Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

You have to work within your body type. You know, the schlubby guy dressed as Sailor Moon is funny in a "what a pathetic loser" kind of way, but its not good cosplay. If you're fat, dress as fat characters. If you're young, dress as young characters. If you're a man, dress as male characters. Etc, etc, etc. There's nothing worse than someone dressing up as something they're not, and failing to create the illusion that they are that character (yes, there are instances where people can create that illusion working against type, but they are few and far between).

In short, its better to be a mediocre Jerry than a bad Rick.

It's never OK to be a Jerry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's also better to be a mediocre lurker than a bad poster, but you never gave up on that dream.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Irish Joe posted:

You have to work within your body type. You know, the schlubby guy dressed as Sailor Moon is funny in a "what a pathetic loser" kind of way, but its not good cosplay. If you're fat, dress as fat characters. If you're young, dress as young characters. If you're a man, dress as male characters. Etc, etc, etc. There's nothing worse than someone dressing up as something they're not, and failing to create the illusion that they are that character (yes, there are instances where people can create that illusion working against type, but they are few and far between).

In short, its better to be a mediocre Jerry than a bad Rick.

who gives a poo poo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dubstep Jesus posted:

who gives a poo poo

No one, it's all stupid and pointless so just have fun with it. Dress up as whatever dumbass cartoon character you wanna dress up as and let other people do the same without being a dick about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween is the best holiday. No one cares if you're costume is accurate. I want to see so many Ricks and Mortys this year so don't let me down!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No one, it's all stupid and pointless so just have fun with it. Dress up as whatever dumbass cartoon character you wanna dress up as and let other people do the same without being a dick about it.

Let him be a dick. Who gives a poo poo?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Segmentation Fault posted:

I thought the point of cosplay was to explore being another character and to maybe show off crafting skills, not necessarily matching the character 100% accurately.

I thought the point of cosplay was to indulge some streak of emotional masochism within the cosplayer. Like, "I want to be roundly mocked by people on the internet while also being leered at by other people on the internet who want to have sex with the fictional character I am portraying."

Fine, there's some people who look appropriate and even attractive in costume. There also a lot of people you look at and just think, "Jesus, do you not own a mirror? Why are you going out in public like that?"

johntfs fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 2, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

a cop posted:

Eh, good point. None of this crap matters and we're all going to die, and I mean that in the nicest most sincere way possible.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You have to literally be 2D to cosplay cartoon characters.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eh, good point. None of this crap matters and we're all going to die, and I mean that in the nicest most sincere way possible.

Come watch TV.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I went to PAX one year with a serious cosplayer. She loved it, but it just looked like poo poo to me. I mean, she was gorgeous, but she couldn't go ten steps without, "OMG can I get a picture with you?!" Her husband was basically there to hold her purse. I think a lot of the fun is in building the costume, not just wearing it, but the wearing part looks... wearying. I have another friend who is a bit heavier and cosplays as pokemon but she puts so much joy and creativity into her creations that it's impossible to poo poo on it. She doesn't cosplay for sexy-attention, she does it because she's playing. She finds other people doing the same thing and they get really excited and take a billion pictures of themselves being goofy. (She works for the government as an actual adult.)

So--if you have fun making the costume and have fun wearing it, gently caress the haters and go be that thing. I would high-five anyone who looked like they were trying a Rick and Morty character, even if they're non-caucasian, fat, or a girl.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
For the curious, the show is still doing great in ratings.
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-100-sunday-cable-originals-8-30-2015.html

Last week's episode's viewership rose 37% after 3 day DVR ratings.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...23-2015/454600/

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pixelante posted:

So--if you have fun making the costume and have fun wearing it, gently caress the haters and go be that thing. I would high-five anyone who looked like they were trying a Rick and Morty character, even if they're non-caucasian, fat, or a girl.

Just make sure to wash your hand after

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Cosplay as Hamurai.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Cosplay as Hamurai.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

a cop posted:

Only if he's a dick in real life, I don't want anyone posting against type.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is amazing and horrifying, what's it from?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

This is amazing and horrifying, what's it from?

:nms:GIS "Meat Suit":nms:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Way more people like wearing meat then I thought.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Bonus T-rex arms. For some reason. T-bone rex?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Paladinus posted:

You have to literally be 2D to cosplay cartoon characters.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm just imagining them having a bunch of different paper masks for different situations.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i dunno if this has been posted before or not, but good interview with an unusually sedated Roiland and possibly soberish Harmon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaTKQlX8Us

They talk about some of the production process and stuff, but the high light for me was the discussion of how the improvisation for Rixty Minutes worked and how it will be different for the second season iteration (it will be pure strain Roiland)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JT Jag posted:

I'm just imagining them having a bunch of different paper masks for different situations.

Rick being annoyed and Morty freaking out should cover most situations

Edit: holy hell, Roiland's official IMDB photo is awesome

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 2, 2015

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

JT Jag posted:

I have a friend who insists they're faking drunk when they make Drunk History segments.

I'm pretty sure the Harmon segment will put that to bed.

It's faked in the sense that it isn't drunk people misremembering history, it's drunk people misremembering a script they've been given

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

JT Jag posted:

They could probably get by with just those, really

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I affectionately call this human music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjwwmFrsX_E

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mustached5thGrader posted:

It's faked in the sense that it isn't drunk people misremembering history, it's drunk people misremembering a script they've been given

It's drunk people ad libbing a version of the story they were just told to tell.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's drunk people ad libbing a version of the story they were just told to tell.

I saw the creator go over the process I think on a talk show once. They're given a script or maybe just a fact sheet ahead of time, then they get drunk, keep drinking, and have to tell the whole thing three times while getting more and more drunk and they use those three takes to create the segments. I think the idea is they want like a baseline drunk take that's still understandable they can pull from so it isn't all gibberish, and then drunker takes for comedy.

Regardless it's not "fake" in any sense unless you make assumptions or something. It's just drunk people explaining historic events, and it's one of the better concepts on television right now in my opinion, along with this show and Review (thread), which is criminally under-watched and is loving brilliant.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just want to say that the American version of Review is absolute rubbish compared to the original. Please, watch Review With Myles Barlow if you can.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will not have you poo poo on Andy Daly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'd think he would be willing to give it a shot so he could review it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Have they done an A-plot revolving around Rick/Beth or Morty/Beth yet?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

Have they done an A-plot revolving around Rick/Beth or Morty/Beth yet?

Nope. Beth exists to have marriage problems with Jerry or drink.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Just want to say that the American version of Review is absolute rubbish compared to the original. Please, watch Review With Myles Barlow if you can.

Wow you are dumb and wrong

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

livingfruitvirus posted:

For the curious, the show is still doing great in ratings.
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-100-sunday-cable-originals-8-30-2015.html

Last week's episode's viewership rose 37% after 3 day DVR ratings.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...23-2015/454600/

SEASON 3 BITCH! http://deadline.com/2015/08/rick-and-morty-renewed-season-3-adult-swim-dan-harmon-justin-roiland-1201497834/

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

BlackJosh posted:

Wow you are dumb and wrong

Actually, his opinion is smart and correct.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Not sure if you knew this before now or not

fry.jpg

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People are shipping Summer and the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

WickedHate posted:

People are shipping Summer and the car.

Link. I want to laugh.

• Locked thread