Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Meh its their debate so they can do whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Goddammit Conservatives, it's getting to the point that a guy can't even make a joke anymore!

Stop strangling the Joke Economy :argh:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I have heard a lot of people try to explain away Fiorina's HP tenure as "not really that bad, honest!" and it's sad and hilarious. Especially since I worked at HP when she was in charge and literally everyone was like "NO WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!?" to all her decisions. I've never seen a company culture gutted so thoroughly.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Every time people talk up Fiorina based on her “executive experience“ I laugh inside and sometimes outside as well.

2 billion in red ink executive is a rare distinction among even the entitled upper crust.

Trump/Fiorina ultimate capitalism failure ticket. :boom:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Spite posted:

I have heard a lot of people try to explain away Fiorina's HP tenure as "not really that bad, honest!" and it's sad and hilarious. Especially since I worked at HP when she was in charge and literally everyone was like "NO WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!?" to all her decisions. I've never seen a company culture gutted so thoroughly.

A relative of mine also worked at HP during Fiorina's time and he visibly cringes every time her name comes up as a presidential hopeful.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:wtc:
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2015/09/01/school-district-investigating-mass-baptism-football-practice/71515306/

quote:

VILLA RICA, Ga. -- A Georgia school district is investigating after video of a mass baptism was posted on YouTube.

The video, posted by First Baptist Villa Rica, was shot on school grounds just before football practice. "We had the privilege of baptizing a bunch of football players and a coach on the field of Villa Rica High School! We did this right before practice! Take a look and see how God is STILL in our schools!" the caption with the video reads.

By Tuesday evening, the video had been removed from YouTube.

I... don't think you can do that.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DOOP posted:

Are Ex-Coms even still A Thing in 2015?

I thought that practice died out decades ago

I understand that several people have already answered your question, but excommunication is still a very big thing. Individuals who suffer excommunication, or are suspected of being excommuncated, are exiled from the Church. They cannot participate in public worship, receive sacraments, and priests are barred from exercising any act of religious authority in their presence.

In the modern era, specific excommunications (ferendae sententiae) are usually only applied to schismatics (priests who refuse to follow orders from their bishop, clergy who participate in the ordination of women, priests who advocate views in opposition to Church doctrine, etc.). However, individuals can end up excommunicating themselves by engaging in certain behaviors. This excommunication (latae sententiae) is what the Pope's announcement refers to.

OAquinas posted:

It would be utterly amazing and worth my vote if a candidate (for either party) got their poo poo together (or rather, had someone else get their poo poo together and hand them the bundle) and make a core plank a thorough overhaul of all government IT.

If nothing else, the utterly complete way it was splayed out for the China hack should provide all the impetus this needs. But of course, politician = technological idiot, without fail.

I am so glad that you mention the government's ongoing struggling with information technology, because it reminds me of the Washington Post's lovely article last year on the federal government's subterranean paperwork mine.

quote:

In BOYERS, Pa. — The trucks full of paperwork come every day, turning off a country road north of Pittsburgh and descending through a gateway into the earth. Underground, they stop at a metal door decorated with an American flag.

Behind the door, a room opens up as big as a supermarket, full of five-drawer file cabinets and people in business casual. About 230 feet below the surface, there is easy-listening music playing at somebody’s desk.

This is one of the weirdest workplaces in the U.S. government — both for where it is and for what it does.

Here, inside the caverns of an old Pennsylvania limestone mine, there are 600 employees of the Office of Personnel Management. Their task is nothing top-secret. It is to process the retirement papers of the government’s own workers.

But that system has a spectacular flaw. It still must be done entirely by hand, and almost entirely on paper.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

They just did, so it's possible. Probably hella illegal, but possible.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I hope that school has the worst season and the terrible teens from the other HS constantly shout how God has decided that they lose.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They just did, so it's possible. Probably hella illegal, but possible.

Unsurprisingly the comments are completely full of locals supporting the school's brave decision and they just can't even fathom how something as wonderful as this could possibly be against the law.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

I am so glad that you mention the government's ongoing struggling with information technology, because it reminds me of the Washington Post's lovely article last year on the federal government's subterranean paperwork mine.

Cheyenne Mountain got nothing on Office Mountain.

Motherfucking Villa Rica. I was there just over a month ago for a lawsuit that someone filed there against my company. I can attest firsthand that it's a very tiny town in rural Georgia about 45 minutes from Atlanta proper and intelligence is not on the menu. It's the only place I've been where Chick-Fil-A handed me a drink and all the ice was a single giant lump taking up most of the volume of the cup. Or a gas station in nearby Douglasville that almost shut down because a computer glitch prevented their registers from being used to calculate change and none of the cashiers or even the manager knew how to use a calculator to make change.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

chitoryu12 posted:

Motherfucking Villa Rica. I was there just over a month ago for a lawsuit that someone filed there against my company. I can attest firsthand that it's a very tiny town in rural Georgia about 45 minutes from Atlanta proper and intelligence is not on the menu. It's the only place I've been where Chick-Fil-A handed me a drink and all the ice was a single giant lump taking up most of the volume of the cup. Or a gas station in nearby Douglasville that almost shut down because a computer glitch prevented their registers from being used to calculate change and none of the cashiers or even the manager knew how to use a calculator to make change.

Every time I feel miserable about living in Florida and sharing a state with the Wesmintro Baptist Church, I think about the time I visited back country Georgia for a funeral. You've never seen a more abjectly miserable stretch of the country.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jon Stewart chose the wrong week to quit huffing news. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just one week until the House is back in session and then 12 legislative days until government funding expires. :dance:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

QuoProQuid posted:

Good to know the Adeptus Terra is off to a good start.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Just one week until the House is back in session and then 12 legislative days until government funding expires. :dance:

Goddamnit comcast you better have my loving cable fixed in time for me to mainline C-SPAN.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Goddamnit comcast you better have my loving cable fixed in time for me to mainline C-SPAN.

You can stream it online

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Guess who's back!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

McDowell posted:

You can stream it online

My internet is currently a comcast hotspot from a shopping center that's barely in range due to the aforementioned cable problem.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

yeah, villa rica is one of those places where there's usually a really significant reason why you don't at the very least move to atlanta when you hit 18

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Perfect:

quote:

While Mrs. Clinton’s campaign denied breaking any laws, Mr. O’Keefe and his lawyer, Benjamin Barr, acknowledged that Project Veritas did act illegally by facilitating such a donation but that the infraction on their part was so minor that it was akin to jaywalking.

Although campaign finance violations are a serious issue, Mr. O’Keefe’s presentation drew some snickers from the reporters that Project Veritas had convened for the event. He struggled to justify breaking laws and using fake names to find wrongdoing, and at one point Mr. O’Keefe was asked pointedly, “Is this a joke?”

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My internet is currently a comcast hotspot from a shopping center that's barely in range due to the aforementioned cable problem.

Ah, thought you were using mobile.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This guy could produce unedited, continuous, multi-tape security camera footage of Clinton brutally murdering Vince Foster and making it look like a suicide, and I still wouldn't believe him based on his past history.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeroisanumber posted:

No. The issue at play with Clinton's private server is whether or not she and her staff were knowingly sending classified material to an offsite, private server. What it looks like now is that some things were sent which were later classified (including someone's grocery list for whatever reason) but that no one knowingly mishandled classified data.

If the GOP could prove that Clinton was knowingly sending classified data, then she could be charged with a crime.

I think the more important question is, was Clinton ever aware that the information which she was handling was classified? If not, how can we trust her judgment as an administrator when she so flagrantly tolerated practices which go against the egalitarian nature of public service? It just seems like Clinton used her position in a manner that no-one else in public service ever has, and that's something which just reeks of unacknowledged priviledge and entitlement.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I've been telling ya, Clinton's organization reeks of a sense of entitlement that it is above the law, with the election all but guaranteed in a positive outcome.

It's Nixon in a blouse. Well, on camera, I mean.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Glenn Beck wants to personally march 400 Syrian refugee families across the U.S.-Mexico border where he will establish a "New Selma" for oppressed Christians. All it will take is your donation to my off-shore bank account.

quote:

Beck took the stage after a short intermission, delivering an emotionally charged, nearly ninety-minute oration. It can be difficult, at times, to follow the threads of Beck’s apocalyptic rhetoric, but certainly the sense of fear came through. “I have never felt evil this close,” he said. And, later, “We’re being tested, and evil is watching us.” Throughout the event, “evil” operated as shorthand for ISIS and Planned Parenthood, although Beck also took care to draw parallels with Nazi Germany, and to squeeze in the refrain “All lives matter” where he could. He delivered his remarks in front of a large screen that cycled through an ominous slide show—concentration-camp prisoners, an aborted fetus, ISIS militants, all engulfed in flames. And, this being Birmingham, of course, he invoked King’s legacy. “The movement to end discrimination in America was led by a man who was willing to stand alone,” he said. “He was a flawed guy, a really flawed guy…. How could he have been selected by the Lord to do something great? … My theory is because God ran out of righteous people. … He got down to the list and was like, ‘I’m down to Martin Luther King.’ Just like he says, about us, ‘Crap, I’m down to Glenn Beck and his listeners.’ ”

The fund-raising pitch came just after the four-hour mark. If Beck raises ten million dollars by Christmas, he says, he will rescue four hundred families—a number pulled from the “four hundred years of silence” that separate the Old Testament and the New—from ISIS, by bringing them to the United States, or, failing State Department approval, to Mexico, in which case he will personally march them across the border into the United States (“a new Selma”). This, finally, seemed to explain what the morning’s rally was really all about : practice for the next one.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Say what you will on Beck, he's the most prominant conservative advocate for refugee resettlement of deserving populations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah, villa rica is one of those places where there's usually a really significant reason why you don't at the very least move to atlanta when you hit 18

The only reason I was there is because the company I contract for started their sister company/affiliate in Villa Rica to appease the newly hired Executive Director, who lives there. Said woman has basically spent her entire life backstabbing and manipulating everyone and anyone she sees to do stuff like get illegal kickbacks from corporate jobs, making her the most intelligent person in all of Villa Rica, and she did the same to us while filling the seats with locals. The remaining employees could not find their own asses with a neon sign giving directions and work at a snail's pace for even the simplest tasks, and it's laughably easy to fool them. Thankfully we dumped the Executive Director and we're moving the company out of Georgia.

On Sunday she got thrown by a horse in Tennessee, and only by breaking her neck and vertebrae against a tree was she able to avoid a 100 foot drop down a cliff. I can't say I'm upset about anything except the tree being in the way.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I saw an interview that said "things later being classified is bull." Essentially, the argument was that "classified" is not something instantly applied or not applied to every piece of information the moment it is created/learned. That a Secretary of State has a responsibility to look at information and determine for herself whether or not it is important enough to be classified. The actual status at the time has no bearing for someone like a SoS.

So, if something could potentially become classified later, it should have been recognized by the SoS as essentially classified.

Anyway, I have a question that will make me either very sad or mildly relieved. Our country is hosed UP. In so many ways. Infrastructure, healthcare, campaign finance, justice system, etc. It seems every institution is majorly failing us. My question is: is this unique to the United States (among industrialized nations)? Or is every country more or less a complete loving mess in every way?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think the more important question is, was Clinton ever aware that the information which she was handling was classified? If not, how can we trust her judgment as an administrator when she so flagrantly tolerated practices which go against the egalitarian nature of public service? It just seems like Clinton used her position in a manner that no-one else in public service ever has, and that's something which just reeks of unacknowledged priviledge and entitlement.

Just leave your next post at "My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blue squares posted:

I saw an interview that said "things later being classified is bull." Essentially, the argument was that "classified" is not something instantly applied or not applied to every piece of information the moment it is created/learned. That a Secretary of State has a responsibility to look at information and determine for herself whether or not it is important enough to be classified. The actual status at the time has no bearing for someone like a SoS.

So, if something could potentially become classified later, it should have been recognized by the SoS as essentially classified.

Anyway, I have a question that will make me either very sad or mildly relieved. Our country is hosed UP. In so many ways. Infrastructure, healthcare, campaign finance, justice system, etc. It seems every institution is majorly failing us. My question is: is this unique to the United States (among industrialized nations)? Or is every country more or less a complete loving mess in every way?

How can you trust a cabinet member who does not even respect their responsibilities as a public servant to be aware of what information may or may not be classified?

Like her hair, it would appear Clinton views herself as beyond classification.

hobbesmaster posted:

Just leave your next post at "My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not"

"My heart and best intentions tell me that was not classified, but the facts and the evidence tell me that it was."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blue squares posted:

1) everyone always has the feeling that everything is going to hell and the world is collapsing as you shift out of the soft innocence of childhood into the frankly harsh reality of being an adult. this drives some people completely nuts and, being uncritical, they externalize it as everyone else's problem rather than their own

2) society is always collapsing but it's also always reforming itself and recovering from that collapse. each generation faces new, unprecedented problems that seem insurmountable but most of the time, we manage to deal with them, just in time to create totally new and totally scarier problems

pick whichever one works for you the most

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

"My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the recovered emails that I had sent tell me it's not."

Popular Thug Drink posted:

1) everyone always has the feeling that everything is going to hell and the world is collapsing as you shift out of the soft innocence of childhood into the frankly harsh reality of being an adult. this drives some people completely nuts and, being uncritical, they externalize it as everyone else's problem rather than their own

2) society is always collapsing but it's also always reforming itself and recovering from that collapse. each generation faces new, unprecedented problems that seem insurmountable but most of the time, we manage to deal with them, just in time to create totally new and totally scarier problems

pick whichever one works for you the most

It ain't whether things are going to poo poo, it's the rate at which an individual feels things are going to poo poo.

In Obama's America and Clinton's State, the rate and frequency of those feelings has increased.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

chitoryu12 posted:

The only reason I was there is because the company I contract for started their sister company/affiliate in Villa Rica to appease the newly hired Executive Director, who lives there. Said woman has basically spent her entire life backstabbing and manipulating everyone and anyone she sees to do stuff like get illegal kickbacks from corporate jobs, making her the most intelligent person in all of Villa Rica, and she did the same to us while filling the seats with locals. The remaining employees could not find their own asses with a neon sign giving directions and work at a snail's pace for even the simplest tasks, and it's laughably easy to fool them. Thankfully we dumped the Executive Director and we're moving the company out of Georgia.

On Sunday she got thrown by a horse in Tennessee, and only by breaking her neck and vertebrae against a tree was she able to avoid a 100 foot drop down a cliff. I can't say I'm upset about anything except the tree being in the way.

:stare:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

You think that's bad, you ain't never worked on the rez.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

blue squares posted:

You are paying more attention to evidence of failures in The System, because these stories are more shocking to you and also more newsworthy than stories about The System working. The fact is that The System is too large, too complex, too human to work perfectly, and it never has worked perfectly. But it's also not a complete loving mess and the country isn't collapsing.

Also, I think the US has some pretty serious problems but it's not unique in that regard. Big countries pretty much universally have big problems. You sort of have to pick which set you like, and start working on those. If you live in the US that's the lingering impact of centuries of racist policies trickling down into modern attitudes, cultural divides between urban and rural America, highly polarized politics, etc.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 2, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blue squares posted:

Our country is hosed UP. In so many ways. Infrastructure, healthcare, campaign finance, justice system, etc. It seems every institution is majorly failing us. My question is: is this unique to the United States (among industrialized nations)? Or is every country more or less a complete loving mess in every way?

Look on the bright side: We can always fix our poo poo whenever we want. No matter how hosed up America may get, we will never falter, we will never fail; we will never become another Syria.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

blue squares posted:

I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but sometimes? Things change.

Let's look at an entirely hypothetical example. You know the whole "gefilte fish" thing that some people seem to be convinced was actually code for something mysterious and subterfuge-laden but which was, actually, genuinely about gefilte fish? We'll use that.

The whole deal was that this guy needed to ship his gefilte fish to Israel and was having difficulties that he asked the Secretary of State to help him out with. So, in our hypothetical, Hillary sends out some emails to subordinates saying "hey get on the gefilte fish thing." And then one of the subordinates writes back and says "I think we've worked out a deal with Israel about the gefilte fish thing but it turns out that the Israeli diplomat I was talking to about this stuff also mentioned a top-secret plan for Israel to reduce the Gaza Strip into a smoking crater, so, um, what should I do about that?

So now the discussion has moved into a phase that obviously has to get classified, right? I think it's safe to say that "things we learned about another country's military intentions" deserve classification. But you can't only classify that stuff and leave the rest of the relevant messages unclassified, because if someone reads 'em later - which is, you know, happening - then you don't want people to read "Yeah I talked to the gefilte fish guy and we got that squared away but also CLASSIFIED poo poo." Because doing that makes it kind of obvious that it's the gefilte fish guy who was the source for your newly-classified information. So now you have to classify the whole fuckin' gefilte fish discussion.

Your argument is, essentially, "Hillary should have known that a discussion about gefilte fish could have potentially turned out to later involve classified stuff so it should have been classified even when it was just a discussion about gefilte fish." Which is dumb.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I constructed this hypothetical example specifically to allow me to type the words "gefilte fish" as often as possible.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but sometimes? Things change.

Let's look at an entirely hypothetical example. You know the whole "gefilte fish" thing that some people seem to be convinced was actually code for something mysterious and subterfuge-laden but which was, actually, genuinely about gefilte fish? We'll use that.

The whole deal was that this guy needed to ship his gefilte fish to Israel and was having difficulties that he asked the Secretary of State to help him out with. So, in our hypothetical, Hillary sends out some emails to subordinates saying "hey get on the gefilte fish thing." And then one of the subordinates writes back and says "I think we've worked out a deal with Israel about the gefilte fish thing but it turns out that the Israeli diplomat I was talking to about this stuff also mentioned a top-secret plan for Israel to reduce the Gaza Strip into a smoking crater, so, um, what should I do about that?

So now the discussion has moved into a phase that obviously has to get classified, right? I think it's safe to say that "things we learned about another country's military intentions" deserve classification. But you can't only classify that stuff and leave the rest of the relevant messages unclassified, because if someone reads 'em later - which is, you know, happening - then you don't want people to read "Yeah I talked to the gefilte fish guy and we got that squared away but also CLASSIFIED poo poo." Because doing that makes it kind of obvious that it's the gefilte fish guy who was the source for your newly-classified information. So now you have to classify the whole fuckin' gefilte fish discussion.

Your argument is, essentially, "Hillary should have known that a discussion about gefilte fish could have potentially turned out to later involve classified stuff so it should have been classified even when it was just a discussion about gefilte fish." Which is dumb.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I constructed this hypothetical example specifically to allow me to type the words "gefilte fish" as often as possible.

I do not think many posters will question my support for the right of the Jewish state of Israel to exist.

With that said, for the life of me, I cannot think of any legitimate reason why you would ever discuss gefilte fish and then remember to order a drone strike somewhere.

How does that even happen? Believe me, I do understand how a craving for gefilte fish may produce confusing emotions; I do not know how to trust someone who expresses those emotions in a classified manner, especially as that individual had a penchant to delete any records which may shed light upon their character.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

I do not think many posters will question my support for the right of the Jewish state of Israel to exist.

With that said, for the life of me, I cannot think of any legitimate reason why you would ever discuss gefilte fish and then remember to order a drone strike somewhere.

Kinda makes sense to me. Every time I eat gefilte fish I am filled with an overwhelming urge to kill whoever just forced that abomination on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

Kinda makes sense to me. Every time I eat gefilte fish I am filled with an overwhelming urge to kill whoever just forced that abomination on me.

Can we trust a candidate who may or may not have followed through on that urge, and knows that it cannot be proven either way because their personal server deleted all records of the event?

• Locked thread