Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cerv posted:

you're going to have to put these all in a spreadsheet on whatever cloud service
or you'll keep getting more duplicate suggestions

I'm gonna transplant the CORE SPREADSHEET once I watch another few serials; sitting on 1/6 watched, so the chance is still pretty low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZQQnkoOfGDAjVHmTIMZI9RwB5J9vWJSU-y6klgfltPI/edit?usp=sharing

Here we are. Feel free to add comments or whatever if you really want!

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 2, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh hey, now I know which ones you haven't seen.

Good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Time Meddler is up next, as I recall someone suggesting that

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sir, I wish to take issue with your interpretation of story naming conventions :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Time Meddler is up next, as I recall someone suggesting that

I throw the Gauntlet down for the Invasion then, as you have not seen it. Apparently.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Sir, I wish to take issue with your interpretation of story naming conventions :colbert:

Dear Sir,

It's copied and pasted from a list of Doctor Who serials. I'm not going to handwrite the viewing figures!

Burkion posted:

I throw the Gauntlet down for the Invasion then, as you have not seen it. Apparently.

I've seen all the classic serials, these are the ones I've watched in the last fortnight

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Dear Sir,

It's copied and pasted from a list of Doctor Who serials. I'm not going to handwrite the viewing figures!

I've seen all the classic serials, these are the ones I've watched in the last fortnight

Ah OK.

Maybe something from a darker corner then.

When's the last time you've seen Invasion of the Dinosaurs

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pertwee needs to be next, so Invasion of the Dinosaurs it is

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

In a serial of great lines, I think And remember, NO MORE MONKERY is my favourite

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Time Meddler" owns so hard.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In a serial of great lines, I think And remember, NO MORE MONKERY is my favourite

If I ever made a Doctor Who quote my ring tone, this would be it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm gonna transplant the CORE SPREADSHEET once I watch another few serials; sitting on 1/6 watched, so the chance is still pretty low

Low if you assume a uniform random distribution, but you k ow in reality we'll keep saying Genesis.

You're low on McCoys so I'm suggesting Battlefield it's great.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Peter Miles or Philip Madoc, guest star fight to the death

[edit]

Also don't just suggest things that are great, I need to watch the poo poo some time!

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 2, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Peter Miles or Philip Madoc, guest star fight to the death

Philip Madoc forever :swoon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Philip Madoc forever :swoon:

Anyone who disagrees... I am taking notes, and your name is going on the List.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yes, but that list is going to be disposed of by the Peter Miles character

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also let's not forget Kevin Stoney.

"..... Packer :smug:"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just wrapped up Revenge of the Cybermen.

I'm sorry, did the Doctor just drift a SPACE STATION?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I'm sorry

I'm just glad you got through this rough period in your life. :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Also let's not forget Kevin Stoney.

"..... Packer :smug:"

CobiWann posted:

I'm sorry, did the Doctor just drift a SPACE STATION?

I think CobiWann is trying to forget :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Invasion of the Dinosaurs would definitely be a 4 or 5 if it wasn't just the Evil Military Types of The Ambassadors of Death stitched together with the evil plan from The Enemy of the World. As it is, it gets 3

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

gently caress all that "after the actor's dead make his character into a flying corpse while his "daughter" pseudofanwank confuses the gently caress out of new viewers", this is Nicholas Courtney's sendoff

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just glad you got through this rough period in your life. :ohdear:

To be fair, after Joseph Lidster every story is an improvement.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

This has probably been asked(maybe even by me), but I got that Doctor Who Audio Humble Bundle last year, and I was wondering if any of the sets are better than the others. Basically, which should I start with, Dalek Empire, Lost Stories, or The Stageplays?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 3, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Dalek Cutaway is an interesting one, because obviously nothing actually happens in it. However, the bits with the humans in is still nicely atmospheric, and it is after all Lambert's last story. Unfortunately the bit with the daleks is complete rubbish, they appear to be well into the process of being told to jiggle more when speaking so we can see from more than the lights which one it is (not that anyone cares about that)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

gently caress all that "after the actor's dead make his character into a flying corpse while his "daughter" pseudofanwank confuses the gently caress out of new viewers", this is Nicholas Courtney's sendoff

But you haven't watched Battlefield...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

But you haven't watched Battlefield...

Eh?

I've both seen battlefield before and posted that while watching it

Cerv posted:

You're low on McCoys so I'm suggesting Battlefield it's great.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Anyway up next is occasionally referred to as a classic, I'll be watching that one from on the bike down at the gym so no updates during it

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

RodShaft posted:

This has probably been asked(maybe even by me), but I got that Doctor Who Audio Humble Bundle last year, and I was wondering if any of the sets are better than the others. Basically, which should I start with, Dalek Empire, Lost Stories, or The Stageplays?

They're all kind of... weird. The stageplays are all pretty faithful to the time periods in which they were written, and very much with children in mind. The results are pretty mixed: The Ultimate Adventure is goofy, over-the-top fun, Seven Keys to Doomsday suffers from the transition to audio as everything was intended to be visually effective rather than narratively ("Look out, Doctor! That big threat is... oh, you're already done with it. Let's move on to the next set piece!") and Curse of the Daleks is very 60s in its slow pace, Space Patrol trappings, and weird sexism.

The Dalek Empire series is very much the type of space opera you only otherwise see in novels, with a huge scope in both setting and time : getting from planet to planet is a big deal, there are jumps in years, characters get killed off left and right, major changes to the setting happen, that sort of thing. I enjoyed it more once I realized that's what they were going after. It also makes the Dalek conversion process utterly terrifying and Lovecraftian (also the saving grace of the Cyberman spin-off). Oh, and the third season features a fan-turned-actor in his first starring Doctor Who universe role: Davie Tennan-something.

I haven't gotten to the Lost Stories yet, so someone else will have to weigh in on those.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I like what I've heard of the Lost Stories. They feel pretty much like old school episodes, as most of them actually were to some extent which just didn't get made.

Just be warned there are a couple that are just really bad. Prison in Space is probably the worst one I can remember.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anyway up next is occasionally referred to as a classic, I'll be watching that one from on the bike down at the gym so no updates during it

Surely if you're going to watch one story while on a gym bike, it should be Terror of the Vervoids?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I still like Blood of the Daleks and Immortal Beloved for audios.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Surely if you're going to watch one story while on a gym bike, it should be Terror of the Vervoids?

My tablet couldn't play the video anyway, so I went with my avatar and watched the cricket instead

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Davros1 posted:

Probably not going to be a spoiler for much longer since it's being announced everyone now, but River Song's back for the Christmas Special

Oh for god's sake.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Wheel in Space is really stunningly mediocre. Hugely convoluted and nonsensical, glacially paced and plenty of dialogue-less sequences in the missing episodes (not their fault, this one, admittedly).

The Australian engineer who tries to keep the cybermat as a pet is a low point

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Give yourself a treat and watch The Ribos Operation.
Or don't, and watch The Power of Kroll

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Well, it’s Friday, which means…

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/special-offers-on-doctor-who-the-companion-chronicles

I can personally speak that the below Companion Chronicles are quite excellent and worth the pick up.

Old Soldiers (The Brigadier)
The Mahogony Murderers (Jago and Litefoot)
Peri and the Piscon Paradox (Peri)
Solitaire (Charley)
The Rocket Men / Return of the Rocket Men (Ian)
The First Wave (Steven)
The Memory Cheats (Zoe)
The Catalyst (Leela)
The Blue Tooth (Liz Shaw) (here is your good Cybermen story!)
The Magician’s Oath (Mike Yates)
The Glorious Revolution (Jamie)

Companion Chronicles are stories told by the companions, so you’re not getting the Doctor in most of them (with some later-day exceptions) but companions narrating the Doctor’s dialogue in their own unique voice. For those of you more in tune with the classic era of the classic era (One, Two, and Three), some of these might be up your alley. Frazier Hines doing his impersonation of the Second Doctor is drat spot on…

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Excellent, I missed Peri and the Piscon Paradox last time it was on sale but have wanted to listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Excellent, I missed Peri and the Piscon Paradox last time it was on sale but have wanted to listen to it.

And now I know where your avatar comes from as well!

• Locked thread