Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah but compare that to C++ where if you take an object by reference, that object can't be null no matter what. It seems to me like if I couldn't trust that that was true I'd have to write a bunch of checks in every function to make sure that none of the arguments were null. I haven't written Java since high school though so I have no idea how that actually works in practice.

In C++ passing by non-const reference is crazy (some people disagree with that, but they are crazy) so you'll pass by pointer. A good API won't allow that pointer to be null, though. Honestly in C++ null pointer segfaults when they do happen are a delightfully benign problem, compared to use-after-free, multithreading bugs, IMO anything that gives you a clear stacktrace like that is a luxury. Null pointer bugs did become a small problem with one new employee though -- the fresher that thought Lisp was good started doing bad poo poo, making functions that accept null pointers whose meaning was redundant with an empty value -- and the fresher that thought Haskell was good did not do that -- also, the Lispic dev introduced dumb use-after-free pointer-escaping bugs that the Haskellite would never have done. So now I'd bet being an insufferable Haskell-programming moron helps young people get better software taste more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

At the risk of outing myself as a crazy person, what's wrong with passing by non-const reference? Is it just that using pointer syntax reminds you that you are mutating something?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sarehu posted:

In C++ passing by non-const reference is crazy (some people disagree with that, but they are crazy) so you'll pass by pointer. A good API won't allow that pointer to be null, though. Honestly in C++ null pointer segfaults when they do happen are a delightfully benign problem, compared to use-after-free, multithreading bugs, IMO anything that gives you a clear stacktrace like that is a luxury. Null pointer bugs did become a small problem with one new employee though -- the fresher that thought Lisp was good started doing bad poo poo, making functions that accept null pointers whose meaning was redundant with an empty value -- and the fresher that thought Haskell was good did not do that -- also, the Lispic dev introduced dumb use-after-free pointer-escaping bugs that the Haskellite would never have done. So now I'd bet being an insufferable Haskell-programming moron helps young people get better software taste more quickly.

haskell is good.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah but compare that to C++ where if you take an object by reference, that object can't be null no matter what. It seems to me like if I couldn't trust that that was true I'd have to write a bunch of checks in every function to make sure that none of the arguments were null. I haven't written Java since high school though so I have no idea how that actually works in practice.

in c# we get cool things like ? when you think you might get a null and you want to easily handle the null case when you do a thing with it

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Bloody posted:

in c# we get cool things like ? when you think you might get a null and you want to easily handle the null case when you do a thing with it

some on the C# team wish that reference types required ?/Nullable<T> to be nullable too

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

VikingofRock posted:

At the risk of outing myself as a crazy person, what's wrong with passing by non-const reference? Is it just that using pointer syntax reminds you that you are mutating something?

yeah. the thing is that nowhere else in c/++, with a couple very confusing exceptions, do you have pass-non-const-reference-by-value semantics. so to reduce the cognitive overhead of always having to wonder whether something is mutable, it's better to explicitly show that it is by using ->.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Bloody posted:

pretty sure c# ? is just syntactic sugar for optionals

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

uncurable mlady posted:

it's for any nullable type

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Phobeste posted:

yeah. the thing is that nowhere else in c/++, with a couple very confusing exceptions, do you have pass-non-const-reference-by-value semantics. so to reduce the cognitive overhead of always having to wonder whether something is mutable, it's better to explicitly show that it is by using ->.

I guess I can see that, but personally I don't really think it's that big a cognitive overhead and I'd rather have the compile time guarantee that the value is not null :shrug:. But it's good to know that passing by pointer is idiomatic in case I ever write C++ on a team.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

VikingofRock posted:

I guess I can see that, but personally I don't really think it's that big a cognitive overhead and I'd rather have the compile time guarantee that the value is not null :shrug:. But it's good to know that passing by pointer is idiomatic in case I ever write C++ on a team.

on my team it is very much not the norm. we pass by non-const ref all the time.

kind of wish there was a way to annotate that at the call site though (like c#'s ref/out) but it isn't too bad.

sometimes we pass pointers by ref lol. this is mainly used to get a reference to an object as an out parameter, since you can't reseat references

I actually kind of like it. it's nice to only rarely have to look for a null pointer.

we have a strict coding style rule to always annotate your function params with SAL annotations (_In_, _Out_, _Out_maybenull_, etc) and static analysis tools to catch deviations from these promises, so at least all you have to do is look at the declaration to figure this out

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

uncurable mlady posted:

sort of, it's syntactic sugar for Nullable<T>, where T is a value type

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's not too bad though, i rather argue that typed cascading nulls is a very effective solution that requires far fewer changes (so a.b.f(x,y) is the appropriate null if a, b, x or y is null, if b::f expects non-null arguments)

comes with a cost, but makes the actual programming straightforward and neat (unused values being nonexisting cause no issues etc) while making the failure mode predictable.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
did anyone, ever, talk about a "contract" between a producer/consumer before those dirty rubyists re-invented everything

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i think that contracts in their currently-popular incarnation were more of a js thing to try and make node somewhat tractable, most rails code was basically one-thread processes not talking to each other trivial horizontal concurrency for a long time unless i'm mistaken

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Blotto Skorzany posted:

i think that contracts in their currently-popular incarnation were more of a js thing to try and make node somewhat tractable, most rails code was basically one-thread processes not talking to each other trivial horizontal concurrency for a long time unless i'm mistaken

are you thinking of promises?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
probably.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
yeah the only language I know of that had "contracts" i.e. bits of code that assure various invariants about a method call, was eiffel.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
design by contract seems like more of a development methodology than a language feature. your contracts are either compile-time invariants (like types) or runtime assertion checks. what else could they possibly be? language-level support might encourage the practice, give better error messages, etc... but you can check pre- and post-conditions in any language if you want to

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Eiffel had support for class instance invariants too though, which would execute after each method to ensure the invariants were upheld.

Language support is nice if you can strip it out of runtime once the contracts are proved over time I guess.

edit: But yeah, it's more a dev methodology, works pretty well as it makes it easy to design unit tests using that as it's concept.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Zaxxon posted:

yeah the only language I know of that had "contracts" i.e. bits of code that assure various invariants about a method call, was eiffel.

D has them

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
c# has contracts too but no one uses them

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

VikingofRock posted:

To make the callsite clearer.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

VikingofRock posted:

Non-const references are certainly just a style concern and will vary from team to team. That said, it it's important to understand that references of any kind are you promising to the compiler that you'll never bind them to an invalid address. It's very easy to write a program that will do so without doing anything particularly strange and the compiler won't stop you.

On the other hand, using references provides enough information to other tools (for example, clang's undefined behavior sanitizer) to automatically insert runtime sanity checks everywhere appropriate to catch this kind of error and abort with an informative error message and backtrace.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

No Pants posted:

sort of, it's syntactic sugar for Nullable<T>, where T is a value type

ah

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Doesn't Ada also run contracts and range checks and stuff? Ada is pretty much the language with the best track record out there or something isn't it?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok, now name a program in wide use written in Ada.

I guess my point is that it's easy to say "but THAT'S the good programming language" when nobody uses it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

United States FAA Air Route Traffic Control Centers Display System Replacement (DSR)
Boeing 787 Air Conditioning Control Unit
European Train Control System (ETCS)
Atlas V
International Space Station Flight Software
U.S. Internal Revenue Service, Product Assurance Division
US Navy ejection seat sequencer (f35 lol)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
in strong typing we trust. that's great

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
yeah i dunno if ada is a great example of a dork language nobody actually uses in the real world

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

GrumpyDoctor posted:

yeah i dunno if ada is a great example of a dork language nobody actually uses in the real world

lol, it's actually haskell

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MononcQc posted:

Doesn't Ada also run contracts and range checks and stuff? Ada is pretty much the language with the best track record out there or something isn't it?

Yes, and it makes it very easy to define e.g. an integer type which must be between 1 and 100.

I'd love to work on an ada project

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i have worked with ada professionally, i liked it

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

hackbunny posted:

some on the C# team wish that reference types required ?/Nullable<T> to be nullable too

specifically eric lippert has said as much in an earlier column but by the time nullable value types were added it was *wayyyy* too late to go back on that.

as i've gotten back into c/c++ i found it interesting that null is *not* a hole in the type system in those languages since you have an explicit syntactic distinction between a value and a reference to a value. in other words null makes perfect sense given c/c++'s type semantics.

makes it all the more baffling that java adopted null blindly because, i dunno, "everything's a reference, references are like pointers, therefore references can be null". seems even more obvious you'd want a clearer distinction but maybe that's 20 years of language development hindsight.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dr Monkeysee posted:

specifically eric lippert has said as much in an earlier column but by the time nullable value types were added it was *wayyyy* too late to go back on that.

as i've gotten back into c/c++ i found it interesting that null is *not* a hole in the type system in those languages since you have an explicit syntactic distinction between a value and a reference to a value. in other words null makes perfect sense given c/c++'s type semantics.

makes it all the more baffling that java adopted null blindly because, i dunno, "everything's a reference, references are like pointers, therefore references can be null". seems even more obvious you'd want a clearer distinction but maybe that's 20 years of language development hindsight.

yes it is, although C++ has some facilities to mitigate this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_(programming_language)

Cyclone is a C dialect that basically fixes the more egregious memory safety issues with C (i.e. some pointers must never be NULL) and not much else. Nobody uses it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dr Monkeysee posted:

You have to have some kind of value for uninitialized references. Class constructors might not initialize all of a class's fields, and arrays have to start out in some state.

It might have been a good decision to eliminate null as a keyword. Even more radically, throw a null pointer exception when a null reference is used in a reference comparison (but that would hurt performance). In a software project I'm making right now, the only use of the null keyword is in janitoring objects in and out of their default-constructed state.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Mr Dog posted:

yes it is, although C++ has some facilities to mitigate this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_(programming_language)

Cyclone is a C dialect that basically fixes the more egregious memory safety issues with C (i.e. some pointers must never be NULL) and not much else. Nobody uses it.

sure nulls can create dangerous conditions when working with memory in c/c++ but that seems orthogonal to whether it's a hole in the type system. low-level memory manipulation is dangerous. but the pointer-ness is explicit, a my_struct* is not a my_struct and a 0-bit my_struct* is perfectly in line with the semantics of the type my_struct*. c++ makes this even more explicit by distinguishing between pointers and references.

as opposed to java/c# etc where a MyClass variable can be treated as an alias for a MyClass value except when it can't.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

sarehu posted:

You have to have some kind of value for uninitialized references. Class constructors might not initialize all of a class's fields, and arrays have to start out in some state.

It might have been a good decision to eliminate null as a keyword. Even more radically, throw a null pointer exception when a null reference is used in a reference comparison (but that would hurt performance). In a software project I'm making right now, the only use of the null keyword is in janitoring objects in and out of their default-constructed state.

yeah true and i suppose even languages that deal entirely in optional types still have the notion of a "this is a reference to nothing". probably mostly navel-gazing since it's relatively straightforward to organize java/c# code to avoid null references almost entirely and at least on the projects i've ever worked on a thrown null ref exception is treated as a developer error and not a "handle and move on" scenario. i just found it interesting that the languages that popularized null actually incorporate that value in a way that isn't incongruous with the rest of their type systems.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

sarehu posted:

it can indeed be painful to do without null altogether in the context of a language like java or c# where you're working with potentially complex class initialization. a less extreme approach would be the ability to specify that a field is never null once a constructor has finished, or that a field never becomes null again if it has ever been assigned. but there are a lot of permutations like that, and supporting too many of them would be unwieldy.

in practice, simply requiring non-nullable references always to be initialized at the point of declaration (or within a constructor in a way that the compiler can prove precedes any reads) would be workable in the vast majority of cases. today's @nonnull/@nullable would be tolerable if they had a cleaner syntax and everything already used them consistently.

fixed-length arrays are always going to be a problem, but if your code needs to interact directly with them instead of hiding them behind a variable-length list class then you're working at a sufficiently low level that it's reasonable to expect you to take extra care.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it's a static vs. dynamic trade-off. optional types can be really frustrating and onerous to work with. general abstractions throw optionals in your face all the time for seemingly pedantic reasons. anything you do to address that becomes a source of language complexity and, potentially, a safety hole. optionals make you put up with an awful lot of poo poo in order to get your job done

and i say all this as the person who drove a lot of the design of optionals in swift. of course, overlaying optionals on an existing ubiquitous-null system like c has its own challenges, which we're gradually improving on; but a lot of them are just inherent to optional types. i still think it was 100% the right move, but it is very much a "take your medicine" thing for users which is not something you get to do too many times, and we forsook a lot of language simplicity forever when we did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

all the rust code i've written is followed by a healthy dose of unwrap() or expect() or unwrap_and_then() etc to make optionals a little more pleasant, does swift have the same sugar?