Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
also like seriously, ie 6 was a straight up good browser when it was made and for a couple years after, because it was the most standards compliant, fastest, etc

the problem was just that it stayed a thing for so long that a bunch of idiots started to make things that specifically required it. if ie 7 had come out in like 2003/2004 when originally intended instead of 2006, no one would have had time to hate ie 6, just like no one ever hated ie 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Beeftweeter posted:

they are, but they're wrong. serifs generally help you identify letters better at long distances/small sizes, but most people think san-serif typefaces look better

they look less crowded, which is important on your small screen. btw, this is Google announcing their "mobile first" pivot.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cremnob posted:

if they repeat it enough the braindead zombies that work for them will believe they work for an innovative company when really they work at the new microsoft, where tech ppl go to retire

I want to retire, should I join google [y/n]?
my commute would be spectacular.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Management posted:

they look less crowded, which is important on your small screen. btw, this is Google announcing their "mobile first" pivot.

you're talking about a logo that literally looks like it says GoooJle

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

also like seriously, ie 6 was a straight up good browser when it was made and for a couple years after, because it was the most standards compliant, fastest, etc

the problem was just that it stayed a thing for so long that a bunch of idiots started to make things that specifically required it.

hence: chrome is the new ie 6: it's good enough, but google lets it stagnate in between bouts of making it actively worse, and a bunch of idiots make chrome-only web pages

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Beeftweeter posted:

they are, but they're wrong. serifs generally help you identify letters better at long distances/small sizes, but most people think san-serif typefaces look better

its a familiarity thing

people like sans serifs because theyre everywhere around them on advertisements and websites

books are serifs because book readers expect serifs

usability surveys on fonts are mostly popularity contests

the easiest letterforms to recognize are the ones you read most often

people like quartz or cleartype more or less than the other because theyre more familiar with one of the two

Cocoa Crispies posted:

hence: chrome is the new ie 6: it's good enough, but google lets it stagnate in between bouts of making it actively worse, and a bunch of idiots make chrome-only web pages

chrome-only pages are because chrome and firefox are "evergreen" with new versions monthly, giving them an ability to adopt working web standards, while safari updates yearly

half of the web runs chrome, and 90% havent disabled automatic updates so theyre on the latest version

thats why "webkit, moz, o, ms" vendor prefixes are a thing

but yeah sites should work in all browsers going back to ie8 imo

maybe not look right but work in ie8

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cocoa Crispies posted:

google's adhd is so bad that they can't let anything be alone long enough for it to stagnate.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Triglav posted:

thats why "webkit, moz, o, ms" vendor prefixes are a thing

they aren't a thing anymore, i don't think, because idiot web "developers" relied on them

now those features are behind browser settings/flags, i think.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

the problem was just that it stayed a thing for so long that a bunch of idiots started to make things that specifically required it. if ie 7 had come out in like 2003/2004 when originally intended instead of 2006, no one would have had time to hate ie 6, just like no one ever hated ie 5

seriously false, ie6 was when they decided to implement the css box model wrong [because they were butthurt about losing an argument on the css working group mailing list] and it torpedoed early efforts at modern layouts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheany posted:

google's adhd is so bad that they can't let anything be alone long enough for it to stagnate.

lol what? they let things stagnate all the time before shutting them down

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
IE6 Did Nothing Wrong

(the ie6 box model made more intuitive sense)

also Spolsky pretty much nailed why IE6 stagnated for so long: MS figured out that everybody was switching to web apps in droves, so since they controlled the program everybody used to access web apps they went "aaah poo poo abort abort cease all development immediately"

well, ok, either that or the more likely explanation that IE7 development was happening exclusively for Longhorn/Vista and that was stuck in development hell and ended up being completely scrapped and restarted

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

(the ie6 box model made more intuitive sense)

I actually don't entirely disagree but the point is the standard is the other way and out of spite they did it the way they wanted and never fixed it

e: the correct solution would have been to have a flag that specified if the given size was for everything including padding or just the element itself, the MS way made stuff like putting space between 2 paragraphs way worse since they were more focused on whole page layout than the opera spergs who did a lot of the rest of it

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 1, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

seriously false, ie6 was when they decided to implement the css box model wrong [because they were butthurt about losing an argument on the css working group mailing list] and it torpedoed early efforts at modern layouts

show me a late 2001 web browser used by the public that implemented web standards in total better than ie 6

netscape 4 of course couldn't come close

contemporary opera steadfastly refused

early mozilla builds weren't implemented enough to be implemented right

the various linux only browsers were all hosed up

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Wheany posted:

they aren't a thing anymore, i don't think, because idiot web "developers" relied on them

now those features are behind browser settings/flags, i think.

well if they were intelligent they would have done eg in css

-webkit-thing: does this;
-moz-thing: does this;
-o-thing: does this;
-ms-thing: does this;
thing: does this;

so before standard finalization browsers use the lovely vendor implementations they recognize, -webkit- for safari and chrome and current versions of opera, and when the standard gets implemented in a later browser the final one takes over with no added work needed

and those pages would still work on older browsers going back a few years because of those vendor prefixes

but if someone just uses -webkit-thing: does this; thats dumb and theyre dumb because the site only works as intended in 60% of browsers

and if someone makes a site that absolutely requires some vendor prefix poo poo then theyre dumb too

you cant use webrtc at the moment because safari and internet explorer dont have it. when safari and internet explorer add webrtc you wont be able to use it because older versions wont have it

turns out the web is just words on a page and when you get much further than that you start punching yourself in the dick

qirex posted:

I actually don't entirely disagree but the point is the standard is the other way and out of spite they did it the way they wanted and never fixed it

e: the correct solution would have been to have a flag that specified if the given size was for everything including padding or just the element itself, the MS way made stuff like putting space between 2 paragraphs way worse since they were more focused on whole page layout than the opera spergs who did a lot of the rest of it

an issue only arises if your design needs pixel perfect accuracy with margins and padding. if so, use box-sizing: border-box;

since the days of netscape there's been a struggle on the web of who gets to define how things look: the site, the browser, the user. my advice is dont play that game. just make poo poo work everywhere on everything, looking nice on what can look nice. thats why html, css, and js are all separate

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

I want to retire, should I join google [y/n]?
my commute would be spectacular.

Only if you stay the gently caress out of the mountain view office

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Triglav posted:

well if they were intelligent they would have done eg in css
you do realize you're talking about web "developers"?

because they just went lol i'm just going to use -webkit-, because gently caress you

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

Do you need glasses?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Beeftweeter posted:

I'm not defending it. it is objectively bad

Progressive JPEG posted:

Only if you stay the gently caress out of the mountain view office

but I live in mountain view so it seems like a good choice. what's wrong with that office?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
all of this gooojle nonsense reminds me of one thing.

silnkist

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
of the HTML/CSS/JS trifecta i'd say CSS is probably the worst

"oh you want to center an object vertically? well, you see, *FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*"

so of course Gtk3 makes heavy use of CSS (not HTML, just CSS) for UI customization rofl

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Triglav posted:

an issue only arises if your design needs pixel perfect accuracy with margins and padding. if so, use box-sizing: border-box;

or if your design looks like poo poo with the wrong amoutn of spacing between elements (i.e. every design)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

of the HTML/CSS/JS trifecta i'd say CSS is probably the worst

"oh you want to center an object vertically? well, you see, *FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*"

so of course Gtk3 makes heavy use of CSS (not HTML, just CSS) for UI customization rofl

css is simple. if you know the size of the thing you wanna vertically center, it's super easy. if it's variable, use css3 or js, yeah, but make sure it looks tenable with js off in a pre-css3 browser

the only thing i dislike about js is that people use it for html and css

Cocoa Crispies posted:

or if your design looks like poo poo with the wrong amoutn of spacing between elements (i.e. every design)

luckily browsers all have different, unique defaults for everything from margins, padding, line height, and in the case of chrome, text rendering

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

the sad part is the lower-case g still has a serif

sans-serif, meet uni-serif

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

that's not a serif bro

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

hairline the worst

gently caress you didot

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

but I live in mountain view so it seems like a good choice. what's wrong with that office?
If you live in Mountain View it's pretty easy to get to Google, especially if you work for them and can use their busses.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

how you doin

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i just wrapped up a 6-hour video call that has drained me of most of my will to live.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

If you live in Mountain View it's pretty easy to get to Google, especially if you work for them and can use their busses.

you don't say

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

might be hard commuting to microsoft tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Triglav posted:

but if someone just uses -webkit-thing: does this; thats dumb and theyre dumb because the site only works as intended in 60% of browsers
guess which way they're used!!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Triglav posted:

might be hard commuting to microsoft tho

they have buses at the train station

nasa does too and just uses old school buses painted shuttle white

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

you may notice sets of portapotties sitting on trailers in front of many of the buildings, as though there was preparation for upcoming construction. nope! those are for regular employees, and are a workaround for those pesky workplace sanitation laws dictating the minimum amount of bathroom facilities per employee, which are stifling innovation. if you cant find a stall on any floor in your building then youre supposed to go out and use one of the portapotties.

the shared cubes are long gone most places. hope you like 4' desks arranged into factory rows close enough that you regularly bang into your neighbors when trying to leave your own desk. plan on expensing some headphones because you arent gonna have any noise insulation either

but dont worry you could also just go to one of the sunnyvale offices instead

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Progressive JPEG posted:

reminder

For at least two months, Google employees were exposed to excessive levels of a hazardous chemical after workers disabled a critical part of the ventilation system at the company’s new satellite campus on a Superfund toxic waste site, records show.

“While EPA cannot verify how many employees were in the Google buildings in question, we encourage women who are concerned about potential exposure to contaminants at the site to speak with their obstetrician or pediatrician,” agency spokesman David Yogi said in an email.

More than 1,000 employees work in the two buildings where elevated levels of TCE were found. Google confirmed that employees were exposed to the hazardous chemical but would not say how many.

Google spokeswoman Katelin Todhunter-Gerberg said employees in the two buildings had access to information on the company’s intranet, but she declined to say whether they were warned of any health risk. She said employees were never in danger.

“We take several proactive measures to ensure the healthiest indoor air environment possible in our workplace,” she said by email.

Since 2011, the EPA also has required that new buildings at the Mountain View Superfund site have subslab ventilation systems and vapor barriers to prevent TCE from accumulating indoors.

But since the Google campus was renovated, not newly built, the company relies on a “positive pressure” ventilation system to pump fresh air into the building and keep toxic vapors from collecting.

Jan. 14, the team finally inspected the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system (often referred to as HVAC) and found it had been switched to manual, which prevented the positive pressure system from running continuously.

The move was motivated by a desire to keep the buildings warm as the weather turned colder in the fall, the report shows.

The HVAC systems were operating in a manual mode (i.e. automatic system was overridden) in order to maintain the temperature in the buildings,” the Geosyntec report concluded.

The system was reset to automatic on Jan. 19. Three days later, tests showed that TCE vapors in the offices had been reduced to acceptable levels.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

you may notice sets of portapotties sitting on trailers in front of many of the buildings, as though there was preparation for upcoming construction. nope! those are for regular employees, and are a workaround for those pesky workplace sanitation laws dictating the minimum amount of bathroom facilities per employee, which are stifling innovation. if you cant find a stall on any floor in your building then youre supposed to go out and use one of the portapotties.

the shared cubes are long gone most places. hope you like 4' desks arranged into factory rows close enough that you regularly bang into your neighbors when trying to leave your own desk. plan on expensing some headphones because you arent gonna have any noise insulation either

welp,

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but the san bruno office or any of the non-bayarea offices are aight

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

how you doin
feelin' schooled.

i'm okay with not being a typeface nerd.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

"Google is not like other companies" but yes they do steal copyrighted data to boost their products

http://thenextweb.com/google/2015/09/03/googles-waze-is-in-trouble-legal-action-incoming-over-fake-poi-allegations/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

"Google is not like other companies" but yes they do steal copyrighted data to boost their products

http://thenextweb.com/google/2015/09/03/googles-waze-is-in-trouble-legal-action-incoming-over-fake-poi-allegations/

pretty cool they got caught by a trick that's like 1000 years old

• Locked thread