Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Also, did somebody say there's a place I can get this for $20 or am I on heroin again?

Someone did say this but you should probably confirm that you are not on heroin again, just in case.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/mad-max-pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this game loving rules i mean holy poo poo

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Blue Raider posted:

this game loving rules i mean holy poo poo

Truth. Kotaku and IGN are a bunch of crazy smegs who eat schlanger.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
so... is this game worth buying? Reviews have not been kind, but I've enjoyed games that have been trashed by reviewers before. Destiny comes to mind.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Truth. Kotaku and IGN are a bunch of crazy smegs who eat schlanger.

Did IGN take away the 84 they gave it? That's a pretty decent score, and about what I expected for this game.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyone know how to build projects yet? I have the parts for one but I'm not sure how to actually build it.
Go find it in the stronghold and assemble it there. Everyone should go make the cleanup crew one ASAP, because it means you never have to get out of your car to pick up scrap from destroyed vehicles in that area ever again.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

El Chingon posted:

so... is this game worth buying? Reviews have not been kind, but I've enjoyed games that have been trashed by reviewers before. Destiny comes to mind.

It's fine so far (about 2 hours in), nothing spectacular but there aren't a lot of open world car combat games like it right now. If I squint my eyes a little it's almost the Interstate 75 open world game I always wanted

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Chingon posted:

I've only played about 4 hours so far and I'm having a blast, and I don't think I've even scratched the surface of what is available/possible to do.

So as long as you share exactly the same opinions on games as me..... yes! :)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

El Chingon posted:

I much prefer it to MGS V, honestly. It doesn't do anything special for the genre, but it does everything pretty well. I'm not constantly rolling my eyes like I am with MGS V.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Blind Sally posted:

Did IGN take away the 84 they gave it? That's a pretty decent score, and about what I expected for this game.

Woops, musta been thinking of another site that gave it something like a 4 out of 10. Disregard! Yeah, 8/B+ is what I'd say is about right for this game thus far.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

El Chingon posted:

people have been getting it for $20 on PC.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Woops, musta been thinking of another site that gave it something like a 4 out of 10. Disregard! Yeah, 8/B+ is what I'd say is about right for this game thus far.

Polygon gave it a 5.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Polygon gave it a 5.

Must be pretty good then as polygon is bad and poo poo, run by dumbs, and scum.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Took down one of the Top Dogs, got the Black Tar paint for my Opus:

So glad that Wild Hunt is one of the starter bodies, and i'm really stoked that this game has a Capture mode so I can pause the action and get some really cool screenshots. It's basically everything I could have ever asked for out of a Mad Max game and then some :h:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: oh no wrong thread

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

El Chingon posted:

dude this game owns. its red dead with a mad max filter

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

how did this game get poo poo scores? i do not understand it

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Blue Raider posted:

I wouldn't go that far. The game is fun as hell though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For anyone concerned - this game runs smooth as fuckin' butter. I have lenovo y510p with 755m SLI that kinda struggled at times with Shadows of Morder, but this runs as well as anything I've ever tried with it. Probably as good as GTAV, better than Ground Zeroes ran. I mean I can run this thing at max (but it gets pretty fuckin' hot).
Also the dog is adorable. Every game needs a dog sidekick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm half tempted to take a gamble on my 560Ti.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS
Really enjoyed tossing a flaming gas can at a bunch of war boys, shotgunning a since holding up an insane drummer boy, and then having Max beat the poo poo out of the rest of the war boys in the camp with his bare hands.

Yeah, it might get old if I do that again for seventy hours straight, but for right now, I'm loving it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm half tempted to take a gamble on my 560Ti.

The numbers between our cards actually come out pretty drat comparable, so I'm pretty sure you'd be running it at 1080 if not with all things maxed out.

For reference http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2017&gid2=463&compare=geforce-gt-755m-sli-vs-geforce-gtx-560-ti

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Speaking of the drummer guys, they have some of the best lines if you kill all the War Boys in their area and leave them alive just hanging out. I had one ask Max if he needed a crier, said he had a lot of experience :allears:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Some War Boy just called Max "The Raggedy Man." :swoon:

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I'm dumb and don't know a better way of posting an encounter I had earlier

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/a19c32a2-161d-4493-af8d-361b008c7b9b?gamerTag=Molekulo&scid=cd5f0100-470b-47ba-9540-8c8378fb3a14

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I like Red Dead because it was a quiet, well realized, and beautiful world in which I could read a newspaper and play some cards when I wasn't popping people off their horses. Is it like Red Dead in that way?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Blue Raider posted:

how did this game get poo poo scores? i do not understand it

For real. I can at least understand the ones that say "it's good, but doesn't change the world" because all open world games require you to buy in to their take on it. But actual Bad Reviews saying this is an actual Bad Game makes no sense at all.

El Chingon posted:

gently caress the reviews, this game is awesome. Niche open world games have never reviewed well, unless they come from one of the big companies. Remember how they all sneered at Sleeping Dogs as another GTA clone, later to all look like idiots as it became an absolute fan favourite.

Open world games are my thing. I've got 120 hours in Saints Row 2, 90 hours in Sleeping Dogs, 75 in The Saboteur, 100 in Saints Row 3, 130 hours in GTA V, probably 150 in Red Dead, 65 hours in Just Cause 2. Most of those I've completed twice over pretty much. I don't just complete them, I do lots of fannying around trying to make my own fun. And I'm telling you that Mad Max is right up there with them, and I already know I'm going to spend 100 hours in this world just smashing cars up and having a good time.

So you have a negative Kotaku review written by a guy who boasts he was only playing it because he was paid to write the review, versus all the positive feedback in this thread. Don't mind if you want to wait until it's cheap (it's already cheap on PC) but anyone who tells you this game isn't worth playing is a goddamn loving idiot who knows nothing about games.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha, same thing happened to me in I'm pretty sure the same location, but I was up on the roof of a little shack just off to the left of where you were. Watching him cartwheel through the air is hilarious.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno what everyone's complaining about with scores. It's averaged around 73 on metacritic which is exactly what most expected, that isn't a bad score. And it doesn't matter anyway.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

T1g4h posted:

Speaking of the drummer guys, they have some of the best lines if you kill all the War Boys in their area and leave them alive just hanging out. I had one ask Max if he needed a crier, said he had a lot of experience :allears:

The rule is you don't kill a war crier... Not sure if you're aware

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

gently caress the ROW posted:

The rule is you don't kill a war crier... Not sure if you're aware

I try not to. I'll usually leave them just chilling out while I go about my business of clearing out the rest of the camp because I love their dialogue :v:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I like Red Dead because it was a quiet, well realized, and beautiful world in which I could read a newspaper and play some cards when I wasn't popping people off their horses. Is it like Red Dead in that way?

No. I have no idea where that comparison came from.

Mad Max is Just Cause 2, no wait, actually 3. And this makes sense coming from the dev that made it.

The open world is filled with waaaaaay more poo poo then you'd ever need to go see. It expects you to collect a thousand times more stuff then you'd ever willingly go collect in your lifetime. It has systems in place to facilitate the crazy people like me, who want to blow up every single structure/scavenge every bit of scavenge/find all the history relics/whatever with my strange OCD compulsion. While yet also offering up convoys/camps/strongholds to go gently caress with if you just want to get the threat down quickly so you can move on to the next part of the story/map.

The gameplay is inherently shallow, but that's whats so rewarding about it. Blowing up 5-10 cars in a convoy all by yourself, only to jump into the sniper rifle to kill the fleeing car is satisfying. Fighting a group of 20 thugs, only to get a Fury proc so Max starts suplexing everyone is stupidly imbalanced in favor of Max. But who cares, it's fun, and it looks good. The main plot drops all semblance of caring about itself within the first 5 minutes, and is entirely a setup for you to murder your way through the entire Wasteland for 40-80 hours.

Mad Max is entirely a cinematic explosive game built for loving around. And it does that damned well. But if you didn't like Just Cause 2, because it felt like everything was locked behind Chaos/blowing poo poo up, well, Mad Max is that exact same setup all over again.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
"Hey Saint, let's go visit Pink Eye!"

Because that following a stranger is surely a sign of good times to come. Too bad getting in the mission start spot cancelled the storm, I wanted to rip and tear with lightning all around again.

Also the triple barreled shotgun is some Torque poo poo.

NINETY-SEVEN PERCENT OF STANK GUM'S WAR BOYS IN THE GREAT WHITE AREN'T GETTING THEIR GUTS SHOT OUT. THAT'S BULLSHIT.

:black101:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The harpoon makes it all so clear, if you've played JC2 and then when you realize Avalanche have somehow managed to put their signature tool of insanity, the harpoon, in this game too then it makes a lot more sens.

Another day taking awesome screenies and smashing cars with the best looking and sounding explosions my rig has produced.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

The harpoon makes it all so clear

Chumbucket is so pleased :buddy:

He's uhhh

Really pleased.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The flare gun command to have Chum bring over the car also works when he's pretty close. Instead of shooting up a flare, Max will shout over to him to drive it over.

Letting a camp get alerted by taking too long taking down perimeter defences and they fire off red/yellow flares identical to those in Fury Road. I absolutely buy into this being the same world as the movie.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Game does indeed own. Won't change the world but if you're looking for a Mad Max game, then this won't steer (:haw:) you wrong.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

whoa!

So.. how's Mad Max going? I wonder how's the thread is looking the day after release..

ENDLESS AMAZING SCREENSHOTS

:stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Parkingtigers posted:

Letting a camp get alerted by taking too long taking down perimeter defences and they fire off red/yellow flares identical to those in Fury Road. I absolutely buy into this being the same world as the movie.

The main villain is (was? given the intro lol) a descendant of Immortan Joe and there are war boys all over the drat place, there's pretty much no doubt that it is. Like in the movies, however, that doesn't really matter all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

This game is insanely pretty sometimes :allears:

• Locked thread