Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

Hows the TIE Punisher in general, does its munitions thing make Bombers really handy or ?

I doubt anything is ever really going to make ordnance a must-have or a hot new dominant part of the meta but the Punisher seems pretty cool from my sadly limited experience flying it. Both Deathrain and Redline have fun abilities though the lack of EPT will cause some difficulties I'm sure, but having those 3 shields really helps them deliver. Redline's ability plus a Fire Control System plus Cluster Missiles has some hilarious potential damage output, and Deathrain is good at putting template bombs like mines and Connor Nets directly on top of people, especially bigger ships.

I don't know if the TIE Bomber itself has been vastly improved. I still probably wouldn't see much reason to take the generic mook Bombers as they still absorb crits too readily and low PS is kind of a big downside to ordnance ships but you can get a Scimitar Squadron Bomber with Extra Munitions and any bomb of your choice including Proton Bombs for less than 25 points so maybe that's something to play with. Also I want to try Major Rhymer with Advanced Homing Missiles sometime given that he can turn them into a Range 1-3 weapon. Rhymer with Vet Instincts, Twin Ion Engine Mk2, 2x Advanced Homing Missiles, and Extra Munitions is 36 points. Could be fun, though it's admittedly a gimmick that has a limited lifespan (just like Rhymer then).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I doubt anything is ever really going to make ordnance a must-have or a hot new dominant part of the meta but the Punisher seems pretty cool from my sadly limited experience flying it. Both Deathrain and Redline have fun abilities though the lack of EPT will cause some difficulties I'm sure, but having those 3 shields really helps them deliver. Redline's ability plus a Fire Control System plus Cluster Missiles has some hilarious potential damage output, and Deathrain is good at putting template bombs like mines and Connor Nets directly on top of people, especially bigger ships.

I don't know if the TIE Bomber itself has been vastly improved. I still probably wouldn't see much reason to take the generic mook Bombers as they still absorb crits too readily and low PS is kind of a big downside to ordnance ships but you can get a Scimitar Squadron Bomber with Extra Munitions and any bomb of your choice including Proton Bombs for less than 25 points so maybe that's something to play with. Also I want to try Major Rhymer with Advanced Homing Missiles sometime given that he can turn them into a Range 1-3 weapon. Rhymer with Vet Instincts, Twin Ion Engine Mk2, 2x Advanced Homing Missiles, and Extra Munitions is 36 points. Could be fun, though it's admittedly a gimmick that has a limited lifespan (just like Rhymer then).

Ah cool, interesting to hear, a place I know has them relatively cheap (for an Australian) so im tempted to pick up a second bomber. I'm never going to be doing any competitive stuff with it but we run a lot of narrative stuff so making it functional and/or gimmick silliness is perfect.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I took a look on Amazon and Ebay, and I see nothing, except for this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Miniatures-Game-Core-Set-Disney-Force-Awakens-Jedi-Sith-/291530296848?hash=item43e08f4e10

Though I notice they don't actually claim it's the new force awakens core, and the picture is the regular core.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The guy threw in a few extra words to try to increase his results on ebay searches.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

Ah cool, interesting to hear, a place I know has them relatively cheap (for an Australian) so im tempted to pick up a second bomber. I'm never going to be doing any competitive stuff with it but we run a lot of narrative stuff so making it functional and/or gimmick silliness is perfect.

Extra Munitions is good even for fluffy narrative lists simply because it makes things like a pair of Scimitar Squad Bombers with loads of bombs A). possible and B). cheaper than it would otherwise be to buy two loads of Proton Bombs assuming you even could. Also Plasma Torpedoes are another nice cheap torpedo option with some situational punch against larger ships with lots of shields. I'd recommend mine spam for silliness but the problem you run into there is a lot of people simply don't have the physical templates to drop, say, four Proximity or Cluster Mines onto the play area.

Also the Twin Ion Engine Mk2 upgrade is something people are considering a quasi Defender patch but really it goes good on Bombers, Punishers, and even the Advanced. It's the same cost as Munitions Failsafe and with Extra Munitions in play you don't need to worry so much about losing your one missile to a bad roll.

Re: Imperials wrecking poo poo in tournaments, something I thought of when Wave 8 got previewed is putting Agent Kallus with Rear Admiral Chiraneau seems like it has a lot of potential to wreck face against someone else bringing a two-ship list to the party. RAC lets you turn an eye into a crit for free, Agent Kallus lets you turn an eye into a hit for free against your chosen ship, which means that you essentially get two free "mini focus" boosts on every attack. Once that one ship is gone Agent Kallus is effectively dead weight so he's kind of garbage against swarm lists but pure swarms haven't been in vogue for a while.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The guy threw in a few extra words to try to increase his results on ebay searches.

yeah, I guess I wasn't clear but that's what I figured he was doing.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

quote:

Re: Imperials wrecking poo poo in tournaments, something I thought of when Wave 8 got previewed is putting Agent Kallus with Rear Admiral Chiraneau seems like it has a lot of potential to wreck face against someone else bringing a two-ship list to the party. RAC lets you turn an eye into a crit for free, Agent Kallus lets you turn an eye into a hit for free against your chosen ship, which means that you essentially get two free "mini focus" boosts on every attack. Once that one ship is gone Agent Kallus is effectively dead weight so he's kind of garbage against swarm lists but pure swarms haven't been in vogue for a while.

Stick Jerjerrod on there too - dead weight solved!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Stickman posted:

Stick Jerjerrod on there too - dead weight solved!

Hah, that was literally my first thought as soon as I hit send on that post. "The Empire commends your services, Agent Kallus. Now out the airlock you go." At 3+ points I think he might be a bit too costly but at 2 points he seems like a reasonable inclusion because even against "ace pilot plus mini-swarm" lists you can use him to help burn the ace down quick and then use RAC + whoever else you brought to dismantle the swarm. It's more the opportunity cost you face, losing a crew slot that could go to, say, a Tactician or Rebel Captive (since you probably want Ysanne Isard for your third).

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I've been running a Deathrain and Redline list for several games now, and its actually quite good. I think it's basically an autoloss to TLT spam, but it has a good game against elite ships. Conner nets to the face will never get old.

I managed to Net Vader last night, hit with a plasma torpedo, and had things set up to box him in with an ion bomb and proton bomb and a Redline cluster missile shot. Barring really terrible luck, he was dead. I tried to be cute and drop another net on him and screwed myself over though.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Alright, I flew on a whim the Wes R2 & VI/Wedge R2 & Opportunist combo last night, and it is murderously good fun.

I'm not sold on what should round out the list though; I tried a Dagger, and it was just a bit 'bleh' on it's own. You have 35 points to play with; I'm considering between:
    - Dutch - TLT, some toys
    - E'Tahn A'Baht Enhanced Scopes, R2 Unit
    - Airen Kraken VI & A Bandit Squadron
    - Another X
Goons, what should I fly with those two?

E: Weirdly, I almost think I might downgrade Wedge to a different X, because aside from the EPT, you're paying a high premium for the -1 Agility, when the real power comes from the bonus +1 Firepower off Opportunist.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 1, 2015

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know anything about anything with regards to this, but it's entirely possible that the matter isn't even in FFG's hands. This could be a Disney thing, and while Disney seems cool with FFG when it comes to gearing up the Episode 7 marketing machine FFG customers and tabletop game stores may rank near the bottom of the list compared to pretty much everyone and everywhere else.

The clerk at my local game store claims it has to do with Hasbro. Supposedly Hasbro has some sort of deal with Target, and FFG and Hasbro are really close, so FFG is going along with Hasbro on the temporary Target exclusivity. I have no clue on the validity of that statement though.

He said their distributors would eventually have the new core sets, but he had no idea when that would be.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I got to fly some of the new Wave 7 stuff last night and had a lot of fun. I had Bossk with some upgrades, and 2 Y-Wings with TLT and agromechs. I wasn't paying too close of attention to see if the agromechs helped to ensure hits, but I think they did. I did have a handful of times where I used the focus on zero eyes to get a target lock, but the target locks were pretty much all used immediately.

I had both Predator and a K4 droid (plus Mangler and tech) on Bossk, but I rarely had a reason to use predator. I think it was partly that I kept forgetting I had it, but I almost always had a target lock to use. Someone commented that Calculation and Recon spec is probably much better than predator if you have the K4 droid. I will say the tech was really nice to have a focus when using the stall manuver.

The scariest thing I flew against was a Slaver with Bossk crew, gunner, and Engine Upgrade along with a swarm of 5 Z-95s. I made a big mistake by not having my Y-Wings swing around the outside of the mass of Z-Wings once they turned towards my Bossk. The Y-Wing is not very good against massed firepower at range 1. The Bossk/gunner combo is particularly nasty, as it completely removed the need for an offensive action.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Miranda Doni with TLT and C-3PO is nuts. 3PO guarantees evade, and you can gain up to two shields per round (and still do damage if you're fighting a low-defense ship).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Geisladisk posted:

Miranda Doni with TLT and C-3PO is nuts. 3PO guarantees evade, and you can gain up to two shields per round (and still do damage if you're fighting a low-defense ship).

You can only use Miranda's ability once per turn.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Panzeh posted:

You can only use Miranda's ability once per turn.

Oh!

Still pretty good.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shockeh posted:

Alright, I flew on a whim the Wes R2 & VI/Wedge R2 & Opportunist combo last night, and it is murderously good fun.

I'm not sold on what should round out the list though; I tried a Dagger, and it was just a bit 'bleh' on it's own. You have 35 points to play with; I'm considering between:
    - Dutch - TLT, some toys
    - E'Tahn A'Baht Enhanced Scopes, R2 Unit
    - Airen Kraken VI & A Bandit Squadron
    - Another X
Goons, what should I fly with those two?

E: Weirdly, I almost think I might downgrade Wedge to a different X, because aside from the EPT, you're paying a high premium for the -1 Agility, when the real power comes from the bonus +1 Firepower off Opportunist.

Try Jake Farrel. You can arm him to the dick for 33 points.

Jake Farrel (24)
a-wing test pilot (0)
proton rockets (3)
push the limit (3)
autothrusters (2)
veteran insticts (1)

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Irom posted:

Jake Farrel (24)
a-wing test pilot (0)
proton rockets (3)
push the limit (3)
autothrusters (2)
veteran insticts (1)

I'm totally stealing the phrase "arm him to the dick."

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Hi guys, I am a casual X-wing player (as in I have only ever really played against one opponent) - been very interesting looking through this thread at all the tricks and tips tournament players seem to know. I think to a certain extent I have carried over a mindset from other mini games of 'more boys less toys' and have stuck to giving some models maybe 1 upgrade card. It's a real education to see people taking expensive/big/high PS ships and just loading them with upgrades. Very interesting to see which upgrades are highly valued as well, since the sheer number of options is a bit overwhelming.

So I have taken on the names of some of the key upgrades and how to use them. With Imperials I am keen on the Interceptors, do you find people often running 3-5 of them as a list or are they too fragile? I see Soontir Fel talked up a lot here, some of the others, notably Turr Phenir seem great to me, but a lot of them look interesting. I get the impression that mid-level PS ships are a bit of a waste in tournaments? Since people either bid high or try to go all low and outnumber the enemy.

Main question, I was considering buying into Scum. I get that IG-2000s are considered great. Might get 2 of them, although the ship looks terrible IMO and I might have to modify it. Can anyone give me the goods on Starvipers (look like exactly the super-maneuverable superiority fighters I want to play with), the Syck interceptors (could be more fun than a TIE swarm by use of cannon upgrades, does that make them overpriced for their fragility and ok mobility?).

Beyond those I am considering some of the other large Scum ships. Slave I, the new one (jumpmaster?) and the Hounds Tooth I all like the look of but I'm not sure how they would play in the game.

Much appreciated.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So does Target normally carry X-Wing stuff? I'm not seeing any in the online store...

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I was thinking it was Toys R Us that was getting the exclusive deal, based on what people who work at target here have said, and toys r us is the only named US store I can find hosting a midnight event.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/toysrus-will-host-midnight-event-on-sept-4th-to-launch-new-star-wars-toys-390

Edit: and I think some people here have said they've bought/seen x-wing stuff in target.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Hi guys, I am a casual X-wing player (as in I have only ever really played against one opponent) - been very interesting looking through this thread at all the tricks and tips tournament players seem to know. I think to a certain extent I have carried over a mindset from other mini games of 'more boys less toys' and have stuck to giving some models maybe 1 upgrade card. It's a real education to see people taking expensive/big/high PS ships and just loading them with upgrades. Very interesting to see which upgrades are highly valued as well, since the sheer number of options is a bit overwhelming.

So I have taken on the names of some of the key upgrades and how to use them. With Imperials I am keen on the Interceptors, do you find people often running 3-5 of them as a list or are they too fragile? I see Soontir Fel talked up a lot here, some of the others, notably Turr Phenir seem great to me, but a lot of them look interesting. I get the impression that mid-level PS ships are a bit of a waste in tournaments? Since people either bid high or try to go all low and outnumber the enemy.

Main question, I was considering buying into Scum. I get that IG-2000s are considered great. Might get 2 of them, although the ship looks terrible IMO and I might have to modify it. Can anyone give me the goods on Starvipers (look like exactly the super-maneuverable superiority fighters I want to play with), the Syck interceptors (could be more fun than a TIE swarm by use of cannon upgrades, does that make them overpriced for their fragility and ok mobility?).

Beyond those I am considering some of the other large Scum ships. Slave I, the new one (jumpmaster?) and the Hounds Tooth I all like the look of but I'm not sure how they would play in the game.

Much appreciated.

The scum faction is still going through some growing pains, but there are some good quality list options out there. I really like the faction, but some of the ships are duds.

The Starviper suffers from being a couple of points over costed, and only a single high PS pilot (Xizor at 7, but with veteran instincts can get to 9). The ship is fairly fragile, and needs to move last to make the most use of its abilities. It is essentially a TIE interceptor that can take extra hits, but costs quite a bit more.

The syck interceptor is rarely worth it. The cost of getting a decent canon on it makes it way too expensive. It was probably meant to be a swarm ship like the TIE fighter, but have a few options available to it. The problem is the Z-95 way outshines the syck as a swarm or filler ship. 2 less points with an extra shield means Zs are a little heartier and are better point gap fillers.

The good news for scum small base ships is that Y-Wings are in a pretty good place right now. TLT (Twin laser turret) allows the Y-Wings to reliably do two damage a turn to just about anything. The kyraxsis fighter has been getting reports of being a good solid fighter. You can't go wrong with using two of either ship to compliment one of the available big ships.

The place that scum really shine is the named pilots in their large base ships. They are all costed in the mid 30s leaving lots of room for some upgrades to let them really shine, while leaving enough points for some quality small ships (or a Z-Swarm).

I know that the top two pilots in the Firespray, Bobba And Kath both have very good abilities, and the Firespray itself is decently manuverable and can actually evade a hit or two with its two green dice. They both play quite differently, with Bobba wanting to be in the middle of a brawl, while Kath wants to be pointing away (and possibly getting people to chase) from everything.

The aggressor ships are quite good, but they can take a couple of games to learn to position them well. They are highly manuverable, but only having 4 shields and 4 hull make them the weakest large base ships in the game. being able to predict generally where your opponent is going to be is very important for them, as they are also one of only two large base ships without a turret or auxiliary firing arc (imperial shuttle is the other). Learn to abuse the S-Loop to keep ships in line of sight, and take evade tokens occasionally as well.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Orvin posted:

The scum faction is still going through some growing pains, but there are some good quality list options out there. I really like the faction, but some of the ships are duds.

The Starviper suffers from being a couple of points over costed, and only a single high PS pilot (Xizor at 7, but with veteran instincts can get to 9). The ship is fairly fragile, and needs to move last to make the most use of its abilities. It is essentially a TIE interceptor that can take extra hits, but costs quite a bit more.

The syck interceptor is rarely worth it. The cost of getting a decent canon on it makes it way too expensive. It was probably meant to be a swarm ship like the TIE fighter, but have a few options available to it. The problem is the Z-95 way outshines the syck as a swarm or filler ship. 2 less points with an extra shield means Zs are a little heartier and are better point gap fillers.

The good news for scum small base ships is that Y-Wings are in a pretty good place right now. TLT (Twin laser turret) allows the Y-Wings to reliably do two damage a turn to just about anything. The kyraxsis fighter has been getting reports of being a good solid fighter. You can't go wrong with using two of either ship to compliment one of the available big ships.

The place that scum really shine is the named pilots in their large base ships. They are all costed in the mid 30s leaving lots of room for some upgrades to let them really shine, while leaving enough points for some quality small ships (or a Z-Swarm).

I know that the top two pilots in the Firespray, Bobba And Kath both have very good abilities, and the Firespray itself is decently manuverable and can actually evade a hit or two with its two green dice. They both play quite differently, with Bobba wanting to be in the middle of a brawl, while Kath wants to be pointing away (and possibly getting people to chase) from everything.

The aggressor ships are quite good, but they can take a couple of games to learn to position them well. They are highly manuverable, but only having 4 shields and 4 hull make them the weakest large base ships in the game. being able to predict generally where your opponent is going to be is very important for them, as they are also one of only two large base ships without a turret or auxiliary firing arc (imperial shuttle is the other). Learn to abuse the S-Loop to keep ships in line of sight, and take evade tokens occasionally as well.

Ah ok, that is really interesting. Shame to hear that about the starviper and interceptor as those seemed like they would be fun to play with. Even with my limited knowledge though I kind of expected the cannon version to be overcosted - it really adds up on such a fragile ship.

I will definitely look at getting the firespray. Unfortunately I don't really fancy the look or playstyle of the Y-Wing but it appears getting the Most Wanted pack is pretty mandatory.

Maybe I'll get Most Wanted, a firespray, 2 aggressors, and a couple each kirachz(?) and starvipers. Suppose I'm relieved the cheap ships aren't great as it costs twice as much real world money to make a 100pt list!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Genghis Cohen posted:

Ah ok, that is really interesting. Shame to hear that about the starviper and interceptor as those seemed like they would be fun to play with. Even with my limited knowledge though I kind of expected the cannon version to be overcosted - it really adds up on such a fragile ship.

I will definitely look at getting the firespray. Unfortunately I don't really fancy the look or playstyle of the Y-Wing but it appears getting the Most Wanted pack is pretty mandatory.

Maybe I'll get Most Wanted, a firespray, 2 aggressors, and a couple each kirachz(?) and starvipers. Suppose I'm relieved the cheap ships aren't great as it costs twice as much real world money to make a 100pt list!

I pretty much only fly Kath Scarlet (Scum Firespray pilot) with 2 Ys or 4 Zs and those ships are all in good places. You may not like the Y much but you can run those lists with just a Slave I and 2 Most Wanteds which is pretty good value for how effective they all are.

Edit: Though I use several upgrade cards from other sets

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 1, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

fordan posted:

So does Target normally carry X-Wing stuff? I'm not seeing any in the online store...

They used to sell the core set and right around when wave 2 was out they discounted them down to $12 and they haven't carried it since

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Orvin posted:

I've actually been wondering if it's time to try out the defensive Guri build again. It was counter-productive against RAC, as he would change his hits to crits due to her SJ (and RAC was everywhere). But if people are going to be flying PS2 TLTs, and PS4 counters, Guri might be unstoppable.

Build: Guri w/ Lone Wolf, Autothrusters, Virago title, Sensor Jammer (39 points)

She wants to be at range 1 for her free focus, that disables one TLT, plus she has SJ, AT, and a LW agility re-roll to aid in defense.
Of course I haven't had wave 7 in my hands for more than a week, so it's possible she isn't as effective as 3 Black Sun Z's

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Irom posted:

Jake Farrel (24)
a-wing test pilot (0)
proton rockets (3)
push the limit (3)
autothrusters (2)
veteran insticts (1)

Flown Jake shitloads, and even now, still not keen on that Anaemic 2 Red.

E: Also, that's 8 Red total, which is baaaaaaaaaad. >=9 or bust.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 1, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

zVxTeflon posted:

They used to sell the core set and right around when wave 2 was out they discounted them down to $12 and they haven't carried it since

Maybe it's changing since I know target is going balls deep with Force Friday. $10 off when you buy fifty bucks of SW stuff and $25 if you buy 100

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If they sell well, Target will probably keep them. That's a company wide decision, though; you won't see some stores keep them and others stop. I think the recent emergence of things like Amiibo and Skylanders and Disney Infinity, and the similar release schedules and price points will help keep them around longer, but the bottom line is they have to sell.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't see how it's bad for large retailers to sell the starter sets before the niche LGSs. It'll reach a wider audience faster that way. I haven't seen the contents of a starter box in a long time but I would hope it had the details on getting more involved in the game. Magic packs have ads and sites to visit for local games and it would be stupid not to follow that example.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's not bad for the game. It's bad for the FLGS (at least initially) because they're missing out on the drat-near-guaranteed cash money that comes with a new release. Now those guys who absolutely must have it midnight release day 1 can just walk over to Wal-mart and get it, and I bet that's not a small chunk of FLGS revenue.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Right. And the main reason I can think of for a staggered release (like the gen con products) is lack of copies available for sale. In that case it makes better sense to sell the available ones in larger retailers. We could say the same thing about Gencon pre releases on a smaller scale.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Non gamers will buy them at chain stores any time. People buy stuff at FLGS when they come out.

It's a bad move for FFG to gently caress over FLGS.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

Non gamers will buy them at chain stores any time. People buy stuff at FLGS when they come out.

It's a bad move for FFG to gently caress over FLGS.

Non gamers won't buy anything at FLGS.

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. And the main reason I can think of for a staggered release (like the gen con products) is lack of copies available for sale.

This is probably the best idea I've seen on it. There's also the fact that, come Friday, there will be thousands of people swarming over every toy section in the country for new Star Wars stuff. If you don't have enough to do both, this is 100% the one that will make shitloads more money.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah. New sets are also guaranteed to sell out day 1 at a FLGS. I remember seeing Wave 1 on clearance at Target a couple years ago.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Key phrase there "a couple years ago", when the most recent really major Star Wars anything was Revenge of the Sith the better part of a decade earlier. If the new core sets don't sell out the first weekend, I would actually be pretty surprised.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Strobe posted:

Key phrase there "a couple years ago", when the most recent really major Star Wars anything was Revenge of the Sith the better part of a decade earlier. If the new core sets don't sell out the first weekend, I would actually be pretty surprised.

This was back when it was impossible for FLGS to keep the game in stock because it was so popular.

I'm sure Target can move huge numbers. It's just silly of FFG to gently caress over the guys supporting their community. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Asmodee thing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The kind of people who walk into an FLGS and the kind of people who walk into a Target, while the same species, are not necessarily the same people. This is neither a good nor bad thing, it is merely A Thing.

I think it's kinda silly to call this FFG loving over the guys supporting their position. It won't be a Target exclusive forever. There are a boatload of people who will patiently wait for it to come out at their FLGS before buying. I honestly doubt that the turnaround before this gets to FLGSs will be longer than this time next week. Remember, if we hadn't gotten leaks about it, none of us would even know this thing exists yet. It hasn't been announced, it hasn't been officially publicized, nothing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah if it comes out next week then it would be silly to assume it's a supply issue. If that were the case it would just be a deal Asmodee inked with Target.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Honestly, the economics of starter sets and the economics of everything else are rather different. In the long run it makes way more sense to have the starter sets in major stores when people are looking for Star Wars stuff, even for the FLGS, because it gets people picking it up who wouldn't previously have even gone to their FLGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Keiya posted:

Honestly, the economics of starter sets and the economics of everything else are rather different. In the long run it makes way more sense to have the starter sets in major stores when people are looking for Star Wars stuff, even for the FLGS, because it gets people picking it up who wouldn't previously have even gone to their FLGS.

Yeah this was mostly what I was getting at. The people who shop at Target and the people who walk into FLGSs are different subsets of the population, and one of those subsets is significantly larger than the other.

• Locked thread