Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Celery Face posted:

Here's the part that got me.

And then Peter apparently died a few months after that article. Everyone involved seems like a big lump of turds with the reporter-turd positioned on top decrying turd-dom, Ubu Roi was an appropriate reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Celery Face posted:

In 1995, SF Weekly tracked down the surviving neighbour (he died of liver failure the year after) and did an interview with him. I almost cried reading it. Don't get me wrong, the tapes are hilarious but when you find out about the background stuff, it gets depressing fast.
http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/shut-up-little-man/Content?oid=2132286

I'm disappointed that the article decided not to name the guys who recorded the conversation and distributed it. It seems like it would have been fitting for their names to be out there after what happened.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Celery Face posted:

In the late 80's, two young men moved into a crappy apartment in San Francisco, next door to a couple of old, angry drunks. The roommates got so fed up with the constant arguing that they put it on tape and passed copies around their friends. It went viral.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up,_Little_Man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttynUsu7Dxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6HmtpHKPIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJspYSFBxtk

In 1995, SF Weekly tracked down the surviving neighbour (he died of liver failure the year after) and did an interview with him. I almost cried reading it. Don't get me wrong, the tapes are hilarious but when you find out about the background stuff, it gets depressing fast.
http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/shut-up-little-man/Content?oid=2132286

Yeah I've seen these posted here as humor before but it's all so mind-numbingly depressing I've never been able to listen for more than a minute or so

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Her boyfriend was suicidal and she encouraged him to do it so people would feel sorry for her and she could get to be a famous advocate? That somehow seems even worse than just run of the mill bullying.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Her boyfriend was suicidal and she encouraged him to do it so people would feel sorry for her and she could get to be a famous advocate? That somehow seems even worse than just run of the mill bullying.

How long did you have that page of this thread open for cause I feel like that conversation is from like a week ago

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

How long did you have that page of this thread open for cause I feel like that conversation is from like a week ago

It was, but it was reposted near the end of last page.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Didn't see this posted - I searched the thread for 'Elisa', apologies if someone posted it without the name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elisa_Lam

Elisa Lam was a student, found dead in the rooftop water tank of a seedy hotel. There were no signs of any kind of assault on her body. She was bipolar, but there was nothing to suggest she deliberately took her own life (in any case, voluntarily drowning oneself has got to be near impossible, right?). No drugs, other than normal levels of her bipolar medication, were found in her system.

What was clear is that she was behaving very strangely, shortly before her death, as seen in elevator CCTV footage of her last moments. There are numerous theories to explain her behaviour, including the paranormal - she was possessed. She was performing a ritual on the elevator, to get it to take her to another dimension. No such explanation is required to be thoroughly creeped out by the footage. Psychosis brought on by her bipolar, seems to be the explanation most are drawn to.

Personally, I find the idea of being completely immersed in your own psychotic reality incredibly unnerving. What was she seeing and hearing? What was she reacting to? Where did she think she was? The idea too, that this can come about without the aid of drugs or hypnosis, from a extremely common condition.

Anyway, here's the video. Looks like a run of the mill sleepwalk, until the totally bizarre hand movements at around 02:00

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's been posted a buncha times. That said yes it is pretty unsettling.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

she ate hella mdma

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also she drowned herself in the tank that fed the showers, right? I remember some of the guests were complaining about how the water smelled funny...

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Also she drowned herself in the tank that fed the showers, right? I remember some of the guests were complaining about how the water smelled funny...

Even worse; it fed the taps, so for a week people were drinking and brushing their teeth with that water and complaining it tasted bad......

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, but their clothes were probably never cleaner.

Ancient Chinese Secret
I know she wasn't Chinese

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
fart fart fart

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Isn't recording people like that illegal? Or is there no expectation of privacy if you're that loud.

The laws on this vary place to place and I seriously doubt many of them were on the books the 80s anyway.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Fresh from where I live:

21 men arrested in Gainesville sex crime sting

Seemed like your average, run of the mill, online-underage-sexual-predator-sting until I got to this gem...

quote:

Of those arrested, one had a prior lewd and lascivious molestation conviction, one was on federal probation for a weapons charge, and one had a bat, rubber gloves, rope and a tarp in his car when he went to meet the child.

:dogbutton:

But wait! Law enforcement is doing detective work! Asking the hard questions!

quote:

“He has not admitted to any nefarious purposes for those items, but it's obviously still concerning,”

No. loving. poo poo. "Concerning" isn't QUITE the word I had in mind. And no guys, this isn't Scooby Doo where you catch the bad guy and he spills the beans on what his nefarious plan was... Jackasses.

It's terrifying to think what that dude had in mind though.

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Sep 3, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm sure this must have been read by multiple people here already, but there's been considerable news today about refugees from the Syrian crisis going through Europe. Recently, refugees were allowed to travel to Germany and Austria through Hungary without requiring visa checks. Needless to say, this has caused a major movement of refugees who were currently stuck in Hungary, but the public transportation of Hungary is not made to cope with so many people all going West, which has lead to moments of potential disaster, not helped at all by the Hungarian PM.

However, the whole situation was recently encapsulated by photographs of the aftermath of a boat carrying refugees - overloaded with passangers - that had capsized. Corpses were found washing up on the shores of Turkey, most horrifyingly that of three-year old child. He was born during the Syrian crisis; he had never known a life without war. His family were trying to leave, desperately, to get to family in Canada. He, his brother and his mother all drowned, along with others from that capsizing. Now only the father remains. He wishes to just return to Syria to bury them.

There's not much else that can be said about this.

Just don't read the Daily Mail's response to it.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Going back a few pages, the whole influenced memory thing can be as simple as this:

When I was like 6 or 7, a friend of mine had his birthday party at the local laser tag place.
The room where we put our vests on was called the airlock, and I remember the marshall being really into it.
Like the whole "Your enemies are out to destroy you, so make sure you get them first," schtick.
We had fun, ate pizza and ice cream cake, gave our friend his presents, then went home.
The next day we were talking about how much we'd owned one another, and this one kid was saying how awesome it was when the airlock started shaking.

Flash forward 11 years.

I began working at said laser tag place. I asked the owner how they got the airlock to shake like when I was a kid, but he told me it had never done that.
Unless there was an earthquake, which I doubt, this was a memory implanted by an excited friend.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Kobane, the same town where there was much fanfare about the Kurdish forces and American airstrikes. Now its residents understandably want to flee that semi necropolis and are refused.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

The Endbringer posted:

Going back a few pages, the whole influenced memory thing can be as simple as this:

When I was like 6 or 7, a friend of mine had his birthday party at the local laser tag place.
The room where we put our vests on was called the airlock, and I remember the marshall being really into it.
Like the whole "Your enemies are out to destroy you, so make sure you get them first," schtick.
We had fun, ate pizza and ice cream cake, gave our friend his presents, then went home.
The next day we were talking about how much we'd owned one another, and this one kid was saying how awesome it was when the airlock started shaking.

Flash forward 11 years.

I began working at said laser tag place. I asked the owner how they got the airlock to shake like when I was a kid, but he told me it had never done that.
Unless there was an earthquake, which I doubt, this was a memory implanted by an excited friend.

Nobody cares.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Endbringer posted:

Flash forward 11 years.

Jesus christ. You thought you could have died.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That poo poo happens all the damned time. I thought I remembered riding the monorail at Epcot when I was a kid, but my parents said it was broken everytime we were there. Memories are often wrong.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

That poo poo happens all the damned time. I thought I remembered riding the monorail at Epcot when I was a kid, but my parents said it was broken everytime we were there. Memories are often wrong.
I remember you being on the monorail, you asked me for gum. I gave you poison. I have never been to Disney World. :tinfoil:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Samovar posted:

I'm sure this must have been read by multiple people here already, but there's been considerable news today about refugees from the Syrian crisis going through Europe. Recently, refugees were allowed to travel to Germany and Austria through Hungary without requiring visa checks. Needless to say, this has caused a major movement of refugees who were currently stuck in Hungary, but the public transportation of Hungary is not made to cope with so many people all going West, which has lead to moments of potential disaster, not helped at all by the Hungarian PM.

However, the whole situation was recently encapsulated by photographs of the aftermath of a boat carrying refugees - overloaded with passangers - that had capsized. Corpses were found washing up on the shores of Turkey, most horrifyingly that of three-year old child. He was born during the Syrian crisis; he had never known a life without war. His family were trying to leave, desperately, to get to family in Canada. He, his brother and his mother all drowned, along with others from that capsizing. Now only the father remains. He wishes to just return to Syria to bury them.

There's not much else that can be said about this.

Just don't read the Daily Mail's response to it.

Jesus Christ. The bureaucratic mishandling of humanitarian endeavors is timeless. Perhaps a system designed to negate individual will lacks the compassionate imagination required to effectively help others?

The thing that scares me most about Orson Welles' speech at the end of The Third Man is that he has to be right about most of it. Nobody notices if one of the dots stops moving.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

I remember you being on the monorail, you asked me for gum. I gave you poison. I have never been to Disney World. :tinfoil:

:aaaaa: I KNEW it!

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

If you're like me and you love hiking, you've probably sat under the stars in the middle of nowhere, enjoying the fact that you're the only human around for miles. If you're on a well-known and popular route like the Appalachian Trail, you're probably enjoying the mix of solitude and meeting other like-minded hikers. At no point do you expect to be brutally murdered.

Outside Magazine posted:

It is a quiet, restorative place, this clearing high on a Pennsylvania ridge. Ferns and wildflowers carpet its floor. Sassafras and tulip trees, tall oak and hickory stand tight at its sides, their leaves hissing in breezes that sweep from the valley below. Cloistered from civilization by a steep 900-foot climb over loose and jutting rock, the glade goes unseen by most everyone but a straggle of hikers on the Appalachian Trail, the 2,180-mile footpath carved into the roofs of 14 eastern states.

Those travelers have rested here for more than half a century. At the clearing’s edge stands an open-faced shelter of heavy timber, one of 260 huts built roughly a day’s walk apart on the AT’s wriggling, roller-coaster course from Maine to Georgia. It’s tall and airy and skylit, with a deep porch, two tiers of wooden bunks, and a picnic table.

A few feet away stood the ancient log lean-to it replaced. When I visited this past spring, saplings and tangled brier so colonized the old shelter’s footprint that I might have missed it, had I not slept there myself. Twenty-five summers ago, I pulled into what was called the Thelma Marks shelter, near the halfway point of a southbound through-hike. I met a stranger in the old lean-to, talked with him under its low roof as we fired up our stoves and cooked dinner.

Eight nights later, a southbound couple I’d befriended early in my hike followed me into Thelma Marks. They met a stranger there, too.

What he did to them left wounds that didn’t close as neatly as that fading rectangle in the forest floor. It prompted outdoorsmen and trail officials to rethink conventional wisdom long held dear: that safety lies in numbers, that the wilds offer escape from senseless violence, and that when trouble does visit, it’s always near some nexus with civilization—a road, a park, the fringe of a town.

This wasn't the first murder on the trail nor the last. As another unnerving example, in 1981 a man named Randall Lee Smith murdered a pair of campers, for no apparent reason. He was caught, sent to jail, got out after 15 years for good behaviour and then did it again.

When you encounter wild animals on the trail you know they may be dangerous if provoked and you therefore know to keep your distance. When you encounter humans, you could share a meal, shoot the poo poo and make new friends. Or things could turn ugly fast with no one there to help you.

A Furious Foetus
Aug 15, 2009
Got a request!

Ages ago I read someone's post on SA (can't remember the thread, feel like it might have been one of the mysteries threads) about a woman who went out in the wilderness somewhere in the US and when she got home from her trip and reviewed the photographs she found pictures someone else had taken of her while she was asleep in her tent. I thought it was creepy as gently caress and want les to read more about it but can't find anything. I know it's a bit vague but if anyone has any more info that'd be great!

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

A Furious Foetus posted:

Got a request!

Ages ago I read someone's post on SA (can't remember the thread, feel like it might have been one of the mysteries threads) about a woman who went out in the wilderness somewhere in the US and when she got home from her trip and reviewed the photographs she found pictures someone else had taken of her while she was asleep in her tent. I thought it was creepy as gently caress and want les to read more about it but can't find anything. I know it's a bit vague but if anyone has any more info that'd be great!

Pretty sure that's an urban legend. Still creepy though.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

A Furious Foetus posted:

Got a request!

I found this http://www.snopes.com/risque/caught/snapshot.asp :shrug:

quote:

My friend told me that this happened to a friend of a friend (of course). She decided to hike the Appalachian Trail alone. She traveled the entire length of the trail and took seven rolls of film with her. She camped in the woods along the way.

When she returned home, she took her film to get it developed. When she picked up the film, there were pictures on five of those rolls of her sleeping.

Sounds like an interesting read. Maybe it was posted in one of the ghost story threads?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Norrskensren posted:

If you're like me and you love hiking, you've probably sat under the stars in the middle of nowhere, enjoying the fact that you're the only human around for miles. If you're on a well-known and popular route like the Appalachian Trail, you're probably enjoying the mix of solitude and meeting other like-minded hikers. At no point do you expect to be brutally murdered.

Joke's on you. I expect to be brutally murdered every time I leave my house

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

hah Ya know, I was gonna ask about another creepy camping murder thing...but my memory is now so polluted with all the other creepy muder things, I can't frame a question at all. :saddowns:

Here is my attempt:
Three (women?) people murdered in secluded cabin in the woods out west(??) no one is caught. Three women(??) killed in the same area at a different cabin years and years later and it turned out to be a creepy drifter(???).

I remember being really weirded out by it happening at the time(mid to late 90????), and then reading about the second instance(in the 2000's???) and wondering if they ever linked the two.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

hah Ya know, I was gonna ask about another creepy camping murder thing...but my memory is now so polluted with all the other creepy muder things, I can't frame a question at all. :saddowns:

Here is my attempt:
Three (women?) people murdered in secluded cabin in the woods out west(??) no one is caught. Three women(??) killed in the same area at a different cabin years and years later and it turned out to be a creepy drifter(???).

I remember being really weirded out by it happening at the time(mid to late 90????), and then reading about the second instance(in the 2000's???) and wondering if they ever linked the two.

Doesn't sound familiar. (?????????)(??????)(????)

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Joke's on you. I expect to be brutally murdered every time I leave my house

Serves me right for assuming goons ever go outside.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Here is my attempt:

SKULL FOREST??????????????

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Here is my attempt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keddie_murders

This one?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I think that is it. But I'm also sure I've mixed another one up in my mind with it. It's kind of freaky that there are enough "cabin murders" it's easy to confuse and combine them :(

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Norrskensren posted:

Serves me right for assuming goons ever go outside.

That's just an excuse, we all know they're just the world's shittiest vampires and will burst into flame encountering any light brighter than their LCD

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Snopes posted:

Though the story of the hunted hiker is more folklore than fact (would anyone night after night sleep through having her campsite invaded or the repeated flash of the camera?), in 2004 there was an instance of disturbing photographs' being discovered among those taken by a group of cheerleaders who had stayed at the Broker Inn, a hotel near the site of a cheerleading camp they'd been attending in Boulder, Colorado. The photos developed from four of the girls' cameras contained snapshots of a nude man making use of their rooms while they were off learning new cheers. (The girls left their cameras at the hotel at various times during their stay.) The man, who had been careful to keep his face hidden, was pictured moving about their rooms, placing his genitals on their personal items, including makeup bags and Gatorade bottles.

Jesus loving Christ.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That last one was kind of a funny prank until the last part.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It's a good way to get GatorAIDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Frostwerks posted:

It's a good way to get GatorAIDS