Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

demonR6 posted:

HA! That is some funny poo poo. I started the match by telling my team "That Hosho is my last letter E for the Pax contest and I will unload double volleys of torps into any of you who get between me and that ship.." then I blasted right through, killed that one dude from your team who was trying to cut me off before I blazed trails to you.

Now here is where everything went to hell for me...

I have an icon mod so I cannot take screens after the battle because you cannot read the name of the ship you sank. I figured I have replays enabled so after all this is done I will go to the replay in question, fast forward to the end and get my screen right? After I was done with that last match I logged out of botes and did folder renaming launched my first replay. I fast forwarded to the end and then...

well when the last ship is killed the loving replay ends without going to the after action report. All that work..

:negative:

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Mr. Peepers posted:

This is the issue I'm having with the New York: http://gfycat.com/DismalContentChrysalis

3 AP shells into the lower hull of a Wyoming, 3300 damage. I can't tell what I'm doing wrong here.

Those shells look like they might be too low for a citadel at that range. When you're at long range aim high enough to plunge through the deck. If you aim too low the shells either don't penetrate the citadel because they miss it, or they bounce off the angled belt due to the angle they're falling at.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah are they hitting below the gun belt at the water line?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Mr. Peepers posted:

This is the issue I'm having with the New York: http://gfycat.com/DismalContentChrysalis

3 AP shells into the lower hull of a Wyoming, 3300 damage. I can't tell what I'm doing wrong here.

Did it say 3 hits? 3 hits does not always mean 3 penetrations. Even ricochets will give you a hit marker. It looks to me like 2 of the shells bounced due to the plunging angle, and one normalized and penetrated normally for 3300 damage. New York overpens usually only deal 1k damage, and you wouldn't be overpenning when hitting the waterline, I think. If the shells hit the deck and penned instead, they likely would have been very close to hitting the citadel (or just straight up overpenning, lol).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
New gameplay post: http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/gameplay-breakdown-3/
Excerpt:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Hazdoc posted:

Did it say 3 hits? 3 hits does not always mean 3 penetrations. Even ricochets will give you a hit marker. It looks to me like 2 of the shells bounced due to the plunging angle, and one normalized and penetrated normally for 3300 damage. New York overpens usually only deal 1k damage, and you wouldn't be overpenning when hitting the waterline, I think. If the shells hit the deck and penned instead, they likely would have been very close to hitting the citadel (or just straight up overpenning, lol).

After looking up the math myself I think this is what happened. It just frustrated me because it was an extremely tight grouping for once, did give me 3 hit markers, did fuckall for damage, and the Wyoming's return salvo did more to me.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Mr. Peepers posted:

Watch that gif in reduced speed and observe. The three shells with the lower trajectory hit right about the waterline at probably close to a 45 degree angle, on an area of the ship that has 229/279mm of belt armor. It's very unlikely they penetrated. The 3300 damage appears to come from the single higher trajectory shell hitting somewhere between the forward superstructure and the middle pair of turrets.

e: fb :argh:

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 1, 2015

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Had a pretty good match in my Isokaze earlier. It takes a lot of willpower for me to not just spray torpedoes at the first thing I see, so I usually don't do well at all in DDs. This match, though, I managed to trail a Phoenix undetected until he led me to one of their CVs, at which point I managed to wait until I was detected to launch my torps to ensure they hit. Then I escaped the Phoenix, killed a Tenryu that tried to intercept me, and followed some TBs back to the other CV and killed him, too.

I still thought my team was going to manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but we pulled it off at, literally, the last second. times like this I really wish I had replays enabled.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
They extended the contest through Thursday right? I'm still missing an r and an e.

EDIT: Yeah they did. Still need an R.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 1, 2015

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Where are the South Dakota class BBs? I grew up in/around Mobile, and I would pay a fairly silly amount of money for a premium Alabama. Maybe not for a sister ship though. I know it's early on but seems really odd that they haven't implemented any(?) of the museum ships.

So that last patch wiped that mod package I installed, do I just reinstall it or do I need to wipe out old files first or anything like that?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Devorum posted:

Had a pretty good match in my Isokaze earlier. It takes a lot of willpower for me to not just spray torpedoes at the first thing I see, so I usually don't do well at all in DDs.

This contest made me play more super-aggressive in an effort to hunt down the ship I needed and in the process I would make these otherwise ridiculous and risky torpedo runs along the way to get other ships out of my hair. I killed four ships yesterday on the way to sink one Omaha I needed that decided to run from me even though it was in a pile of other ships protecting it. That did not work out too well anyways but you get the drift.. drive hard, shoot often, set everyone ablaze in the process.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DiHK posted:

Where are the South Dakota class BBs? I grew up in/around Mobile, and I would pay a fairly silly amount of money for a premium Alabama. Maybe not for a sister ship though. I know it's early on but seems really odd that they haven't implemented any(?) of the museum ships.

So that last patch wiped that mod package I installed, do I just reinstall it or do I need to wipe out old files first or anything like that?

The trouble is the progression from North Carolina to South Dakota to Iowa is pretty incremental and not in keeping with the current tiers of battleship power. South Dakota is better protected than North Carolina with the same guns, and Iowa is a faster South Dakota with slightly better guns. I think they'd have a hard time making a legitimate case for the tier 7 to 10 progression with those ships leading to Montana.

Even putting South Dakota as a premium probably wouldn't work well, because it's one of the better battleship designs with no weaknesses (and they usually don't do premiums that way, especially at high tier). Best case they gimp the AA, and that's no fun for anyone. What I would guess happens is they split it into slow battleships and fast battleships trees, placing NC, SD, Iowa and Montana as the tier 7-10 in the fast class, put Colorado, one of the NC up gunned paper ships at 8, and go with the 18" Montana analog at 10.

This way the tier 8 battleship measuring stick is reduced, and they can stick Alabama or something as a premium tier 8. Or maybe they make tier 9 in Warships the high cost high reward premium tier like 8 was in WoT.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

DiHK posted:

I know it's early on but seems really odd that they haven't implemented any(?) of the museum ships.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Four of the ships named in game are currently museum ships (Mikasa, Iowa, and North Carolina, and Mo). Additionally, there are Essex (USS Yorktown, Hornet, Intrepid, and Lexington) museum ships, as well as Gearings (USS Everett F. Larson, Eversole, Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr., and William R. Rush), Fletchers (USS The Sullivans, Cassin Young, Charrette, and Kidd), a Des Moines (USS Salem), a Cleveland (USS Little Rock), a New York (USS Texas), and the other surviving Iowas (USS Missouri, Wisconsin, and New Jersey).

e: I hosed up and thought the T10 BB was Missouri. Also left off the other Iowa class ships.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 1, 2015

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Moatman posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Four of the ships named in game are currently museum ships (Mikasa, Iowa, North Carolina, and Mo). Additionally, there are Essex (USS Yorktown, Hornet, Intrepid, and Lexington) museum ships, as well as Gearings (USS Everett F. Larson, Eversole, Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr., and William R. Rush), Fletchers (USS The Sullivans, Cassin Young, Charrette, and Kidd), a Des Moines (USS Salem), a Cleveland (USS Little Rock), and a New York (USS Texas).

I was going to say that my main impetus to grind out US BBs is to get the North Carolina, which I've been on many times and I really want to blow up boats with it.

And I need one E! One! So elusive, the E.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Moatman posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Four of the ships named in game are currently museum ships (Mikasa, Iowa, North Carolina, and Mo). Additionally, there are Essex (USS Yorktown, Hornet, Intrepid, and Lexington) museum ships, as well as Gearings (USS Everett F. Larson, Eversole, Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr., and William R. Rush), Fletchers (USS The Sullivans, Cassin Young, Charrette, and Kidd), a Des Moines (USS Salem), a Cleveland (USS Little Rock), and a New York (USS Texas).

Well, there was a reason I put the question mark there. I was only referring to USN BB's, where is the Mikasa berthed? I didn't know LA had the Iowa, which is sweet because I make it out there every once in a while and will probably never get to Hawaii for the Missouri. Which is the MO... not the Montana, which was either sold for scrap (BB51) or paper only (BB67). So what MO were you talking about? I also didn't know about the North Carolina.

Velius posted:

Even putting South Dakota as a premium probably wouldn't work well, because it's one of the better battleship designs with no weaknesses (and they usually don't do premiums that way, especially at high tier).

Doesn't the Atlanta cross that line for cruisers? I know that's a slightly different ballgame...

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DiHK posted:

Doesn't the Atlanta cross that line for cruisers? I know that's a slightly different ballgame...

Atlanta are fantastic AA platforms and can do horrible things to destroyers and unaware CLs, but against CAs and battleships they're more annoying than a threat. They're virtually unarmored and have pretty short range. I know they're practically piñatas to Japanese cruisers past the Furutaka.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Velius posted:

Atlanta are fantastic AA platforms and can do horrible things to destroyers and unaware CLs, but against CAs and battleships they're more annoying than a threat. They're virtually unarmored and have pretty short range. I know they're practically piñatas to Japanese cruisers past the Furutaka.

Also any shell that hits any of it's turrets will take that turret (and sometimes the turret next to it) out.

It also only has an 11km range which puts it at a serious disadvantage in most situations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't realize Atlanta's were so fragile, the two times I've met one I've been pretty beaten up and got blooped before I could do more the get my guns training on them. And that's in Omaha's so yeah, bloop city man.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah, the Atlanta gimmick is chain firing HE (or AP on lightly armored cruisers up close) and panicking people into making mistakes. If you just chill and AP the center they tend to explode very quickly, even if you're eating shells every second.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a formula for determining the rough angle your shells will be landing at as a function of distance and maximum range?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is there a formula for determining the rough angle your shells will be landing at as a function of distance and maximum range?

It depends on the gun, actually, and trends for the two sides right now. American shells tend to have higher firing angles and be floaty, giving them usually more plunging fire at long range. Clevelands at long range are really floaty and hard to hit with, with 15-20 second flight times. IJN shells tend to be flatter trajectories and maybe a bit faster. The IJN tier 10 CA, the Zao, has significantly higher velocity shells than any other ship in the game right now and is apparently really dreamy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is the Murmansk as bullshit as it seemed to be when I last fought it? It was faster, much longer ranged than me, and as my battleship tried to close on it to get in range, it sent off a big ol' spread of torpedoes.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I think this is a bit exaggerated, most combat ranges are too close for the immunity zones. Ranges are just limited, not compressed, so guns are never firing at maximum elevation and you'll only see deck hits at the edges of range.

DiHK posted:

Well, there was a reason I put the question mark there. I was only referring to USN BB's, where is the Mikasa berthed? I didn't know LA had the Iowa, which is sweet because I make it out there every once in a while and will probably never get to Hawaii for the Missouri. Which is the MO... not the Montana, which was either sold for scrap (BB51) or paper only (BB67). So what MO were you talking about? I also didn't know about the North Carolina.

Midway probably? It's in San Diego.

Mikasa is in Yokosuka.

Aurora is also a museum ship, and two of Gremyashchy's sister ships are in China.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gort posted:

Is the Murmansk as bullshit as it seemed to be when I last fought it? It was faster, much longer ranged than me, and as my battleship tried to close on it to get in range, it sent off a big ol' spread of torpedoes.

It's an Omaha but better.

The Omaha is already loving amazing.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Gort posted:

Right now with my Murmansk captain getting his tier 4 skill I have the range of a Japanese BB when I use my scout plane, and a range of a measly 17km or so without it. Raining death from across the map in a cruiser will never get old.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DurosKlav posted:

Right now with my Murmansk captain getting his tier 4 skill I have the range of a Japanese BB when I use my scout plane, and a range of a measly 17km or so without it. Raining death from across the map in a cruiser will never get old.

Wait, the Murmansk has a Scout instead of a Catapult Fighter?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

DiHK posted:

I didn't realize Atlanta's were so fragile, the two times I've met one I've been pretty beaten up and got blooped before I could do more the get my guns training on them. And that's in Omaha's so yeah, bloop city man.

Night10194 posted:

Yep.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Yes, iirc it gives you a +20% artillery range bonus, might not be that much though. It's also easily shot down too if any fighters get near it or it gets near a ship with AA.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

DiHK posted:

So what MO were you talking about?

USS Missouri, Mighty Mo
For some reason I keep getting Missouri and Montana wrong. Explains my confusion about the TIX and TX BBs. I'll edit the post.

VietCampo posted:

Yes, iirc it gives you a +20% artillery range bonus, might not be that much though. It's also easily shot down too if any fighters get near it or it gets near a ship with AA.

Yep, 20%. I think they go down pretty easily if anything with a tail gun gets near them, too.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Really I'd rather have a catapult fighter, the scout can be useful but it doesn't last long and advanced firing training gives the 20% range increase anyway. 20% extra range for 100 seconds isn't that important.

edit:

Moatman posted:

USS Missouri, Mighty Mo
For some reason I keep getting Missouri and Montana wrong. Explains my confusion about the TIX and TX BBs. I'll edit the post.

It was (mostly) right anyway since Midway is a museum. I think it's five ships named in game: Mikasa, North Carolina, Iowa, Midway and Aurora.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 1, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

VietCampo posted:

The spotter is great for dumb low tier carriers that like to sit in one place. Murmansk with an AFT captain and the spotter plane has 21km range.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

grrarg posted:

The spotter is great for dumb low tier carriers that like to sit in one place. Murmansk with an AFT captain and the spotter plane has 21km range.

Yea, it's real helpful for when you don't have have advanced fire training unlocked yet which could take a few dozen games, i can't even remember how many CV's that were 15+ KM's away and i just straight destroyed them at range, and also very helpful for when you get those ocean map games and can range with the best of them.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Just as an fyi for the Murmansk's scout plane... I've had it engage bombers before. I don't know why, but it has. May be a bug, but the bastard can panic a TB squad and slow them down for your fairly robust close range AA to shred.

The patch notes have dropped.
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/update-041-notes-downtime/

It apparently comes tomorrow. Also, something easily overlooked...

quote:

Kitakami: added the Engine Boost consumable
PLEASE BRING BACK THE KITAKAMI WG

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Domination as the only mode in ranked battles is great. Twenty minute draws are the worst.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

grrarg posted:

I can never loving figure out how to lead properly with the scout view.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is it just me, or is everything on the Furutaka made of rice paper? I can't have a shell land within a kilometer of me without losing 2 guns and a set of torp tubes.

This ship is the freaking worst. I'd rather have to drive the Myogi for 60k worth of XP than have to deal with the Furutaka.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Devorum posted:

Is it just me, or is everything on the Furutaka made of rice paper? I can't have a shell land within a kilometer of me without losing 2 guns and a set of torp tubes.

This ship is the freaking worst. I'd rather have to drive the Myogi for 60k worth of XP than have to deal with the Furutaka.

Don't forget your engine/steering. And better, if your rudder locks properly, you actually can't turn the turret to face the enemy and fire because your turn rate outstrips your rotation.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Furutaka is getting many buffs with the patch, tomorrow? So it should be much more enjoyable. The Ibuki, tier 9 IJN cruisers, is a stinker too apparently (Myoko at tier 9, effectively) and is receiving no love.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Finally got my last A, now I just need an E and my set is complete.

I also have 165k free xp waiting for when I finish the New Mexico (just need 18k xp). Feels quite liberating to know that I can skip from Tier 6 BB to Tier 8 and save myself 6 million silver + upgrades.

**EDIT**

Wouldn't you know it? My very next map I sink another ship starting with an A - first it was I couldn't find a single loving one of them, let alone get the kill, and now I'm swimming in them.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

This all sounds pretty drat great. \:shobon:/

The Myoko is getting a RoF buff, not a nerf.