Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That kind of thing is for night safety, I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When you say "with a flash" do you mean some ambient light catches them and makes them look cool or do you literally need to photograph your foot?

Erudite Sybarite
Jun 11, 2007

Is that a first edition? I'm oddly aroused.

88h88 posted:

Hit 'em with a flash though...

These are rad as gently caress. They make me want to get a grey jumpsuit from the first film.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Aramek posted:

That's like those anti paparazzi hoodies that I've seen. Neat stuff.

VCMP stands for 'Visual Counter-Measures Project' so yeah, that's exactly it. They came with a DVD on video surveillance as well as a booklet and a bandana which had the same 3M/Scotchlite reflective finish on it.

Aphrodite posted:

That kind of thing is for night safety, I assume?

The could definitely be used for that, the finish on them meant they weren't as flexible to begin with as regular footwear but they've worn in nicely now.

Decrepus posted:

When you say "with a flash" do you mean some ambient light catches them and makes them look cool or do you literally need to photograph your foot?

It's a 3M/Scotchlite (I can't remember which) reflective finish so during the day unless you're flashing torches and poo poo at them they just look like a very boring, grey pair of shoes. As the night sets in though walking along the street under lights you'll occasionally get them reflecting out of the corner of your eye. Cars drive past slowly wondering what you have on your feet at night.

They were 'intended' to be used by the wanky arty farty collective that designed them for use against the whole 1984 surveillance state of the UK. But then they're fashion footwear so they'll never be used for that, particularly with only 56 pairs actually produced. I collect this particular design of shoe and this was a particularly cool idea IMO which is why I picked them up.

Olympic Mathlete has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Aug 31, 2015

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

Because everybody is playing it.

Because the first one was fun.

Because my local bookstore is actually cheaper than Amazon.

I am sorry I cannot provide any shiny shoes to the discussion.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Not shiny shoes:

But composite toe, puncture resistant everything else, waterproof, also rated against blood and other bodily fluids.

Thermometer:

And this because I have a 6 year old godson who just found out about model rockets and I used to love building and launching them as a kid. So we're going to build them together and everything. simple ones due to his age.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Droogie posted:

Not shiny shoes:

But composite toe, puncture resistant everything else, waterproof, also rated against blood and other bodily fluids.

Big black safety boot.

Quit tempting me to buy things thread!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

VendaGoat posted:

Big black safety boot.

Quit tempting me to buy things thread!

Worn for 10 hours now. Heavy, hot, but fairly comfortable. Not as comfortable as a pair from Original SWAT that they're replacing, but a hell of a lot safer.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Scarf posted:

I've got my eye on a kivik sofa that I'm hoping to get in the next few months. Was really comfortable in the store.

I have the sofa and loveseat, they're super comfy.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Droogie posted:

Not shiny shoes:

Coming Soon to a School Shooting Near You

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Droogie posted:

And this because I have a 6 year old godson who just found out about model rockets and I used to love building and launching them as a kid. So we're going to build them together and everything. simple ones due to his age.

When I was a kid, I spent lots of time on my first rocket, putting it together perfectly, painting it in multiple coats then applying decals. On it's first launch, it went so high we lost sight of it and never saw it again. I didn't bother painting any rockets after that, aside from maybe a slap of orange paint to help see it. Eventually, it devolved into what was best about the whole endeavor: lighting engines in the street.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When I was a kid, I spent lots of time on my first rocket, putting it together perfectly, painting it in multiple coats then applying decals.

Do you normally get them back, do they have a chute or something?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

Yeah normally they would have a chute or streamers to slow the descent. But if it goes too high and winds are blowing up there, well...

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mom's birthday coming up, she collects tiny chairs. Exciting stuff.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

colas posted:

They have chutes that pop out of the top (usually), which is caused by a front facing charge in the final stage. This usually works, assuming the cardboard, rubber bands, tape and glue hold together. In my childhood rocket days, it wasn't unusual for something to fail, but most of the time they didn't get too far and were recoverable. Or they open fine and you helplessly watch your handcrafted space toy gently fly into the middle of a lake.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Droogie posted:

Holy poo poo I just got some vivid flashbacks of me and my father building and launching these :)

Good memories. I hope you and your godson make some of your own!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

PCOS Bill posted:

Coming Soon to a School Shooting Near You

Cute, but I'm an animal control officer. They're because I'm frequently being attacked by dogs.

Eventually, it devolved into what was best about the whole endeavor: lighting engines in the street.
A friend and I would also build the pinewood derby kits and hollow out rocket engine cavities in the back with a drill press and race them down the street.

RCarr posted:

Holy poo poo I just got some vivid flashbacks of me and my father building and launching these :)
Good memories. I hope you and your godson make some of your own!

Thanks. When I found out he wanted to learn about model rockets I got super excited for the same reason and immediately ordered that easy kit. I think he'll have a hell of a time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Droogie posted:

Cute, but I'm an animal control officer. They're because I'm frequently being attacked by dogs.

A friend and I would also build the pinewood derby kits and hollow out rocket engine cavities in the back with a drill press and race them down the street.

Thanks. When I found out he wanted to learn about model rockets I got super excited for the same reason and immediately ordered that easy kit. I think he'll have a hell of a time.

Strap the engines to remote control cars. I remember that being a lot of fun until we crashed one into a bush and almost caught it on fire.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

LEGO DAY! :hfive:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Grownups buying toys just makes me think of the sad Blue Story thread now :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

djfooboo posted:

LEGO DAY! :hfive:

INDEED!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It clearly says 14+ on the box.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I had to look up what this means, and I can assure you I play with my toys at least.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I've always wanted to buy these sets for places I have actually been, but the Sydney Opera House is $300+ and 4'x4'. I wish they were all smaller like the Trevi fountain here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Trevie Fountain is a handsome set but you better have nimble fingers.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ragequit posted:

I've always wanted to buy these sets for places I have actually been, but the Sydney Opera House is $300+ and 4'x4'. I wish they were all smaller like the Trevi fountain here.

This looks pretty trivial to reverse engineer. Bricklink is your friend :)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

djfooboo posted:

This looks pretty trivial to reverse engineer. Bricklink is your friend :)

I now want a lego stegosaurus

Edit:

200$ nope
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4998-Creator-Stegosaurus/dp/B00160EZEU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Oneiros posted:

That's a lot of couch :stare: (My parents have one about that big but minus that corner piece on the right)

I don't think I could ever wear these myself but drat they are cool.

New footwear for myself: Red Wing Iron Rangers.

How do you like these? Are you using them for outdoorsy stuff or just every day wear? I've been looking at them for a while and I'm slowly tipping off the fence...

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How about a link?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

AnimalChin posted:

How about a link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319

Good ol' E/N. Home of Star Wars toy collectors, girls falling in love with their husband-brothers, and never-ending ex-sexting.

Phineus
Jul 21, 2008

Good to the last drop.

We decided to buy our first house in the Seattle area...I've lived my whole life in southern California...this should be interesting.

Phineus has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Sep 1, 2015

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Super 3 posted:

How do you like these? Are you using them for outdoorsy stuff or just every day wear? I've been looking at them for a while and I'm slowly tipping off the fence...

Every day wear around the office / city and I'm loving them. I have a pair of beat-to-poo poo 953s that I use for outdoorsy and physical labor situations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's up with real estate agents HDRing the poo poo out of every photo?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

It's the "In" thing in photography right now.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Super 3 posted:

I tried wearing out on the nordkette in austria in the winter..

dont. i'd done it because i forgot the boot had zero threading and thus zero traction on ice or even really packed snow. it was loving terrifying.

wasn't too good for steep inclines in the forrest or on grass either. keep it for the city and dont be retarded like i was

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Phineus posted:

We decided to buy our first house in the Seattle area...I've lived my whole life in southern California...this should be interesting.

Gorgeous house - congrats! At least, until the new ice age etc etc

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Those pictures seem to reasonably display the space. HDR or not, that's better than 90% of realtor photos.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheMadMilkman posted:

Those pictures seem to reasonably display the space. HDR or not, that's better than 90% of realtor photos.

It's really just the outside shots that I was talking about. The inside ones aren't bad, just shot with a very wide lens to make it look much bigger than it is.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

It's the "In" thing in photography right now.

Not really. It was the in thing like 3-4 years ago. The in thing now is probably emulating old film styles.

That one outside shot is a hot mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Picked up a used Dell P28F laptop from a pawn shop.

Mostly for use as a backup computer since a recent storm fried my old, crappy, got-it-for-free, 10-yr-old laptop.