Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't even realize it was that way until I took off the shrinkwrap and it started coming apart. The other kick in the balls is that we're actually using the "premium" content, so you could go ahead and buy a used book, but you'll have to shell out the total cost of the book for the online code anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

College schoolbooks are the worst kind of scam and they can all rot in hell.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Within ten years all the ebook versions will be on pirate bay.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I'm at just shy of $500 for the semester :emo:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Does Capital One still do that card creator or whatever

yup

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The really bizarre thing is that the school bookstore was actually cheaper for both of the books I had to buy this semester than Amazon. Back when I was in community college they wanted me to take a number before I could even enter the bookstore, which I found out when a rent-a-cop yelled at me. So rather than wait around for 3 hours just to get inside, I went home, ordered everything on Amazon, one-day'd it to myself, and took a nap. Even with the one-day shipping on 4 or 5 books I still ended up saving something like $50.

I kind of lucked out this semester. One of my classes is a continuation of another class so we're using the same book. Another doesn't have a book.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Stultus Maximus posted:

Steve Job's next target after breaking the music and movie industry was school textbooks

too bad he died

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

yeah but that won't include the key the the dumb bullshit software that you'll have to buy too because gently caress textbooks and gently caress their publishers

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah my bookstore was like that too at the beginning of the semester, you had to schedule an appointment to go in. I just used Amazon or whatever the predecessor website was that you could order schoolbooks from.

gently caress you college bookstore, suck my dick from the back.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Stultus Maximus posted:

They already are. Poor-rear end students can't afford to keep shelling out $300 on a textbook they may or may not need for each and every course they take.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Naked Bear posted:

They already are. Poor-rear end students can't afford to keep shelling out $300 on a textbook they may or may not need for each and every course they take.

What area are you in? I've only found two books.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:perfect:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Force de Fappe posted:

So letting customers design their own bank cards wasn't such a great idea as it turns out.

:chanpop:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wondered if MML@navy.mil was on the ashley madison leak.

Luckily my wife falls into that particular demographic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The next logical step is the technology to print animated gifs on credit cards.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Steve Job's next target after breaking the music and movie industry was school textbooks

too bad he died
Nah, he was a oval office.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
my gfs nephew from china stays with us for school. his parents pay the school $30k a year for him to go there. the school does not provide textbooks. they also do not give you a list of what books you need until after school has already started.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
If any presidential candidate wants to tackle college reform they should deal with the ridiculous poo poo publishers do. The online code bullshit. The updated editions with different problems so you are never quite on the same page as the prof.

For graduate school my wife is renting her books from Amazon. Pretty cheap that way.

When I was finishing my degree some professors were making custom editions with McGraw hill. Basically you pick and choose what content you want and in what order it goes. That way you can't find a used copy because it's always the first edition. Such scummy bullshit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

The next logical step is the technology to print animated gifs on credit cards.

This is probably possible but would be absurdly expensive and lovely.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I could deal with a lot of expense in exchange for having meatspin on my credit card.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Force de Fappe posted:

I could deal with a lot of expense in exchange for having meatspin on my credit card.

Customized gift cards.

Edit: 24 cards with either goatse or meatspin would exchange hands every gip secret santa.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

Customized gift cards.

Edit: 24 cards with either goatse or meatspin would exchange hands every gip secret santa.

you could probably get some of those lenticularly printed cards that change what you see depending on the angle so that you could get the spinning effect.

Here's a place where you can order custom ones http://gifpop.io

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 2, 2015

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I wanna make one with goatse and tubgirl so whichever way you look at it you lose.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Some would call that winning :shrug:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've gone on a hell of a streak with being able to find text books online or super cheap using abebooks.com

My arcgis professor told me about that site. India has the loving jam on low cost textbooks.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

My ArcGIS professors never made me buy schoolbooks, they would just scan the relevant sections from the library copy and host it on the classroom website.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So I'm sitting in the library annex 10 minutes ago about to leave to go to class. Some not right looking in the head old lady walks through, looks at the "alarm will sound" sticker on the back door, seems to process it, then goes through anyway. Gets all startled by the alarm, and locks herself out. My enlisted instincts kick in and I quickly get up and leave because I've got places to be, and don't feel like sticking around to explain what happened. I heard her banging on the door to be let in as I was walking away.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Anyone else getting slammed with eBenefits email today? I'm at 40+ so far, lots of repeats and most of them apply to people who are just now getting out.

Tempted to mark 'em as spam but I can't remember if eBenefits ever sends important updates via email.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've gotten nothing from them

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Tuition includes my books at school. $800 booze fund

Sucks for everyone else tho

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Waterboarding at guantanamo bay sounds rad as hell if you don't know what either of those things are

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Cool, surfing!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds kinda like stand up paddle boarding, sign me up!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Two Finger posted:

Waterboarding at guantanamo bay sounds rad as hell if you don't know what either of those things are

Post stolen from reddit.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Crock pot Talk:

Any of you fellow gippers tried making lasagna in a crock pot?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Leather Bear posted:

Post stolen from reddit.

Trap sprung.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Leather Bear posted:

Post stolen from reddit.

From my friend's Facebook page actually. Never said it was mine

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!