Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sellouts posted:

Xbox one does all of these things pretty well. What is handled by an Apple TV that the bone doesn't do?

What do you expect this to do? If you're already in the plex ecosystem, isn't that independent of the apple ecosystem minus poo poo like Apple Music?

If the box is stupid powerful that's one thing but I just don't understand why anyone would buy one of these day one based on price point alone. I don't see any huge exclusive features. Especially for those using a media management server like Plex.

Airplay, MLS Live, and (this is pure speculation and hope) a Plex app that doesn't require the plexpass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm really hoping the Siri mic is on the remote itself and not the ATV.
Why exactly? Amazon Echo has the microphone on the device and it works great., and you never need to use the remote if you don't want.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Why exactly? Amazon Echo has the microphone on the device and it works great., and you never need to use the remote if you don't want.

I guess. I'm just used to things with mics far away sucking.

I'm looking at you, xbox kinect.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

smackfu posted:

My Apple TV is not in the same room as my TVs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Airplay, MLS Live, and (this is pure speculation and hope) a Plex app that doesn't require the plexpass.

Yeah it's kind of annoying that AirPlay works with PHT and not any of the app versions

Plex pass though is not really a big deal though.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm really hoping the Siri mic is on the remote itself and not the ATV.

I have a new Comcast remote with a mic built in for their voice service. To be honest it was a pain in the rear end, and I never used it again after the first day (in the end using the remote was easier). AppleTV should be better due to the fact they have less channels (the issue with Comcast is how confused it could when searching for what you asked for), and that Siri overall is a better service. Still given how often I use Siri on my iPhone, I am not sure how excited I am about Siri on my AppleTV.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I have a new Comcast remote with a mic built in for their voice service. To be honest it was a pain in the rear end, and I never used it again after the first day (in the end using the remote was easier). AppleTV should be better due to the fact they have less channels (the issue with Comcast is how confused it could when searching for what you asked for), and that Siri overall is a better service. Still given how often I use Siri on my iPhone, I am not sure how excited I am about Siri on my AppleTV.

I use the voice function on my FireTV all the time because a) gently caress typing poo poo, and b) it's scarily accurate

If it comes to pass that the new ATV has Siri and it's on par with the FireTV you'll be surprised at how much you use it

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Siri support will be a godsend anytime you have to search. it'll be especially useful in searching Netflix and YouTube.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I use the voice function on my FireTV all the time because a) gently caress typing poo poo,

This.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guys will the new ATV have rocket league this is important

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Check back in two years.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been thinking that's one thing I would love for Apple to figure out. Right now, if you want to watch a movie, you can navigate to your iTunes share, Netflix app, HBO, etc. Then you gotta drill down through menus and poo poo to find what to watch. There has to be a way to make things more content oriented than app oriented. This is the intent behind Apple Music, and despite its flaws, it does that well. I'm always finding new playlists and things to listen to.

You can do this now with a Tivo box. Searching for a show or movie will present with all the ways you could watch it on the box, including Netflix, VOD, etc. It is a pretty nice feature.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do Tivo's third-party apps still suck? Last time I owned a Tivo, it was ridiculous how slow they were.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

FCKGW posted:

Guys will the new ATV have rocket league this is important

I'll be happy when it comes out for OSX

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Do Tivo's third-party apps still suck? Last time I owned a Tivo, it was ridiculous how slow they were.

To me they don't seem any different than using the same app on an Apple TV or a Smart TV.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

smackfu posted:

I was a huge tivo guy back in early 2000s but i'm shocked it still exists with what they charge for listings. They should have just profited on the hardware.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

I was a huge tivo guy back in early 2000s but i'm shocked it still exists with what they charge for listings. They should have just profited on the hardware.

They had a competitor that did exactly this and went out of business.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

qirex posted:

They had a competitor that did exactly this and went out of business.

Who?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No way was TiVo going to compete with SciAtl and friends on hardware pricing. They were always a software play.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Replay TV I'm guessing.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Replay TV I'm guessing.

Had a subscription fee just like tivo

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I tried out Plex on the Apple tv through airplay from my iPhone and it works really well except one issue. If I start browsing Facebook or the web and I scroll to an area of a page that has a video airplay freaks out and stops playing Plex in preparation to play the video I've scrolled to. Really annoying. Is there a way to disable airplay on an app by app basis?

I've disabled autoplay videos in Facebook but just the presence of a playable video seems to screw it up.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I tried out Plex on the Apple tv through airplay from my iPhone and it works really well except one issue. If I start browsing Facebook or the web and I scroll to an area of a page that has a video airplay freaks out and stops playing Plex in preparation to play the video I've scrolled to. Really annoying. Is there a way to disable airplay on an app by app basis?

I've disabled autoplay videos in Facebook but just the presence of a playable video seems to screw it up.

What are you watching on Plex that's so boring you need to browse Facebook?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's mostly my wife. Watching tv is when she catches up on Facebook and instagram.

Sports with a lot of down time like formula 1 practice sessions too.

I do have an iPhone 4 in a desk drawer I can use as a dedicated airplay device but my aim is to simplify and consolidate down to one device as much as possible.

I used plexconnect for a long time but got annoyed at having to restart dns on my computer a lot just so Netflix would work properly again. Something was happening where 1 out of every 3 times I would start up Netflix it wouldn't be able to connect until I restarted the plexconnect service on my computer.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 5, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just to be clear, this same thing happens to me and I don't use Plex at all. If I'm air playing something from my iPad, as soon as I scroll through facebook it errors out.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
The solution is don't open something that could contain video on the same device you're airplaying from.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What a crappy solution.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

The solution is don't open something that could contain video on the same device you're airplaying from.

I could browse safari all day without an issue. Maybe Facebook just sucks and auto play videos suck too.

Also, it's not just when I'm AirPlaying from my iPad. I could be watching Netflix on the AppleTV and if I accidentally forget to turn off AirPlay, it does the same thing if I open Facebook.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SKY COQ posted:

The solution is don't open something that could contain autoplaying video on the same device you're airplaying from OR leave airplay on and do the same thing while watching something else.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Or the solution is for Facebook to fix their loving app, which even if you're TRYING to AirPlay something from, just errors out.

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
Or you could use plexconnect again and set your dns on the appletv to manual when you wanted to use that and then set it to automatic when you wanted to watch netflix. Annoying but only takes a few seconds. As an aside, I use plexconnect all the time and have never had to restart it so maybe there was some setting you were screwing up on your end.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I'll see you all later today after the announcement.

There's a thread up over here for the Event and Discussion.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm happy to see HDMI-CEC but HDMI 1.4 means it's limited to 1080p and basic audio formats.
http://www.apple.com/tv/specs/

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Major event details:

New AppleTV coming in late October.
$150 for the 32GB model, $200 for the 64GB
Gets the A8 processor (same as iPhone 6)
New remote with a glass touch surface on the top half, a Siri button, and built in gyroscope/accelerometer.
Dedicated app store with continuity between universal apps
Same dimensions, just a bit taller.
Deep Siri integration with universal search. Can pull up Siri while watching other stuff (other stuff automatically pauses). No word on how deep 3rd party devs can get into Siri but it was pulling up Hulu/iTunes/Netflix/HBO Now results.
Use your iPhone and/or iPod Touch as an extra controller(s)

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
My eyebrow raised on this bullet point:

Siri Remote

- Lightning connector for charging

Here's to hoping it lasts more than a few weeks on a charge. Not to mention the Apple TV doesn't have a full sized USB port, so you will need to recharge it somewhere else. Definitely a lame part of an otherwise interesting product.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So It's an Apple TV with a bit better HD, App Store, and Wii like games. Am I missing anything?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Fatal posted:

Siri Remote

Here's to hoping it lasts more than a few weeks on a charge. Not to mention the Apple TV doesn't have a full sized USB port, so you will need to recharge it somewhere else. Definitely a lame part of an otherwise interesting product.

From the Specs Page:

Rechargeable battery providing months of battery life on a single charge (with typical daily usage)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Fatal posted:

Siri Remote

From the Apple Tech Specs page:

quote:

Rechargeable battery providing months of battery life on a single charge (with typical daily usage)

Edit: Beaten.

Duckman2008 posted:

So It's an Apple TV with a bit better HD, App Store, and Wii like games. Am I missing anything?

Not sure about the bit better HD but the Siri integration is a big feature. You can just ask about a show and it'll pull up any service hooked into Siri's APIs and let you know where you can stream/rent/buy it from.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

Voice navigation.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Integrated Siri search across apps. More powerful processor capable of streaming more than 1 video simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they say if the Siri mic is in the remote or in the Apple TV?

• Locked thread