Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

starkebn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Ob0xR0Ut8

the way the orbits of our planets are always depicted leads to many having a warped idea of the scale of our solar system

I took an astronomy class some years back, and the teacher had set up a similar accurate distance chart outside using painted golf balls. The terrestrial planets were just a few steps away from each other, then you hit the asteroid belt (which in itself is pretty goddamn huge) and the gas giants, and we just kept on walking and walking until we hit Pluto and the Kuiper belt... at a shopping center some two miles away :stare: It was actually pretty cool and blew my mind since I thought I was somewhat well versed in the solar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

bimmian posted:

"The Calcio Storico – ‘historic football’ – is an ancient form of football from the 16th century, which originated from the ancient roman ‘harpastum’, and is played in teams of 27, using both feet and hands. While things like sucker-punches and kicks to the head are prohibited, headbutting, punching, elbowing, and choking are all allowed."

There is a sport somewhere in here

Crazy Eyes Giuseppe is a beast on the run, could never tell which way he was going to go.

(link to more pics at chive)

https://vimeo.com/25512336

Why is this not on tv?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

8 year old kid with cerebral palsy completes a triathalon, decides to run the last 20m without his walker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEWO9JljMCY

That kid is awesome, made me cry at the end there.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

thewireguy posted:

Why is this not on tv?

Because as a sport it's actually really boring to watch more than once

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

thewireguy posted:

Why is this not on tv?

Only happens once a year, and Florence is the only place hat does.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Can I have death race 2015 at least?

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Rabhadh posted:

Because as a sport it's actually really boring to watch more than once

You could say that about all ball sports then

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Took me a second to see the surfer on that thing. Wow.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Thread title is appropriate.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Say Nothing posted:

Thread title is appropriate.

But he doesn't like Star Wars?!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

tribbledirigible posted:

But he doesn't like Star Wars?!

But he does love gigantic black helmets pressed against his bathing suit area.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nebelwerfer posted:

You could say that about all ball sports then

Ugh, don't talk to me about sports.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

the kid is digging it

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

starkebn posted:

the kid is digging it

As far as "scarred for life" goes, this one is up with those lightning strike scars. This kid's going to be the most baddass in the 3rd grade.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He should just get all his tats like that. Be cheaper in the long run.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Isn't Queensland the redneck state of Australia? That's basically the best thing that's happened to him so far.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phlegmish posted:

Isn't Queensland the redneck state of Australia? That's basically the best thing that's happened to him so far.

Queensland is like a lot of the worst parts of Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. He's basically most :krad: five year old in his county right now.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Every Australian I've ever met has a streak of Florida in them.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Every Australian I've ever met has a streak of Florida in them.

I used to be cool with an Aussie transplant here in States that occasionally played WoW with me until he randomly went off on a tangent about "those loving Abos and Lebos."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

starkebn posted:

the kid is digging it

Wouldn't it just fade or get more disfigured as he grew up?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Calaveron posted:

Wouldn't it just fade or get more disfigured as he grew up?

Yeah, he'll want to get that touched up every now and then.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Useless posted:

As far as "scarred for life" goes, this one is up with those lightning strike scars. This kid's going to be the most baddass in the 3rd grade.

His name is Cannon. He's got badass for life locked up.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

His name is Cannon. He's got badass for life locked up.

I almost feel bad for the kid- He has to be a total badass his entire life. "Hey, you know that guy Cannon with the dragon scar over in accounting?" just doesn't work.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bimmian posted:

I almost feel bad for the kid- He has to be a total badass his entire life. "Hey, you know that guy Cannon with the dragon scar over in accounting?" just doesn't work.

This is exactly what is going to happen. My friend's middle name is "Danger" and he is an IT nerd.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Ah, the reverse "Boy named Sue" effect.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

bimmian posted:

Why the hell not?

"... Don't ever let him catch you faking an expense claim!"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Graphene Aerogel.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/153063-graphene-aerogel-is-seven-times-lighter-than-air-can-balance-on-a-blade-of-grass

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Almost mistook this for a Vogon Constructor Fleet vessel (on account of it hanging in the air in exactly the way bricks don't).

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was expecting it to turn around, belch guns at me, and tell me how my dick is evil

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Perfect picture for an SCP entry.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

amityville anus posted:

I was expecting it to turn around, belch guns at me, and tell me how my dick is evil

Wait for version 2.0. :getin:

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

amityville anus posted:

Thank god I'm not alone in this

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
it must be as trippy to hold that as it is to look at the blacker-than-black material

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

starkebn posted:

it must be as trippy to hold that as it is to look at the blacker-than-black material

What?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Nevermind I found it. That's pretty cool.

News article posted:

If it was used to make one of Chanel's little black dresses, the wearer's head and limbs might appear to float incorporeally around a dress-shaped hole.

Wanta venture bros character called phantom torso now

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Graphene Aerogel.

That kind of stuff is cool as hell, but am I reading this wrong?

quote:

Chinese material scientists have created the world’s lightest material: A graphene aerogel that is seven times lighter than air, and 12% lighter than the previous record holder

Doesn't that mean it should be floating away, rather than just resting on the top of flowers?

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Shrapnig posted:

Ugh, don't talk to me about sports.

shut up nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gromit posted:

That kind of stuff is cool as hell, but am I reading this wrong?

Doesn't that mean it should be floating away, rather than just resting on the top of flowers?

I think they meant that it's lighter than air in a vacuum. Its structure creates a lot of empty space which is filled with air.

I may be phrasing this poorly, but the structure is lighter than air, the material the structure is made of (largely if not entirely carbon) is obviously heavier than air, resulting in it not floating away.

If you filled the structure with a gas that is lighter than air (instead of air) is would likely float away (depending on the gas, temperature, pressure, etc.) similarly to how a balloon floats until you pop it.