Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that saves me the time of going in and playing again then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I built a colony and the building was fun. When I placed the NPC markers so the guys would move in, they pretty much just walk around doing nothing except occasionally give me like, rice, or a stalk of wheat. You use a ton of resources, materials, and time in order to get like, a seed, or 6 bandages.

I assume this is just a placeholder system and the rewards will be good in the future. I like the colony idea for sure.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Did they ever fix it so you can move storage containers around with their contents intact? Last time I played I didn't even bother doing anything cool with my ship because if I wanted to rearrange the chests it would barf every stored object I owned all over the floor turning the bliss of interior decorating into a stupid nightmare that I didn't want to deal with

e: I would just check but I don't have it installed rn

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 28, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

flesh dance posted:

Did they ever fix it so you can move storage containers around with their contents intact? Last time I played I didn't even bother doing anything cool with my ship because if I wanted to rearrange the chests it would barf every stored object I owned all over the floor turning the bliss of interior decorating into a stupid nightmare that I didn't want to deal with

Nope, for some reason a lot of games like this make containers work like this and it's awful every time.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

What a letdown. That would've been a huge quality of life improvement. I wonder how difficult it would be to implement "chests drop loot when moved" as a toggleable option for when it would come in handy.

fakeedit: who am I kidding

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

flesh dance posted:

What a letdown. That would've been a huge quality of life improvement. I wonder how difficult it would be to implement "chests drop loot when moved" as a toggleable option for when it would come in handy.

fakeedit: who am I kidding

I've occasionally seen mods that do that and more, but I don't know of there are any that currently work.

See: all previous talks about the modding stability/maintained interest situation.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Nope, for some reason a lot of games like this make containers work like this and it's awful every time.
Probably in the interest of limiting inventory space so you can't just carry a bunch of full chests around.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

flesh dance posted:

Unlike games like Terraria, this is totally feasible within the engine and I know a mod has definitely done it, but no it's not in the vanilla game because the rule is organizing your storage has to be a pain in the loving rear end and the prospect of ever moving or redesigning your base/storage has to be so daunting and unenjoyable you'll never want to do it.

They could just give you some massive debuff or even prevent attacking while you're carrying filled inventories to make sure you don't cheat the system for infinite storage but no, better just take it out entirely because gently caress giving the players a sense of dynamism when it comes to their home base.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fighting more than one of anything is ridiculously more goddamn tedious than it should be when you're geared in the best armor you can craft. A proper dungeon is an exercise of corpse running back to whittle a few targets down and maybe kill one before the 5 of them obliterate you you a half-second.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Woebin posted:

Probably in the interest of limiting inventory space so you can't just carry a bunch of full chests around.

Or the inventory code doesn't want to get too recursive with chests inside chests.

I have to say that I found this a lot more fun in the alpha, and they appear to be heading in completely the wrong direction, but if they have time to burn, they have time to burn. Add my name to the list of people that feel that a slow walk backwards is *dumb*.

It's almost like they're trying to make it a 2D MMO. And everything that entails.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hav posted:

Or the inventory code doesn't want to get too recursive with chests inside chests.

I have to say that I found this a lot more fun in the alpha, and they appear to be heading in completely the wrong direction, but if they have time to burn, they have time to burn. Add my name to the list of people that feel that a slow walk backwards is *dumb*.

It's almost like they're trying to make it a 2D MMO. And everything that entails.

In Alpha the combat was extra super garbage, because armor didn't keep up. Tier 1 gear barely protected you from the top Tier 1 monsters, 2 lagged behind to only really protect against yop Tier 1 poo poo, 3 lagged further behind...you get the idea.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I just started playing again for the first time in 8 months and I think there's been some huge improvements.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Shnooks posted:

I just started playing again for the first time in 8 months and I think there's been some huge improvements.

Same.

I played up til the first boss wiped me, and was too depressed to check to see if the level had a "save point" yet or I would have to slog through the base from the beginning. The base is neat, and at least the combat and enemies were rebalanced so it didn't feel as grindy. Still have to go farm up vines and red stims and cheese that loving boss. God dang.

The new mini biomes and features are fantastic. Really good progress there. Beaming down into a bunch of collapsed, overgrown abandoned cabins was really cool (complete with a few flooded basements) and the perfect place to revive a colony I mean what could go wrong :v:

The log cabin blocks and cabin roof are sweet looking and appreciated. At least I no longer have the urge to cannibalize my house because "I'm just one wood short!":froggonk:

Farming I don't get the complaints. Rain waters outside crops automatically, and I am looking forward to setting up pipes and pumps and timers to farm underground or dry planets. Requiring water for growth stage progression didn't really impact my early game at all.

Oh and the unstable pocket dimensions are really cool, too!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Literally Kermit posted:

Same.

I played up til the first boss wiped me, and was too depressed to check to see if the level had a "save point" yet or I would have to slog through the base from the beginning. The base is neat, and at least the combat and enemies were rebalanced so it didn't feel as grindy. Still have to go farm up vines and red stims and cheese that loving boss. God dang.

The new mini biomes and features are fantastic. Really good progress there. Beaming down into a bunch of collapsed, overgrown abandoned cabins was really cool (complete with a few flooded basements) and the perfect place to revive a colony I mean what could go wrong :v:

The log cabin blocks and cabin roof are sweet looking and appreciated. At least I no longer have the urge to cannibalize my house because "I'm just one wood short!":froggonk:

Farming I don't get the complaints. Rain waters outside crops automatically, and I am looking forward to setting up pipes and pumps and timers to farm underground or dry planets. Requiring water for growth stage progression didn't really impact my early game at all.

Oh and the unstable pocket dimensions are really cool, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylDBf7o_YtM

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

I wiped my universe so I can rob explore a brand new land. Help me travel to exotic places, meet interesting people, and steal everything in sight.

alpaca

No mods needed, for some reason my custom ship still exists despite the mod for it being removed!

P.S. For playing with massive amounts of liquid, run in OpenGL, that fixed my lava issues

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

:golfclap: It works on so many levels!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you make full steel or whatever instead of iron armor, bandages should get you through the boss just fine.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Silento Boborachi posted:

I wiped my universe so I can rob explore a brand new land. Help me travel to exotic places, meet interesting people, and steal everything in sight.

alpaca

No mods needed, for some reason my custom ship still exists despite the mod for it being removed!

P.S. For playing with massive amounts of liquid, run in OpenGL, that fixed my lava issues

Guess I missed the bus on this one, or I can't access. Wanna bound the stars with people

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ZypherIM posted:

If you make full steel or whatever instead of iron armor, bandages should get you through the boss just fine.

Yeah, I did just that, switching between a shield and bandages and a two handed sword parry to soak up a little extra damage. I remembered the attack patterns from the old version, at least, it's just a departure going from killing a base full of fleshmans to strictly dodging magical diamond beams. Not a bad battle, although getting a book full of hints to its weakness only after beating it was a nice touch.

I was more upset I couldn't steal that rad drill machine at the end tbh

Oh, one gripe: you get one diamond for beating the boss, but will most likely have two quests at that point requiring one - the satellite dish repair and the MM liquid upgrade. I fixed the dish, then was left without a way to grab fuel until I remembered the infinity store sells it cheap.

Now it is time for floran quest for diamondsss. diamonds make ssship grow big, strong. Make magic wand move many kinds of watersss.

Fake edit: holy poo poo we can sell things and holy poo poo thorns are worth a lot of pixels

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I re-downloaded this with the new update. It's nowhere near done but I do feel it's finally starting to move in the right direction. I found a gun on the first world which is a big improvement, the little pixel containers drop bandages and rope which is great and the little set piece esthetics spice the planets up a bit. That being said the backward move slow feature is dumb, the fighting mooks isn't all that fun, and most of the guns, like the shotgun and machine pistol/gun, feel underpowered. I feel that there needs to be more varied and even biome specific set pieces, random enemys need to be more fun than different color attacks, maybe like a tunneler, enemys that can climb up trees and throw things at you, enemys that try and stay away from you and shoot at you, you know thing like that. Also the story mode needs to be more fleshed out and interesting. But all in all not a bad patch.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Breezed through titanium tier and Dreadwing last night. Dreadwing fight is still pretty cool, but I discovered he goes down FAST to thorn grenades. Two or three ruined his poo poo completely. It was the most appreciated anti-climax ever.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just remembered I had this when I saw the update; do they still have the stupid quest-and-boss based progression?

your gay

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So I actually did end up trying out the patch but the game still takes too long to get going since you have to do so much bullshit, like collecting core fragments and manipulator fragments, that I ended up playing Civ V instead.

There's just this constant feeling of having obstacles in the way of "the real game"... This game is like that friend who keeps telling you the real game starts at max level when you're playing a boring rear end MMO.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A quality post in GBS once more.
Oh wait.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Core fragments are pretty easy now. I've tried the game twice on my desktop and laptop and it always seems to spawn a newbie dungeon next to the spawn point that contains tons of boxes. By the time I got to the end, I had enough copper and iron to build all the starting tools and I was deep enough into the earth and with enough picks that I easily made it to the core fragments before all of my picks broke.

However, the manipulator is still a piece of poo poo. I haven't collected enough fragments yet to make it less poo poo and now I can't even craft pickaxes, so I just don't want to dig around anywhere. It isn't very fun.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

clockwork chaos posted:

Guess I missed the bus on this one, or I can't access. Wanna bound the stars with people

I'll do it again this saturday, I only had the server up for about 4 hours.

For the time being, I want to see just how much of a load the server puts on my computer and internet, and someother behaviors with the server, so every night (that I remember anyway) I will turn it on and just leave it running all day.

Tell me if anything's terrible other than it being starbound performance wise on it.

alpaca

It's up right now.

Edit: looking at the server and I see this:

Info: Placing dungeon outpost
Info: Generating dungeon outpost (NOT FORCED)
Info: Placing dungeon at (0, 500)
Info: Protected dungeonIds for world set to (0)
Info: Loading DanceDatabase
info: Done loading DanceDatabase in 0.00500011 seconds

So it made an outpost dungeon, activated its block protection, and then loaded a...dance database?
I don't know what this outpost is, but it must have some amazing nightlife

Silento Boborachi fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 1, 2015

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

So I actually did end up trying out the patch but the game still takes too long to get going since you have to do so much bullshit, like collecting core fragments and manipulator fragments, that I ended up playing Civ V instead.

There's just this constant feeling of having obstacles in the way of "the real game"... This game is like that friend who keeps telling you the real game starts at max level when you're playing a boring rear end MMO.

There is no "real game." Once you do all of the progression, it's over. There's no "free roam" activity to do. I played the new patch with a previous save that had all of the progression missions completed. I spent a few hours building a whole colony and that was it. There wasn't anything more. All the colonists do is give you seeds and other trash. There's no dialogue or interaction. There's no further exploration to do- everything is randomly generated but it's all the same. There's no economy. There's no plot. There's no dialogue or interesting NPCs. There are no hidden treasures that are worth anything. There's nothing to find. I uninstalled two days later. There needs to be some kind of overarching goal that just isn't in the game yet.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

I don't think there can be an overarching goal until, if ever, it is decided what kind of game starbound is going to be. Until that point, I would argue for the beta, the progression is the real game as we know it. An end game goal you really have to invent yourself. Plus, your arguments are just as applicable to other games in the genre. What is economy? What do you expect from scripted ai colonists? What is worth? Not 14.99 amirite guyz?

And there is totally free roaming activity, it's just pretty boring if you don't have a goal. You can fly wherever you want, you can mine the hell out of wherever you land, you can build just about anywhere, so I don't know what else you want out of "free roaming".

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure his point wasn't that there was no free roaming activity, but that all of the free roaming activity available is randomly generated setpieces and baby's first build-a-monsters that are roughly the same regardless of where you go or how far along you are, rendering it kind of meaningless and trite without anything to hold it together or give it substance/reason. Which, to Chucklefish's credit, is apparently something that's being worked on. I know they're trying to spin some sort of story with the warp gate and the big ominous monuments, but right now it's not really coming through.

The other problem he brought up that you glazed over is the fact that most or all of the quality-of-life features that would be really great to use for exploring are gated behind arbitrary progression that you have to slog your way through each and every time you start a new character/they patch the game, which kind of takes the wind out of people sails if they just want to get into it. By the time they grind their way through the tiers and unlock all the features they'd like to use for star-hopping across the universe or what-the-gently caress-ever, there's no actual point to it anymore.

The obvious answer to this is "just wait for the developers to finish fleshing it out," but they've already proved themselves incapable of that, suddenly deciding to rework core features of the game for no reason other than to make it more grindy for the players(???) or to "make it more like Dark Souls" or some poo poo. They lack a unified vision and are just kind of formlessly lashing out at whatever perceived problem they happen to think about at that moment in time and nothing constructive gets done because everyone's rolling around on the floor doing different things like a bunch of slack-jawed wunderkind. It's been like this for actual, literal, non-figurative years, and it's honestly baffling how little they've managed to get done in that time (besides moving everyone to England for some reason). They just keep on trucking on their own little mobius strip of failure, which honestly shouldn't surprise me anymore but somehow it does, every loving time they take one step forward and then gracefully swan-dive backwards off a goddamn cliff.

Yes, you can go wherever you want and build dumb little space castles, but it doesn't loving matter because there's nothing to do in them except die to birds or boredom. I don't even understand how there can be conversation about this anymore, when it's literally the same thing that's been happening since the last iteration of the thread, but all the same I just can't seem to find it in my heart to look away. It's like if Groundhog Day was about Pompeii or something.

Anyway I have no idea where I was going with this so I'm just going to wrap it up by saying I hate all of you, and also myself.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
I <3 Starbound~

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

stuntwaffle posted:

I <3 Starbound~

Join the party!

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

What? You can't figure out the meaning of life? Why people buy and seriously play street sweeping simulators? Me neither.

Groundhog day was a good movie. Additionally, while looking up the ratings it got at the time, I learned Bill Murray was bitten twice by a groundhog during the film shoot. Thanks internet.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Join the party!

I'll check it out after I defrag my dying laptop which can barely run Solitaire without chugging to an inexorable crawl. I hear the game is good now??????????

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

On another note, is there anyway to set a homeworld/initial spawnpoint for people joining a server?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would love for this game to have real reasons for flying off to other planets. I don't even care if they're silly npc radiant AI, randomly generated quests, I'll take them. Or trading; the ability to set up a trade route or delivery service from one planet to the next.

Or maybe some hostile space npcs!

Edit: actually, my number one suggestion is for asynchronous multiplayer features, like Animal Crossing, but in space. Messages, items, etc can be sent and received from anyone who has your username or something.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 2, 2015

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Yeh, I'd imagine there would be a content update based on multiplayer quality of life issues, but who knows when. I don't think it would be easily moddable either with all the backend stuff you'd have to do

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Messages, items, etc can be sent and received from anyone who has your username or something.

I can see it now...

Message from starboundkushlord-69

420 BLAZE IT human being

attached items 1000x dirtblocks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

coupedeville posted:

I can see it now...

Message from starboundkushlord-69

420 BLAZE IT human being

attached items 1000x dirtblocks

I would put up with this. Hey, who doesn't love getting mail?

"Dear sir or madam,

How are you today? I am in a heap of trouble, myself. I've become stranded on a distant plaent, and would fly away, but am in need of 243 diamonds. Once I am free, I will be able to deposit 5 million pixels into your account. Please send these diamonds as soon as possible! In God we trust!

Nakimbi, a poor Avian"

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Starbound Nigerian email scam

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Aspidiske Majoris, The Omnimalevo Cluster, The Fargle VIII Waste, Kalila Prime. One in 5 sentients in the universe live on less than 25 pixels a day. 5.4621989e+37 sentients across the universe are hungry. 27 percent of larval and pre-juvenile beings are underweight in the developing galaxies. 2.3^40 dihydrogen monoxidics die each year from lack of water. One in three mono- and Two in five multi- cellular sentient flora die prematurely or exhibit a disability because of malnutrition. For as little as 2 diamonds a month you can save a life/organic mass/drone phase existence and give hope, today.

• Locked thread