheaply fully expecting it to be Dark Souls But Worse as people have been talking about, which it very much is, but fun enough. Still, at some points it really pisses me off because it tries so hard to be exactly Dark Souls and then misses the mark spectacularly.

For example, I just went into the Catacombs and beat the most boring boss in the universe, then I stand in its arena and have the following options:
- Door I came from
- Newly opened shortcut
- Giant door (closed)
- Small door (shuttered)

So I search everywhere for a lever, run circles around the catacombs, then decide I've had enough because the game seems to be a bitch again and look it up.

Turns out that I was NOT supposed to go into the catacombs right now, the door will open, but only after I was a good boy and did the main quest first. Never mind that the main quest tells me to go to the Graveyard (I think it did at least), and the door to the Catacombs is IN the graveyard; never mind that there is a SECOND door into the Catacombs from the first area. Hey, if you want your game to be excessively linear, unlike your ripped off source, then please tell me at the entrance of your apparently optional-until-later areas. Dark Souls 1 at least had the courtesy to put gigantic glowing golden doors with a clear "gently caress OFF UNTIL LATER" message in its similar spots, and those came way late and were pretty much the worst idea of the game.

Also:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Adding to things wrong with Lords of the Fallen, the last boss stands out. It's a big demon-looking thing that probably has some story significance, but I couldn't tell you what that is because the story is bad and I skipped over most of it. Combat in LotF is really clunky and there's not a whole lot you can do about it besides understanding which enemies are probably going to hit you during the course of fighting them and how much you need to heal to outlast it until the next checkpoint. In the first phase, the boss attacks really fast compared to other enemies so you have a tiny window where you can actually hit him without getting hit yourself. You'll likely take a lot of damage and use up a few potions during this phase, then when you hit him enough he'll jump up on the roof and summon a bunch of low-level enemies to fight and won't come down until they're all dead. While you're fighting these, he's healing himself while shooting lasers at you and there's nothing you can do about it. Since the combat is so bad, you'll probably be getting hit by the weak enemies multiple times as well as the lasers from the boss while whiffing your own attacks, ultimately taking too long and letting the boss heal too much, at which point he'll jump back down and you're basically back at square one but down a bunch of potions. The enemies summoned are the weakest, most predictable ones that exist but all the flaws of the game kind of come together to make it drat near impossible to deal with the situation.

I was playing the generic warrior class so maybe the faster characters can more successfully get some hits in without getting whacked a split second after, but the window seemed really small for the warrior. If anyone remembers the Theseus fight from God of War 2 where he's up on the roof shooting projectiles at you while you fight off waves of minotaurs, it's basically that only completely terrible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Since the combat is so bad, you'll probably be getting hit by the weak enemies multiple times as well as the lasers from the boss while whiffing your own attacks, ultimately taking too long and letting the boss heal too much, at which point he'll jump back down and you're basically back at square one but down a bunch of potions.

Getting hit and whiffing your attacks is usually a result of you being bad, not the game being bad. The end boss was lame and it was hard to care about anything thematically but it did come down to skill.

I found greathammers too slow to use for that fight but greataxes were just fast enough to work. You could also keep a faster weapon in your other equip slot and switch to it for the weak dudes. Strength gets ordinary swords which do the job.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Aug 31, 2015

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Getting hit and whiffing your attacks is usually a result of you being bad, not the game being bad.

Usually, but in this case I feel justified blaming it on the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I have no idea how to git gud in this miserable combat system. For example, there are dudes hiding behind shields like all the time, and on paper, you have a lot of options. Let's review.
- Circle around and backstab? Nope, their face is glued to yours. You can't roll around them like you could in Dark Souls, they snap towards you. Literally, there is no shuffling of feet here, they ALWAYS face you.
- Kick away their shield? Yes, like in Dark Souls, you have a kick move. It kicks away their shield. I attack immediately. They block. Either you have to use the fastest daggers ever invented to get that hit in after their shield is supposedly gone for a while, or I'm doing something really wrong.
- Evade when they're attacking, then counter? Good idea in general, but you can't really roll to the side of their combo (see: they snap towards you), the camera is really not well suited to you rolling around enemies anyway, and again, as soon as they're done poking, their shield is up instantly.
- Hit them again and again until their shield gets knocked away? Works, then you hit them once, then they immediately retalitate. Enemies in Lords don't have stamina bars. Also, hits with the biggest of hammers don't stagger completely unarmed enemies.
- PARRY? Hell yes the ultimate git gud move! Actually, this I had the most consistent success with, but the enemies do have a move that has maybe a tell, but it's really subtle if there even is one, then they ram their sword through you. It's so fast that it's really hard to parry, maybe you can't even parry it, and it deals a ton of damage. Not fun to have as a like one in five attack of theirs.
- but wait there is spells! Yeah, you can place a decoy. This works, kinda. Not in narrow corridors, but probably what is the intended way anyway (you start with the decoy). If they sincerely expect you to plop a decoy down for every single shield enemy, then that is seriously insane, though. You can (as Warrior, here) also cast Ram. This makes a ghostly you ram them. Deals damage (good) and knocks the shield away (great!). For how long? Uh, see the kick. loving...
Or you like one-shot them with Quake, which is The Big Spell. Cool, but I'll forsee this ceasing to work soon. Also, this is not a solution per se.

Still, exploring is kinda fun and it's an interesting puzzle to work around the limitations of how godawful the fights are.

The biggest insult, however, is an achievement called "The real Lords starts here".

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Depending on which shield enemies you're talking about, I could only figure out one reliable strategy for either. These are if you're using My Axe, which despite being found relatively early on manages to keep being way stronger than anything else you find for the entire duration of the game. This makes no sense at all since you can't upgrade anything beyond putting runes in sockets so generally new gear you come across is strictly better, yet My Axe does significantly more damage than the boss weapons and similar heavy weapons you find after it. Anyway:

- For the weaker shield enemies, run directly towards them and do a running attack. Their AI is dumb and will drop the shield to try and poke you every time, and will get 1-shot before the attack animation hits you.

- For the large knight enemies, back away from them until they start to charge. When they're a few steps away, hold down the charge attack so it hits them right as they drop the shield and they'll take damage and get staggered. Repeat until dead.

This is really, really boring but as you mentioned, every other attack straight up doesn't work against them. Either you cast Ram or Quake to do damage while ignoring their shield and then wait a really long time for your mana to regen, or you abuse the AI.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The thing dragging the MGS HD collection down for me it's its not available on Steam: Hopefully TPP will sell gangbusters and they'll put it out, surely its not that tricky to port the 360 version over?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

NonzeroCircle posted:

The thing dragging the MGS HD collection down for me it's its not available on Steam: Hopefully TPP will sell gangbusters and they'll put it out, surely its not that tricky to port the 360 version over?

I'm emulating mgs1 and gently caress the controls. Just gonna watch metal gear Scanlon until I get to 3. Then emulate poo poo. Don't know how I'm gonna play mgs4

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Play Splinter Cell then read a book backwards.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Play Splinter Cell then read a book backwards.
Play Splinter Cell then stop to read a whole book halfway through a level. Then before you start a new mission read another book then play for ten minutes then read another book.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Xinlum posted:

I'm emulating mgs1 and gently caress the controls. Just gonna watch metal gear Scanlon until I get to 3. Then emulate poo poo. Don't know how I'm gonna play mgs4

just skip it

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

just skip it

Basically this. If you do have a PS3, it's worth playing since it has the second best gameplay in the series after V (albeit not as much as the other games comparatively). but if you don't have a PS3 its sure as hell not worth buying one for it or jumping through hoops to play it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RBA Starblade posted:

The thing dragging Rocket League down is in matchmaking if a guy drops, they're replaced with a bot. The bot is pretty good and unaffected by lag so he's going to be the all-star in your game of low-level terrible players like you. Meanwhile, your own team is busy sabotaging their own up to that point almost assured victory.

I didn't know there was cross-play, that's pretty cool.

Wait, seriously? I've been in a few matches where I end up having to play a 2v3 or 3v2. Usually its someone ragequitting so maybe its only when the match has just started they get replaced by a bot?

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Away all Goats posted:

Wait, seriously? I've been in a few matches where I end up having to play a 2v3 or 3v2. Usually its someone ragequitting so maybe its only when the match has just started they get replaced by a bot?

It depends on if you're playing ranked or not. In ranked, no bots, no rejoining the match. It owns when you win while down a man.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Simply Simon posted:

"The real Lords starts here".

I hate this game already.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You will be happy to learn that the writing is total dogshit. There's dialogue choices in the game which painfully remind me why it's such a good thing that you only get monologued at in Dark Souls.
Because - and this is a first to me - apparently the writers have no idea how a dialogue tree works, as the characters never talk to each other no matter what you pick. It's insane how much they ignore each other's comments. It goes something like this:

[Woman you met once before when she talked about using a dagger to open portals or whatever]: "Hello, fancy meeting you here!"

[Your choices]:
> What is a portal?
> Who are you anyway?
> Leave

[Woman]: "I'm here to collect treasure!"

[Your choices]:
> What is a portal?
> Who are you anyway? [yes, you can keep asking]
> Leave

[Woman]: "If I can decipher the runes on this dagger, I can open the portal!"

I can't decide if they wanted to be deliberately obtuse in a hilariously inept attempt to mimic Dark Souls' not-quite-there characters, or if they are just plain loving incompetent at writing because holy poo poo :psyduck:.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Or armor up, cast Iron Flesh and tank your way forward!

Holy poo poo that would take forever.

The arrows on the buttress really aren't hard to avoid at all if you're traveling light. The bad part is when you get to the top thinking you've got a moment to breathe and have to immediately fight that knight on a tiny ledge while the other continues shooting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite part about Lords of the Fallen is that there are quests that ask for healing potions in return for loot. Instead of giving the guy a chug of your potion and keeping the bottle like you would think you permanently lose a healing potion for something significantly less useful than more healing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite part about Lords of the Fallen is that there are quests that ask for healing potions in return for loot. Instead of giving the guy a chug of your potion and keeping the bottle like you would think you permanently lose a healing potion for something significantly less useful than more healing.
Hahahahahaha

I just got 500 XP for doing this hahahahahahahahahaha this loving game

Also:

Two soldiers standing there like doofuses.

[Soldier] Help! We stumbled into the doom portal running from our duties and now there's a loving demon in the way!

> You loving idiots, go back!
> Yes I'll kill the next boss, as if I had a choice
> What about this guy?

Who? I guess someone is lying off camera because framing these talking scenes is hard, guys!

[Soldier] Yeah he's loving dying. Got a health potion?

> I guess?
> No.

Yolo.

[Soldier] Thanks a bunch! *gives me loving 500 XP, the same a normal enemy gives...twice*

> What about this guy?

I...get to ask about him again? Seriously?

> No.

I was seriously wondering if you could keep giving them potions, but no, you could just tell him to gently caress off over...and over...and over again. By the way:

[Soldier] We can't! Our commanding officer will do literally worse things to us than the millions of hosed-up demons surrounding us at this very moment! *one example walks by in the background all chill-like*

Oh well that settles that then. By the way, there is no way to kill the boss they're so afraid of at the moment, because the game forces me to backtrack OUT of the demon portal immediately by bullshit-locking some doors.

It's comedy at this point and I don't feel that deep into it already? I don't regret a cent I spent, this game is amazing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Simply Simon posted:

Hahahahahaha

I just got 500 XP for doing this hahahahahahahahahaha this loving game

Also:

Two soldiers standing there like doofuses.

[Soldier] Help! We stumbled into the doom portal running from our duties and now there's a loving demon in the way!

> What about this guy?

Who? I guess someone is lying off camera because framing these talking scenes is hard, guys!

> I guess?
> No.

Yolo.

[Soldier] Thanks a bunch! *gives me loving 500 XP, the same a normal enemy gives...twice*

> What about this guy?

I...get to ask about him again? Seriously?

> No.

I was seriously wondering if you could keep giving them potions, but no, you could just tell him to gently caress off over...and over...and over again. By the way:

[Soldier] We can't! Our commanding officer will do literally worse things to us than the millions of hosed-up demons surrounding us at this very moment! *one example walks by in the background all chill-like*

Oh well that settles that then. By the way, there is no way to kill the boss they're so afraid of at the moment, because the game forces me to backtrack OUT of the demon portal immediately by bullshit-locking some doors.

It's comedy at this point and I don't feel that deep into it already? I don't regret a cent I spent, this game is amazing.

Yeah I was the one talking about it before. I did finally beat it, but the writing is terrible.

The combat is actually pretty fun though (excluding the bullshit huge shield guys you talked about, they can gently caress off to hell)

Once you start to Rune up your stuff the game can pretty much be trivialized though. Also, I'm pretty sure the studio that did it is German, so the translation may not be 100% perfect, and I think that would explain some of the dialogue. But that excuses the dialogue, not the bullshit story lol.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I am German. We usually respond with answers to questions asked of us that pertain to the question in question.

EDIT: unless you're called Angela Merkel

EDIT²:

Simply Simon has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Sep 1, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Getting more health out of potion uses is a pretty drat good trade.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I finished a playthrough of Until Dawn, a really good CYOA-horror game in the vein of the Telltale games, but better. Really enjoyed it, but (disregarding a couple weird story bumps) a few things felt really out of place:

- There's one jump scare in the game that is absolutely random and out-of-place. There's a lot of jumpscares, but generally it's old horror movie tradition, like you'll zoom into a door as it's slooowly opening....then BAM something jumps out. But this scare is literally just a still image that flashes on the screen (with a musical sting, maybe? I don't remember) while you're looking through the eyes of the character you're controlling. There's no reason for it, the character doesn't comment or react to it, and it only happens once. It's so bizarre that it feels like it was something they forgot to take out.

- Characters jump into waist-deep water more than once. In Alberta, Canada. In the snowy winter mountains. That poo poo would feel like tiny knives stabbing them, and good luck not catching hypothermia. Related: someone runs around in a tank top for a good...I don't know thirty minutes, while outside.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
So I've been loving MGS5 a lot, but, man, finding out ---Paz--- is still alive after all this time is definitely stretching my believability

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

The story in Lords of the fallen made me think of trying to read every other page of a book. Like, I don't think I ever understood who anyone was, or why I was doing any of it.

I really appreciated the silliness it added to the experience.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Every time I start The Phantom Pain I have to dismiss 10 messages saying

"Servers are currently down"
"We apologize for the server outage""
"Servers have been restored"
"Servers are down again"

I wish I could just check an "I don't give a gently caress about this game's online functionality" option and never see them again.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The Moon Monster posted:

Every time I start The Phantom Pain I have to dismiss 10 messages saying

"Servers are currently down"
"We apologize for the server outage""
"Servers have been restored"
"Servers are down again"

I wish I could just check an "I don't give a gently caress about this game's online functionality" option and never see them again.

Can't you just unplug your ethernet cable?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Getting more health out of potion uses is a pretty drat good trade.

That wasn't the reward for the quest I was thinking of.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

Can't you just unplug your ethernet cable?

I suppose I could do that. I mean it would be pretty stupid, considering that unplugging and replugging my ethernet cable every time I played MGS5 would be a bigger pain in the rear end than scrolling through those messages, but I could.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Or you know, crazy idea here but people could just cut that poo poo out and not have always online DRM in single player games anymore. Because gently caress that. While I'm at it what ruins all the games that do this is another launcher on top of Steam. It's protected enough from just Steam so stop being assholes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Morglon posted:

It's protected enough from just Steam so stop being assholes.

Boy, it sure seems like you think Steam in and of itself provides anti-piracy protection to anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Boy, it sure seems like you think Steam in and of itself provides anti-piracy protection to anything.

For the most part it does, and its not like any of the 3rd party programs do anything steam doesn't.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Morglon posted:

Or you know, crazy idea here but people could just cut that poo poo out and not have always online DRM in single player games anymore. Because gently caress that. While I'm at it what ruins all the games that do this is another launcher on top of Steam. It's protected enough from just Steam so stop being assholes.

MGSV doesn't even have always online DRM though :confused:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Morglon posted:

Good thing Phantom Pain doesn't have always online DRM then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
As far as I know, Phantom Pain instead has vaguely Dark Souls-style player interactions.

I say 'as far as I know', because they've had daily server maintenance that takes place at the point when I start playing Phantom Pain every night, so I've never been able to use it.