Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chamale posted:

The rumour has existed before that the Forbidden Mechanic was a variant of pwnage, and the Eldrazi mechanic of stealing cards from exile is somewhat similar to Pwnage. Maybe that's it?

No, Aaron Forsythe really did spoil what Forbidden was at PAX. Apparently to some random kid that asked a Yu-Gi-Oh question.

Maro followed up on it today:

"Forbidden cards were cards with huge effects compared to their cost. For example, a sorcery for R that dealt 6 damage to target creature or player. The trick was you couldn’t put them in your deck directly and you needed other cards to be able to even get them into your deck during play." It sounds sort of like wishes or something. But "Forbidden" makes sense if you aren't normally allowed to get them in your deck. Maro said he hopes he could use it some day.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Dude maybe thats happened to you, and that sucks, but I honestly can't recall a single time I've encountered it. Beyond that, if someone was smugly recounting that story in earshot of a judge they could probably face a dq or worse. Your internet anecdote sounds very made up.

Though to be fair, I thought one poster was lying about the girl with the nude playmat of herself and then found out that Tara Babcock exists so eh.

Except I've seen it too, and even seen players trade for cards for that exact reason. The exact words "it'd harder for your opponents to understand" having been uttered multiple times. And no a judge won't dq you for saying it's harder to understand. If you lie about what the card does sure. But I've seen people hurriedly go through a card before then next they are asked again act annoyed repeat it's power and toughness and say something to the effect of "i already told you what it did". Most nerds who play magic are so confrontation adverse that they can be easily bullied into not calling a judge and there's all kinds of mind games that go into bigger tournamaents.

Hell I played a star city event just last month against a guy who was using japanese text mill deck and "misremembered" what Sphinx's Tutelage did (I didnt and called him on it)

I'm sure that people who try to stack their deck or do shuffle manipulation are fake to you too.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The spoiled Ob has "draw a card" on it as a + ability, in mono-color. It'll see play.

Kiora is probably my favorite current planeswalker, so it's cool to see her getting even more cards. Hopefully this one is good enough to finally push Sultai control over the hump.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GeneX posted:

The spoiled Ob has "draw a card" on it as a + ability, in mono-color. It'll see play.

Kiora is probably my favorite current planeswalker, so it's cool to see her getting even more cards. Hopefully this one is good enough to finally push Sultai control over the hump.

Draw a card, kill a dude, ultimate is a very functional design. Its just not terribly interesting.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

Draw a card, kill a dude, ultimate is a very functional design. Its just not terribly interesting.

Yeah, it's pretty boring. Still, it's a fine card.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

WhalerWren posted:

http://imgur.com/a/poX6n

The names of our last two walkers confirmed as Ob Nixilis Reignited and Kiora, Master of the Depths.

I'm so confused about Ob's fashion choices. "Let's see, I'll wear like a faceplate, a thing on my right shoulder, maybe a gauntlet only on my left hand, a pair of shin armor (gotta protect them shins!), and uh...maybe like a nice pair of armor beach shorts. Now to tie the whole look all together...oh, this sash looks nice!"

And that pose! He looks like he's taking a selfie while skipping down the boardwalk.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I mean the +1 also costs life so I guess at some point he becomes not really that great.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lets Pickle posted:

sweet, Kiora has gone full Plava Laguna. Also I never noticed how pointy her facial features are.

As much as their style guide tries to make everything poo poohomogenous, every artist draws the planeswalkers differently. Every single one has different facial features.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikujin posted:

I mean the +1 also costs life so I guess at some point he becomes not really that great.

Phyrexian Arena is basically always good.

qbert posted:

I'm so confused about Ob's fashion choices. "Let's see, I'll wear like a faceplate, a thing on my right shoulder, maybe a gauntlet only on my left hand, a pair of shin armor (gotta protect them shins!), and uh...maybe like a nice pair of armor beach shorts. Now to tie the whole look all together...oh, this sash looks nice!"

And that pose! He looks like he's taking a selfie while skipping down the boardwalk.

His expression is just the silliest thing ever. He just looks completely :v:

The human Ob Nixilis was one of the few times they actually made one of their characters look like a badass.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
As a French guy I like how the French cards sometime use incredibly obscure words like this one

Thésauriseur?? (it's a real word, thésauriser means hoarding money)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 2, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

No, Aaron Forsythe really did spoil what Forbidden was at PAX. Apparently to some random kid that asked a Yu-Gi-Oh question.

Maro followed up on it today:

"Forbidden cards were cards with huge effects compared to their cost. For example, a sorcery for R that dealt 6 damage to target creature or player. The trick was you couldn’t put them in your deck directly and you needed other cards to be able to even get them into your deck during play." It sounds sort of like wishes or something. But "Forbidden" makes sense if you aren't normally allowed to get them in your deck. Maro said he hopes he could use it some day.

That sounds dreadfully awful. It would make Eternal decks with a wishboard stronger and that's about it, and require a clunky parasitic mechanic to make it ever work in Limited. I really hope they never make an effect with that description.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

black potus posted:

but first, let me take an elfie

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Going back a few pages but you can ask a judge for oracle text any time you want. You're not going to get in trouble for doing it repeatedly unless we start suspecting you're wasting time - if your opponent plays all unreadable cards then we're there to make them readable :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Angry Grimace posted:

The human Ob Nixilis was one of the few times they actually made one of their characters look like a badass.

If he'd just worn his helmet he wouldn't have got blood in his eye!

If they ever do flipwalkers again he'd be a good candidate. Except you can't have a three-sided card for human, demon and planeswalker modes.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Anyone whose talking about not liking foreign cards clearly doesn't have a Sissy EDH deck with Salón del Señor de los bandidos in it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

rabidsquid posted:

im surprised nobody from this thread has killed someone else from this thread

IIRC, someone from one of these threads did get axe murdered by his roommate, so we're pretty close.

Kurtofan posted:

As a French guy I like how the French cards sometime use incredibly obscure words like this one

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Angry Grimace posted:

I do like that demon Ob Nixilis is him with all his armour, including helmet, all fused into him

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

mfcrocker posted:

Going back a few pages but you can ask a judge for oracle text any time you want. You're not going to get in trouble for doing it repeatedly unless we start suspecting you're wasting time - if your opponent plays all unreadable cards then we're there to make them readable :)

In this age of smartphones, can't I just look it up on Gatherer myself?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

gromdul posted:

In this age of smartphones, can't I just look it up on Gatherer myself?

In Competitive REL, you can't.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:v: (Yes, I am a red mage. Why do you ask?)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Hopping Ghost posted:

My favorite Korean version mistake is that Ashiok's topmost ability is a +1, rather than a +2, on the Korean card. I don't know why that part of the file would have even been touched in localization.

I think MaRo mentioned at one point that translated versions of cards literally exist as separate entries in Multiverse, so if things changed during development or somebody hosed up doing copy/paste it makes sense why things like that would happen.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

anglachel posted:

Except I've seen it too, and even seen players trade for cards for that exact reason. The exact words "it'd harder for your opponents to understand" having been uttered multiple times. And no a judge won't dq you for saying it's harder to understand. If you lie about what the card does sure. But I've seen people hurriedly go through a card before then next they are asked again act annoyed repeat it's power and toughness and say something to the effect of "i already told you what it did". Most nerds who play magic are so confrontation adverse that they can be easily bullied into not calling a judge and there's all kinds of mind games that go into bigger tournamaents.

Hell I played a star city event just last month against a guy who was using japanese text mill deck and "misremembered" what Sphinx's Tutelage did (I didnt and called him on it)

I'm sure that people who try to stack their deck or do shuffle manipulation are fake to you too.

Agree. If I feel any question about it when someone plays a foreign language card at an event I'll look it up if it is regular REL or call a judge at comp REL. The only "fix" is the make the expense and inclusion of foreign cards pointless to those people.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mikujin posted:

I know man! Like why do they keep making black cards like that. Necropotence, Phyrexian Arena, Dark Confidant, Sign in Blood, Read the Bones... GARBAGE!!!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

If he'd just worn his helmet he wouldn't have got blood in his eye!

If they ever do flipwalkers again he'd be a good candidate. Except you can't have a three-sided card for human, demon and planeswalker modes.

or can you?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

anglachel posted:

Well obviously not, we have documented evidence of it on camera.

Let me put it this way, I am sure there exist some number of people who intentionally obtain foreign versions of cards to misdirect their opponents. What I will say is that I doubt that it is a significant enough percentage for it to be something you will run into personally at every tournament, as Yawgmoth stated.

Look there are tons of weird poo poo people who play magic, luckily commander was invented to keep them all in one place. jk

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BizarroAzrael posted:

They could combine the top/bottom cards from Kamigawa with the flip cards.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

alansmithee posted:

They could combine the top/bottom cards from Kamigawa with the flip cards.

Give it morph and you have yourself a deal.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

I know man! Like why do they keep making black cards like that. Necropotence, Phyrexian Arena, Dark Confidant, Sign in Blood, Read the Bones... GARBAGE!!!
Yea but the difference here is those cards are all good and this one costs 5.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Somewhere in the french translation team there is a mad guy with a huge synonym dictionary.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mikujin posted:

Remember how everyone was sure Elspeth, Sun's Champion was crap because she cost 6 mana? Standard is different than it used to be.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mikujin posted:

It is way to early to say if Ob Nixilis is a bad card yet. It gets value the turn it comes into play and is mono colored. Yes we would all prefer it be 4 mana and not 5, but at the moment it is a really solid planeswalker. At least wait for the rest of the set to be spoiled before you make your terrible predictions.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sickening posted:

It is way to early to say if Ob Nixilis is a bad card yet. It gets value the turn it comes into play and is mono colored. Yes we would all prefer it be 4 mana and not 5, but at the moment it is a really solid planeswalker. At least wait for the rest of the set to be spoiled before you make your terrible predictions.

Can someone repost this? Didn't see the potential spoilered card.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

Did mcmagic get a name change?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mikujin posted:

You get to kill something worth at least 3 mana as soon as he enters though, probably. It's a boring grindy card but I think it's a good fit for this boring grindy standard, and since Ajani and Elspeth are rotating I can imagine it just going straight in Abzan.

Like when it comes to the attrition-based boardstalls that define Abzan-ish mirrors I think Ob Nixilis actually excels.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 2, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kizudarake posted:

Did mcmagic get a name change?

Mcmagic makes terrible predictions, he doesn't discourage them.

Nephzinho posted:

Can someone repost this? Didn't see the potential spoilered card.

It is not officially spoiled.

3bb

+1 pay one life and draw a card

-3 Destroy Target Creature

4 loyalty

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

3bb

4 loyalty

I make as many good ones as bad. If not more.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sickening posted:

3bb

4 loyalty

I meant the Gideon source that people are referring too, but thanks. No ultimate listed?

Who can tell if it'll see play, I feel like 5cc isn't going to be a huge deal in this set and BB can be played in a good number of decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I make as many good ones as bad. If not more.

As someone else once said, its not how terrible some of your predictions are, is how steadfast and confident you are in your bad predictions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

His ultimate was said to be
'-8 target opponent gets an emblem that say "when you draw a card lose 2 life"''
Also the source says they don't know whether he starts at 4 or 5 loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This walker is marginally better than Liliana Vess and she barely saw any play...

• Locked thread