Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I Was There Too is my new favourite podcast. The Paul Rust episode is fascinating from start to finish.

Matt Gourley is also a great interviewer and always fun to be with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Jeff or Adam, if you're listening, I can get this howl thing humming for like $100k and 3 months of time. These stagebloc guys took you for a ride.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope Hayes + Sean don't get mysteriously assassinated for taking so many shots at Howl

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Besson posted:

I Was There Too is my new favourite podcast. The Paul Rust episode is fascinating from start to finish.

Matt Gourley is also a great interviewer and always fun to be with.

Gourley should be more famous than he is for a bunch of reasons.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Drunkboxer posted:

Gourley should be more famous than he is for a bunch of reasons.

I was so disappointed that he didn't have any role in Another Period other than the inserts :(. I really hope they find some way to include him in a speaking role in season two.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anyone hasn't given The Complete Woman a chance on Howl, it's got a great Superego feel to it in both humor and editing style. Not really a surprise, since Gourley is featured heavily.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"What else did I want to talk about... oh right you're doing the ad."

Hollywood Handbook best podcast

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Has anyone tried to develop tech to allow podcasters to insert new ads into old EPs automatically? I would think that could be an option for supporting old content.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

n8r posted:

Has anyone tried to develop tech to allow podcasters to insert new ads into old EPs automatically? I would think that could be an option for supporting old content.

I imagine it's a real big cliff that the number of listeners to an episode drops off after the first few weeks, like movies and video games for the most part. Still would be interesting to see the actual data on it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

So has anyone actually signed up past the free trial? A twitter follower just posted a screenshot showing that she's charged $5 every six months, but wasn't it monthly?

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

This download button thing is such a weird sticking point. It's like they're learning now what everyone else who started selling digital music learned over a decade ago.

Paste this in your console and you've got download buttons. Paying members only please!!!

code:
var a='data-stream-url';$('['+a+']').each(function(){var b=$(this),c=b.clone().attr('href',b.attr(a)).removeAttr(a),d='fa-play';c.find('.'+d).toggleClass(d+' fa-download');b.after(c);})

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Spraynard Kruger posted:

This download button thing is such a weird sticking point. It's like they're learning now what everyone else who started selling digital music learned over a decade ago.

Paste this in your console and you've got download buttons. Paying members only please!!!

code:
var a='data-stream-url';$('['+a+']').each(function(){var b=$(this),c=b.clone().attr('href',b.attr(a)).removeAttr(a),d='fa-play';c.find('.'+d).toggleClass(d+' fa-download');b.after(c);})

Well they kept saying they wanted to be like Netflix for podcasts or something to that effect. What they don't realize is they should be more like the Spotify. Which lets you download hard copies as long as you're a paying member. However their backend is a loving disaster.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

There's a mini ep of Womp It Up at the end of today's Sklarbro County. The whole episode is a delight though. I really want them four to write a pilot where they play each other's spouses.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Look who's Dunham now!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

"Our episodes are trapped inside the Howl and the only way to get them out is to pay for what used to be free"

"The old system was you had to search in some menu in iTunes and find the episode you wanted but now, HOWL, you just pay for the service, it's got this easy searchable menu, with only SOME of the shows from iTunes."
"And it used to be that you could use it on every phone, it's like, what am I gonna do with all these phones? so now you can only use it on some phones. Not most of them."

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Berzerker posted:

"Our episodes are trapped inside the Howl and the only way to get them out is to pay for what used to be free"

"The old system was you had to search in some menu in iTunes and find the episode you wanted but now, HOWL, you just pay for the service, it's got this easy searchable menu, with only SOME of the shows from iTunes."
"And it used to be that you could use it on every phone, it's like, what am I gonna do with all these phones? so now you can only use it on some phones. Not most of them."

Hollywood Handbook has been on quite a hot streak. I loved them talking about the terms of Taz and Bugs' friendship.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, this was the episode that I used to give HH another shot, mostly because I love Paul Rust. Those ads were incredible and the episode was solid, too. I think I'll try to listen to episodes with the sillier guests.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Heil Howl!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

There's a mini ep of Womp It Up at the end of today's Sklarbro County. The whole episode is a delight though. I really want them four to write a pilot where they play each other's spouses.

There isn't a WIU thread, is there? There hasn't been much talk of it in here. The last Gutterballs episode was really good.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
"And download iTunes, byeee" *everyone cracks up*
Best HH ending sting in a while too

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zsinjeh posted:

"And download iTunes, byeee" *everyone cracks up*
Best HH ending sting in a while too

Sam has a hard out.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I am currently listening to RSS through before I get into HH, and I want to apologize to everyone who proselytized for Hayes and Sean a year+ ago and got ignored.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Oddly enough I've stopped listening to HH since they went mainstream.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

I also liked "Netflix is kind of like Howl for movies"

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

a worthy uhh posted:

I am currently listening to RSS through before I get into HH, and I want to apologize to everyone who proselytized for Hayes and Sean a year+ ago and got ignored.
New Reality Show Show episodes as Howl exclusives and I'd almost forget all about the lovely Howl launch

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

piratepilates posted:

I imagine it's a real big cliff that the number of listeners to an episode drops off after the first few weeks, like movies and video games for the most part. Still would be interesting to see the actual data on it.

Yeah, but why put all that effort into the backlist element of the howl if they don't think there is value in it. The entire time they were stripping out the ads from the old EPs they could have been marking the locations for ad breaks and using some sort of a software solution to insert new ads. I am quite sure that smaller advertisers could be attracted to the old episodes, OR they could up their numbers for current advertisers by having the tech to insert the new ads.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

n8r posted:

Yeah, but why put all that effort into the backlist element of the howl if they don't think there is value in it. The entire time they were stripping out the ads from the old EPs they could have been marking the locations for ad breaks and using some sort of a software solution to insert new ads. I am quite sure that smaller advertisers could be attracted to the old episodes, OR they could up their numbers for current advertisers by having the tech to insert the new ads.

Considering they wrote their own streaming app, it would have been trivial to break the mp3s where they took out the old ads, then stream new ads at each break.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If I'm spending low-to-mid four figures to promote my business, there's no way in hell I want my ads in some old Comedy Bang Bang episode from 2013.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

If I'm spending low-to-mid four figures to promote my business, there's no way in hell I want my ads in some old Comedy Bang Bang episode from 2013.

Considering they wrote their own streaming app, they would know exactly what ads were played to how many listeners, and could get paid per ad play. It would be irrelevant what show or episode.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

a worthy uhh posted:

Considering they wrote their own streaming app, they would know exactly what ads were played to how many listeners, and could get paid per ad play. It would be irrelevant what show or episode.

If I'm paying Midroll to advertise my business, I don't want to pay them per ad play. I want to pay them X amount of dollars upfront to hear my ad on the latest episode of _____ because I know it will reach the most ears by default. And if I'm Midroll, I definitely don't want to be paid on a per-stream basis on four year old episodes behind a paywall.

I'm not even sure what kind of person, speaking in economic terms, listens to old episodes of podcasts. I consider myself a huge podcast nerd and the only podcasts I ever go back and listen to are random U Talking U2s/Analyze Phish to help me sleep... but only if nothing new is available. I have decent disposable income and the only product I've bought in 5 years was a Casper mattress, which was a necessity and not a "Oh hey, maybe I'll try Sherri's Berris."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So you'd rather spend low-to-mid four figures and only get ads in new episodes instead of both new and old for a probably negligible difference in price?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm not even sure what kind of person, speaking in economic terms, listens to old episodes of podcasts. I consider myself a huge podcast nerd and the only podcasts I ever go back and listen to are random U Talking U2s/Analyze Phish to help me sleep... but only if nothing new is available. I have decent disposable income and the only product I've bought in 5 years was a Casper mattress, which was a necessity and not a "Oh hey, maybe I'll try Sherri's Berris."

I only started listening to most Earwolf shows in the last few months, since I now have a fairly long commute to work. I have listened to a whoooole lot of Comedy Bang Bang, How Did This Get Made, etc episodes that were older than 6 months over the past while.

I basically only got into CBB because I went back and specifically listened to the Farts & Procreation episodes. And now sometimes I also just throw on the Solo Bolos or other great episodes when I'm doing something else and don't want to pay 100% attention.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 3, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

So you'd rather spend low-to-mid four figures and only get ads in new episodes instead of both new and old for a probably negligible difference in price?

Definitely, because the difference in listeners this week for the newest CBB and some random ep from 2011 is not negligible. Also, how will people know the ads are current and the coupon codes valid? Is there going to be a disclaimer before every episode or ad from here on out saying "This is not an old ad!" Also if you admit you're not paying 100% attention to old episodes in the background, another reason I don't want to spend money that could go towards my business in another way.

Wait, I just remembered ads are removed from old episodes in Howl Premium. Why are we even discussing this?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Also if you admit you're not paying 100% attention to old episodes in the background

I certainly paid attention when I was listening to them for the first time.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

n8r posted:

Probably easier to sell Howl itself by having one of the features be "a back catalogue of many episodes" than sell advertisers on the low amount of listeners over the entire back catalogue. By that I mean it's probably easier to get people to pay 5 bucks a month to get The Entire Earwolf Back Catalogue even if they don't really listen to that many of the episodes, than sell the actual numbers to advertisers.

It's probably also a decent idea since advertising money kinda sucks and has a good probability of drying up or changing dramatically in the future. A few online publications have already closed their doors because their advertisers stopped caring about their numbers and just pulled out. Not necessarily even their numbers going down, just people not caring in general.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Wait, I just remembered ads are removed from old episodes in Howl Premium. Why are we even discussing this?
Now they say this, but I've been listening to old HH and CBBs via howl and they still have all the old ads in um.

But I agree, youtube/hulu style ads, where they could precisely target you and old episodes would have fresh ads (no more expired SHOWSHOW codes), seems a much more modern system. But you probably couldn't get your prices low enough to have someone advertise on old eps of Nocturnal Emotions.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 3, 2015

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm not even sure what kind of person, speaking in economic terms, listens to old episodes of podcasts.

Probably someone who finds a podcast that's new to them and goes through the back episodes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I go to sleep to old episodes of CBB, and in that liminal state my mind is most vulnerable to advertisements.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I go to sleep to old episodes of CBB, and in that liminal state my mind is most vulnerable to advertisements.

Has this ever led to you having a dream where your father, with the face of your mother and both a bear's hand holding a knife and a hook hand, encourages you to fight him? Or is it all just Stamps.com in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mr. Squishy posted:

Extremely bliminal.

DESPICABLEME2