Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Hazo posted:

Done. Cool survey. Anybody want to tell me what the last snake was? I just put "Colubrid, nonvenomous." v:v:v

I went with Bullsnake. No idea if I was right beyond it being what you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

Done. Cool survey. Anybody want to tell me what the last snake was? I just put "Colubrid, nonvenomous." v:v:v

:Looked like some kind of water snake to me. The lumps on the back of it's head were questionable with it's camo vs the general build of the snake and the face. My answer was "I'd carefully put it elsewhere, as I'm not positive it's venomous or not" but I'm leaning venomous.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I put nerodia, nonvenomous but idk for sure

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Hazo posted:

Screenshot it. I'm too drowsy for a survey

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Here is the photo in question (I think)

99.9% sure it's Nerodia
I thinnnnnnnkkkkk Green watersnake, but I would need locality data to make a call on species with any degree of confidence.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Like, if it's something venomous it's a baby something venomous and it looks awfully long to be a baby anything. I'm guessing it's doing that stupid rear end "lol kill me I'm a venomous snake" poo poo that nerodia tend to do as a defense mechanism that makes people chop their little heads off. The angle of the picture has me thrown to beat all hell. It's really annoying. It's definitely no cottonmouth or copperhead I've ever seen.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Snek cartoons for you :kimchi:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ZarathustraFollower posted:

99.9% sure it's Nerodia
I thinnnnnnnkkkkk Green watersnake, but I would need locality data to make a call on species with any degree of confidence.
Yeah, looks like a young green watersnake like the ones that were all over the roads when I visited the Everglades, but I'm from the west coast so your complicated Nerodia complex frightens and confuses me. Assuming it's a US species it's definitely non-venomous since it's not a viper and obviously not a coral snake.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

99.9% sure it's Nerodia

Dog faced water snake. Cerberus rynchops.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Went to allreptiles.com Friday after work and picked up this thermostat for 1 year anniversary with Mr Burrows.

Then I got home and fed him. Going to wait until Sunday to get him out of tank, lift it up, set the probe in place and dial in the temp. Will probably set 2 Celsius degree night drop.

Need to get some photos too, he's grown considerably in the past 12 months.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 29, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

I've never seen a dog faced water snake with that wonky rear end patterning. Weird morph thing going on? Or were my zoo's just boring? And hey I was right. It IS venomous.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

It's not a Cerberus rynchops. Look at the frontal scale, in Cerberus that scale doesn't extend past the post-orbital, and completely lack the parietal scales that are visible on the unknown snake.
Illustration of Cerberus rynchops scalation from wikipedia

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CerebrusRynchopsScales.svg

Photo of a dog-faced snake in shed showing that scalation

Source: http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/dog-faced_water-snake.htm

Photo of a diamond-backed water snake head:

Banded water snake head:

That's the first thing I noticed, but it probably has something to do with the fact I spent several hours this week with every single racer and couchwhip specimen my uni has looking at head scales to find any difference.

Edit: One thing that really pissed me off about that survey was the question "Name three native herp species in your area that you think need less federal/state protection" There was no version or option that more protection is needed across the board, which is what I ended up typing in. Herps have some of the lowest relative legal status among vertebrates and what they do have is ill-enforced.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 29, 2015

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

It's not a Cerberus rynchops. Look at the frontal scale, in Cerberus that scale doesn't extend past the post-orbital, and completely lack the parietal scales that are visible on the unknown snake.
Illustration of Cerberus rynchops scalation from wikipedia

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CerebrusRynchopsScales.svg

Photo of a dog-faced snake in shed showing that scalation

Source: http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/dog-faced_water-snake.htm

Photo of a diamond-backed water snake head:

Banded water snake head:

That's the first thing I noticed, but it probably has something to do with the fact I spent several hours this week with every single racer and couchwhip specimen my uni has looking at head scales to find any difference.

Edit: One thing that really pissed me off about that survey was the question "Name three native herp species in your area that you think need less federal/state protection" There was no version or option that more protection is needed across the board, which is what I ended up typing in. Herps have some of the lowest relative legal status among vertebrates and what they do have is ill-enforced.

drat, I didn't look at the head scales. The pattern is spot on for a juvie dog faced though. Haha I'm stumped.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Could it be natrix natrix? Scales on top of its head look like they might match.

On a second thought, maybe not. Mystery noodle lacks neck splotches.

beyonder fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 29, 2015

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

beyonder posted:

Could it be natrix natrix? Scales on top of its head look like they might match.

On a second thought, maybe not. Mystery noodle lacks neck splotches.

I think it might be an oddball patterned Natrix maura

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm actually deeply enjoying the fact that we're all going "what the gently caress is that" because it's just such a bad picture.

It's a garter. Tada. We're done. I win.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I tried reverse image search to see if I could find it. No luck.
It may be worth mentioning the other photos were a young black racer and a long-nosed snake, but yeah I think we need more angles (the underside would nail it to Nerodia or not-Nerodia)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I did it on my phone, but I think that was an eastern milk, not a juvie racer. lol Now I want to go back and look at the pictures on a bigger screen.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

I did it on my phone, but I think that was an eastern milk, not a juvie racer. lol Now I want to go back and look at the pictures on a bigger screen.

You're right, I pulled the photo up on a better screen.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
It's a common brushtail possum. You guys are really bad at this.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I really hope it was a milk because that's what I put.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was disappointed that this was pretty clearly a survey about snakes (and maybe a lizard or two) rather than a survey about herps and amphibians, as advertised. Where were the "identify these four frogs" photos? I can barely tell a snake from a stick and I like it that way.

I also thought all four thingies shown were non-venemous, but there was no "zero" option which was a dead loving giveaway you idiots. So I guessed that was a gila monster and put 1, and then I thought better of it and used the comment answer to tell them they're idiots.

Also lectured them about having like 10 options and none of them are "more regulations, save more animals please."

Soooo many questions about collecting animals in the wild. Is that really super common? I had to squeeze in my answers that are to the effect of "I take photos but don't touch wild animals" but I guess it's OK to collect roadkill if you really want to.

I hated that all the "It should be OK to collect blah blah" combined collecting by scientists with collecting by amateurs, because I wanted to tell them I think permitted scientists should be allowed to collect threatened species, but not random joes.

A good survey in the sense that it was long and thorough and we need more herp surveys, but a bad survey in a lot of ways that are completely typical of people writing surveys who don't know how to anticipate the full range of answers the public might want to supply.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I was disappointed that this was pretty clearly a survey about snakes (and maybe a lizard or two) rather than a survey about herps and amphibians, as advertised. Where were the "identify these four frogs" photos? I can barely tell a snake from a stick and I like it that way.

I also thought all four thingies shown were non-venemous, but there was no "zero" option which was a dead loving giveaway you idiots. So I guessed that was a gila monster and put 1, and then I thought better of it and used the comment answer to tell them they're idiots.

Also lectured them about having like 10 options and none of them are "more regulations, save more animals please."

Soooo many questions about collecting animals in the wild. Is that really super common? I had to squeeze in my answers that are to the effect of "I take photos but don't touch wild animals" but I guess it's OK to collect roadkill if you really want to.

I hated that all the "It should be OK to collect blah blah" combined collecting by scientists with collecting by amateurs, because I wanted to tell them I think permitted scientists should be allowed to collect threatened species, but not random joes.

A good survey in the sense that it was long and thorough and we need more herp surveys, but a bad survey in a lot of ways that are completely typical of people writing surveys who don't know how to anticipate the full range of answers the public might want to supply.
I think it was more intended to be a survey for the general public, not us, and the general public is afraid of snakes and doesn't know which ones are poisonous. It doesn't matter if the average person can't tell what kind of frog or lizard shows up in their yard because it's not going to hurt them, and they'll probably just ignore it. But they'll kill a gopher snake that shows up in their yard to "protect" themselves or their dogs or whatever. They're probably looking for statistics about how well the public can identify which snakes are harmless and which aren't, the problem is the public isn't going to sit through a 20 minute survey so their results are going to really skewed.

And yes, field collecting is still surprisingly common in some areas. Browse the Kingsnake.com marketplace in spring and it's full of wild-caught native species from Nevada and Florida.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
If it was put out by USARK they may be trying to figure out where to focus their lobbying efforts. I think we should allow wild collecting of all animals if permits are issued responsibly and in accordance with conservation principles. Like, can only collect babies of certain species or in certain areas. With global warming, everything is gonna die anyway we might as well have genetically diverse captive populations. I would pay a decent chunk of money to be allowed to catch a couple of the snakes in my area.

That said my friend works for the DNR and he says that if snakes can't be relocated within 1/2 mile it's best to keep them as educations animals instead of risking introducing disease to other populations.

Disclaimer: I own several wc animals. All were responsibly collected. My Candoia come from the loggers cutting down the forest they live in for farmland, importers buy these snakes from them. If they didn't export them, most of the snakes would just die without a place to live. And grey ratsnakes aren't exactly a rare species in danger of extinction. :v:

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 31, 2015

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Hey goons, I don't post much on SA any more but I figured I'd show off/ask for some advice here.

My boyfriend and I went down to the Portland Reptile Expo and after a lengthy debate and budget calculations, took home a one year old black throated monitor lizard. She (? Monitors are apparently super hard to sex) is about two feet long at this point and hungry as hell.

We have a 48x18x21.5in tank (about 75 gal) for her right now, which will obviously have to go in the next few years. In the meantime we are working on building a basking platform and getting her a proper habitat in there.

I'm trying to budget out feeding. Right now from all the reading I've done it seems like I should be feeding her about 25ish crickets/roaches a day and some fish/chicken/small mice every other day (The breeder we bought from said canned dog food would work perfectly fine but I honestly think he wasn't that good of a breeder). A lot of the care sheets for these guys go from juvenile to adult with no in between. Obviously it's a per animal thing but at about the year mark should I be reducing the bugs and going with larger prey more often?

Anyway, here's her dumb face in some dog food. We got this temporarily for her and plan to move on from it as soon as we have good feeder solutions (We also plan on replacing substrate soon with topsoil, this was also recommended to us as a temp solution).

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I don't know a ton about monitors but I do know that you need to start building an adult cage ASAP. They grow really, really fast. You will not get a couple of years out of that tank. They grow 5-7" a month!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is basically going to be your future:

Do you have any other pets, OP?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

the yeti posted:

not for long

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I went to the Portland Reptile Expo and I semi-impulsively got a baby Western hognose and I got her to eat a pinky today without much fuss which makes me happy because multiple people told me that they are lovely feeders. :3:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Anybody else going to Tinley Park next month? I live about an hour away, but I've never gone before. Been to repticon, but that barely counts compared to one of the NARBC shows. Trying to decide how much cash to bring. Don't plan on buying anything, but you never know what might catch you eye. Maybe a gorgeous Beardie, Madagascar Day Gecko or Hognose or something.

Speaking of feeding dog food. Silver what are you mostly feeding your BTS? Breeders seem divided between large mix of omnivorous stuff vs the ones who seem to exclusively feed dry cat food.

Personally I'm just mixxing it up. If what I made for dinner, I'd be willing to feed dog, I'll share with Skink. Otherwise i might just feed some canned cat food or dubia or something.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 1, 2015

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

the yeti posted:

Two domestic cats, as it happens.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Cless Alvein posted:

Anybody else going to Tinley Park next month? I live about an hour away, but I've never gone before. Been to repticon, but that barely counts compared to one of the NARBC shows. Trying to decide how much cash to bring. Don't plan on buying anything, but you never know what might catch you eye. Maybe a gorgeous Beardie, Madagascar Day Gecko or Hognose or something.

Speaking of feeding dog food. Silver what are you mostly feeding your BTS? Breeders seem divided between large mix of omnivorous stuff vs the ones who seem to exclusively feed dry cat food.

Personally I'm just mixxing it up. If what I made for dinner, I'd be willing to feed dog, I'll share with Skink. Otherwise i might just feed some canned cat food or dubia or something.

I will be going to Tinley. Not vending this year. I'm bringing like 1k in case there are some good Candoia. We should meet up. :)

I feed grain free canned dog food with some occasional fresh veggies (just whatever is left over from the CSA share that he can eat), bugs, and supplemental calcium. Not sure of the difference between dog and cat food but everyone I've talked to does canned dog, so that's what I do. :) Mine seems to like the kind with chunks of meat and veg over the patte.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hi that black throated monitor is going to be 10 nightmares for you and your cats are going to get eaten. You will need to feed it small pigs, chickens, and the like up to twice per day some days when it is an adult. It will be adult sized very quickly and, for all intents and purposes, should be treated like a crocodillian in terms of the potential to gently caress you up.

Black throated monitors are fantastic animals. They are not pets that 99% of the population should have. I am showing deep restraint. Good me.

E: Cat food vs dog food since I'm here anyway: cat food has higher protein, generally has different nutrient profiles and the like. Dog food is closer to what they need and easier to work with for their needs from what I've been taught. BTS need protein and all but I mean, you know what I'm saying SN.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
At least with gators, when they get too big you can just eat them. :v:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I mean I'm sure you could eat a monitor but why would you want to

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
maybe theyre delicious you dont know

eat your monitor monceres its a better idea than your idiot plan

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Good lord.

See, this is just the sort of animal it ought to be criminal to sell people at goddamn expos. HKR you have basically bought a small alligator. I mean, not as dangerous as an alligator, they have calm temperaments in general, but you're going to own a 50-pound carnivorous lizard. Do you have a big back yard you can 100% secure? I sure hope you don't plant to keep that animal confined to a cage for its whole life, because that's not OK. I just read a few care articles that imply you can get away with merely a huge enclosure, but let's be honest: keeping a 6-foot animal in a 8-foot enclosure is cruel. A time may come when you have to figure out how to keep it from escaping your house or yard. And they're quite capable of climbing so keep that in mind. You will not be able to have that lizard sharing space with cats - it will probably eat them. You're going to have to plan your entire living arrangements around it. I hope you own your home, because renting when you own a giant lizard may prove challenging.

I'm curious to hear what the breeder told you at the expo. Did they warn you? Did they raise an eyebrow and ask probing questions about your plans for the future? Did they at least ask you if you knew what you were doing and had done any research before buying this thing?

I'm sure 90% of the ones sold at expos wind up dead before they're 2 years old, because random expo-goers impulse-buying herps are usually unprepared to properly care for them... especially when they're buying them for their kids, assuming the kids are going to "learn responsibility" and "care for it themselves." Which is part of what pisses me off about herp shows, actually. Good responsible breeders/retailers should be screening customers and only selling challenging animals to people who have clearly prepared themselves - and planned in advance.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Silver Nitrate posted:

I will be going to Tinley. Not vending this year. I'm bringing like 1k in case there are some good Candoia. We should meet up. :)

I feed grain free canned dog food with some occasional fresh veggies (just whatever is left over from the CSA share that he can eat), bugs, and supplemental calcium. Not sure of the difference between dog and cat food but everyone I've talked to does canned dog, so that's what I do. :) Mine seems to like the kind with chunks of meat and veg over the patte.

We should totally meet up for a couple minutes at least!

Biggest difference between the two, is cat foods tend to have more protein since they're carnivores instead of semi-omnivorous like dogs. I noticed it was mostly the Aussie breeders that like to feed cat kibble while US does a mix of dog food, veggies and fruits. I kinda like how simple it is to feed BTS since they'll easy pretty much anything you shove in their faces, especially Northern's like mine. Like yesterday Buttercup got some chicken breast and some dog kibble. Day before that it was a mix of veggies, dog food and some CGD. Today was just some canned cat food that I had on hand.

Speaking of GCD, I ran out of Repashy 3.0 and decided to try out Pangea's new foods. Holy poo poo are the geckos loving the Watermelon and Mango mix. Their dishes are empty pretty much every day. Whereas with 3.0 they might nibble a little bit and then ignore it. In the rare case they don't finish their cup of food, it goes to the Skink who also loves it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Good lord.

See, this is just the sort of animal it ought to be criminal to sell people at goddamn expos. HKR you have basically bought a small alligator. I mean, not as dangerous as an alligator, they have calm temperaments in general, but you're going to own a 50-pound carnivorous lizard. Do you have a big back yard you can 100% secure? I sure hope you don't plant to keep that animal confined to a cage for its whole life, because that's not OK. I just read a few care articles that imply you can get away with merely a huge enclosure, but let's be honest: keeping a 6-foot animal in a 8-foot enclosure is cruel. A time may come when you have to figure out how to keep it from escaping your house or yard. And they're quite capable of climbing so keep that in mind. You will not be able to have that lizard sharing space with cats - it will probably eat them. You're going to have to plan your entire living arrangements around it. I hope you own your home, because renting when you own a giant lizard may prove challenging.

I'm curious to hear what the breeder told you at the expo. Did they warn you? Did they raise an eyebrow and ask probing questions about your plans for the future? Did they at least ask you if you knew what you were doing and had done any research before buying this thing?

I'm sure 90% of the ones sold at expos wind up dead before they're 2 years old, because random expo-goers impulse-buying herps are usually unprepared to properly care for them... especially when they're buying them for their kids, assuming the kids are going to "learn responsibility" and "care for it themselves." Which is part of what pisses me off about herp shows, actually. Good responsible breeders/retailers should be screening customers and only selling challenging animals to people who have clearly prepared themselves - and planned in advance.

Breeder told them to feed it crickets so lol.

Black throats get bigger than 50 pounds on average. Try 65ish, with one or two having hit three figures, I believe.

To be honest, "a small alligator" is pretty dead on and not necessarily less dangerous. They're pretty chill, but if you piss one off I'd treat it the exact same as a goddamn gator because it will quite happily snap off fingers, and if it ends up being a very large one, you can say bye to your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'd rather deal with a gator tbh they're more predictable and grow slower. And you can tape their mouth shut.

Edit: I asked a black throat owner what their adults eat and he said: 10-15 chicks or a dozen cooked eggs or 4 one foot long fish or 6-10 medium rats. Every three days. O.o

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 1, 2015