Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
What the gently caress.

So I guess that Titanium War must have imported these huge gently caress-off gauss turrets that are shaped like a C and shoot giant lightning bolts that break squads and generally snipe you further than a Tau can. Because I sure as poo poo had to contend with that! On top of that, they had one placed over the bomb point, so you couldn't just run in and back out flipping the bird at the Robot fucks! I had to run in, Orbital Bombard, Orbital Drop several dreadnoughts, run the gently caress away then run back in to drop the bomb, then run away again!

This looked piss easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
oh, neat. Titanium Wars added Gauss Pylons?

I remember those. Never had one, but I remember them. Like you said, big fuckoff turret. Had multiple structure points, which means you essentially had to destroy it multiple times in order to actually destroy it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I remember those. Never had one, but I remember them. Like you said, big fuckoff turret. Had multiple structure points, which means you essentially had to destroy it multiple times in order to actually destroy it.

Well you only have to destroy it once, but yes, Gauss Pylons, those motherfucking things all over the god drat map. Come out in the Monolith Fields? Stealthed Gauss Pylon shoots your army and breaks them as hordes of Necrons swarm around!

It also added the Essence of the Deceiver (or is that in Vanilla DC?) and all the loving pain THAT rear end in a top hat of a unit brings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazetheInferno posted:

They're one of the very few superheavy units in the Necron arsenal on the tabletop at that. They're structures but can teleport around and as mentioned are gigantic artillery pieces. The other two Necron superheavies in the tabletop are the Obelisk (a big floaty thingy that shoots lightning and grounds fliers) and the Tesseract Vault (basically a Monolith with a C'Tan shard inside).

For a faction of murderous robots, the Necrons are actually completely lacking in giant robots of any kind. Only one has ever appeared in the fluff, a Titan-size Tomb Spyder variant.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Onmi posted:

Well you only have to destroy it once, but yes, Gauss Pylons, those motherfucking things all over the god drat map. Come out in the Monolith Fields? Stealthed Gauss Pylon shoots your army and breaks them as hordes of Necrons swarm around!

It also added the Essence of the Deceiver (or is that in Vanilla DC?) and all the loving pain THAT rear end in a top hat of a unit brings.

Well, I meant you had to "destroy it" more than once in the tabletop game. When Structure Points get involved, a "vehicle destroyed" result on an armor penetration roll actually just removes a Structure Point. Lose all your structure Points, and you finally blow up.

So you effectively had to destroy the thing two or three times to actually get rid of it (I forget whether it had 2 or 3 points)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So as I once promised I will now give a bit more info on the Necrons as we have beaten them. So one of the more interesting things is if you look at the Necron Lord model and then at a Tau Ethereal model you'll find they have startling similarities in size and structure. This isn't all though, Tau and Necrons both have short life-spans and basically no warp signature. This leads to one of the more interesting theories, which is that Tau are gene modified Necrontyr.

Now the fact that this lord has beacons for multiple gods would've been weird in the old lore because in the old lore any given lord was under the control and influence of only one C'Tan. In fact a lot of stuff from this game and Soulstorm make more sense in the new lore than the old one to be honest. I would also like to point out that the C'Tan not only have titles but they also have actual given names. The Nightbringer for instance is Aza'gorod, The Deciever is Mephet'ran, and The Void Dragon is Mag'ladroth. Also the reason they don't take over Drones is because Necrons have trouble taking control of AI, which is what Tau drones typically are, rudimentary AI but AI nonetheless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also the reason they don't take over Drones is because Necrons have trouble taking control of AI, which is what Tau drones typically are, rudimentary AI but AI nonetheless.

On the other hand, I think drones are just immune to destroyer lords' vehicle possession in this game because I think they're technically classified as superheavy infantry in game mechanics terms. The Necrons absolutely can in game mechanics take over things like Land Raiders that do have their own AI.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, I think drones are just immune to destroyer lords' vehicle possession in this game because I think they're technically classified as superheavy infantry in game mechanics terms. The Necrons absolutely can in game mechanics take over things like Land Raiders that do have their own AI.

You dare suggest the glory of the Imperium is using Abominable Intelligences? I sure hope you mean they have a Machine Spirit which is in no way an AI, for one thing they usually have parts of living humans in them, which means there is no AI just the indomitable will of man. Which of course leads to the Necrons just taking over everything except the Machine Spirit. For one thing Machine Spirits cannot learn or adapt, they will only every do exactly what they are programmed to, it's just their programming tends towards things like slaughtering Orks or landing drop pods properly.

Doesn't help that the Omnissiah is probably the Void Dragon who is the C'Tan responsible for the Necron ability to control machines anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Doesn't help that the Omnissiah is probably the Void Dragon who is the C'Tan responsible for the Necron ability to control machines anyway.

It genuinely is the Omnissiah, and it was brought to Mars by the Emperor during the medieval age on Earth so that the future Martian colonists would have their minds influenced by it and so become masters of technology even after the Age of Strife because the Emperor knew he would need in time. :v:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Why can't we just use Giant Bomb technology on all of our maps? Just load it onto a catapult and chuck it to the enemy base.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why can't we just use Giant Bomb technology on all of our maps? Just load it onto a catapult and chuck it to the enemy base.

In the grim darkness of the far future, everyone in any position of authority is either a scheming sociopath or an inbred moron.

cf. every commander who has ever sent men to charge an enemy line with swords instead of calling in orbital bombardment

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

INTJ Mastermind posted:

We want to conquer the planet, not destroy it! This is a cave, it's different.

Really Pants posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, everyone in any position of authority is either a scheming sociopath or an inbred moron.

cf. every commander who has ever sent men to charge an enemy line with swords instead of calling in orbital bombardment

To be fair "orbital bombardments" in this setting usually start with "completely destroy the biosphere" as their minimum and progress up to "shatter the crust and give this star system a new asteroid belt", so that's also understandable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

President Ark posted:

We want to conquer the planet, not destroy it! This is a cave, it's different.

It's also the Necron's the only people we're pissing off by blowing them up is the AdMech. Everyone else can agree "gently caress the Crons, nuke their stupid metal asses." While the Admech calls everyone stupid barbarians for not understanding the majesty of technology the toaster fuckers

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Onmi posted:

It's also the Necron's the only people we're pissing off by blowing them up is the AdMech. Everyone else can agree "gently caress the Crons, nuke their stupid metal asses." While the Admech calls everyone stupid barbarians for not understanding the majesty of technology the toaster fuckers

AdMech and Tau, going by the Tau epilogue to Thur'abis and that it was an expedition from Asharis that woke the drat things up on Kronus in the first place. :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Really Pants posted:

Well sometimes there's something that actually need taking or defending, for the imperium it's usually one of those irreplaceable baubles/buildings from their golden age, same goes for chaos and the eldar. Orks would scoff at the notion of passing on a good fight and 'nids can't eat glass.

Really it's just the tau that have slim justifications for not orbitally bombarding a planet. Of course you could say that the tau do bombard from long range, just not orbitally :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

hard counter posted:

Well sometimes there's something that actually need taking or defending, for the imperium it's usually one of those irreplaceable baubles/buildings from their golden age, same goes for chaos and the eldar. Orks would scoff at the notion of passing on a good fight and 'nids can't eat glass.

Really it's just the tau that have slim justifications for not orbitally bombarding a planet. Of course you could say that the tau do bombard from long range, just not orbitally :v:

So do the Guard. Since canonically they are the masters of Long Range conventional Artillery.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Another reason for Imperial Guard units not calling down orbital strikes is because the entire military structure of the Guard cannot request them, unless it's a completely irredeemable on the ground. That is, besides making the atmosphere unlivable. :v: The Imperial Guard, and Navy, are two separate organizations, and rely on one another to defend the Imperium at large. Neither has commanding power over the other as this was one of the vast organizational changes circa the Horus Heresy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Veloxyll posted:

So do the Guard. Since canonically they are the masters of Long Range conventional Artillery.

The main thing is that the Tau don't do indirect fire. They think it's messy, imprecise, and causes unacceptable collateral damage. Instead they use long-range guided missiles. The Imperial Guard gives no shits and will bury you in ordnance from the other side of the continent.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Stuff isnt getting orbitally bombarded because space is still being constested by the factions.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I think the game caveat is that occasionally a single ship can get through the epic off-screen space battle to get a single salvo of missiles or space laser off, which is why the Space Marines and Tau can sometimes call in an orbital strike with a huge cool down if they have some of their strongest units/buildings--but yeah, there's no such orbital bombardments that reduce a planet to ashes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Plus everyone wants the planet intact for their own reasons. so blowing sections of it up is not really a viable option.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Uh lets go through the list I guess.
Tau: Dont want to blow up places because its theirs
IG: Dont want to blow up places because its theirs
Chaos: Probably enjoy doing it the slow and painful way
Orks: Enjoy doing it the slow and painful way
Eldar: Why would the Eldar even stay around after the Necrons are dead? Go away stupid space elves.
Necrons: Want to harvest dudes which means walking slowly everywhere with their super advanced vacuum cleaners.
Space Marines: No reason not to detonate everything really. They probably should just exterminatus the entire planet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I made some minor adjustments for accuracy:

Iretep posted:

Uh lets go through the list I guess.
Tau: Dont want to blow up places because its theirs We're going to save this planet, not because we own it, but because saving it is, in and of itself, a noble and valuable effort that falls into accordance with the Greater Good. Excuse me, have you heard the Good word?
IG: Dont want to blow up places because its theirs
Chaos: Probably enjoy doing it the slow and painful way
Orks: Enjoy doing it the slow and painful way Oi, we'ze Orkz been around fer generations, 'avin' a go at ev'ry humie'n grey-skin dat stuck'is or'er 'ead inta da Green Coast. We'ze goin' ta stick 'round as long as dey will cause it's a bit of a laff, it is, but Gorgutz iz wantin' ter git us all on a great Waaagh! of 'is, which is alright iffin yer askin' me, so I sayz, "why not?" But don't blow der planet up, cause dem grey-skinz'n humies are sentimental like, so even if we wipe'em clean now, fer certain de'll be back in a few years'n we kin start from der top again! Dat's what we'z Orkz call "sustainable development or resources".
Eldar: Why would the Eldar even stay around after the Necrons are dead? Go away stupid space elves.
Necrons: Want to harvest dudes which means walking slowly everywhere with their super advanced vacuum cleaners.
Space Marines: No reason not to detonate everything really. They probably should just exterminatus the entire planet. Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on, just let us zip down there and grab every incriminating file that links us to the Thousand Sons and then you can go ahead and blow it all up.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

Plus everyone wants the planet intact for their own reasons. so blowing sections of it up is not really a viable option.

Yeah I think that my original point :v:

I just wasn't sure what reasons the tau, in particular, had for not just glassing a belligerent force from space but I did concede that tau combat doctrine is nearly orbital bombardment given its preference for long range.

Maybe the Tau don't have spaceguns for exterminatus yet or smaller calibre guns for making big craters?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
To the Tau the idea of blowing up a planet is compleatly insane. The Damocles Gulf Crusade was probably a very educating experience for them on how insane the galaxy was.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Iretep posted:

Reminder that in DoW 2 rather than tell the Space Marines the Tyranids were coming (even via secret) they instead tried desperately to sabotage everything and stir up an Ork Waaargh and cut off supply lines.

They're remaining behind because they are SPACE ELF DICKHEADS.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I feel the Tau have the most altruistic feelings towards Kronus. It's their colony, by gum, and they're going to defend it AND its peoples without glassing significant segments of the continent.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I feel the Tau have the most altruistic feelings towards Kronus. It's their colony, by gum, and they're going to defend it AND its peoples without glassing significant segments of the continent.

They're basically what Vance 'Motherfucking' Stubbs is in Soulstorm. Vance 'Motherfucking' Stubbs got transferred to the Karuva system where the Imperial Guard was lazy, heretical and down right worthless, and the once industrial power of the system had gone to ruin. So Vance 'Motherfucking' Stubbs deemed that he would save this world and make it great again. Unlike the loving Tau, who were there because their commander wanted to show the Tau that it was a good thing to go all Imperium and nuke everything.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 2, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Onmi posted:

Reminder that in DoW 2 rather than tell the Space Marines the Tyranids were coming (even via secret) they instead tried desperately to sabotage everything and stir up an Ork Waaargh and cut off supply lines.

They're remaining behind because they are SPACE ELF DICKHEADS.

You have to keep in mind the Eldar were following a vision the Farseer saw. The vision didnt contain them telling the humans anything. If I remember right their intention was to draw out the fight as long as possible so a craftworld wouldnt get shot up in the future. Since the space marines won so fast its possible the Imperium is going to shoot up the craftworld when it arrives or the craftworld will have to do something really annoying so that never happens. Predicting the future is annoying basically.

Blind Sally posted:

Well the imperium is being alturistic too. Purging all the evil treasonous xenos and heretics so they do not corrupt the purity of man is all great and noble honestly. Humanity has a long history of examples why the xenos are to not be trusted.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

For the record, this is the Tau commander in Soulstorm

quote:

Shas'o Or'es'Ka is the Tau equivalent of that rear end in a top hat who brings 30 Deathstrikes to an Apocalypse game. The Tau commander of Dawn of War: Soulstorm, Or'es'Ka is known for openly espousing the use of WMDs to achieve an objective, something he purportedly learned from the Imperium of Man, and plans to use Kaurava to show off what this new strategy, differing from the Mont'ka and Kauyon tactics, can do.

Whereas his predecessor, Shas'o Kais, tends to give a surrender ultimatum before attacking, Or'es'Ka prefers to lead off by orbital striking a population center, then threatening that his forces will cheerfully pound their area until it resembles the results of a protracted cyclonic torpedo bombing if they fail to see the wisdom of the Greater Good. To further this objective, his forces created a massive orbital ion cannon on one of Kaurava's moons and use it to airstrike their enemies before every attack.

What a dick.

EDIT: Also the Space Marine vs Imperial Guard is an example of The Blood Ravens being lead by a heretic the problem with Segmentum Command and the Marines not following the same orders. Alexander has been ordered to liberate Kronus for the Imperium, to deny that order would be heresy and put him and his men on the executioners block. The Blood Ravens have been ordered to purge Kronus, they cannot stop or they will go against the will of the Chapter Master, which would be the will of the Emperor. In short, We have two armies with conflicting orders, neither who can afford to pull out of the conflict. worth noting? if the Space Marines win they send the surviving IG back to Segmentum command for honors and praise, for standing and doing their duty in the face of the end. Except for a group of them who you'll see when we do the IG stronghold.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 2, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This or Cuddles, in honor of its fighting style.

edit: Vance Motherfucking Stubbs is easily the best Soulstorm character just on account of having the least Warhammery name ever. Even the clown in charge of the Guard on Kronus has some pompous heroic name, but Stubbs is a real working class hero.
The fantastic thing about O'Res'Ka is actually that while the above post is true, it's solely there to justify the Tau stronghold's special ability of using a bigass cannon before fights - in order to snipe one garrison unit. That's patched, mind you, in original release it simply did nothing.
Dude loves his cannon but can't aim it.

e2: VVV As hideous as his crimes against the setting may be, it should also be noted he's a godawful writer even by BL standards.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

By the way, the Dawn of War series has a Series of novels written about them.

They are written by C.S. Goto

quote:

Not much is known of Taldeer, other then she was first seen in action on Lorn V, where she helped the 412th Cadian Shock Troops Regiment of the Imperial Guard gain a foothold against the Forces of Chaos and later the Orks. She also led her forces successfully through the Lorn V and Kronus Campaigns.

In the Dawn of War series of novels, Taldeer is portrayed as a member of Biel-Tan's Seer Council and, as is common with Eldar Farseers, a female of breathtaking beauty and elegance. She forms an alliance with Blood Ravens Captain Gabriel Angelos in order to prevent the destruction of a Webway Portal on Lorn V and defeat the reactivation ("Ascension") of a C'tan and its Necron army. She is seemingly killed in action during that campaign, though the Harlequin Solitaire in that story claims to have saved her. If she survived, she was horribly scarred and blinded from injuries sustained from exposure to the Warp and from a crash landing and subsequent explosion.

Do not read them.

Actually I'll just post the list. Not even Coolguye who hates the Eldar could like these books and the rape, both fluff and VERY LITERAL that happens to the Eldar in them.

quote:

You know that Dawn of War book he wrote? Apparently, during Winter Assault, Sturnn got to the titan first and met with Gabe and the Blood Ravens, who had apparently been tipped off by the Eldar that there was a Webway Gate under the Titan. Oh and the Ultramarines Sturnn escorted? They were the Alpha Legion in disguise all along. loving Stupid.

For some reason, Goto really seems to hate the Eldar. Their fluff is repeatedly violated in many unforgivable ways, almost as much as the Eldar themselves are when he's the one writing.

It's loving CANON that the Aspect Warriors don't own their armor (except Exarchs, but theirs doesn't come off) and return it to the Aspect Shrine when they grow too much sense to play dress-up kung-fu ninjas anymore. Goto had several Eldar keeping the helmets they wore as Aspect Warriors like some sort of loving souvenir.

The Eldar also worship Slaanesh, including the entire Ulthwe Seer Council and Eldrad himself. You know, despite the fact that every Eldar, even the crazy, hedonistic ones, loathe and revile the folly of their ancestors that so happened to result to their race being damned to a life of eternal pain and suffering the moment their souls enter the warp after death. Ohh, and said folly also reduced their empire to a shadow of its former glory as seen today.

Or D-Cannons? The things teleport chunks out of the target (looks kind of like Looney Toons-style swiss cheese production, but messier). The retard had them fire bullets.

Or Biel-Tan's Avatar? Apparently he hasn't had his Wailing Doom sword for the past 3,000 years. And is dead. A piece of said Wailing Doom was somehow forged into Gabriel Angelos' Godsplitter daemonhammer.

Or Fire Dragons; Goto wrote that the meltaguns of Fire Dragons (expert tank-hunters) struggle to get through a hastily-constructed Imperial Guard barricade, even at point-blank range, despite the fact that even loving Land Raiders suffer critical existence failure the moment Fire Dragons starts shooting.

It gets worse; according to this idiot, instead of using Wave Serpents or Falcons, the Eldar steal tanks from Imperial forces and use them in battle. The Eldar do this because the tanks have better armour, in spite of the fact that the Imperial tanks are landbound, slower and have more primitive guns than their own vehicles. Goto seems to have ignored the fact that the Eldar purposely eschew heavy-armored tanks for lighter faster, and more agile ones as Eldar strategy revolves a lot on quick skrimishes and hit-and-run attacks, instead of the Imperial Guard's equivalent of a steel wall full of guns.. And the additional armor is offset by the fact that the Eldar ride the tanks into battle by standing on the roof or hanging off the sides like suicidal idiots.

Even language isn't safe. According to Goto, the Eldar can't fully grasp human languages or speak them properly (though the languages of the Eldar are much more complex than any human language, and Eldar are capable of having conversations with each other using nothing but body language; yet according to Goto they can't handle human languages!? gently caress off!)

In the aforementioned Dawn of War book, if you were wondering where Taldeer (who is suddenly a novice Farseer from Biel-Tan as opposed to a veteran from Ulthwe) was during all this, she was busy being murdered by Ahriman and his Prodigal Sons (who also happened to be on Lorn V for no apparent reason). Goto puts her through nearly 20 pages worth of graphically detailed torture before finally putting her out of her misery (and fortunately rendering the novels non-canon, given that she shows up alive and well in Dark Crusade).

Macha doesn't fare much better- after being given one of the Swords of Vaul from Gabe (who got it from the Harlequins after repelling the forces of Ahriman) she uses it to turn into some kind of green warp-fire thing to destroy a Necron ship and subsequently vanishes from the story without a word of explanation.

Lelith Hesperax now lives in the Eye of Terror, and is also a worshipper of Slaanesh. This is in spite of the fact that any Dark Eldar who was so stupid as to get that close to Chaos' home turf would have his or her soul devoured in seconds (which is why they live in the webway), let alone take the utterly suicidal step of actively offering oneself up to She Who Thirsts. And she's also a psyker, even though psychic powers in Dark Eldar have long since atrophied due to their suppression since, you know, they run the very high risk of being Slaaneshi daemon chow the moment they commune with the Warp (and even if there were DE psykers, Vect has made it very clear that using said powers in Commorragh is punishable by death).

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Onmi posted:

Whereas his predecessor, Shas'o Kais, tends to give a surrender ultimatum before attacking, Or'es'Ka prefers to lead off by orbital striking a population center, then threatening that his forces will cheerfully pound their area until it resembles the results of a protracted cyclonic torpedo bombing if they fail to see the wisdom of the Greater Good.

What a dick.

That's... like the one situation where, as the Tau, you don't wanna use orbital bombardment. Using your space cannons to lol at an enemy ground force that wants to fight is one thing but decimating population centres as their primer to the greater good is definitely another thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hard counter posted:

That's... like the one situation where, as the Tau, you don't wanna use orbital bombardment. Using your space cannons to lol at an enemy ground force that wants to fight is one thing but decimating population centres as their primer to the greater good is definitely another thing.

Everyone in Soulstorm was pretty special.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

When I describe this setting as a non-sequitur of violence I usually don't include the Tau but it's nice to know that sometimes they get silly too :buddy:

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

Everyone in Soulstorm was pretty special.

My heretical confession: I like Carron a lot more than Eliphas. He's a goddamn lunatic and an idiot, sure, but that fits the setting, and he has a fantastic voice. Stubbs is also great. Everyone else is a step down from DC, though; even Gorgutz is a lot less entertaining in Soulstorm.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

kvx687 posted:

My heretical confession: I like Carron a lot more than Eliphas. He's a goddamn lunatic and an idiot, sure, but that fits the setting, and he has a fantastic voice. Stubbs is also great. Everyone else is a step down from DC, though; even Gorgutz is a lot less entertaining in Soulstorm.

Idiot doesn't *BEGIN* to describe it. He was doomed to failure before he started. Shrines to Khorne? Getting positively WHINY when they start getting smashed?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stubbs is a legitimately hopeful individual in a setting full of crap

Commissar, I would like to see this city built up again. I would like to see towers and spires of gleaming white. I would like to see our men on parade routes, not tours of duty! I WOULD LIKE TO SEE EVERY CITY ON THIS PLANET, EVERY COLONY ON THIS BESOTTED, MISERABLE SYSTEM TURNED TO THE SERVICE AND INDUSTRY OF THE IMPERIUM IN THE EMPEROR'S NAME!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I've been thinking a bit on the Necrons and why they are the way they are, and I struck upon an interesting idea. The Necrontyr and therefore the Necrons are a species who have had the short end of the stick from day one, their home planet is a deadly radioactive mess, their intergalactic empire falls apart from infighting and then when they try to work together to fight another empire they outright lose. They meet what they think is one of their gods and build him a glorious body in what they think is his image, they call him down and the first thing he does is kill 100 of them just by being born, they bring down a second god who they believe to be a messenger of a better life and what he offers instead rips them of their souls and in many cases memories. Then when they use these horrible gods to fight that war again they win, decide to slaughter their gods and then are all put to sleep because their King has decided their current system is never going to work. When their king comes back he discovers half his people are broken beyond repair in either mind or body, and that it's entirely possible they will never regain their glory. The Necrons constantly claw their way to the top and then the universe just shoves them back down, no matter what it seems they cannot catch a break. It's actually quite tragic.

So here's what I'm getting at, the Necrontyr believe 100% the universe owes them everything, for every single bit of pain and bad luck they've ever been dealt they wish to take from the galaxy in flesh, blood and power. This speaks so much to their actions and personalities, none of them ever think that they shouldn't take what they want, what in their mind they deserve for the horrible existence they've had since the dawn of their race. This is even reflected in how they treat their gods, they thought they'd found tangible proof of their existence and didn't once think to not take them from their forms and remake them in the image they wanted. Ultimately whilst each Necron may have their own way of doing so they just wish to take what they're owed and I think that's quite interesting.

Also on the note of the Messenger they later renamed him The Deceiver, and the first one they called down was the Nightbringer. Furthermore I suspect that the C'Tan were very much defined by the physical bodies they found themselves inhabiting, so the Nightbringer is the Nightbringer because he was given that form by the Necrontyr not because he gave the idea of the form to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I feel like we should probably describe the Thousand Sons, Why the Blood Ravens would be ashamed to be descended from them, and Magnus the Red, their Primarch.

The Thousand Sons are one of the traitor legions of the Horus Heresy, but of all the Legions, next to the Death Legion, I would say that Magnus's fall was the sadness. You see, Magnus had been informed by his father to stop peering into the warp (which he had grown up exploring and dealing with) feeling uncomfortable about what he felt was mistrust (He's the second->third strongest Psyker in the galaxy after The Emperor and Malcador the Sigilite, yet he was always looked down upon for his Psychic gifts despite Emps having the SAME GIFTS) But he was still loyal to his father, then he met Tzeench, who he didn't recognize, who told him... frankly the truth, Horus was starting his heresy, had betrayed the Emperor and intended to kill them all. Magnus realized he had to tell his father, and Tzeench gave him a power boost so he could break through the webway and travel to Terra faster than anyone could via star ships. Unfortunately, in doing so he broke the Emperors Human Webway project that he had been working on in secret to secure mankinds transport through the warp safely. The Emperor was furious and unwilling to hear Magnus out at the time (the horde of demons unleashed on Terra didn't help) so Magnus wound up going back to Prospero going "gently caress! gently caress!" and hating himself for what happened.

Eventually, Emps ordered Leman Russ to bring Magnus to him again so he could explain himself, Horus, who had gone heretic but the Emperor didn't believe Magnus when he told him, informed Russ instead that the Emperor had changed his mind, and he wanted Prospero sacked and Magnus killed. There's implications that Russ is responsible for the death of the two missing primarchs, and had served as the Emperor's executioner for Primarchs and legions. Regardless, Magnus realized it was coming, but was adamant that he would accept his fate, realizing that he would be loving Tzeench over by denying him the destruction of the Space Wolves. However the fucker continued to bombard Magnus in a battle of dickery before enraged he took to the field to defend his legion and people. Magnus was so pissed off he punched Russ through his armor and pierced one of his hearts, there's implication that they engaged in psychic communication and Russ realized he'd been played, with Magnus assuring him he didn't hate him for what happened. Tzeench who found it hilarious that someone was attempting to out play him, offered Magnus a choice.

Transport what was left of the Legion into the Warp and serve Tzeench and Tzeench would save them. For Magnus? He didn't really have a choice, he'd NEVER had a choice. That was how Magnus became bound to the services of Tzeench as a Daemon Prince.

However, the Thousand Sons now had to deal with more immediate problems: with their serving of Tzeentch, the Flesh Change (Mutations) returned with a vengeance. Magnus made efforts to stop this, but being a servant of the God of Mutation has its drawbacks. Growing desperate, Ahzek Ahriman, the Chief Librarian and First Captain, took matters into his own hands. Having lost his brother to the Flesh Change before they found Prospero, Ahriman gathered a cabal of other sorcerers, stole the Book of Magnus, and performed the Rubric of Ahriman in an attempt to stop the Flesh Change. The results were not what Ahriman expected: while it stopped the Flesh Change and further empowered all psychic Thousand Sons, all non-psyker Thousand Sons had their bodies turned to dust and sealed within their Power Armour, becoming little more than robots needing guidance from a Thousand Son sorcerer.

Magnus was furious. Confronting Ahriman, once his most favored son, Magnus was about to kill Ahriman when Tzeentch spoke to him: "Magnus, why do you seek to kill my pawn?" Once again, Magnus had been used. Broken, Magnus simply exiled Ahriman from the Planet of Sorcerers. For the last ten thousand years, Magnus has labored to restore his Sons bodies to their original forms, failing all the while.

So the Blood Ravens have a lot in common with the Suns, the obsession with knowledge, the abnormally large number of Psykers and the fact that they 'don't remember' their Primarch. Which is the UTMOST bullshit, a Legion would never forget their primarch, they may claim to have a different one out of shame, but never forget. It is also notable that the Black Legion DESPISES the Blood Ravens, and they are referred to as "Brothers" by the Chaos Space Marines, which can always just be their taunting, but also implies their connection to Loyalists from the Sons.

• Locked thread