Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I generally like SFDebris, but there's two things that he did/does (one specific one, one he's done a few times) that can really annoy me:

- When he did a review of the Voyager episode Blink Of An Eye (the one where they are orbiting a planet that is rotating super-fast and thus progressing through time quickly), he prefaces the review that he doesn't compare episodes to anything else, but to other episodes in the series. He proceeds to compare the episode to some hard sci-fi book from 1980, even going so far as to say the folks writing it plagarized the content. I was specifically sensitive to this at the time, because I was watching his review on the heels of reading David Gerrold's book on the making of The Trouble With Tribbles. That book had a chunk of words spent on how writers can often invent similar stories without realizing it, and that nothing gets on-air without a lawyer or six making sure that things aren't too close.
- Sometimes, he dedicates an entire pre-movie/episode review to something someone said, which lasts for a good 20-30 minutes. While I'm sure he intends these as intelligent rebuttals or discussions on what has been said, it never ceases coming across to me as Chuck being super defensive about what someone said about his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Chimera-gui posted:

SF Debris has posted the first video of his history of Transformers series in which he talks abot the history of G.I. Joe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmozIug6tlM

Please tell me that was intentional.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

MisterBibs posted:

- Sometimes, he dedicates an entire pre-movie/episode review to something someone said, which lasts for a good 20-30 minutes. While I'm sure he intends these as intelligent rebuttals or discussions on what has been said, it never ceases coming across to me as Chuck being super defensive about what someone said about his work.

I...honestly can not remember this happening. I mean, I think I remember a few rebuttals, but never near that long.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

- When he did a review of the Voyager episode Blink Of An Eye (the one where they are orbiting a planet that is rotating super-fast and thus progressing through time quickly), he prefaces the review that he doesn't compare episodes to anything else, but to other episodes in the series. He proceeds to compare the episode to some hard sci-fi book from 1980, even going so far as to say the folks writing it plagarized the content.

Having read the book in question ("Dragon's Egg" by Robert L. Forward), yeeeeeah, that Voyager episode is pretty much a ripoff.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I've given up on Spoony.

I've just deleted my pledge on Patreon and I can't believe I supported him for over a year. He was making rewards like CAH streams that only happen 2 or 3 times a year, he promised a DVD of most of his reviews (in an .ISO file) even though he could've been sued for copyright infringement (unless some of his movies were in the public domain), and all he does nowadays are wrestling and Counter Monkey videos...and he barely makes them all year round.

I don't think I can ever forgive Noah for scamming me like a complete arsehole.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cool

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Junior Jr. posted:

I've given up on Spoony.
Yeah
Yeah...

Junior Jr. posted:

scamming me like a complete arsehole.
Personally, I think you got what you paid for; the current Spooney experience.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
You are the subject of the Spoony Experiment, an experiment run by a madman attempting to determine the impossible: how to get the most Patreon money for the least effort.

Really, other than apparently not meeting his tier rewards, it wouldn't be hard to fix Spoony's business model into something that doesn't piss people off:

Make separate Patreons for all of his series. A Wrestle Wrestle Patreon, a Counter Monkey Patreon, a Filmed Review with Dumb Spoony Plot Patreon. Make the payments per video rather than monthly (and you can cap per video rates per month, so you won't go broke when Spoony releases one vlog in 12 parts).

Granted right now Spoony is basically using the same business model as a cable TV provider.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Man remember years and years ago when Noah did Swat 4? How do we get that guy back? Of course we did get the channel awesome meltdown. But that was free!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I think Lupa did him a favour for kicking him out of CA. Now that he and that site both turned into poo poo years later.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Junior Jr. posted:

I think Lupa did him a favour for kicking him out of CA. Now that he and that site both turned into poo poo years later.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH jesus man, at least get your story right.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Speaking of Lupa, her new Movie Nights is up. It's a very 90s movie called Twin Sitters and...You're not ready. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxMq9OHLTsw

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 1, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jay O posted:

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH jesus man, at least get your story right.

Um, obviously Lupa had complete executive and creative control over TGWTG. That whole thing she posted about Rob, Doug, and Mike was her trying to discredit a glorious proletariat revolution against her elitist and tyrannical rule. 9/11 was also her fault. Probably.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of Lupa, her new Movie Nights is up. It's a very 90s movie called Twin Sitters and...You're not ready. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxMq9OHLTsw
I watched this last night and I now know why The Flop House loved this and riffed it at the 92nd Street Y a couple years ago. I need to track this down and trick some friends into watching it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Junior Jr. posted:

That's not quite how I remember it.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I say Lupa because she was the one to make Spoony get pissed, thus setting off the chain reaction on Twitter, and eventually CA both suspending and banning him from the site. Also to add insult to injury, she detailed why Spoony's joke was tasteless and proved he was a raging sensitive dickhead.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know I made a joke and everything so I can't talk either, but you all know this thread is going to go off the rails into terrible GBS insanity if we rehash Spoonygate, right?

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 2, 2015

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

ZeeBoi posted:

Noah is apologetic about his lack of videos and is actually getting a day job, and offering a refund on Patreon donations.

Oh, you thought I was talking about Spoony? :newlol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbO-UvehEco

Man, this makes me want to give Noah Caldwell-Gervais my money. He's really a great person. Even if I don't agree with some of his videos, they are still really interesting and fun to watch. I hope everything works out for him.

DeusExMachinima posted:

That's not quite how I remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgAFcvIw8J4

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Jsor posted:

I know I made a joke and everything so I can't talk either, but you all know this thread is going to go off the rails into terrible GBS insanity if we rehash Spoonygate, right?

It's okay. I just wanted to get Spoony's bullshit off my chest for good, now I never have to show sympathy for him again because he'll always be dense from now on. Now I can shut my mouth again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
*Sigh*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-24Yj-CVspM

Beating a dead horse.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jsor posted:

Is there anyone left defending Spoony at this point, though?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Here's a list.

Ok I'm done.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trailers used to be so long.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If you hadn't noticed yet, Junior Jr. is a shithead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Some old trailers are like five mintue long and tell the entire movie. Other are loving brilliant.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Who says new trailers can't be long? I'm partial to this one myself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q72LWqCx3pc

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really dislike Spoony now/lately, but if my memory serves me he's the first Internet Critic I discovered. I was looking up the Dragonstrike tape and found his review of it.

poparena posted:

Having read the book in question ("Dragon's Egg" by Robert L. Forward), yeeeeeah, that Voyager episode is pretty much a ripoff.

I read it too, and both hit pretty much every beat you can with "what happens if the planet underneath has a year every minute up here". Plus, the Voyager episode had The Doctor turning into a Chicago-style sports meatball for a minute, so it wins out.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 2, 2015

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Yeah, there's a few on his forum which will come rushing to his defence.

But he's gone from 5k to just around 3700 on his patreon

still way too much money per month

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Someone talking about their dissatisfaction about an internet critic inside the internet critic discussion thread? The gently caress is this poo poo, next you'll be telling me the parts picking thread in SC/HC will discuss computer parts.

ZeeBoi posted:

Whats funny is going back to watch some of Spoony's old videos and watching his ask spoony ones, where he specifically says he doesn't want money cause it causes expectations of his work. Now he directly asks for money and doesn't follow up on the expectations of his work!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Jsor posted:

Um, obviously Lupa had complete executive and creative control over TGWTG. That whole thing she posted about Rob, Doug, and Mike was her trying to discredit a glorious proletariat revolution against her elitist and tyrannical rule. 9/11 was also her fault. Probably.

WEREWOLVES CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS!!!!!111!!!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Anywho despite risking a derail, when I asked for a recommendation on people who review and/or crack jokes at CSI:SVU, I couldn't find one. Could you guys please direct me to the nearest person who does and is good at it?

Annointed fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 2, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leal posted:

Whats funny is going back to watch some of Spoony's old videos and watching his ask spoony ones, where he specifically says he doesn't want money cause it causes expectations of his work. Now he directly asks for money and doesn't follow up on the expectations of his work!
I'm beginning to think that the original was abducted by aliens and replaced with an inferior clone around 2012 or so.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

If we're all done our bi-weekly Spoony runaround, I just put up my review of The Ellimist Chronicles, the Animorphs tie-in book where we learn that God is just a crappy gamer who fell into a black hole. (Part One, Part Two, Part Three)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Annointed posted:

Anywho despite risking a derail, when I asked for a recommendation on people who review and/or crack jokes at CSI:SVU, I couldn't find one. Could you guys please direct me to the nearest person who does and is good at it?

There was a funny review from someone who it was their first SVU episode. Low-fi film, British-sounding guy. But I have no idea who. I'll see if I can pull up my browser history at work.

FYI: I tried to just search YouTube for you. My first two hits were an overweight neckbeard doing a thinkpiece on the episode-- and a LordKat video that was two loving hours long. I'm guessing you want neither of those.

edit: clarification: I was referring to HashTagThatEpisodeYesThatOne

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

lornekates posted:

WEREWOLVES CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS!!!!!111!!!

Actually, there are multiple Gifts the will enable a Werewolf to do it:
- The Rank 3 Homid Gift Reshape Object
- The Rank 5 Metis Gift Totem Gift
- The Rank 5 Black Fury Gift Wyld Warp
- The Rank 3 Glass Walker Gift Elemental Favor
- The Rank 4 Uktena Gift Call Elemental
- Convincing an appropriate spirit to do it (or force it using the Command Spirit gift)
- Crafting a fetish to do it
And that's without going into the supplements, as well as ignoring all the different ways Werewolf can just destroy steel beams without needing to melt them. :colbert:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

i'll craft a fetish to melt your steel beams if you know what i mewait poo poo no

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ZeeBoi posted:

I meant in this thread.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

And that's without going into the supplements, as well as ignoring all the different ways Werewolf can just destroy steel beams without needing to melt them. :colbert:

I stand properly corrected. I will help crowdfund your documentary "Loose Lycanthropic Change"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Some old trailers are like five mintue long and tell the entire movie. Other are loving brilliant.

But Tuco was the Ugly and Angel Eyes was the Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

But Tuco was the Ugly and Angel Eyes was the Bad.

It makes more sense in the original italian, I think. Il Bueno, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo. So then Tuco would be a Brute and Angel Eyes would be the Bad Guy.

Edit: I don't actually know italian, but it's sort-of related to french, so I'm just guessing here. I could just look it up, but I won't.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 2, 2015

• Locked thread