Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

What alternatives are there to a Moto X (2014)? The new Xs (2015) will be too big for my teeny hands, and I'm afraid the 2014 specs might get old quickly (I have a moto G 2014 and it's getting slow, and I had to start deleting apps). I guess the z3 compact would fit, but I don't really like the pointy edges.

Important: 32GB minimum (more/expandable preferred), 5.2in max
Less important: vanilla android, battery life
Don't care at all: camera/4G/display/sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I live in Uruguay and I'm looking to upgrade my current phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) as the screen has about run its course and I don't want to drop more money on the same phone.

I was looking at the iPhone 6 but it's outrageously expensive on e-bay at the moment (I need to get an unlocked phone so that I can use it down here in the badlands of South America). So far out of the phones I've looked at, I've been considering the Galaxy S5 the most.

Budget (phone/plan): probably about $350 max, $400 if it's clearly superior to anything else, but ideally closer to $300.
Features I know I want: decent sized screen, 16gb minimum but 32 preferred. I really don't use cameras much and the only apps I depend upon are focused on productivity/organization. I like neat, streamlined interfaces though.

Thanks everyone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

plasmoduck posted:

What alternatives are there to a Moto X (2014)? The new Xs (2015) will be too big for my teeny hands, and I'm afraid the 2014 specs might get old quickly (I have a moto G 2014 and it's getting slow, and I had to start deleting apps). I guess the z3 compact would fit, but I don't really like the pointy edges.

Pick up a 2015 Moto G and put in an SD card. It's still 5", and has 16GB onboard storage rather than 8.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

plasmoduck posted:

You could wait until the Z4 compact is properly announced (expected "Q3 2015"). It's expected to have 32 GB internal memory and have a 4.7 inch screen. I know nothing about whether it will have the same sharp edges as the Z3 compact.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Pick up a 2015 Moto G and put in an SD card. It's still 5", and has 16GB onboard storage rather than 8.

The issue with that is that most of my data is from apps. While they can be "moved to SD", every update seems to move them back to internal storage, making this pretty useless for apps that get updated often (most of mine). To avoid having to upgrade again I'm pretty sure I'll need 32GB internal. I'm less concerned with expandable storage since I don't store music on my phone, it's mostly photos which I should back up somewhere else anyway.

How bad is the idea to settle for the old moto X?

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 1, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

plasmoduck posted:

The issue with that is that most of my data is from apps. While they can be "moved to SD", every update seems to move them back to internal storage, making this pretty useless for apps that get updated often (most of mine). To avoid having to upgrade again I'm pretty sure I'll need 32GB internal. I'm less concerned with expandable storage since I don't store music on my phone, it's mostly photos which I should back up somewhere else anyway.

How bad is the idea to settle for the old moto X?

When the update to Marshmallow comes, you'll have the ability to mitigate this problem.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

LastInLine posted:

When the update to Marshmallow comes, you'll have the ability to mitigate this problem.

Wow I hadn't kept up with this, that'd be fantastic! I'll definitely wait with a phone upgrade then, thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

plasmoduck posted:

Wow I hadn't kept up with this, that'd be fantastic! I'll definitely wait with a phone upgrade then, thanks!

It's currently unclear how exactly it will be implemented as there are no preview devices equipped with SD slots, but one of the headline features is the ability to marry the SD card to the internal storage of the device, much like Windows Phone 7 did. It would present itself as a single volume and would thus not be subject to problems like not having internal space for apps despite having a card that's solely for media.

The obvious disadvantage to this is that this will likely make the SD card unremovable because the phone will expect it to always be there. So if you're the kind of person who puts the card in your PC to load up on media then puts it back into the phone, that will probably not be possible any longer. You'll have to treat it as though it were internal storage. (Again, if the speculation is true--we don't have any details on the exact implementation.)

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 1, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm after a dual SIM phone in the UK, budget of £300 max, 4G required. I'd prefer something fairly stock-looking as I'm used to a nexus 4. 5" or under if possible.

Along those lines, is the Asus zenfone 2 dual SIM any good?

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It's currently unclear how exactly it will be implemented as there are no preview devices equipped with SD slots, but one of the headline features is the ability to marry the SD card to the internal storage of the device, much like Windows Phone 7 did. It would present itself as a single volume and would thus not be subject to problems like not having internal space for apps despite having a card that's solely for media.

The obvious disadvantage to this is that this will likely make the SD card unremovable because the phone will expect it to always be there. So if you're the kind of person who puts the card in your PC to load up on media then puts it back into the phone, that will probably not be possible any longer. You'll have to treat it as though it were internal storage. (Again, if the speculation is true--we don't have any details on the exact implementation.)

Thanks! Leaving the SD in the phone wouldn't be a problem for me, since I don't move media around often (or do so via USB cable). I'll hold out a bit longer for a new phone, hopefully my moto G2 will receive Marshmallow (and quickly).

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Hi thread. I've got a couple of questions.

Country/provider: USA, AT&T. I'm planning to switch, though.
Current contract status: ending in a couple weeks.
Budget: preferably $40/month or less for the plan, and I'd prefer $150 or less for the phone, but can go up to $250.

For the provider, I was planning on switching to Cricket's $35/month 2.5GB plan. I've not had any problems with AT&T, so staying on the same network seems good, and they offer 4G unlike many smaller providers. Is there any reason this wouldn't be a good idea?

As for the phone, I really have no idea what I want. I have a Galaxy S3, and I like it, but it's badly in need of replacement, and it's the only smartphone I've ever had. I'm on the internet quite a bit, watch a lot of youtube, listen to pandora all the time (I'm on wifi most of the time, so the 2.5GB plan should be plenty.) I do play some games, but it's mostly board games, solitaire, sudoku, etc. So nothing too taxing. I like the size of the S3 (and physical design aesthetic, but that's a bit less important), I think I could go to a slightly larger size, but smaller would be annoying. 4G would be preferable if I do go with Cricket. I use the camera very infrequently, so that doesn't matter too much. Being able to put in an SD card is nice but not a big deal. I'd also like at least decent sound.

Cricket offers an S4 for $250, but that's more than I'd like to pay, especially for a phone two generations old. I have no brand loyalty or anything, I just don't really know anything about current phones, so what should I be looking at for good quality while atill being relatively inexpensive?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2015 Moto G 16 GB.

No reason not to go with Cricket, no, if you're happy with AT&T, just be aware that they do throttle LTE data to 8 Mbps, though that probably won't affect your day to day use.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

That seems great, thank you!

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Hi everyone. Looking for a little bit of guidance, since I have been trapped in the "ooh, but _______ is coming out in /just/ one more month" cycle for a while now.

Country/Provider: US / T-Mobile
Current contract status: Their no-contract post-paid delio
Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to spend less than $500, if possible, but I'm somewhat flexible.
Features I know I want:
* Vanilla Android that's actually getting OTA to Marshmallow and beyond
* Not shittastic battery life
* Fast charging
* Acceptable performance
* Acceptable screen
* Suitable for tiny little fag whose hands can barely fit around the Nexus 4 :shobon:

Bonus points if it's rootable.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CaladSigilon posted:

Hi everyone. Looking for a little bit of guidance, since I have been trapped in the "ooh, but _______ is coming out in /just/ one more month" cycle for a while now.

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to spend less than $500, if possible, but I'm somewhat flexible.
Features I know I want:
* Fast charging
* Acceptable performance
* Acceptable screen
* Suitable for tiny little fag whose hands can barely fit around the Nexus 4 :shobon:

I think your best bet is to cross your fingers and hope the new Nexus has all those features at that price.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

Desk Lamp posted:

I think your best bet is to cross your fingers and hope the new Nexus has all those features at that price.

That's kind of what I've been afraid of. :sigh:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CaladSigilon posted:

Features I know I want:
* Fast charging
* Acceptable performance
* Acceptable screen

3rd gen Moto G for $220 hits most of those. Don't know if it has fast charging, but otherwise ticks those boxes, and is smaller than the new Nexus will be. 2014 Moto X is another option, though battery isn't its strongest point (but if you're comparing it to a Nexus 4, it'll be phenomenal!). Otherwise you'll have to compromise, with size being the most likely. New Moto X Pure Edition and new Nexus (possibly two Nexus models) will all be bigger.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

My contract with Verizon is going to be up in about 2 months so I'm looking at my upgrade options for that timeframe.

Country/Provider: US / Verizon
Current contract status: 2-Year, expires in November
Budget (phone/plan): Flexible, but not completely outrageous
Main uses: As an actual phone (headset or speakerphone), web browsing, Youtube, listening to music, calendar and scheduling, note taking, sometimes using Teamviewer or playing games.

Important Features:
- Screen Size, my current phone is a Moto X 2013 and it's pretty small. I would like something that is bigger, but can still reasonably fit in my pocket. 1080p is fine.
- Decent performance. Doesn't have to be lightning fast but I would like it to not die when I try to use a web browser.
- Not-poo poo actual phone features. Noting this specifically because I had an HTC One for a while and the actual phone portion was unusably poo poo. No bad unconfigurable noise filters or any garbage like that. I use my phone as an actual phone for work a lot so this is pretty important.
- Don't want to have to root it or anything like that. Much preferred not bloated to hell, or I can uninstall stuff without too much pain. Mainly I don't want obnoxious pop-ups and poo poo like that bothering me, I don't care if there's stuff installed that I don't use if it isn't annoying me or wasting significant resources.

Semi-Important:
- Battery Life doesn't have to be amazing (I'm rarely away from someplace I can charge it and I have a portable brick I can use too) but I would hope for it to either 1) Not be completely terrible, or 2) Be fast or convenient to charge.
- Storage space doesn't have to be big, but at least enough that I can fit a decent amount of music or something to watch if I go on a long trip.
- Good Camera, if at all possible.

BTW also if anyone could recommend a good Bluetooth earpiece that either goes in-ear (like an ear-bud) or clips on, I could really use one. I've had real trouble finding one that will actually stay on my drat ear.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm a fan of the Plantronics Voyager Pro or whatever the current model of that line is.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

- Screen Size, my current phone is a Moto X 2013 and it's pretty small. I would like something that is bigger, but can still reasonably fit in my pocket. 1080p is fine.

Seeing as how you list that as important, you should probably be a bit more specific. Almost anything is bigger than that these days, but not sure what constitutes "reasonably fit in my pocket".

If you like the overall experience on the 2013 Moto X then you might be interested in the 2015 Moto G. Actually, to any potential posters in here, unless you have some specific feature you really care about, don't mind dumping 600+ dollars for high end specs, or have some weird needs, just assume the answer is 2015 Moto G. And remember to get the 16GB one(it's still really cheap).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think a 5.7" screen is pretty doable. My current Moto X is a only a 4.7" of course.

There's nothing wrong with my current phone so I'm not looking for a sidegrade in terms of performance/features, looking more for a step up, if that helps narrow things down at all.

LastInLine posted:

I'm a fan of the Plantronics Voyager Pro or whatever the current model of that line is.

Voyager Legend looks like the current model. A little pricey but it does look pretty nice, I'll take a look at one next chance I get.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Posting from my moto g 2015 which is a good phone.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Do those work on verizon?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So for someone on verizon what's the next best thing at a similar price? So far the best option I can come up with is a used 2014 moto x.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I'm looking at getting a new phone/plan. Please tell me if I'm making a terrible mistake.

My contract with Bell has ended, and I'm planning on getting a new phone through a public service employee deal thing at work, but its a personal phone 100%. This is in Canada, so prices are higher. The deal is offered through a reseller of Bell's network called Baka Mobility (heh) in Toronto. I'd never heard of them, but others I've talked to seem to be happy with their service so far.

The phone is a Moto X Play LTE ($0 with a 2-year plan).

The plan is $60 a month. It includes 5gb data/month, more than enough local/long-distance calling, unlimited text, and the full suite of call display/messaging/whatever. All activation/environmental fees waived, good coverage in my area.

I mostly use my phones to dick around on the internet and text, cameras/app availability is secondary to a light, sturdy phone with good battery life.

Is this an okay phone/deal? Thanks goons

e: I could also get the Moto G for $0, but the X-Play seems like the beefier phone?

Old Story fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 2, 2015

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I currently have an iPhone motherfuckin' 3! Obviously I do not care all that much about having the most cutting edge poo poo. Regardless, I am off contract with AT&T and am after something definitely under $500 and preferably under $400. I am kind of leaning towards a used Nexus 6, but am open to other options in case that is moronic in any way. As long as it does all the standard poo poo well and has a pretty nice camera, I will be pleased.

I have a Nexus tablet, so I can't imagine I'll have much of a learning curve whether I go with an iOS or an android device. I am sorta wary of iPhones, since they seem more expensive for no decent reason, but they ain't off limits.

It's nice that it'll be impossible for me to not enjoy a massive across the board upgrade!

Whatev fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 3, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selane posted:

Actually, to any potential posters in here, unless you have some specific feature you really care about, don't mind dumping 600+ dollars for high end specs, or have some weird needs, just assume the answer is 2015 Moto G. And remember to get the 16GB one(it's still really cheap).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Plan: Data-only with AT&T, contract ends this month. Happy enough with their service but am not married to them. Eyeing T-Mobile's nerd plan, so I'd love to hear from anyone with knowledge of their coverage/performance in the Twin Cities.

Budget: $50-60/month for the plan, under $400 for the phone. (If I can buy the phone on Amazon, that's a plus, as I have a decent credit line with them.) Presently I have a wifi hotspot (and a horrible dumbphone) only, but would like to move to an actual non-horrible smartphone, and I'd rather do a bring-your-own-phone plan.

Main Uses: Phone/messaging stuff, email/web/Awful app, music/podcasts/audiobooks.

Needs:
- Android, the closer to stock, the better. No particular interest in rooting.
- Either decent performance in its own right, the ability to function as a wifi hotspot for my Nexus 7 tablet, or (ideally) both.
- Wireless charging would be nice, but not essential.
- I'm a big guy with big hands, so a big phone is probably better.
- Probably at least 3 gigs/month of data. (Presently on 5, and I don't usually go through it all but it has been known.) Talk time is less important. Texting is completely nonessential (though international texting to the U.K. in particular would be nice). Wifi is available at home and sporadically during my bus commute, but it's not available at work, so reliable data coverage is pretty important.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

Plan: Data-only with AT&T, contract ends this month. Happy enough with their service but am not married to them. Eyeing T-Mobile's nerd plan, so I'd love to hear from anyone with knowledge of their coverage/performance in the Twin Cities.

Budget: $50-60/month for the plan, under $400 for the phone. (If I can buy the phone on Amazon, that's a plus, as I have a decent credit line with them.) Presently I have a wifi hotspot (and a horrible dumbphone) only, but would like to move to an actual non-horrible smartphone, and I'd rather do a bring-your-own-phone plan.

Main Uses: Phone/messaging stuff, email/web/Awful app, music/podcasts/audiobooks.

Needs:
- Android, the closer to stock, the better. No particular interest in rooting.
- Either decent performance in its own right, the ability to function as a wifi hotspot for my Nexus 7 tablet, or (ideally) both.
- Wireless charging would be nice, but not essential.
- I'm a big guy with big hands, so a big phone is probably better.
- Probably at least 3 gigs/month of data. (Presently on 5, and I don't usually go through it all but it has been known.) Talk time is less important. Texting is completely nonessential (though international texting to the U.K. in particular would be nice). Wifi is available at home and sporadically during my bus commute, but it's not available at work, so reliable data coverage is pretty important.

How about Cricket for $45/m with international SMS thrown in and 5GB data combined with the 2015 Moto G with 2GB RAM/16GB storage for $220?

Selane
May 19, 2006

Whatev posted:

I currently have an iPhone motherfuckin' 3! Obviously I do not care all that much about having the most cutting edge poo poo. Regardless, I am off contract with AT&T and am after something definitely under $500 and preferably under $400. I am kind of leaning towards a used Nexus 6, but am open to other options in case that is moronic in any way. As long as it does all the standard poo poo well and has a pretty nice camera, I will be pleased.

Anything is gonna be a lot bigger than your current phone, but the Nexus 6 is one of the most colossal phones there is. Make sure you're ok with the huge size increase before you pull the trigger. And even if you do want something that big, you can get a new Moto X Style for 400, I'd take that over a used Nexus 6.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Selane posted:

Anything is gonna be a lot bigger than your current phone, but the Nexus 6 is one of the most colossal phones there is. Make sure you're ok with the huge size increase before you pull the trigger. And even if you do want something that big, you can get a new Moto X Style for 400, I'd take that over a used Nexus 6.
Thanks. I didn't really give much thought to the size. Looking around a little bit, it definitely seems like waiting a week to get a brand new Moto X Pure would be much less stupid than a used Nexus 6, yeah. Even if I'm willing to drop the cash, I just really hate the idea of always having a $500-$1000 item on my person, so $400 for that cute little baby seems like a good sweet spot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Does anyone know if a Sprint prepaid Moto E 4G LTE will work on Ting? Best Buy currently has them on sale for $40.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I dropped my phone on the floor and I need a new one, but the phone market seems about as bad as the leet gaming accessories market and I only need something that can do phone stuff and work well as a calendar and notebook. Whats a good reliable phone for this purpose, a Blackberry?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have a Canadian friend who will be in the US for about six months. She is at a rural university right now and is using an unlocked Blackberry on Roam Mobility which seems to be an MVNO that markets themselves specifically to Canadians staying for extended periods in the US. Unfortunately they use T-Mobile HSPA+ which you can imagine functions poorly in her location and she has no data service and worst, didn't realize that public transportation isn't really an option here and now could really use some GPS.

I recommended a Moto E as it's cheap and will serve her purpose but I had no idea that there were so many variables. There are two versions, a 3G and 4G, each with different SoCs. I was thinking Tracfone would be best because she could just pay as she goes but I can't tell what network it would run on. The Tracfone branded one is the 3G version. Tracfone has a BYOP option and I can find a Verizon 4G prepaid model but it's unclear if I can bring that to Tracfone (I get the impression I can but it will function in GSM mode and I don't know if that would get LTE or if it would be on T-Mo or AT&T).

I need advice from someone who knows this poo poo. As far as I can tell, all of the networks seem bad where she is but if the specific use of this device to avoid being lost Sprint and T-Mobile are not the networks to be on so I guess the tl;dr is: Is there a way to use the Moto E 4G on Tracfone using Verizon LTE or AT&T LTE? Should I be considering another direction entirely?

Low cost a priority.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

I dropped my phone on the floor and I need a new one, but the phone market seems about as bad as the leet gaming accessories market and I only need something that can do phone stuff and work well as a calendar and notebook. Whats a good reliable phone for this purpose, a Blackberry?

The phone market is crazy, the New York Times just labeled a phone plan as the "hardest thing a family will pick." Hyperbole, but either way, if you provide more details we can solve it for you pretty easily:

Provide: country (city would be nice), carrier, up front and monthly budget.

The quick answer: the probable recommendation would be a Moto G 2015 (just came out). It's like, $200, works on ATT/cricket (decent coverage) and ATT's cricket plans start at $35ish.

Edit: see my answer to last in line below, if you want a really cheap phone the Lumia 635 matches what you want. Just keep in mind it has pretty meh support for apps.

LastInLine posted:

I have a Canadian friend who will be in the US for about six months. She is at a rural university right now and is using an unlocked Blackberry on Roam Mobility which seems to be an MVNO that markets themselves specifically to Canadians staying for extended periods in the US. Unfortunately they use T-Mobile HSPA+ which you can imagine functions poorly in her location and she has no data service and worst, didn't realize that public transportation isn't really an option here and now could really use some GPS.

I recommended a Moto E as it's cheap and will serve her purpose but I had no idea that there were so many variables. There are two versions, a 3G and 4G, each with different SoCs. I was thinking Tracfone would be best because she could just pay as she goes but I can't tell what network it would run on. The Tracfone branded one is the 3G version. Tracfone has a BYOP option and I can find a Verizon 4G prepaid model but it's unclear if I can bring that to Tracfone (I get the impression I can but it will function in GSM mode and I don't know if that would get LTE or if it would be on T-Mo or AT&T).

I need advice from someone who knows this poo poo. As far as I can tell, all of the networks seem bad where she is but if the specific use of this device to avoid being lost Sprint and T-Mobile are not the networks to be on so I guess the tl;dr is: Is there a way to use the Moto E 4G on Tracfone using Verizon LTE or AT&T LTE? Should I be considering another direction entirely?

Low cost a priority.

So I guess the question is, does she have an unlocked phone or not?

Network wise, I would just skip straight talk. The answer to what network they use is "everyone's," straight talk sells phones that provision for verizon, some that provision ATT, etc. it's a confusing mess. Last I checked though, straight talk will only allow approved phones on the their stuff that piggybacks on verizon, so that is out for you.

The absolute cheapest good phone you can get is a Lumia 635 for ATT /Cricket for $50. Honestly, it's a drat good phone for $50, so if she needs a good phone + network combo dirt cheap, the Lumia plus Cricket is probably the best option.

Edit: def check ATT coverage in that area though.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 7, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

The phone market is crazy, the New York Times just labeled a phone plan as the "hardest thing a family will pick." Hyperbole, but either way, if you provide more details we can solve it for you pretty easily:

The quick answer: the probable recommendation would be a Moto G 2015 (just came out). It's like, $200, works on ATT/cricket (decent coverage) and ATT's cricket plans start at $35ish.

Edit: see my answer to last in line below, if you want a really cheap phone the Lumia 635 matches what you want. Just keep in mind it has pretty meh support for apps.

So I guess the question is, does she have an unlocked phone or not?

Network wise, I would just skip straight talk. The answer to what network they use is "everyone's," straight talk sells phones that provision for verizon, some that provision ATT, etc. it's a confusing mess. Last I checked though, straight talk will only allow approved phones on the their stuff that piggybacks on verizon, so that is out for you.

The absolute cheapest good phone you can get is a Lumia 635 for ATT /Cricket for $50. Honestly, it's a drat good phone for $50, so if she needs a good phone + network combo dirt cheap, the Lumia plus Cricket is probably the best option.

Edit: def check ATT coverage in that area though.

Does Cricket care about how long you stay? For some reason I thought by the time you paid one time setup fees that first month is pretty expensive.

Also I'm not going to subject her to Windows Phone. If she's bringing an unlocked phone to an MVNO it's going to be Moto E, I just wasn't sure if she was going to beat $45/m + $150 for a Moto E 4G which I think she would view as too much of an expense for a safety net she may not need (and doesn't want to actually use as a phone).

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I live in Sweden so I don't have to worry about which phone works with what provider, and it's just cheaper to buy phones and plans separate.

Are cheap phones like the Lumia 635 of enough quality to be worth it when I can just get what people were going apeshit over 2 years ago for the same price second hand?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

I live in Sweden so I don't have to worry about which phone works with what provider, and it's just cheaper to buy phones and plans separate.

Are cheap phones like the Lumia 635 of enough quality to be worth it when I can just get what people were going apeshit over 2 years ago for the same price second hand?

Ok, if you are in Sweden then just get the Moto G 2015. It basically has the specs (and better) of a two year old high end phone with better future software support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/09/new-t-mobile-reseller-smartel-offers.html

Anyone tried this company out?