Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I haven't read anything about heat resistant primer for Soviet vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
There aren't many plastic ships on here, so I'll post some of the work in progress as I go. I'm building the Tamiya 1/350 Tirpitz which is a kit from the 70s, and have some out of print Eduard photoetch as I really wanted railings. I'm super glad I got the photo etch now too, as there's a lot of detail missing from the plastic. The kit is old and the detail so-so, plus the moulds are starting to go, so it should be a good starting mess kit!

First up is some new mounting points for the hull and a temp work stand, as the stand in the box is a bit boring:

I wanted to have a couple of bolts through the hull so I can change stands, but didn't trust the plastic. So a bit of ply was shaped for the conveniently placed battery holder:

Then a couple of bolts through and a rough temp work stand was knocked up.

It's been good fun so far as there's a stupid number of smaller parts in the kit to build first.

There's a bunch more photoetch to go on the guns and stuff above, I've only done the secondary guns so far. The dual cannon turned side-on (they're 10.5cm high angle cannons) has a bit of photoetch on the side. That's a door. This scale is wack.

I'm not going to go all-out with new photoetch and real wood decks on this one, because it makes a $100 model go quickly north of $200. Maybe next time.. some of the aftermarket stuff is insane. Like wooden decks, photoetch details, and screws for the launches. The 1" long launches.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Very nicely done. I do have a question though. Not directed specifically at you, but in general for tanks. Why so much black at the business end of the gun barrel? I realize that if the gun has been fired a lot without cleaning that there will be some accumulation of smoke/soot at the muzzle break, but I see a lot of tank models done with what certainly seems to me to be an excessive amount. Do they really get that black? I honestly have no idea, but I'm curious about it.

I think it's just one of those effects that can get overdone because it can look cool. It's kind of like chipping and rust on vehicles. So many modelers chip and rust the vehicles to the point where if it was real life, that tank would be on the scrap-heap, but they do it anyways because it looks cool. I guess it just matters what type of modeler a person is; someone who's going for as realistic a paint job as possible, or someone who wants to make it look badass, even if it strays from reality.

I'm just as guilty as anyone really. The AT-ST's in Star Wars were perhaps a tad dirty, maybe a little sooty, but they were generally pretty clean compared to the rebel vehicles. But I dirtied mine up quite a bit, cause it's just makes it cooler.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 29, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sanguine posted:

There aren't many plastic ships on here, so I'll post some of the work in progress as I go. I'm building the Tamiya 1/350 Tirpitz which is a kit from the 70s, and have some out of print Eduard photoetch as I really wanted railings. I'm super glad I got the photo etch now too, as there's a lot of detail missing from the plastic. The kit is old and the detail so-so, plus the moulds are starting to go, so it should be a good starting mess kit!

Sweet. I had one of those kits that I started about 30 years ago, but never really got beyond painting the hull and assembling one of the main turrets. I took it to the local IPMS meeting a month ago, and traded it away to a guy for a Model Shipways Constitution kit. Yes.. a $90'ish? 30 year old plastic kit for a $500 (probably also 30 years old) wood kit. I was unlikely to ever finish the Tirpitz, and I'm probably just as unlikely to ever build the Constitution, but I have lots of fittings and wood I can use, and the plans alone sell for $60.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it's just one of those effects that can get overdone because it can look cool. It's kind of like chipping and rust on vehicles. So many modelers chip and rust the vehicles to the point where if it was real life, that tank would be on the scrap-heap, but they do it anyways because it looks cool. I guess it just matters what type of modeler a person is; someone who's going for as realistic a paint job as possible, or someone who wants to make it look badass, even if it strays from reality.

I'm just as guilty as anyone really. The AT-ST's in Star Wars were perhaps a tad dirty, maybe a little sooty, but they were generally pretty clean compared to the rebel vehicles. But I dirtied mine up quite a bit, cause it's just makes it cooler.

Makes perfect sense. I know I've seen a lot of modelers complaining about the over-use of weathering/effects on plastic airplane models lately (not here really, but at IPMS and some other forums).

I have a smallish update on the ship rigging. I spend a lot of time fiddling with little ropes and blocks without much really easily photograph-able results, but progress is being made (when I'm not taking something apart to re-do it).

This is a partially completed 'Jeers block'. It holds the bottom yard for the topsail. I have no idea why I didn't take a picture after I finished it. The other rope gets another tiny loop seized in it, that gets wrapped around the trestle-tree at the top of the main mast, and then the two loops get lashed together to hold it up.

Things I've finished since the last update (I can add details or take more pictures of specific things if anyone is interested):
Bowsprit shrouds (one to either side).
Jib Halyard, downhaul, and tackle.
Fore Staysail Halyard, downhaul, and tackle.
Gaff rigged and mounted.
Gaff Peak Halyard and tackle.
I've also added a bunch of blocks to the mast and top mast, as well as some ropes that attach to those blocks which can be seen taped up into coils.

Since the last picture was taken, I realized that the jib traveler ring is too far back on the jib boom, and because I'm an idiot I already trimmed the in-hauls that hold the traveler ring, so I removed both of those, and tomorrow I'll redo that entire thing so that the dark rope that is the farthest one out on the jib boom will be much closer to the tip of it, giving me more room for some of the other lines and tackle that have to be added.

It's amazing how many little ropes and blocks are attached all over the drat place, and I've already learned an important lesson. No matter how good I think the instructions I'm following are, don't start on the rigging until you've read through the entire rigging process a few times, and made my own drat plans with an order of assembly and checklist. There are so many things that I should have attached to either the masts, or stays or other bits of rigging long before I got to this point where other poo poo is in the way.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Alright, here it is! Just when Han thought he was gonna get blasted, out comes Chewie! Images are linked to phat-rear end sized ones on Imagebucket (gonna get better hosting at some point).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Anyone planning to go to the San Diego Festival of Sail next weekend? I'm going to go and waste lots of money sailing multiple times per day as well as in the parade of sail on Friday and would be down for meeting up with anyone else who is going to be around sometime during the weekend.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I find the main problem with weathering is that it's too much drat fun, which makes it easier to get sucked into the moment and go overboard.

The weathering on your AT-ST is fantastic. It looks like it survived many intense battles with those drat ewoks. :argh:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I think it's quite funny to see late war German vehicles weathered all to hell. Especially because they often had a life expectancy of weeks/days.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Molentik posted:

I think it's quite funny to see late war German vehicles weathered all to hell. Especially because they often had a life expectancy of weeks/days.

They were made out of the worst 'steel' and painted with hopes and dreams, though :v:

(true speak: I am a chronic over weatherer and wish I could stop. but just one more oil spot ... )

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Jonny Nox posted:

from some random review:

The landing gear was clearly meant to be modelled in the up position because from the sprues I saw, there was nothing keeping you from seeing the inside of the model through the wheel wells if modelled down.

It was the kind of kit where I opened the box, pulled out the instructions, sighed, and put it all in my stash.

It has a cockpit, with a seat. Which is better than:

Airfix will continue to be the crapkit king as long as they sell shiny new boxes with contents from moulds over 60 years old. The DH88 is a beautiful plane which doesn't deserve the Airfix kit.

(As always, I'll point out that new mould Airfix are good though. Anything after 2000 should be pretty nice.)

(apart from their TSR-2 I'm currently this close to hurling into a loving wall because nothing fits.)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I have a sorta finished but unpainted DH-88 sitting on the desk. The thing is an abomination - the landing gear is awful, the gear doors don't fit, and the engine air intakes are either flashed over or misshapen as buggery. It's on par with, if not slightly better than, their 1/76 Tiger. Crap tank was bad, but those two are are worse in nearly every way.

I think I'll just paint it dollar-store red and make a mobile for my nephew from it. Well, once I finish trying to fill the holes and gaps in every. single. joint.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Those poor pilots, forever stuck attempting to take off in an airplane where they filled the cockpit with concrete.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH I just did the weathering on that so excessively because the Egyptians basically didn't maintain their kit at all and it looked wrecked.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
All right, craptanks, make room for the GIGASTALIN

At 1:30, it's the largest tank I own, noticeably bigger than its 1:35th IS-2 cousin or even the slightly fatter 1:32nd Sherman and Lee.

Unlike Tamiya's old motorized kits, this one very obviously was meant to have a motor when looking from the outside. The openings to the final drive (which for some reason was placed outside the hull) are visible, as are the gears on the drive sprockets. There was also some kind of opening in the rear, but I patched that up with some spare plastic. These holes I only noticed after I glued on the hull, too late to fill them in. You can also see the weird rubber tracks in this image that have these weird hemisphere bumps on them instead of the track teeth.

For some strange reason, the sprues were connected into one inside the box. They separated easily (the old plastic snapped without much resistance), but this brittleness was rather unfortunate, as there were very large cracks running through the lower and upper hull halves.

Even though the kit was made by a toy company, it manages to be more accurate than the Airfix kit, barring some curious design choices like the aforementioned suspension problems, lack of AA machinegun, a pickaxe as the only available pioneer tool, lack of travel lock, and the kind of weird muzzle brake. Overall, it's a fairly simple kit. There is no interior, even though, with some work, you could make the hatches movable. My kit didn't come with any decals, but looking at the weird star on the box, I can safely assume it was for the best.

Amusingly enough, the short description in the two-page manual describes the tank has having 120 mm of armour and being a major contributor to the defeat of the fascists, which makes it pretty obvious that they were thinking of the IS-2 when making this kit and built a passable IS-3 entirely by accident. This theory is reinforced by the very approximate T-34-85 that the company also makes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

1:30 seems like a very odd scale. Decent looking tank though. Where did you even find something like that?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
There was no date on the box or manual, but I can assume that the kit is decades old, presumably before anyone standardized on 1:35 as "large" kits. I got it from Wings and Wheels Hobbies in Toronto, they have a section for kits they bought in bulk from other dealers, there's all sorts of crazy obscure stuff that turns up.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Wings and Wheels kicks so much rear end :canada:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
That is a ginourmous tank. I'm still amazed at how small the is-3 is, though. I sort of expect it to dwarf other tanks.

Also, have an approximately 1/36.5 uss missouri. In Lego.

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/385823

It's Lego man scale.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 31, 2015

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Sanguine posted:

Also, have an approximately 1/36.5 uss missouri. In Lego.

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/385823

It's Lego man scale.

The kinda sad story with this one is he went ahead wanting build the biggest Lego boat ever seen only to find out right when he finished that he was beaten in the meantime and someone else built the same boat only larger (1/35)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ican-rival.html

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Greyhawk posted:

The kinda sad story with this one is he went ahead wanting build the biggest Lego boat ever seen only to find out right when he finished that he was beaten in the meantime and someone else built the same boat only larger.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ican-rival.html

Man that's a shame because his is loads better, the American barely detailed his at all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd just say "gently caress it" and add a scene of my lego construction workers building on a big bow spit to attach a sail to that reads "mine's better, shitlord" and call it done.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd just say "gently caress it" and add a scene of my lego construction workers building on a big bow spit to attach a sail to that reads "mine's better, shitlord" and call it done.

He should pretend he got the record and take a picture of the ship with a "mission accomplished" banner on it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just make a huge long pole of gray blocks and write "battleship" on it. If quality doesn't count gently caress the whole thing. First guy's battleship was way way better.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
A bit late to join the craptank train, but I found these in a model shop today and decided to have a go.

Deanut Pancer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 31, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Deanut Pancer posted:

A bit late to join the craptank train, but I found these in a model shop today and decided to have a go.

It's never too late to experience the wonders of craptank.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Deanut Pancer posted:

Well, you still have today. Get gluing. Forget mold lines, no one will know/care.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It might soon be too late, apparently Airfix are retiring all their 1/76 moulds. Even the good ones :(

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Deanut Pancer posted:

Sorry, that Spitfire is a pretty great model. You probably won't even need filler.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Deanut Pancer posted:

Well you have 'till tomorrow morning 'till I cross post to the painting modelling thread so getting cracking kidda.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Deanut Pancer posted:

There are still quite a few hours left in August, get cracking!

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013

Deanut Pancer posted:

Having built that exact Spitfire 6 months ago, it's a decent kit, especially for the price. Go nuts with the Uncle Craptank though!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

MisterMarmite posted:

Having built that exact Spitfire 6 months ago, it's a decent kit, especially for the price. Go nuts with the Uncle Craptank though!

Yep, that's a good one. Here's mine:

Not as good as that but better than the craptank, I have stopped fiddling with the Airfix 1/72nd TSR-2.

Bad fit for a kit from 2006 and if I didn't like the plane so much I wouldn't have finished it. Looks OK from a distance, though, and I actually got some panel lines I'm happy with on the tail at least.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Unkempt posted:

Not as good as that but better than the craptank, I have stopped fiddling with the Airfix 1/72nd TSR-2.

:britain:

Nice. Good work on getting the decals blended in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

Executively decided. We now have 31 days to procure and complete an Airfix 1:76 IS-3.
We're down to two hours left before this post becomes 32 days old. Will there be any last-minute additions to CrapTank Kompanie?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh we're posting our results then? Mine aren't near as good as Unkempt's

and with her stable mates (Still missing the Mk.22 and the II from that same kit)

edit:

Also, here is what I got out of that Acadamy F4F-4 kit I was dissing earlier. Exterior does work, but I didn't even bother with the "cockpit", and don't even think of building it gear down unless you are willing to put in a ton of scratch build work. Note: is a work in progress. I need to add decals but there are a total of 8 so it won't take long.

edit 2:

MicroSet IS NOT OPTIONAL on the Academy decals.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 1, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Cross posted the tale of Crap Tank to the miniature painting mega thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post449679127

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Crossposting from the aeronautical thread: somebody built a working GE 90 (a very large modern turbofan engine) using a 3d Printer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkgHB5bgmc

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Late, and incomplete. I tried melting and gluing the tracks on but they just dont want to stay together. Crap effort for my crap tank anyways since I basically redid the paint job last night.

Inspired by the red and silver here:

CRAP that I poo poo out:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

Late, and incomplete. I tried melting and gluing the tracks on but they just dont want to stay together. Crap effort for my crap tank anyways since I basically redid the paint job last night.

The IS-3 was late for the war; that's my excuse :colbert:

(I am never going to finishstart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Nice craptank!