Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Acne Rain posted:

Pretenders are kind of the last G1 thing that hasn't really been revisited and probably won't be. There's nothing particularly exciting about them. I mean, you can put a robot in a shell. So? The shell looks fine without the robot in it.

They're some pretty cool monsters and warriors though. Probably would work for a different toy line if those could be sold these days.

Which reminds me, I oughta fish Bludgeon out of storage. I'm worried about his sword being bent to poo poo. Mine was always pretty straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also I cannot fully enjoy The Event that is Combiner Wars Leader Ultra Magnus until I have a G1 inspired Rodimus Prime that is Winnebago. Magnus is just not complete without him, yes you have your pinks from Arcee, your greens from Springer, but we need a large red guy who is not optimus prime.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

a large red guy who is not optimus prime

Leader Rescue Roy confirmed 2016. Hitting the red stuff with the wet stuff for 15 years and counting.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

What is with you guys and pretenders?

Look, I don't want every Pretender. But that guy is a rhino whose shell is some sort of Muscle Mustache Man.

That's the thing with Pretenders, the shell is usually more interesting than the inner robot. I guess Hasbro already knows this based on the Bludgeon and Skullgrin toys we had, as well as that Longtooth in the comics.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Pretenders are what killed my fandom as an adolescent.

"Wait, okay, the Decepticons are hiding the fact that they are Decepticons by posing as weird giant monsters from other planets... oookay, I guess I can buy that. What are the Autobots pretending to be? Um... GIANT HUMANS IN SPACE SUITS? Who in the blue hell do they think they're fooling? THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO LOGIC OR SENSE THAT CAN BE MADE OF THIS I GUESS TRANSFORMERS ARE STUPID AND I AM IN HIGH SCHOOL NOW AND NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET GIRLS TO LIKE ME ENOUGH TO GO TO PROM WHICH MEANS FAILING MISERABLY AT JUNIOR VARSITY BASEBALL AND OTHER SUCH SOCIAL MISCUES."

Wasn't a huge fan of the Skullgrin Goes Hollywood issue, either.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Skullgrin has really nice colours though.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Thewsplaining the removal of the "10 Shot/10 Bots" video.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

I don't care much about the concept of Pretenders, but as was stated before, the Decepticons had some really cool monsters with some really good color schemes. I also fondly remember the end of the Marvel comics run with Bludgeon and friends in a pretty major role. We have a great Bludgeon already, and a good enough Octopunch from FunPub using the Seaspray mold. All I need now is a Voyager Stranglehold, and that Rhinox would fit the bill nicely.

My love of the tail end of the Marvel run even has me wanting to get the latest subscription set from the Club, even with that dumb Thunderwing combiner form.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

I mean if you think about it, a video where the de facto coolest TF guy online gets absolutely wrecked might not be good re: impressionable nerdy teens watching his vids but still, I feel bad for anyone who missed out on it. All I want out of life anymore is to get wrecked and Play Robits with Thew, hit knockoffs with blunt objects, and such like that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I watched like 1-3 then got bored and intended to go back to it. Oh well.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I watched it, at around about 6 he's obviously drunk, and by 8 it's cringey

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He did the right thing. In removing it, I mean.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Yeah, Thew vids are good because of how quick his wit is. I watched 2 and then skipped to 10, it was awful. He couldn't review a rescue bot.

From someone who has a fairly traumatic reason why they don't drink, I sort of get the appeal for why people drink. But man, people who do drink need to know how they look drunk before doing things like that. Red Letter Media can get away with it because it seems like they drink all the time and have a tolerance, Thew admitted he never drinks and it shows.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ah, Circuit Breaker, the one character Marvel kept/IDW had to edit out of the G1 comic trades. She would probably be good buds with Blackrock these days.

Hah really? What's the story behind that? Reading the G1 comics from the start at 7 years old, I even knew then a semi naked circuit covered paraplegic with a ginger rat tail mullet was terrible, especially when she went back to being in a wheelchair now and again, despite being able to enjoy full circuit mobility.

And pretenders always sucked in toyform. Except Octopunch, he owned, not that I've ever seen the toy in real life.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

He did the right thing. In removing it, I mean.
The scary thing to me is, it is edited. It wasn't some livestream thing, it is something he sat down with the next day and pieced together. He sat there editing it. Unless he edited it drunk, then by which point i imagine 9 and 10 were just mishmashed clips of old 70s cartoons while thew sings irish drinking songs

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did he talk poo poo about a particular product or company? Maybe he went too far and didn't want the blowback?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
He has a job outside of reviewing toys, and I'm sure he doesn't want his current (or any future) employer watching a video of him getting drunk. People frown upon that.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Rhyno posted:

Did he talk poo poo about a particular product or company? Maybe he went too far and didn't want the blowback?

Nope. He stayed good-natured throughout, but was visibly quite drunk by the end and rambling a lot. His inner-Thew is apparently exactly the same as his outer-Thew.

Ten shots of hard liquor is a pretty ridiculous amount to consume in what appeared to be a very short span of time, especially when you realize that Thew is a normal-sized dude and not a nine foot tall death metal god. Maybe change it to 10 bots/10 sips of Merlots and retry.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Goldskull posted:

Hah really? What's the story behind that? Reading the G1 comics from the start at 7 years old, I even knew then a semi naked circuit covered paraplegic with a ginger rat tail mullet was terrible, especially when she went back to being in a wheelchair now and again, despite being able to enjoy full circuit mobility.

Circuit Breaker worked for Blackrock in the Marvel comics, she was left paralyzed in the legs and one are after she was collateral damage from a Shockwave plot.

She had an interaction with The Beyonder in Marvel's Secret Wars so Marvel could definitely say she wasn't a Transformers character, but a Marvel one. I think it was her first appearance.

Nobody would guess poor crippled Josie Beller was actually a superhero with a :krad: haircut, after all!

After the Skullgrin shenanigans, she led a team of Blackrock's anti-Cybertronian superheroes to help out with Unicron, which put her in a coma. She never recovered in Marvel G1, but Blackrock merged her tech with Spike Witwicky, who was Fortress Maximus's head's head, into another guy with a :krad: hairstyle.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

GOT EQUIPPED WITH

HOT SPOT

He's real nice, makes me excited for Onslaught who looks even better.

I lucked into finding him locally, now I just need the protectobots, so I ordered 'em on BBTS and they happened to go in my POL even though they were scheduled for mid September so that's cool. Should be here in about 9 days.

I even figured his secret knee transformation without watching a video!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Blackheart posted:

I accidentally did one knee right and it took me forever to figure out what I did to get it that way. Poor bastard had one leg shorter than the other for a day.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

Good on you, it took me ages to figure that out.

It isn't really where you'd expect it to be, though.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
At least you guys got the right instruction booklets, at least I know how to Transform Rook now, twice...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I had read comments about his knees not being properly explained in the booklet, so I was prepared for it at least. I transformed him according to the instructions at first, then noticed that if you do it like that his knees ended up higher than the official pictures, and also loose as hell.

Love the torso mode though, even if he's a lil' bit shorter than the others he's also strong-looking and the headsculpt for Defensor is fantastic, which really didn't show properly on pictures.

While hunting for Hotspot yesterday (I walked like half the city) I found a... can't remember what's it called, but that Black and Gold repaint of First Edition voyager Prime Takara made. It looks FANTASTIC in person and I was really really tempted but, yikes, they wanted like [the equivalent of] 100 dollars for it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Do his legs sort of sit tight for you in Torso mode, or is that just more of my not having the booklet?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They stay in place and the ratchets are plenty tight if that's what you mean, but the little tab in one of them is noticeably better than the other. No problems to speak of really.

Speaking of ratchets, if you still don't have Motormaster you might want to look up some of the newer serial numbers since the one that comes in wave 4 has fixed hips like his wavemate BC Optimus.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
No, mine's legs sit fairly tight around the ladder on his crotch. Not sure if that is as intended, or if I'm not transforming it right.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Latest mtmte: alright? I guess. Not a bad issue. Just kind of unremarkable.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Battlecore Optimus Prime arrived. The New Leg gears work wonderfully and he definetly feels more solid, in chest mode however Rodimus still can't stay in place(why did they not fix this too?).

It's a weird repaint that is not quite thunderclash and not quite Ultra Magnus cab. His regular head really does look like Star Convoy, but he's not even colored to resemble him. It also would have been nice if the combiner head was something else instead of the same as the regular CW Optimus.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Asphyxious posted:

Latest mtmte: alright? I guess. Not a bad issue. Just kind of unremarkable.

felt kind of like filler to me. I've basically caught up on pretty much everything now except Dark Cybertron and have convinced myself that Megatron is perpetuating the mother of all long cons and his change is just misdirection. But those last two pages? Maybe he's actually genuine

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm thinking Megatron accepts and regrets what he has done but whereas initially he was defeated, resigned and tired of it all, I get the impression he's starting to enjoy himself for the first time in millions of years, just hanging around 'regular' people and leading a relatively normal life for once.

It's still entirely possible all this ends with him taking up arms again because hey, that's comics but who knows.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I love Megatron in mtmte. I think he shows both the ruthlessness that helped him gain power but also a lot of his good qualities that made him able to hold together his men. I really liked his backstory in the mines as well. He comes across a one of those people with a dream and the willingness to do whatever it takes to make it happen. Also exactly like most of the crew of the Lost Light he's been fighting for so long just being at peace is a foreign concept. Basically I love Megatron.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
When you talk about Motormaster's Better Hips, is that just the outwards motion being more Nonnef-esque or is it the forwards/back motion too?

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Blackheart posted:

They stay in place and the ratchets are plenty tight if that's what you mean, but the little tab in one of them is noticeably better than the other. No problems to speak of really.

It's probably not the tab. I had to shave down the screw posts on one of my Hot Spot's legs to tighten up one leg in torso mode.

Also, apparently I have not been doing his knees right.

Also also, lurking this thread got me all nostalgic and I found a complete Defensor set at my local Walmart a few weeks ago. Now I have a Devastator on order. So, thanks?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
You know, Superion is pretty cool too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Canadians, the MP-11 Starscream is up for preorder on toysrus.ca.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Phy posted:

Canadians, the MP-11 Starscream is up for preorder on toysrus.ca.
This is up on the US one too but is sold out :emo: and they don't expect to get anymore in stock.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 2, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Agent_grey posted:

Yeah man, I can do that for ya. When will you be back?

Hey mate, did you manage to put one aside for me? (If they came in, the release schedule has been spotty of late)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

When you talk about Motormaster's Better Hips, is that just the outwards motion being more Nonnef-esque or is it the forwards/back motion too?

Forwards baclwards and the outward motion.

Battlecore has such tight hips, But I'm leaving him in his regular robot mode, the limbs are all going to the far more worthy Galvatronus(unless they announce Groove)

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

TheDK posted:

This is up on the US one too but is sold out :emo: and they don't expect to get anymore in stock.

Their preorder allocation is gone but individual stores will still get some around the beginning of October. May the Force be with us.