Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Section 31 posted:

You hate your children?

you don't? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

A Strange Aeon posted:

How much should they charge?

Depends on size of the plot and how much of an rear end in a top hat the neighbor is.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

A Strange Aeon posted:

How much should they charge?

as much as they think they can get away with, idiot.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Wow, I guess I must've hallucinated all those other consoles that came during the decades before Xbox, etc. Calling Xbox "6th Generation" is really misleading, come to think of it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWyngz posted:

The guy who wants to quit his job and become an artist/musician/game Dev in e/n is pretty millennial :cripes:

Everybody in gbs is pretty millennial, except maybe for genesplicer and other Olds

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Toadstrieb posted:

I'm genuinely not sure if you're trolling me or not, but what we are asking is, "do millennials suck, and why?", and I'm answering that question in a way that's relevant to what's been in the thread recently, ie, this dude and his art project.

Are you trying to defend him? Because his work isn't even really what I'm honing in on, its the way in which it is in itself emblematic of the problem with millennials--they're easily duped and they like to be duped.

To break it down further, some would argue that a lack of critical insight and ability to be easily pandered to are two criteria for being poo poo people.

Let me argue for you though and go a step further to assert, as I bet you are, that "nothing matters" , so it's dumb to get upset about anything, culture included, OR perhaps you're one of those quasi-nihilists who's actually a closet positivist and is excited by anything you see, as long as you don't have to be critical of it.

I really hope you have more to say than that, but I'm also pretty sure you'll just shitpost again.

Sorry for this late reply.

I have really strong values I hold dearly, and a distaste for the commercialization of the world is one of them. I agree with your points about how corporations use a veneer of affability to hide an alienating production process.

However I think that you thinking that millenials are somehow unaware that corporations manipulate them is extremely funny. There isn't a person in america over the age of 14 who isn't aware of the truthbombs you are dropping

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I'm glad you can decipher what toad is saying because to me it seemed like incoherent nonsense.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

Everybody in gbs is pretty millennial, except maybe for genesplicer and other Olds

I remember the Cold War. :bahgawd:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That quiet zone sounds great but it'd suck for playing ingress.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

I remember the Cold War. :bahgawd:

k we'll add you to the The List, grandpa

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm Gary powers irl

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Please tell me this is not real?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hopper posted:

It's probably fake if for no other reason than I can't imagine any institution encouraging people to run on the stairs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

It's probably fake if for no other reason than I can't imagine any institution encouraging people to run on the stairs.

Also having the run section in the middle column is really stupid. You'd want walk in the middle as they are least likely to fall, and txt and the run on either side, so if they do fall they can catch themselves.

Although possibly it is real and what ever institution it is, is just a bit crap.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hopper posted:

ye of little faith in the levels self absorbtion of millienials
http://abcnews.go.com/US/university-utah-installs-texting-lane-stairs/story?id=31837460

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Section 31 posted:

You hate your children?

I think he's saying that he hates your children, (we all do)

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

plain blue jacket posted:

I'm glad you can decipher what toad is saying because to me it seemed like incoherent nonsense.

he's saying that businesses pretend to buy into cultural or subcultural identity markers to promote sales among targeted demographics. Also he seems to think this is something that is happening uniquely to millennials, who are completely oblivious to it :confused:

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

Like a toe learned to dress itself

I dare say that a toe that learned to dress itself would edge her out on talent.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Ocean Book posted:

he's saying that businesses pretend to buy into cultural or subcultural identity markers to promote sales among targeted demographics. Also he seems to think this is something that is happening uniquely to millennials, who are completely oblivious to it :confused:

you're a good man

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ocean Book posted:

Sorry for this late reply.

I have really strong values I hold dearly, and a distaste for the commercialization of the world is one of them. I agree with your points about how corporations use a veneer of affability to hide an alienating production process.

However I think that you thinking that millenials are somehow unaware that corporations manipulate them is extremely funny. There isn't a person in america over the age of 14 who isn't aware of the truthbombs you are dropping

To expand on this, millenials are fully aware, and also realize there isn't poo poo they can do about any of it. Ironic despair is the order of the day.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
no millenials are all stupid and easily tricked. I know this as a fact because I am 40 and have a bad back.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
bad back? probably from staring at your phone all day? Typical freakin millenial..

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The biggest and maybe only real difference is that Millennials think "respect" means "giving/getting what you want." Older generations taught and learned that 'respect' means earning the trust and appreciation of others through hard work and honesty. To older generations, 'acceptance' as a part of life, in part because there will always be things that can't be changed, and in part because the value of the struggle is most often greater than the value of avoidance. Suffering through some hardships makes you better in the end. To Millennials, its a concept that's been inverted.

Millennials reject that notion, that anyone should ever have to face discomfort, failure, or disappointment of any kind. The leaders of their zeitgeist grew up never being told, "no" and the rest latch on to the notion, in response to whatever particular discomfort they'd like to avoid. The natural immutability of some things, like simple biology, or the inability to control other people's minds, causes the majority of the mental gymnastics in their philosophies.

I think older generations learned that occasional disappointment makes people stronger and better, and sometimes someone is going to tell you, "no." Millennials didn't.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

no millenials are all stupid and easily tricked. I know this as a fact because I am 40 and have a bad back.

did you walk into an open manhole while texting

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

blarzgh posted:

The biggest and maybe only real difference is that Millennials think "respect" means "giving/getting what you want." Older generations taught and learned that 'respect' means earning the trust and appreciation of others through hard work and honesty. To older generations, 'acceptance' as a part of life, in part because there will always be things that can't be changed, and in part because the value of the struggle is most often greater than the value of avoidance. Suffering through some hardships makes you better in the end. To Millennials, its a concept that's been inverted.

Millennials reject that notion, that anyone should ever have to face discomfort, failure, or disappointment of any kind. The leaders of their zeitgeist grew up never being told, "no" and the rest latch on to the notion, in response to whatever particular discomfort they'd like to avoid. The natural immutability of some things, like simple biology, or the inability to control other people's minds, causes the majority of the mental gymnastics in their philosophies.

I think older generations learned that occasional disappointment makes people stronger and better, and sometimes someone is going to tell you, "no." Millennials didn't.

Thanks Dr Freud

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Older generations taught and learned that 'respect' means earning the trust and appreciation of others through hard work and honesty.

lol if anyone actually believes this

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Awesome Welles posted:

lol if anyone actually believes this

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

ethanol posted:

I fell into a sewer while sexting on my segway :(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blarzgh posted:

is this how you explain destroying the american dream rear end in a top hat?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

blarzgh posted:

actually millenials with a brain think respect is earned not granted by virtue of having outlived your peers cya

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I find that my old lovely co-workers assume they should be respected even though they suck at their jobs and should have been put out to pasture long ago.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Decrepus posted:

I find that my old lovely co-workers assume they should be respected even though they suck at their jobs and should have been put out to pasture long ago.

Yep. Lots of those in IT. What do you mean we should not be using telnet32? Have you all lost your cotton picking minds? How else are we going to access the cobol mainframe?

Yeah, uh..nobody accesses that thing anymore but you, so we're shutting you down.

Union says it stays up until I retire.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
More like...

blarzgh posted:

Older generations taught and learned that 'respect' means earning the trust and appreciation of others through hard work and honesty by not being born a negro, irish, or chinese.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
millennial are the people olds masturbate to. think about it

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ethanol posted:

Who turned out the lights?

(born in 1983)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

you truly are the puppetmaster

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

See this is what's wrong with society today. Instead of teaching students proper behaviour, in this case not to walk and text at the same time, they cater to this unnecessary and at times (especially on stairs) dangerous behaviour by expressively allocating a lane for it. Seriously can anyone explain the benefit of this compared to teaching people the correct stairway rule "don't walk and text on a busy stairwell".
This kind of "tolerance" teaches an already very self absorbed young generation that whatever you do is OK as long as you do it long enough so that other people simply give up and let you do it.
I know in this case it is mostly "harmless" but it set a wrong example if you ask me.

Please tell me I am not the only 34 year old one who thinks this way.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
i dunno whenever someone says millennial i picture some idiot w/neck tattoos and those dumb loving gauge plugs in their ears so pretend i posted pics of people who are basically unemployable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

you truly are the puppetmaster

Dance for me!

• Locked thread