Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But people who actually live their lives like that are savages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mulva posted:

Probably because the reason he wanted to preserve wild spaces, was so that he could shoot things in them. Which is antithetical to the goals of most conservation groups.

Not... really? At least in my area, hunters and conservationists, as groups, have lots of overlap, the conservationists are generally in support of regulated hunting and the hunters are large funders of the conservation effort.

Sure, there are areas where conservations and hunters diverge in that the hunters don't really care, but hunting in and of itself is hardly antithetical to the goals of conservation groups.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Jack of Hearts posted:

So long as you don't hunt things to the point that they're endangered, what's wrong with shooting things? I was under the apparent misapprehension that conservationists got along all right with hunters. It's industry that does the real damage.

Obviously it depends on the conservationists. The ones that actually get anything done seem to be fine with managed hunting, and in some cases hunting is kind of necessary since natural predators have been extirpated. The greater environmental movement has a tendency to misplace its efforts though - look at something like fracking, nuclear power or coal industry concern trolling over "wind power kills birds."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

AbbadonOfHell posted:

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/08/29/unc-s-literature-911-course-sympathizes-terrorists-paints-us-imperialistic

Let's completely ignore all the screwing around in the Middle East we've been doing for decades.

The original author of the article is unironically wearing a bowtie in his photo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mulva posted:

Probably because the reason he wanted to preserve wild spaces, was so that he could shoot things in them. Which is antithetical to the goals of most conservation groups.

There's a pretty significant overlap between conservationists and hunters, or at least there is in my locality.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GlyphGryph posted:

Not... really? At least in my area, hunters and conservationists, as groups, have lots of overlap, the conservationists are generally in support of regulated hunting and the hunters are large funders of the conservation effort.

Sure, there are areas where conservations and hunters diverge in that the hunters don't really care, but hunting in and of itself is hardly antithetical to the goals of conservation groups.

It probably does have to do with locality, here in the PNW most environmentalists see hunters as one level below hate group members.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's a pretty significant overlap between conservationists and hunters, or at least there is in my locality.

It really really depends on the subject and the goals. Preserving wetlands, for instance, will have lots of overlap and groups like Ducks Unlimited are big supporters of conservation efforts there. But when it comes to, say, reintroducing wolves, weeeeeeeeellll let's not get too hasty with this whole conservationism thing. They might start chasing the deer around and make it hard to walk directly up to a deer and shoot it in the face. Also, a lot of hunters are perfectly happy with restricting access to hunters only and pushing conservation efforts to maximize huntable species rather than whats best for a healthy ecosystem. Lots of them are anti-beaver as well because they are seen as "destructive". Point being, there's lots of disagreements and that while hunting organizations can be conservationist allies, they aren't really interested in conservation for its own sake.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Walsh's has peculiar response

quote:

This Kim Davis thing in Kentucky: she's been married 4 times. Hard to stand for sanctity of marriage when in a state of perpetual adultery

The harsh truth is that Kim Davis, by Biblical teaching, should have been denied the last three marriage licenses she applied for herself

As a woman in a perpetual state of rejecting the sanctity of marriage, Kim Davis is an ineffective symbol for the sanctity of marriage

It's also hard to justify taking a paycheck from the state while refusing to do your job. Honorable thing is to step down in protest.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The original author of the article is unironically wearing a bowtie in his photo

Well don't most of those college Republicans? Bow-ties do really make me wanna slap a person too if they aren't a waiter or in a wedding though.

Edit: I'll even let the Nation of Islam guys slide a little because it actually works for em despite them being crazy as poo poo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It really really depends on the subject and the goals. Preserving wetlands, for instance, will have lots of overlap and groups like Ducks Unlimited are big supporters of conservation efforts there. But when it comes to, say, reintroducing wolves, weeeeeeeeellll let's not get too hasty with this whole conservationism thing. They might start chasing the deer around and make it hard to walk directly up to a deer and shoot it in the face. Also, a lot of hunters are perfectly happy with restricting access to hunters only and pushing conservation efforts to maximize huntable species rather than whats best for a healthy ecosystem. Lots of them are anti-beaver as well because they are seen as "destructive". Point being, there's lots of disagreements and that while hunting organizations can be conservationist allies, they aren't really interested in conservation for its own sake.

Around here the people most strongly opposed to the reintroduction of wolves are farmers and sheep ranchers, for obvious reasons. Hunters are actually fairly neutral-leaning-towards-positive on wolves, not the least of which because they'd like a regular wolf season.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why do so many of these southern price/white supremacist idiots flaunt being 1/8th cherokee or whatever? What did native americans do to earn honourary aryan status?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_American_Civil_War#cite_ref-aa_2-10

"The Cherokee Nation had an internal civil war.[2] The Nation divided, with one side led by Principal Chief John Ross and the other by renegade Stand Watie.[2] Chief John Ross wanted to remain neutral throughout the war, but Confederate victories at First Manassas and Wilson's Creek forced the Cherokee to reassess their position.[2][7] All other Native American tribes bordering the Cherokee were on the Confederate side, which added to the pressure of possible occupation by the Confederate forces.[2]"

CommieGIR posted:

Wingnut welfare to the rescue. For now.

Let's start a gofundme.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Agreeing with Matt Walsh feels bad but it's OK.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Zeroisanumber posted:

Around here the people most strongly opposed to the reintroduction of wolves are farmers and sheep ranchers, for obvious reasons. Hunters are actually fairly neutral-leaning-towards-positive on wolves, not the least of which because they'd like a regular wolf season.

It is true that the most vocal opposition is ranchers but in eastern Oregon I've seen billboards depicting wolves tearing apart deer, saying that they will eat all of the deer and make hunting impossible. Maybe it was ranchers trying to appeal to hunters to be anti-wolf but in my experience hunters side with ranchers on most everything.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Monaghan posted:

This is a dumb article by Crowder

http://louderwithcrowder.com/liberalism-killing-manly-man/

It's more or less the same old spiel of leftists are pussys and want handouts. But I find it hilarious that he put a picture of Teddy loving Roosevelt at the beginning of an article. You know, one of the most liberal president's in American History.
He was a bloodthirsty lunatic as well, though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Looks like thrice-divorced female government employees are higher on his hate list than homosexuals.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I'm going to very much enjoy it when Matt Walsh's wife leaves his insufferable rear end (you just know it will happen in time) and he has a public melt-down over it.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Republicans posted:

Looks like thrice-divorced female government employees are higher on his hate list than homosexuals.

Well yeah, it means that sloor has slept with at least FOUR different people.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bunleigh posted:

He was a bloodthirsty lunatic as well, though.

I would vote for a blood-thirsty lunatic into office to scream and shoot exotic animals for the rest of my life if he also swung his dick at corporate oligarchy as fiercly

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Well don't most of those college Republicans? Bow-ties do really make me wanna slap a person too if they aren't a waiter or in a wedding though.

Edit: I'll even let the Nation of Islam guys slide a little because it actually works for em despite them being crazy as poo poo.
It's an important demographic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoSlRf1NtGw

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lmao, looks like Walsh doesn't want to get Duggar'd again so he's preemptively denouncing Davis

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

AbbadonOfHell posted:

If you're insulting Bill Nye, then I'll have to ask you to step outside.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CommieGIR posted:

Kim Davis is now refusing marriage licenses to gays "On the authority of God"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-court-ruling/
The most revealing part is how much more kind, Christian, and loving the gay-friendly side is than the bigoted "Christians" themselves.

quote:

April Miller, one of the plaintiffs, demurred earlier in the day in an interview when asked if she would like to see Davis put behind bars. “I don’t want to see anything but a marriage license,” she said.

quote:

As Ermold was speaking with reporters, a rendition of ”Amazing Grace” began from the anti-gay-marriage group just before 8 a.m. The group protesting in support of gay rights joined and sang as well.

also

quote:

Davis, 49, a Democrat,
:wtc: Old school Democrat or just someone who wants to gently caress up primaries? EDIT vvvv Forgot about that, how the Medicaid expansion got passed there and everything

But yeah she's definitely angling for some wingnut welfare for when she's inevitably fired and gets a book deal from Fox or some right-wing hate group.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 1, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hazo posted:

:wtc: Old school Democrat or just someone who wants to gently caress up primaries?

But yeah she's definitely angling for some wingnut welfare for when she's inevitably fired and gets a book deal from Fox or some right-wing hate group.

paging pupsofwar to the thread to explain how socially conservative, maybe pro-labor democrats still retain statewide offices and the house in kentucky

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Jurgan posted:

He's one of the few that we can let slide. It's mostly the stereotypical nerdy scientist look for him.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

Hazo posted:

Wingnut Welfare does have a nice ring too it and she really does look like somebody that would write checks that would bounce.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Jurgan posted:

Bill Nye, Alton Brown and the Doctor are the only ones who can wear a bow-tie without looking like far-right libertarian or college Republican shitlords.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Might not be right wing media specifically, but CNN is reporting a man apparently with his hands in the air shot dead by police, on video in front of his house. Sounds like he was involved in some domestic violence and you can't really see his left hand on the video they're showing. http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/san-antonio-bexar-county-texas-police-shooting/index.html

Edit: Only RWM article I can find is a local Fox affiliate moaning about how the officers involved are having their lives threatened on social media, so this one doesn't seem to have much RWM traction yet.

beatlegs posted:

It seems unnatural for someone to have one hand in the air and the other "going for a weapon" or whatever the cops are claiming. He was standing still, hands up, shirtless and they gunned him down. Fuckers. I'm guessing he sassed them and they didn't like it.

Agreed, but put the detail in for completeness. I don't see a reasonable explanation for this one but I'm sure Fox & friends will find a way to surprise me with their inhumanity.

Occupy Sesame Street! fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 2, 2015

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

protastic posted:

Might not be right wing media specifically, but CNN is reporting a man apparently with his hands in the air shot dead by police, on video in front of his house. Sounds like he was involved in some domestic violence and you can't really see his left hand on the video they're showing. http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/san-antonio-bexar-county-texas-police-shooting/index.html

Edit: Only RWM article I can find is a local Fox affiliate moaning about how the officers involved are having their lives threatened on social media, so this one doesn't seem to have much RWM traction yet.

It seems unnatural for someone to have one hand in the air and the other "going for a weapon" or whatever the cops are claiming. He was standing still, hands up, shirtless and they gunned him down. Fuckers. I'm guessing he sassed them and they didn't like it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

protastic posted:

Agreed, but put the detail in for completeness. I don't see a reasonable explanation for this one but I'm sure Fox & friends will find a way to surprise me with their inhumanity.

Another day, another murder. I love that the cops response is "your release of a video showing officers murdering some guy is making people mad at us!"

By love I mean sickened.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if this was posted here before, but here's a very fascinating and detailed history of the rise of Right-Wing Media and how it forges an inter-parasitic trio between itself, Republican politicians, and Republican voters.

Frankly, "right-wing echo chamber" and "epistemic closure" barely cover the horrific shitshow that we're seeing here. It's probably best described as a "circular human centipede."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hazo posted:

:wtc: Old school Democrat or just someone who wants to gently caress up primaries? EDIT vvvv Forgot about that, how the Medicaid expansion got passed there and everything

Dixiecrats are still alive and well on the local level.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

protastic posted:

Aren't they all focused on the manhunt in Illinois for a cop killer?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

How are u posted:

I'm going to very much enjoy it when Matt Walsh's wife leaves his insufferable rear end (you just know it will happen in time) and he has a public melt-down over it.

The greedy part of me hopes that if she does leave him, it's for a woman, just to see him REALLY go off the deep end.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Listening to Levin call for a "law and order" candidate.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Miltank posted:

Listening to Levin call for a "law and order" candidate.

We had one already. He was in for about three weeks and was asleep for two of them. :doink:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

protastic posted:

i just can't bring myself to care that cops are catching death threats on social media. everyone catches death threats on social media. i'm not as sympathetic when the targets are dudes who carry guns and have a lot of cop buddies. until these dudes are catching 3 am phone calls and swatting attempts, yawn

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Death threats are bad.

It is annoying that cops' response to people getting angry enough over unaccountable murderous cops to make death threats isn't "gee we need to stop murdering people", it's "gee journalists need to go back to helping us hush it up when we murder people"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
You'll never guess what happens to people who say shooting unarmed people is bad on police Facebook pages.
Death threats on social media

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Death threats are bad.

death threats are extremely common, and usually really unsubstantiated. "person has strong emotional reaction to opinion they disagree with" is a really boring news note but if that person makes a completely empty threat of violence then suddenly it's like "woah i knew all along that everyone who disagreed with me was totally crazy and emotional! they get really mad about this issue, unlike me, who is centered and emotionally composed"

it's just dumb. like until people are actually leaving dead animals on the cop's doorstep or sliding creepy polaroids through the mail slot let's not report on 'death threats made on social media' like most of america hasn't already figured out that social media is really stupid and pointless. and yes one of you complete idiots out there reading this is thinking about zoe quinn or whatever, which just demonstrates that you too are a hopeless mouthbreather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

PD's have not shown any willingness in general to clean racism & corruption out of their departments. They continue to kill unarmed citizens to this day and lie about it. And now they're using the death of an officer to inflame the discourse further by claiming BLM is a racist hate group and everyone just needs to shut up about citizen executions and kiss their feet - as opposed to even admitting there's a problem, much less fixing it. And they have no clue why people would be angry enough to make threats. Golly.