Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pratan posted:

Any good places to ghetto fear kite my way up to 55ish?

I ground out the nobles in highkeep until 54 when they turn green, probably wouldnt even have to fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Anyone available to do a transfer in EC?
Edit: took care of it

Summit fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 1, 2015

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Dirt posted:

More new rules! :

No more Rogue/Shaman twinks with epic I guess.

MQ's will probably still sell for a decent amount though.

Now they just need to NOT CLASSICALLY restrict the fungi to get rid of even more twinks.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I wish the epic changes were in earlier.

I started a rogue as my first char and it has been really irritating trying to compete with rage bringer rogues.

In related news, I snuck through a fully spawned hate and nabbed my book of souls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Thinking about rolling a melee class to get a break from druid here and there, decided on SK, agonizing over race choice.
I really don't want to be a Ogre or Troll. They're hideously ugly and they're huge.

But drat, it seems like they're the way to go because of slam. That seems really good? Without it you've gotta wear a shield and bash, but 2h weapons seem pretty great.
Then Troll also has regen, which is huge. But that xp penalty hurts so bad on top of SK.

I think I've narrowed it down to Dark elf or Iksar, both sound like fun. Iksar's got the health regen but more exp penalty. Hm.
Is making an SK without slam a huge mistake?

Dirt posted:

More new rules! :

No more Rogue/Shaman twinks with epic I guess.

MQ's will probably still sell for a decent amount though.

I am all for this, but what about "its classic!" ? :cheeky:

Its been said before, but the devs are all for bending the rules on classic when it comes to loving people over, just not when it comes to helping people.

Still I can't afford epic twinks so I'm cool with nobody else getting them either.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Thinking about rolling a melee class to get a break from druid here and there, decided on SK, agonizing over race choice.
I really don't want to be a Ogre or Troll. They're hideously ugly and they're huge.

But drat, it seems like they're the way to go because of slam. That seems really good? Without it you've gotta wear a shield and bash, but 2h weapons seem pretty great.
Then Troll also has regen, which is huge. But that xp penalty hurts so bad on top of SK.

I think I've narrowed it down to Dark elf or Iksar, both sound like fun. Iksar's got the health regen but more exp penalty. Hm.

Its been said before, but the devs are all for bending the rules on classic when it comes to loving people over, just not when it comes to helping people.

Still I can't afford epic twinks so I'm cool with nobody else getting them either.

I do remember Epics not being equippable before 46, and this was Velious era iirc.

I'm okay with this because it might be a big source of RMT on the server.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Zaphod42 posted:

If you roll Iksar, I can craft you cultural armor (lol Banded armor) or do the Dreadscale armor quests to help you get started.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

If you roll Iksar, I can craft you cultural armor (lol Banded armor) or do the Dreadscale armor quests to help you get started.

I really like dark elves and I grew up in Neriak back in the real 1999, but I haven't played much Iksar at all so maybe I should try that out. I'm down for new experiences.

The exp penalty hurts pretty bad, but the regen is nice and at least the SK penalty should be going away before too long...

This'll just be an alt for variety here and there though, so I may not be playing enough to be worth you going way out of your way to help me do quests or whatever. Still, I appreciate it and may take you up on that.

I've got a few items in my bank that should help starting out as SK easier, like a sarnak emblazened tabard and a decent 2h sword, some okay armor pieces here and there.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Slam doesn't really matter honestly. It's nice to have but it won't be a deal breaker. If you're worried about min-maxing, being a subpar race like Human or DE will hurt you a lot more than not having Slam.

Some of your best weapons (Ebon Mace, Noct Blade, Mace of the Shadowed Soul) are 1handers. Noct Blade + Atra shield is a great combo and fairly cheap for how good it is. 1H + Shield is usually preferable to 2H unless you're trying to DPS, which SKs aren't very good at anyway.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Just worth mentioning, all races can bash using the 2H SK and Pal epics, so that decision doesn't matter much for the end-game. Ogre is the master SK min/max race because you don't get bashed while trying to FD off a herd of mobs or when casting your aggro/lifetap/etc. spells in combat.

That said, my SK is a troll because it's my favorite old school model.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh god, who designed Cabilis? This is my first time really exploring it in detail and I can't loving handle all these awful ladders.

They even created a nice slanted-ladder model which is super easy to climb but for some reason they still use straight-up ladders all over the place, many of which seem to require you to make a jumping leap off the top to reach the next level? (:psyduck:)

I may seriously go back to dark elf just to get out of this loving city. What am I doing wrong? How do I loving climb a ladder? lol.

E: Downloaded WinEQ2 and now I can actually climb the ladders, must have been some bug with my CPU running too fast or something. Still, its gone from "literally impossible" to "extremely frustrating", its still tricky to jump off the ladders. And the city is full of froglok slaves that agro? What the hell?
Maybe I'll say 'gently caress min-maxing' and just play the dark elf. Playing on WinEQ2 also seems to make the game kinda choppy.

E2: Okay wow, that health regen is pretty insane. Maybe I'll stick with it a bit.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 1, 2015

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Cabilis is kind of a pain in the rear end at first, but it's also pretty small. Three rules: Don't go in the water unless you have to, stay away from the froglok slaves until level 6 or so, and don't go exploring in the SK/Shaman guild.. you'll eventually get stuck in a maze that's annoying to get out of.

Everything you need is in East Cabilis. When facing the SK/Shaman guild with your back to the water, Field of Bone is to the right behind the building. The bank is behind you, to the left. Food/drink can be found on the vendors near the West Cabilis zone line.

WinEQ2 limits your framerate to ~60 by default, which may seem choppy if you're used to 100+ FPS. You can change the options in the EQPlayNice area of the configuration to increase your framerate.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

faulteroy posted:

Cabilis is kind of a pain in the rear end at first, but it's also pretty small. Three rules: Don't go in the water unless you have to, stay away from the froglok slaves until level 6 or so, and don't go exploring in the SK/Shaman guild.. you'll eventually get stuck in a maze that's annoying to get out of.

Everything you need is in East Cabilis. When facing the SK/Shaman guild with your back to the water, Field of Bone is to the right behind the building. The bank is behind you, to the left. Food/drink can be found on the vendors near the West Cabilis zone line.

WinEQ2 limits your framerate to ~60 by default, which may seem choppy if you're used to 100+ FPS. You can change the options in the EQPlayNice area of the configuration to increase your framerate.

the EQPlayNice is awesome for that. I have my FPS set to 100 foreground and background, i can finally tab out and not immediately sink when levitated, however i actually take fall damage now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

iNteg posted:

the EQPlayNice is awesome for that. I have my FPS set to 100 foreground and background, i can finally tab out and not immediately sink when levitated, however i actually take fall damage now.

Oh nice, yeah I've noticed the alt-tab dropping me like a stone when levitating and was wondering what that was about.

Also I've seen my HP and MP go up and down back and forth which was really confusing. (No doubt the client was estimating one value and then the server was like "hell no, you haven't healed that much yet" and the client kept thrashing back and forth)

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I always thought it was a really bizarre thing that your local client framerate actually affects your character's position as far as the server is concerned when using levitate. That seems pretty ripe for potential exploitation, but this is eq1 I guess.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Relayer posted:

I always thought it was a really bizarre thing that your local client framerate actually affects your character's position as far as the server is concerned when using levitate. That seems pretty ripe for potential exploitation, but this is eq1 I guess.

In ffxi you could speed hack (and get banned by accident) if your cpu was overclocked. It just seems to be a thing from games in that era.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

faulteroy posted:

I always found if i was auto-running from west to east i would end up in the water on loading, but if i clicked off autorun and manually moved forward into the west/east zone it wouldnt poop me out into the water.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
Norrathmap is dead, anyone have the link to the goon made mapping program?

edit: ahahah it was on the first page of this thread. i helped myself tonight.

Not_Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 2, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

megalodong posted:

In ffxi you could speed hack (and get banned by accident) if your cpu was overclocked. It just seems to be a thing from games in that era.

I had that happen in EQ back in live actually. On accident once while playing with an overclocked machine back in like 2000 suddenly the whole game was really really fast. Like I would hit auto-attack and then instantly 30 rounds of combat text would pop up all at once. I would start running and move faster than if I had a sow than if I didn't. I put in a /petition about it and then went running around EC at lightspeed. By the time the GM responded I kinda regretted putting in a ticket because it was helping me level faster, but he told me I had to log out and restart the game, which fixed it. Oh well, fun stuff! :downs:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
You guys know anything about Enchanter research? I got A Faded Velishoul's Tome Page, and I cast Identify on it for about a hundred times but it all it says is Item Lore: A Faded Velishoul's Tome Page. No page number, nothing. I googled it, I crawled through wiki's and forum posts, I can't find anything but the straightforward actions that I've already been doing: hold the page, cast identify.

What am I doing wrong?

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

eqtraders says put it in your research book by itself and press combine

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

Norrathmap is dead, anyone have the link to the goon made mapping program?

edit: ahahah it was on the first page of this thread. i helped myself tonight.

In the same boat and now that I have made the switch, Pilsner's tool is way better. Thanks dude!

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

a real jerk posted:

eqtraders says put it in your research book by itself and press combine

Ah that seems to work! I got a skill failure message and the item disappeared, so on a success that'll probably result in the non-faded page.

Thanks!

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right

Meatgrinder posted:

Ah that seems to work! I got a skill failure message and the item disappeared, so on a success that'll probably result in the non-faded page.

Thanks!

It is a blank page that turns into something you hopefully need. Won't be the same page every time, as far as I know!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Summit posted:

Ogre or Iksar would be the best choice but I went with Human to see a different side of things. I was curious about the challenge of being a 'good' race but a bad class. I've also never seen much of the Qeynos side of the continent. Freeport would be more ideal leveling for sure and I'll probably head over there eventually, but it was not an option (probably because I went with Bertox as a religion). So far I'm not regretting the choice, even if it's slower. It's very immersive to be concerned about faction. I'm checking around corners constantly and of course I have to go into the sewers to train/sell for max value. Feels like being a real evil dude rather than just another Ogre in Ogretown. So far I've run into two NPCs that were KOS, one in a sewing shop who must have been upstairs from the entrance. The other was a Barbarian in the bar near the docks. Not sure what faction they are on since I am able to walk around freely past the guards and merchants otherwise.

Anyone have any good stories about rarer class combos? Advantages in the way of items people aren't normally familiar with? On live my main was a human ranger. Not many people were really aware that was an option so I would commonly get comments about thinking I was a Rogue until I cast a spell. Wasn't much different beyond that though. You start in Surefall Glade which is a neat little out of the way zone for human druids and rangers. It's opposite Qeynos. I made my way over to elf lands pretty quickly though, having always been more familiar with those zones.
There's also the elusive Erudite Paladin, who could look forward to this:

Shield of the Stalwart Seas

As far as I recall, rolling a Erudite Paladin was/is something people do only in two cases:

1) Ignorance
2) Intentionally rolling the weakest possible class and race combo for the heck of it

:D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Another funky but good class/race combo, Halfling warrior can be surprisingly good. You can use the sneak to pull like a rogue.

Now what about especially terrible class/race combos that you'd only play by accident or as a challenge?
Erudite Paladin is a good one, I would imagine Gnome and Wood Elf warrior is pretty rough, Human casters seem to have pretty bad starting stats.

Hahaha, just stumbled across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFXUYl2ljqI now I want to roll a dwarf.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Apparently early in EQ development erudites were known as "High men" :350: (similar to 'high elves')

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Erudite Cleric has some advantages, but is different with some unique items and style.

Iksar warriors are a special challenge, especially in Kunark where your armor options are limited to chain. There's a light at the end of the tunnel when you're AC and natural regen keeps you purple clubbing into a Complete Heal, but playing one to 60 was definitely an exercise in masochism.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I have about 750pp, what's the best thing I could buy for a low level Shadowknight to make life a little easier? I do have a Circlet of Shadow (pre nerf) already which I sank basically all my plat into awhile back. I don't think I could afford it now so that was a good decision.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Summit posted:

I have about 750pp, what's the best thing I could buy for a low level Shadowknight to make life a little easier? I do have a Circlet of Shadow (pre nerf) already which I sank basically all my plat into awhile back. I don't think I could afford it now so that was a good decision.

I have a Rod of Lamentation in EC you can have. Spend 200pp on SoW pots and another 500pp on Platinum Fire Wedding Rings, last 50pp on Banded?

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Haukadalur Geezer posted:

In the same boat and now that I have made the switch, Pilsner's tool is way better. Thanks dude!

the only thing that i wish pilsner's tool did was when updating location the X animated from last location to current location instead of just jumping from last location to current location. It's a small thing, but that animation let me know if i was headed in the right direction. No complaints though, you did a good job pilsy.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Completed my Words of Darkness quest, and only lost 2.5 blue bubs net in the process. Challenging at lvl 30 but drat fun.

Summit posted:

Pair of gold or plat fire wedding rings and a set of banded. Solid starter gear there.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

More goons need to play P1999.

You guys missed drunk metal band chat tonight.

Shame.

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
So my friend and I just started playing on Blue a little while ago, and we are both about to hit 20. Been duoing with his SK and my Shaman. I read before that it was a pretty good duo, and that a Shaman in general was great as a duo partner, but its been getting fairly rough. We generally have him pull something, I attack speed slow it and try to med as much as possible for heals. Is this just not what we are supposed to be doing? Are these just rough levels for us, since I haven't gotten my good buffs yet? Do we just need better gear, or does the duo just suck? I never played back in the day and he did but barely got anywhere. Not a ton of experience at this. Just wondering if there is something we can do to make things go better.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

the only thing that i wish pilsner's tool did was when updating location the X animated from last location to current location instead of just jumping from last location to current location. It's a small thing, but that animation let me know if i was headed in the right direction. No complaints though, you did a good job pilsy.
That's a pretty cool idea. I'm thinking I could quickly flash a line from the old to the new point, if the distance is longer than a reasonable amount of pixels. I'll put it on the todo list.

Zaphod42 posted:

Apparently early in EQ development erudites were known as "High men" :350: (similar to 'high elves')
Hey you weren't kidding:

https://youtu.be/w6_1xi_ItXM?t=11s

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 3, 2015

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Dirt posted:

Shame.

Was too busy poopsocking trakanon. -_-

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Swarm kite swarm kite swarm kite?

Swarm kite swarm kite, swarm kite swarm kite swarm kite!!!!!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I have a Rod of Lamentation in EC you can have. Spend 200pp on SoW pots and another 500pp on Platinum Fire Wedding Rings, last 50pp on Banded?

Awesome! Will you be on tonight? I'll probably be around EC around 7 CST. (this was for blue by the way)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pilsner posted:

That's a pretty cool idea. I'm thinking I could quickly flash a line from the old to the new point, if the distance is longer than a reasonable amount of pixels. I'll put it on the todo list.

While we're talking "nice to have" features, if you could have a "breadcrumb mode" where it'd keep a history of your past locs, possibly as different colored dots, would be super useful. Especially if you could draw a line between them so you had a rough version of your path.

It'd also be nice if you could automatically detect "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT" that isn't followed by "You have entered <zone>" so you can tell the player died, and then if they do a /loc rather than deleting the old loc, keep it on the map as a "corpse waypoint". (Well, I guess if you weren't bound in-zone it'd be followed by a zone switch so it'd be hard to parse deaths from the log, hm.) Well, does it just log "you have died" ? That'd be easy.

Good bit of work to implement though, and I don't know how far you can go before 1999 thinks its cheating. Catching a /loc before you die should be fair game though.

Dirt posted:

Shame.

Seriously drunk metal chat was good times.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

MageMage posted:

Swarm kite swarm kite swarm kite?

Swarm kite swarm kite, swarm kite swarm kite swarm kite!!!!!

I cant swarm kite:(