Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Dario the Wop posted:

Found something going through an old external HD...

May I post the rest?

Is this the edit with "dogs love Superboy and dogs love genocide"? Now that takes me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

FoneBone posted:

Is this the edit with "dogs love Superboy and dogs love genocide"? Now that takes me back.
Yep!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For me the goofiest use of heroes is that comic Marvel distributed to explain their growth as a company and their future plans. It's so ludicrous.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"THAT'S HOW BLUDHAVEN ROLLS!" just made one of the worst results of Infinite Crisis almost worth it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dario the Wop posted:

May I post the rest?

We don't have a Ruin the Moment thread at the moment so I guess this is the best place for it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For me the goofiest use of heroes is that comic Marvel distributed to explain their growth as a company and their future plans. It's so ludicrous.

It was actually their annual report to shareholders. So the only people who got a copy were very serious guys in suits.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Choco1980 posted:

Speaking of PSA tie in comics, I had a bunch of old Popeye Career Path comics we found by the school's dumpster when I was a kid. Basically it's Popeye and the gang teaching high schoolers about what jobs they might look into to make things easy for guidance counselors. Then there's the lady cops that have to try to convince hookers to go straight.

Times so tough a strippers platform shoes got repo'ed. Gawddamn.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

Speaking of PSA tie in comics, I had a bunch of old Popeye Career Path comics we found by the school's dumpster when I was a kid. Basically it's Popeye and the gang teaching high schoolers about what jobs they might look into to make things easy for guidance counselors. Then there's the lady cops that have to try to convince hookers to go straight.

I'm betting Popeye knows a lot about hookers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edited Crisis was the best thing to come out of that loving event. Its a shame the rest of the issues never got the same treatment like Civil War was lucky enough to get.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Esplanade posted:

I'm betting Popeye knows a lot about hookers.

A sailor man gets lonely out on the high seas, with only spinach and forearm gigantism to keep him company. Given that Olive Oyl has the feminine wiles of a 12-year-old boy, can you really blame Popeye for buying a bit of dockside strange on the side?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ecavalli posted:

A sailor man gets lonely out on the high seas, with only spinach and forearm gigantism to keep him company. Given that Olive Oyl has the feminine wiles of a 12-year-old boy, can you really blame Popeye for buying a bit of dockside strange on the side?

Me thinks Popeyes was more into ships boys than Portsmouth brutes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ecavalli posted:

There's a song all about this very subject.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Was expecting this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl160czHD-c

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Just posting to remind you people that Groot is the best book Marvel is putting out at the moment and you are all terrible for not reading it.

Groot #4

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

This single edited panel has done more to make me like Connor than nearly a decade of comics and a decent cartoon series has ever been able to.

(I hate when doggies get hurt and I never read crisis)

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 2, 2015

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

SilverSupernova posted:

Just posting to remind you people that Groot is the best book Marvel is putting out at the moment and you are all terrible for not reading it.

I loved the final page homage to the end of Uncanny X-Men #132

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

SilverSupernova posted:

This is the greatest thing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

... somebody actually remembers Sledge Hammer!?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The licensing would be a pain in the rear end, but I would be %100 behind a "league of this year's pop culture icons" series that updated it's cast yearly.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 2, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Selachian posted:

... somebody actually remembers Sledge Hammer!?

Oh I know you ain't talkin poo poo about Alan Spencer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

At least one of these two teams should include Ash of Evil Dead fame.

The 90s one seems a lot less good than the 80s one. The 80s one is about 2 degrees from believable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay I get Edward Scissorshands, Lydia from Bettlejuice, Dana Sully from X Files, Zach from Saved by the Bell and Rufus from Bill & Ted.

Who is the guy in the middle? Mal Reynolds from Firefly? He's from the mid 2000's.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Okay I get Edward Scissorshands, Lydia from Bettlejuice, Dana Sully from X Files, Zach from Saved by the Bell and Rufus from Bill & Ted.

Who is the guy in the middle? Mal Reynolds from Firefly? He's from the mid 2000's.

Detective "Tequila" Yuen from Hardboiled

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The Question IRL posted:

Go watch Hard Boiled immediately.

Edit: Also, that's not Lydia from Beetlejuice (although that's not a bad idea). It's Nancy Downs from The Craft.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Question IRL posted:

Lydia from Bettlejuice

She's from The Craft, actually.

Beetlejuice is 1988, and if there was a real 80s pop culture team Beetlejuice himself would actually be an a really good team fit.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

theflyingorc posted:

At least one of these two teams should include Ash of Evil Dead fame.

The 90s one seems a lot less good than the 80s one. The 80s one is about 2 degrees from believable.

What's less good about the 90s one? Too overpowered, what with having a time traveler in addition to a guy that can stop time?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Technically, shouldn't Rufus be in one in the far future?

(I literally haven't seen Bill and Ted in over a decade and do not remember what year Rufus is originally from.)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sefer posted:

What's less good about the 90s one? Too overpowered, what with having a time traveler in addition to a guy that can stop time?

The Zach Morris one is leaning almost entirely on a joke, all the other ones apart from Sculley aren't really as Iconic as a single one of the 80s characters.

Sculley's great, I'd switch the rest of the team out - Alan Grant from Jurassic Park, John Connor from Terminator 2 (or the robot itself), Hannibal Lector, Bill Murray from Groundhog Day as a man with access to lifetime upon lifetime of information and skills*, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

*only somewhat joking

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the topic of LOEG parodies / homages - I quite enjoy this one, which casts fictional characters as British prime ministers. Be warned, though, it is quite British.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would say it's paid less attention to assembling a 'team' than just including some cool characters.
Like it should be Mulder instead of Scully invited to serve on the secret team about weird poo poo going down because otherwise it violates the fourth wall of their characterisation on their own show. Zack is a teenager who brings literally nothing to the team except being an rear end, and you'd get that and more by using obscure legend Sledgehammer, who would totally be down for shooting anything he was pointed at. Rufus is from a thing in the 90s but he's explicitly from the future so he'd be better served being replaced by Bill or Ted, whichever of them was in danger of ending up at military school.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I really don't think anybody was still thinking about Edward Scissorhands in 1996.

Replace him with Jerry Seinfeld and we'll talk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"That clearly Asian man looks like Malcom Reynolds."

loving Firefly fans.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zach Morris should obviously be replaced by Kubiac from Parker Lewis Can't Lose as the heavy hitter.

1996 is a weird time, it turns out that most of the stuff I remember is either from the early 90s or the late 90s so it doesn't really fit. Looks like Sabrina got beaten out by the Craft for the witch spot. I guess you could put in Jarod from The Pretender.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Teri Hatcher's Lois Lane is a mid 90's icon and her exclusion from the team is insulting. Also Connor McCleod belongs on the 80's team.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Zack Morris can stop time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Zack Morris can stop time.

Teri Hatcher was the first person to break the internet. Her photos with the cape were causing massive AOL service problems.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I hope the 80's League has a serious case of buyer's remorse when they realize the Ol' Porkchop express Jack Burton isn't good for much besides catching knives and driving big rigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

Rufus is from a thing in the 90s but he's explicitly from the future so he'd be better served being replaced by Bill or Ted, whichever of them was in danger of ending up at military school.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure came out in 1989. :colbert: