Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

vOv posted:

I was hopping through timestamps in this to find where that image is from (4:44) and I realized Lalafell eyes don't have pupils. How the gently caress do they see?

According to the lore blurb, they actually do have pupils but this is obscured by a protective membrane over their eyes, which is the monocolor thing you're seeing instead. Only Dunefolk Lalafell are like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

According to the lore blurb, they actually do have pupils but this is obscured by a protective membrane over their eyes, which is the monocolor thing you're seeing instead. Only Dunefolk Lalafell are like this.

I am absolutely enamored with the amount of small details that went into the lore of this game, holy poo poo

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah but if it's green then it means it's actually reflecting green light, which means that that green light isn't reaching the retina.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

vOv posted:

Yeah but if it's green then it means it's actually reflecting green light, which means that that green light isn't reaching the retina.

Mild color blindness is the price Dunefolk pay for being able to see clearly in a sand storm and the like I suppose :shrug:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Eerkik posted:

I am absolutely enamored with the amount of small details that went into the lore of this game, holy poo poo

As with most things, the design probably came first, and then the lore team went and concocted some explanation for what the art team had wrought.

But it still says something that they're actually willing to take the time to polish it up like that. The fact that every last thing in Eorzea's got some sort of story to it, even if it's some tiny blurb in the Sightseeing Log, is why it's a good setting.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Dunesfolk also have the best piety and intelligence for a black mage. :3:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Mazed posted:

As with most things, the design probably came first, and then the lore team went and concocted some explanation for what the art team had wrought.

But it still says something that they're actually willing to take the time to polish it up like that. The fact that every last thing in Eorzea's got some sort of story to it, even if it's some tiny blurb in the Sightseeing Log, is why it's a good setting.

The fishing log is a great example of the tiniest detail getting some great story to it. Buoyant Oviforms while common remain a complete loving mystery to eorzean scholars. There's some great flavour in the fishing log.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Been playing MNK for a while and it's kinda fun, but fights with losing Greased Lightning buffs make me sad.

I do feel a loss of power going into low-level dungeons though, especially when I don't have the ability to stack Greased Lightnings.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Obligatum VII posted:

thinking side ponytails look stupid though.

You're not wrong

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

MohShuvuu posted:

Dunesfolk also have the best piety and intelligence for a black mage. :3:

That piety thing doesn't matter anymore because of the new rotation.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it doesn't matter anyway because it's like two points

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Unlike say Bioware they actually seem to care a little bit about blatant clipping problems which rules out long hair. Well, unless they ditch console support and raise the minimum requirements to something ridiculous.

Something Tera does right is that long hair models have an alternate model for clipping clothes. So if my dude with long hair wears a coat with a high collar, the back of his hair goes up into a bun. I thought that was neat since I've basically always just seen it clip in games.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I never get any of these bad primadonna tanks in LDR that ya'all are talking about that refuse to tank if they don't meet their demands. I've had tanks that aren't good at holding aggro, or last night I was in Copperbell and there was a tank that killed the blast cap four times because he kept trying to hit it with shield toss.

Now, bad healers on the other hand - I get those all the time :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I got a level 42 glad in SV. He promptly melted to first pull. Respawned, came back, used flash, died again. :v:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Seriously, why don't they make job crystals necessary for everything post-Haukke Manor?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

berenzen posted:

Seriously, why don't they make job crystals necessary for everything post-Haukke Manor?

One reason I can think of is because 1.0 players coming over wouldn't be able to play a bunch of 2.0 content without extra stuff. The class job distinction is being reduced and will be gone eventually but we're still stuck with poo poo from 1.0 to deal with.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
job crystals actually were in 1.0 for a good while

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hivac posted:

job crystals actually were in 1.0 for a good while

After yoshi took over, but they were certainly not mandatory back then and even at 2.0 launch there were situations where going without a jobstone was better. It wasn't until a few patches in that stones were given a big enough stat buff that it made them absolutely better than running with just a class.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

seiferguy posted:

I never get any of these bad primadonna tanks in LDR that ya'all are talking about that refuse to tank if they don't meet their demands. I've had tanks that aren't good at holding aggro, or last night I was in Copperbell and there was a tank that killed the blast cap four times because he kept trying to hit it with shield toss.

I've yet to run a Copperbell where someone doesn't mess up the Blasting Caps.

Also Every time I run 4-man Ifrit they forget to destroy the nail the first time.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Piety actually does matter, now and then i find myself at 883 mp, literally one point short of being able to B4.

But you can just toss a point of int into piety into your stat allocation so it's like whatever.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Now, bad healers on the other hand - I get those all the time :(

I had a white mage in tam-tara who insisted on ~~big pulls~~. I told him that was silly because literally none of us had any AOE abilities at that level (pld, lnc, rog), and that if he wanted to make things faster he should help DPS. He stayed silent, healing badly in what I assume was a purposeful way - not that it really mattered, it was frigging tam-tara - until the end boss, at which point he started screaming how he loving HATED US ALL AAAAAAAAAAA. I left soon as we were done, but I kinda wish I hadn't, stayed to watch the meltdown.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

vOv posted:

I was looking at the official site and:

What the hell is this?

wow i only just noticed that the crappy antique dragonlancer hat doesnt actually match the dope armor from the trailer at all. i was looking forward to the glowing quadruple eyes :argh:

Mr. Nice! posted:

After yoshi took over, but they were certainly not mandatory back then and even at 2.0 launch there were situations where going without a jobstone was better. It wasn't until a few patches in that stones were given a big enough stat buff that it made them absolutely better than running with just a class.

removing your job crystal was never better for your character at any point in ARR. yes even for dragoon

the stat buff was introduced as a not so subtle way to tell people to stop loving over their parties and play their classes properly

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DolphinCop posted:

removing your job crystal was never better for your character at any point in ARR. yes even for dragoon

the stat buff was introduced as a not so subtle way to tell people to stop loving over their parties and play their classes properly

Marauder was better than Warrior for PvP up until they changed how stat bonuses work, and Arcanist is still better than SMN until 35, but those are the only 2 I can think of.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was thinking of PVP marauder as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Niton posted:

Marauder was better than Warrior for PvP up until they changed how stat bonuses work, and Arcanist is still better than SMN until 35, but those are the only 2 I can think of.

If I recall the math right Ifrit should significantly out damage emerald carbuncle at 30.

OTOH carbie is significantly cuter so there's that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

hobbesmaster posted:

If I recall the math right Ifrit should significantly out damage emerald carbuncle at 30.

OTOH carbie is significantly cuter so there's that.

You lose access to Aero, though, which is +120 potency over Ruin for each time you can cast it.

e: also Blood for Blood and IR if you're going deep

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
alright, i'll admit im not familiar with early wolves den strategy. its just, ive been repressing some bad experiences with lancer primma donnas at leviathan ex, and they all kinda bubbled to the surface at once

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Niton posted:

You lose access to Aero, though, which is +120 potency over Ruin for each time you can cast it.

e: also Blood for Blood and IR if you're going deep

I was assuming you don't have the melee skills so that may be true. As for aero - it doesn't get baned so it's a little more complicated. Pet potency doesn't translate between pets let alone between the player and pet so I honestly have no idea how to do the math on Ifrit's aoe correctly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Intoluene posted:

The fishing log is a great example of the tiniest detail getting some great story to it. Buoyant Oviforms while common remain a complete loving mystery to eorzean scholars. There's some great flavour in the fishing log.

The fishing log kind of makes me wish for an in-game bestiary.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a good idea. There was one in FF12, wasn't there? Come on, Koji, I want to know exactly how La Noscean farmers use dodo poo poo to fertilize their popoto fields. Tell me all about it. give it to me

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A level 42 gladiator in Stone Vigil isn't getting access to shield oath, which around that level is pretty necessary in order to maintain enmity in that dungeon. He's probably just ran FATEs for a super long time and never learned how to tank properly.

Speaking of paladin tanking, last night a couple of goons and I decided to have some fun in EXDR last night. We got Neverreap, and we had a SMN, and used Titan-egi to tank Waukkeon while I stayed in sword oath and avoided using rage of halone and stuck to royal authority / goring blade, which put out a respectable DPS. It almost worked until Titan-egi died. Considering how easy EXDR is with ilvl 170 and higher gear, you may as well have fun with it!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Been playing MNK for a while and it's kinda fun, but fights with losing Greased Lightning buffs make me sad.

I do feel a loss of power going into low-level dungeons though, especially when I don't have the ability to stack Greased Lightnings.

I also play a monk and I've been doing enough side quests that I've over leveled for the main story quest by like 3 or 4 levels. It sucks because as soon as I get a really cool ability I immediately get pushed into a dungeon that syncs me out of being able to use it.

I was so excited to get steel peak and shoulder tackle because I could finally stun/interrupt enemy abilities, then i had to go to brayflox and couldn't do either :smith:

To make matters worse brayflox was my first experience with a bad tank, who did not know what "flash" was and spent most of his time casting Cure on himself.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was thinking of PVP marauder as well.

marauder was still rear end compared to a decent paladin that could keep poo poo locked down, you didnt need their burst if you had a sch/smn in your party

frontlines tank damage didnt matter at all because you had an entirely defensive lb and they added the job stone pvp bonuses

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Prop Wash posted:

To make matters worse brayflox was my first experience with a bad tank, who did not know what "flash" was and spent most of his time casting Cure on himself.

I ran into a PLD in LDR that refused to use flash, and when we called him out on it, his response was "It's a duty, aggro is everywhere". :psyduck:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Fister Roboto posted:

The Triple Triad cards are kinda this, they have lore blurbs or quotes in the Card List. Though a more comprehensive bestiary would be awesome too!

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

year199X posted:

I ran into a PLD in LDR that refused to use flash, and when we called him out on it, his response was "It's a duty, aggro is everywhere". :psyduck:

That's pretty deep yo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Veks posted:

The Triple Triad cards are kinda this, they have lore blurbs or quotes in the Card List. Though a more comprehensive bestiary would be awesome too!

If they add s bestiary then you'd probably have to go kill stuff to unlock the bestiary entries. And I would feel compelled to go back and kill one of every goddamn thing there is. So it'd be both the worst and the best thing.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I hope they do this just so I can watch the hilarity of level 60s competing for star marmot kills for an hour before things inevitably settle down.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Thundarr posted:

If they add s bestiary then you'd probably have to go kill stuff to unlock the bestiary entries. And I would feel compelled to go back and kill one of every goddamn thing there is. So it'd be both the worst and the best thing.

I wouldn't mind this. It'd be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Suitaru posted:

This is a good idea. There was one in FF12, wasn't there? Come on, Koji, I want to know exactly how La Noscean farmers use dodo poo poo to fertilize their popoto fields. Tell me all about it. give it to me

Something something PS3 farts.

EDIT: is there a linkshell that all 3 goon guilds on Excal share?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 2, 2015

• Locked thread