Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i couldnt play the nostromo dlc after i beat the game, it was the worst part of the game (med bay) but the entire time instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Len posted:

I don't know when I'll get a chance to play Until Dawn myself but Harshly Critical started a LP so there's that at least.

If you're fine with them blabbing over a bunch of it, Best Friends did as well and it's pretty great so far to hear their genuine startled moments. Matt's reaction to (Super early silly scare) well, Matt popping up in front of the binoculars was fantastic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

If you're fine with them blabbing over a bunch of it, Best Friends did as well and it's pretty great so far to hear their genuine startled moments. Matt's reaction to (Super early silly scare) well, Matt popping up in front of the binoculars was fantastic.

One major criticism I have of Until Dawn is that it emulates modern horror movies too well, overemphasizing jump scares and even including tons of fakeouts in the beginning of the game just to gently caress with you. I'm pretty immune to all but the most extreme jump scares (even ones done on me in person barely get a reaction), so it just ends up being an annoyance. I've also consumed enough horror and walked through enough haunted attractions around the country to be able to tell when a jump scare is coming, so stuff like the binoculars stuff was predictable.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 23, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Relin posted:

i couldnt play the nostromo dlc after i beat the game, it was the worst part of the game (med bay) but the entire time instead

I find medical to be the best part of the game. It's the purest expression of hide and seek with the Alien.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Anyone looking forward to Stasis being released on steam later today? It's a point and click isometric adventure, and early impressions are extremely positive. Not sure how effective horror can be with an isometric viewpoint, but it sounds right up my street.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

chitoryu12 posted:

One major criticism I have of Until Dawn is that it emulates modern horror movies too well, overemphasizing jump scares and even including tons of fakeouts in the beginning of the game just to gently caress with you. I'm pretty immune to all but the most extreme jump scares (even ones done on me in person barely get a reaction), so it just ends up being an annoyance. I've also consumed enough horror and walked through enough haunted attractions around the country to be able to tell when a jump scare is coming, so stuff like [spoilers]the binoculars stuff[/spoiler] was predictable.

Speaking of the binoculars, the (minor jumpscare spoiler) jumpscare through those as Mike is probably the only jumpscare in the game that just feels really fake and dumb? Like it just throws a spooky thing in your face and the character doesn't react at all. It reminded me of one of those awful Newgrounds games at the time but I completely forgot about it until just now. They do a similar one later (minor spoiler) with Chris and Ashley during their Spooky Ghost Adventure where it just throws a face on the screen, but at least the characters acknowledge that they saw something.

e: I just realized that the bear trap with the human arm waving on it is The Stranger setting a trap for Wendigo, that's pretty neat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A.o.D. posted:

I find medical to be the best part of the game. It's the purest expression of hide and seek with the Alien.

It seems like medical is always the worst place to be during a horror story, no matter the media.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlackFrost posted:

Speaking of the binoculars, the (minor jumpscare spoiler) jumpscare through those as Mike is probably the only jumpscare in the game that just feels really fake and dumb? Like it just throws a spooky thing in your face and the character doesn't react at all. It reminded me of one of those awful Newgrounds games at the time but I completely forgot about it until just now. They do a similar one later (minor spoiler) with Chris and Ashley during their Spooky Ghost Adventure where it just throws a face on the screen, but at least the characters acknowledge that they saw something.

I had the same thing happen and it went away so fast that I didn't even see what it was. It feels like it was actually a glitch, like the game accidentally played the "Pull away from binoculars and walk off" scene instead of the "React to scare" scene.

quote:

e: I just realized that the bear trap with the human arm waving on it is The Stranger setting a trap for Wendigo, that's pretty neat.

I think the clue menu in the game updates to reflect that. That reminds me, one thing I really like about Until Dawn is that not only do you have a menu that consolidates all of the clues you find (and even lists what they mean in plain English in case you're having trouble figuring out the connection), they update when new information is acquired to help connect the dots. Like after the big mid-game reveal, a bunch of the Mystery Man clues update to reflect how they were stuff planted by Josh for his prank.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So are you required to get the totems in Until Dawn to stop deaths? Chapter 6 spoiler: Matt never gets the option to take out the flare gun when hes getting dragged away but I looked up a youtube vid and when hes getting dragged he gets a little flash back of getting handed the gun and uses it to save himself. I never found the guidance totem that shows that...Is that seriously what determines whether he remembers if he has it or not despite the fact that no one ever acknowledges the totem visions in the game at all?

I also really wish episode select allowed for jumping between choices because having to re-do entire chapters to change things is really tedious.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 31, 2015

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So are you required to get the totems in Until Dawn to stop deaths? Chapter 6 spoiler: Matt never gets the option to take out the flare gun when hes getting dragged away but I looked up a youtube vid and when hes getting dragged he gets a little flash back of getting handed the gun and uses it to save himself. I never found the guidance totem that shows that...Is that seriously what determines whether he remembers if he has it or not despite the fact that no one ever acknowledges the totem visions in the game at all?

those flashbacks happen only if the choices that makes the scenario possible has happened. for example, you only see the flare gun vision as matt if he's been given the flare gun and hasn't used it already. if emily keeps it, or if matt fires it off at the tower immediately, the option won't be there and neither will the vision. totems don't affect this, they only give you advice ahead of time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The totems are entirely a gameplay mechanic and are never referenced in-game at all. They're cheap foreshadowing and I'm guessing are meant to quietly influence you towards certain decisions, although the often-enormous gap between when you can find the totem and when the totem's vision comes to pass makes that a little weird. Everything that happens in the game is determined by your choices and nothing else, to the point where sometimes the totems' visions will shift based upon that.

With regard to that spoiler, as Matt, you have to disagree with Emily's suggestion of heading to the fire tower, then give him the flare gun as Emily. If he doesn't think her plan will work, he won't immediately burn the flare gun on signaling for rescue. Alternatively, if you sign Emily off right away when the tower collapses and jump for it without trying to help her, I'm told Matt never gets jumped at all and thus doesn't need the flare gun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, ok thanks. I actually jumped onto the other platform my first run, but sicne you don't play as Matt until the very end if you do that I assumed you missed out on important scenes that way.

That makes alot of sense though, I guess I'll just need to start from chapter 1 and just follow a guide.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The totems are entirely optional collectibles that just give hints at future timelines. Death totems obviously show a potential death for the character who picks them up and Loss totems show the potential death of another character, but the others all just show potential paths that may occur depending on your actions. Some are hints (like one Fortune totem shows Mike unable to bring up the nerve to shoot someone, which hints that you may not want to shoot Emily when he's pointing a gun at her), but even then you may never see the scene that the hint is relevant to.

In that particular scene, Matt fired the flare gun for help but I had him jump to the platform because Emily wouldn't stop insulting him and I got so fed up that I legitimately wanted to leave her to die.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 31, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It seems like medical is always the worst place to be during a horror story, no matter the media.

Shopping malls seem to give them a run for the money. That's true on the Von Braun, at least.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Shopping malls seem to give them a run for the money. That's true on the Von Braun, at least.

I know right? My god, those vending machine prices :stare:

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

Best friends got me to play the game, even if I'm a huge coward and I'm really enjoying it, looking forward to Pat trying to guess the twist and Matt being scared by all the jumpscares.

The jumpscares don't really bother me that much since they're usually not "SUPER LOUD THING ON THE SCREEN" and actually work well with the atmosphere.
other than that gently caress Emily.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

other than that gently caress Emily.

This might be the one thing the thread can agree on.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

This might be the one thing the thread can agree on.

She really didn't have anything in the game to redeem her from all the really awful poo poo she did
maybe the game had cut content we missed but she's really awful, everyone else makes a case for being an ok person.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Emily is actually fun as a character and i was hoping she would be more unrepentantly bitchy. her dialogue with Matt when they are at the collapsed radio tower calling him an idiot is just perfect to make the player hate her

it's obvious the actress had a lot of fun playing her, especially with the slut/whore fight scene and her responding to a life-threatening message with a disgusted "unfollow". she's loving great (in comparison with good girl Sam who has very little plot significance, in consideration that Hayden P's supposed to be the headliner)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So do you have $2 and a spare two hours, then please do give a try to Stray Cat Crossing. It's a wonderfully surreal RPG maker game with a great art style and a nice story; not entirely straight horror but still had well worth the price of admission.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Niggurath posted:

So do you have $2 and a spare two hours, then please do give a try to Stray Cat Crossing. It's a wonderfully surreal RPG maker game with a great art style and a nice story; not entirely straight horror but still had well worth the price of admission.

Seconded. It's definitely an odd game, engaging all the way through.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just wanted to pop in and say that while not a horror game, the intro to Metal Gear Solid 5 has some pretty strong and rad horror trappings.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
You know Kojima really wants to make a horror game. The trailer they released right before the cancellation of Silent Hills made me so hype :(

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You know Kojima really wants to make a horror game. The trailer they released right before the cancellation of Silent Hills made me so hype :(

play layers of fear. basically the same thing

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ding ding ding says the panty machine

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I've put a few hours into Stasis and I think it's a pretty solid adventure game. I'd argue it's a horror game. I really love the atmosphere and sound design.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say that while not a horror game, the intro to Metal Gear Solid 5 has some pretty strong and rad horror trappings.

Do tell.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Intro spoilers: You wake up in the hospital during a spec ops attack, and you and some other guy have to sneak out while Snake is still rubbery and weak after being in a coma, while all the doctors and patients are murdered in front of you. Also, there's a horrible fiery apparition that keeps reappearing, that has very strange plot implications...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hey, what if the public fight between kojima and konami, combined with del torro saying he's never touching games again and pt being removed just a big orchestrated stunt to annouce silent hills in the future? Kojima is that much of an rear end in a top hat/genius right? Right....:negative:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hey, what if the public fight between kojima and konami, combined with del torro saying he's never touching games again and pt being removed just a big orchestrated stunt to annouce silent hills in the future? Kojima is that much of an rear end in a top hat/genius right? Right....:negative:

This is true in the world where Michael Jackson popped out of his coffin during his funeral procession to do an amazing rendition of Thriller in front of an initially shocked but then elated crowd of adoring fans and loved ones

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Intro spoilers: You wake up in the hospital during a spec ops attack, and you and some other guy have to sneak out while Snake is still rubbery and weak after being in a coma, while all the doctors and patients are murdered in front of you. Also, there's a horrible fiery apparition that keeps reappearing, that has very strange plot implications...

drat I gotta play this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm watching the first 2 hours of Phantom Pain before deciding to buy it. He's not lying.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The first MGSV trailer was pretty much set as spooky poo poo going on in hospital/asylum horror game.

https://youtu.be/jfxTOlXF3Kk

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 2, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scariest part so far is the camera in one cutscene zooming in to focus on Ishmael's hospital gown rear end for no discernible reason, complete with a musical sting.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I keep hoping the P.T. demo is buried as a game-within-a-game someplace in MGSV, or a solider that looks like Norman Reedus is a playable side-op recruitment, or even for that talking paper bag to show up. One of the gameplay demos did have "PT" and a spider as the Motherbase emblem, so at least anyone can add that to their game.

I know that's all silly to hope for, but despite what DelToro has said I think he and Kojima will work on something in the future. The last trailer to come out featured something Kojima had run by DelToro a couple years ago and hell if Big Boss doesn't look terrified to see it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

chitoryu12 posted:

Scariest part so far is the camera in one cutscene zooming in to focus on Ishmael's hospital gown rear end for no discernible reason, complete with a musical sting.

I think I discerned the reason pretty fast. :quagmire:

That entire opening in general is real as gently caress, like holy poo poo.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

The first MGSV trailer was pretty much set as spooky poo poo going on in hospital/asylum horror game.

https://youtu.be/jfxTOlXF3Kk

no joke, that was pretty visceral.

So I did see a whale, fire unicorn and poo poo though...please tell that is a hallucination and not some bullshit kojima metaphor bullshit. (I'll still play this regardless)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Professor of Cats posted:

no joke, that was pretty visceral.

So I did see a whale, fire unicorn and poo poo though...please tell that is a hallucination and not some bullshit kojima metaphor bullshit. (I'll still play this regardless)

poo poo if I know. But those things all show up in that intro. I cant wait to find out what's actually going on though because I bet it'll be some real :catdrugs:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rikimaru posted:

I've put a few hours into Stasis and I think it's a pretty solid adventure game. I'd argue it's a horror game. I really love the atmosphere and sound design.

It's definitely meant to be a horror game, the demo gave off a strong Sanitarium vibe. Definitely going on my wishlist. Why do so many good things have to come out at once :argh:

I'm a decent length into Fran Bow now, and I have to take back what I said earlier about the puzzles being tough. They're a good difficulty, there are a couple of moments of strange logic and I got stuck on an odd dates/numbers puzzle I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with, but for the most part everything moves along nicely so hopefully that didn't deter anyone from buying it. It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Rikimaru posted:

This looks fantastic. Any trip report for this? I need a game that I can just put in a couple hours a week or so.