Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

melon cat posted:

If he had $500K in liquid savings lying around, his primary lender wouldn't have any problem lending him more than $50,000. I don't know if you've ever worked in a lending position at a financial institution, but in case you haven't- having a significant amount in liquid savings reflects very well on a credit applicant. Because if he had $500K lying around, it's something that the bank can easily fall back on, and it reflects good savings habits. But the OP's in a situation where his primary lender is flat-out refusing to lend him more than the amount of credit that he's applying for. Chances are that he just barely qualified for that $50,000 loan that he initially asked for, otherwise they would've made changes to the final numbers.

Yes, I'm making a lot of assumptions here. But so are you. I'm assuming that his lending capacity is already maxed out, based on his preferred lender's lending decision. But you're making an even more dangerous assumption- that he somehow has $500K in liquid savings just lying around.

That's not a common banking practice at all. Most financial institutions have a credit adjudication process for applicants who apply for for higher than normal amounts (or if their application is initially declined, but exceptional circumstances would make them a credit-worthy applicant), whereas the application just goes to a second level of decision-making for a second credit analysis. Very common. And if it didn't progress to that point, then the bank likely didn't see any value in escalating the application to the second-level of the application process.

fuckin' goons, just look it up.

https://www.huecu.org/auto-loans/rates/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

melon cat posted:

If he had $500K in liquid savings lying around, his primary lender wouldn't have any problem lending him more than $50,000. I don't know if you've ever worked in a lending position at a financial institution, but in case you haven't- having a significant amount in liquid savings reflects very well on a credit applicant. Because if he had $500K lying around, it's something that the bank can easily fall back on, and it reflects good savings habits. But the OP's in a situation where his primary lender is flat-out refusing to lend him more than the amount of credit that he's applying for. Chances are that he just barely qualified for that $50,000 loan that he initially asked for, otherwise they would've made changes to the final numbers.

Yes, I'm making a lot of assumptions here. But so are you. I'm assuming that his lending capacity is already maxed out, based on his preferred lender's lending decision. But you're making an even more dangerous assumption- that he somehow has $500K in liquid savings just lying around.

That's not a common banking practice at all. Most financial institutions have a credit adjudication process for applicants who apply for for higher than normal amounts (or if their application is initially declined, but exceptional circumstances would make them a credit-worthy applicant), whereas the application just goes to a second level of decision-making for a second credit analysis. Very common. And if it didn't progress to that point, then the bank likely didn't see any value in escalating the application to the second-level of the application process.

This is all very reasonable and I don't necessarily disagree. My wild assumptions are just a counterpoint to your wild assumptions. I know it's a slow day and all, I just don't see a lot to go by on that one little post to immediately call him/her BWM.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

~drops mic~

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Eh? I'm not disputing the info that's in the link or anything, but do they really just say, "Max of $50K. Get lost, bro", regardless of the client? Because if they do, what do their high net worth/private banking clients do when they come looking for extensive credit?

I'm not asking rhetorical questions, by the way. I'm legitimately curious as to what they do when someone with serious assets and collateral comes looking for credit. Because I have a hard time believing that they're willing to let go of a giant loan for a solid client because of a rigid lending policy.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 1, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They probably do tell them to pound sand after that. It's not all that odd. Not every bank or credit union is going to have the capital or investors to lend every jagoff 100k for their new luxury mcmobile.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a credit union for Harvard employees (who typically make less than $200,000/year) and their families so they're not exactly chasing away the Kennedy's with their loan limits.

Also the Reddit poster asked for help buying his wife a gift with "a large budget (~$500?) as she is a wonderful lady and I am perenially outdone in the gift-giving department"

I maintain that anyone who thinks $500 is a large budget for their wife's birthday, they're Too Poor for a $130,000 car.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I maintain that anyone who thinks $500 is a large budget for their wife's birthday, they're Too Poor for a $130,000 car.

Do you have a newsletter or is financial phrenology just a hobby?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have a newsletter or is financial phrenology just a hobby?

Either way it has to compete with Star Wars and Kids in the Hall merch.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's a credit union for Harvard employees (who typically make less than $200,000/year) and their families so they're not exactly chasing away the Kennedy's with their loan limits.

Also the Reddit poster asked for help buying his wife a gift with "a large budget (~$500?) as she is a wonderful lady and I am perenially outdone in the gift-giving department"

Well I bought my wife a $30k van and I think a large budget for her birthday would be about $100 so if we scale up from there, he's actually spending less than he could on the Model X.

What I'm saying is that it's stupid to think that anyone who can afford a Tesla is asking for advice on how to afford said Tesla.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I am around amholes every day and while there's a ton of people making way into the six figures it does not mean they know how to do anything at all with their money. Assuming that because someone makes a bunch of money, they know what to do with that money, is a stupid assumption.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
You motherfuckers and your motherfucking sous vide machines what the gently caress is wrong with you just put the meat in a motherfucking ziploc bag and motherfucking boil it motherfucking voila gently caress your sous vide machine motherfuckers.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tigntink posted:

I am around amholes every day and while there's a ton of people making way into the six figures it does not mean they know how to do anything at all with their money. Assuming that because someone makes a bunch of money, they know what to do with that money, is a stupid assumption.

If you make "six figures" it does not mean you have money. It does not mean you can afford a 130k car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

You motherfuckers and your motherfucking sous vide machines what the gently caress is wrong with you just put the meat in a motherfucking ziploc bag and motherfucking boil it motherfucking voila gently caress your sous vide machine motherfuckers.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tigntink posted:

This is exactly what I'm getting at. And if you're mulling over the mostly-financed purchase of a Tesla vehicle, the last place you should go asking for advice is a Tesla Motors enthusiast Internet forum. Because somehow, I don't think that you're going to get sound, un-biased buying advice on your Tesla from a car forum full of Tesla owners.

I am too goddamned poor for a Sous Vide.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

melon cat posted:

This is exactly what I'm getting at. And if you're mulling over the mostly-financed purchase of a Tesla vehicle, the last place you should go looking for is a Tesla enthusiasts Internet forum. Becausesomehow, I don't think that you're going to get biased, sound buying advice on your Tesla fro a car forum full of Tesla owners.

Sure, but "went to the wrong place for advice" doesn't mean "can't afford the purchase in question". But he's not asking if he should buy one, he's asking for financing information, and it's quite likely that some other owners of six-figure cars have had to deal with similar loan limits.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

"Voila"? "Sous vide"? what are you, too rich to speak american like the rest of us?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the sous vide post would have been an excellent troll if it were intended that way, it got me...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

If you make "six figures" it does not mean you have money. It does not mean you can afford a 130k car.

He said "way into the six figures". It's interesting because I think most people identify this as well on the way from $100k to $200k, but one could also interpret this as $500k+, on the way to 7 figures.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Wow, those mortgage rates are poo poo for a university-affiliated CU: https://www.huecu.org/home-loans/rates/

I went with a private lender and good, not great credit and got the exact same rate.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

moana posted:

"Voila"? "Sous vide"? what are you, too rich to speak american like the rest of us?

Here, I fixed it for you:

You motherfuckers and your motherfucking soose vyde machines what the gently caress is wrong with you just put the meat in a motherfucking ziploc bag and motherfucking boil it and eat it off the floor like a animal motherfucking walla gently caress your soose vyde machine motherfuckers.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.
I'm not only too poor for sous vide, I'm too poor to know what it is.

I'm also too poor to google it.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But he also has a wife who's into sous vide (rich person hobby)

A $100 kitchen gadget is a rich person hobby now? What the gently caress is that logic?

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

DJCobol posted:

A $100 kitchen gadget is a rich person hobby now? What the gently caress is that logic?

It's in french. French stuff is posh.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

jaymeekae posted:

It's in french. French stuff is posh.
Yeah, didn't you see Elysium? French people rule the world from a satellite paradise.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Junius posted:

I'm not only too poor for sous vide, I'm too poor to know what it is.

I'm also too poor to google it.

You can cook your meat to a perfect temperature, and throw it on a grill/griddle/whatever to finish the exterior.

There's a cheaper way to do this here, called a reverse sear:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cooking_temps.html

WobblySausage fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 2, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DJCobol posted:

Who is the poorest person you know that does sous vide?

Think about it

moana posted:

Yeah, didn't you see Elysium? French people rule the world from a satellite paradise.

You are actually my favorite poster on the forums A+++

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

moana posted:

That movie was an FF13 retelling.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I'm imagining a future BFC where posters convince each other that they have too much student debt to afford housing on Elysium.

Also, discussion on whether you should finance your exoskeleton suit, or if that money would be better off in a roth.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 2, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm imagining a future BFC where posters convince each other that they have too much student debt to afford housing on Elysium.

You have to buy a sensible used rocket paid in cash for flight to Elysium to earn the approval of future BFC

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised that nobody has shredded the latest piece of fine journalism from vice media: retirement planning for millenials

I want to know what magic land they're living in where you can find 1% savings account.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 2, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MC Hawking posted:

I want to know what magic land they're living in where you can find 1% savings account.

http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/savi...king_MMASavings

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MC Hawking posted:

I'm surprised that nobody has shredded the latest piece of fine journalism from vice media: retirement planning for millenials

0.95% is readily available to anyone in the USA. https://www.discoverbank.com

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You have to buy a sensible used rocket paid in cash for flight to Elysium to earn the approval of future BFC

gently caress YES. I love Elysium and this is my favorite derail.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

MC Hawking posted:

I'd like to present an interesting case study, to you. The Toronto star recently published an article titled, Twentysomethings sapping their parents’ bank accounts, which talks about how young adults in their early 20s are unable to achieve financial independence.

But on the same page (to the left of the linked article from above), it shows a thumbnail for another article: ‘Unlivable’ Beach house sells for $1 million.

It's absurd. Almost funny in a really sad way. Because, yeah. There are a lot of young people with bad financial habits. But not only is the current real estate market totally bonkers, but nobody is having a serious conversation about the importance of being good with money. Retirees/soon-to-be-pensioners still expect young people to buy their first house out of college 'Just like I was able to in 1960' and at the same time and pay their way through school by working a part-time job (LOL). And a lot of young people think that they'll be able to own a home and retire comfortable because "A lot of baby boomers are retiring, soon! My mom told me so!" And here in Toronto, there are a lot of people buying $600-$700K homes as their "starter home".

Everyone has their blinders on. And it's a really unfortunate and dangerous thing. Because as long as people have this unrealistic financial perspective, they'll continue to be really bad with money. I still remember working multiple part-time jobs during the recession in '07-'08, and my mom giving me poo poo about, "Why can't you find a nice office job?" as if I enjoyed working part-time with variable hours and no benefits. And at the same time, a lot of people I graduated with were taking out loans so they could go on vacation. Then they'd shrug and say, "I can always roll in my student loan with my mortgage, so I'm not really concerned."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 2, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

quote:

we learned things like how to balance a checkbook—a skill that became all but obsolete with the invention of Venmo.

well...he's half right, I'm not sure how a implies b but you know

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

0.95% is readily available to anyone in the USA. https://www.discoverbank.com

If you can deal with the NZD currency fluctuations you can get up to 3.9% here.
http://www.interest.co.nz/saving/e-saver-online

melon cat posted:

It's absurd. Almost funny in a really sad way. Because, yeah. There are a lot of young people with bad financial habits. But not only is the current real estate market totally bonkers, but nobody is having a serious conversation about the importance of being good with money. Retirees/soon-to-be-pensioners still expect young people to buy their first house out of college 'Just like I was able to in 1960' and at the same time and pay their way through school by working a part-time job (LOL). And a lot of young people think that they'll be able to own a home and retire comfortable because "A lot of baby boomers are retiring, soon! My mom told me so!" And here in Toronto, there are a lot of people buying $600-$700K homes as their "starter home".

Everyone has their blinders on. And it's a really unfortunate and dangerous thing. Because as long as people have this unrealistic financial perspective, they'll continue to be really bad with money. I still remember working multiple part-time jobs during the recession in '07-'08, and my mom giving me poo poo about, "Why can't you find a nice office job?" as if I enjoyed working part-time with variable hours and no benefits. And at the same time, a lot of people I graduated with were taking out loans so they could go on vacation. Then they'd shrug and say, "I can always roll in my student loan with my mortgage, so I'm not really concerned."

The retired population is going to keep increasing for the next 25-30 years which is going to create a huge financial burden on most western countries. That will fall on tax payers to pay for. I don't see things improving any time soon.

I do feel sorry for your friends thinking they could just attach their student loans to a mortgage by magic and make all the payment issues disappear. I'm sure some of them regretted borrowing for holidays like some of my friends who used loans to go skiing and buy cars.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 2, 2015

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

In all seriousness this guy is pretty awesome. He just paid some family's rent for a year, because one of the family members was having a medical problem and couldn't work.

edit: forgot the picture

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Devian666 posted:

The retired population is going to keep increasing for the next 25-30 years which is going to create a huge financial burden on most western countries. That will fall on tax payers to pay for. I don't see things improving any time soon.

Not unless Google's immortality project bears fruit, at least.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure problems relating to immortality can be resolved by chopping people's heads off.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I'm pretty sure problems relating to immortality can be resolved by chopping people's heads off.
I'm pretty sure problems relating to our ageing population can be resolved by chopping people's heads off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Lump posted:

I'm pretty sure problems relating to our ageing population can be resolved by chopping people's heads off.

The problem I have with this is that I'll be 68 when the peak retirement population hits. I might have to expand my weapon collection.

• Locked thread