Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

You think you got it bad, we plan these things years before you even hear of them!

So, The Ring of Fire will be followed by The Temple of Od and that's followed by, uh, poo poo, I don't think we have a name for the one after that yet. We should figure that one out.

After that we have a toss up. We're doing all of these eventually, we just don't know in what order. Definitely not chronological though, 'cause that's boring. Also it behooves us to cut back to the present day for every second or third story to see how things are progressing in The Weird Future.

There's our big '60s spy escapade with The Spear of Destiny. This would be the Sparrow II story. Probably Sparrow I too. She still hates Robo.

Or our big '70s blaxploitation (botsploitation?) opus with Diamonds are for Never. Heroes for Hire crossed with Leverage in the 1970s. Also, I appreciate the irony that we're not using the Bond-like title for the Bond-like story.

Or our big '80s cyberpunk foray with The Mirrorshade Overdrive. Wargames by way of Project Daedalus.

Or our big '90s action movie romp with The Soldiers of Fortune. A bunch of old school Cold War science agents get dragged out of retirement for one last big mission to save the world.

These things. All of them. They all sound amazing. Is there any way to just do, like, all of them at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

These things. All of them. They all sound amazing. Is there any way to just do, like, all of them at once?
We're going as fast as we can!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

We're going as fast as we can!

Not fast enough! From now on you only get one bathroom break a day.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

Not fast enough! From now on you only get one bathroom break a day.
My coffee and beer intake is gonna make this an ugly policy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

My coffee and beer intake is gonna make this an ugly policy.

Better keep the coffee can under your desk then.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"Also complicated."

I'm calling it now, Robo is plugged into Dept. Zero's ship (which may or may not convert into a giant robot) to fight biomega.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

8one6 posted:

"Also complicated."

I'm calling it now, Robo is plugged into Dept. Zero's ship (which may or may not convert into a giant robot) to fight biomega.

I still think he's going to get plugged into bigger and bigger robots, nesting doll style, until he's in a robot big enough to punch a giant octo-crab-squid.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Robo's current body makes me think of the Jameson types from GitS.

Curious if that was a homage or if both shows are basing the design off some real-world robot I'm not familiar with.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bucnasti posted:

I still think he's going to get plugged into bigger and bigger robots, nesting doll style, until he's in a robot big enough to punch a giant octo-crab-squid.

Hyperactive posted:

TL;DR: Robo will absolutely punch Biomega, but in a bigger and better and more sci-fi way than "merely" installing his head in a giant robot.

Bobulus posted:

Robo's current body makes me think of the Jameson types from GitS.

Curious if that was a homage or if both shows are basing the design off some real-world robot I'm not familiar with.
That is almost certainly part of the inspiration for Robo's current look. I don't think Scott's ever seen the show, but Ghost in the Shell tech is exactly the sort of thing he'd seek out when surveying visual references.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just out of curiosity, how are you guys doing with the latest kickstarter? There haven't been any updates, but are you guys still on schedule for November?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Just out of curiosity, how are you guys doing with the latest kickstarter? There haven't been any updates, but are you guys still on schedule for November?

Update later this week or early next. There just wasn't any interesting news until now!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Update later this week or early next. There just wasn't any interesting news until now!

Hooray! :D

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This is mostly posed at the thread and will be an odd question, but I'm thinking of starting a play-by-post game using Atomic Robo's RPG called "From Robo With Love." I'm thinking of having it be a short campaign involving some "soviet" espionage action. My main problem: I can't think of a good reason for how the Soviets would capture Robo. See, I didn't want to deal with the "Who gets to be Robo" thing so I wanted saving Robo to be the objective. Problem is, I just can't think of a good way for Robo to get caught and for Telsadyne to assume the USSR is behind it.

Then again, I could be focusing too much on having Robo be caught near the USSR. Thinking about it now, getting ambushed by agents in his apartment could suffice.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Isn't the Department Zero / DELPHI faction tailor-made for that sort of thing? Have Robo follow a lead on weaponized Teslatech, get him ambushed by folks who want to dismantlereverse-engineer him, and bring in the PCs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Covok posted:

This is mostly posed at the thread and will be an odd question, but I'm thinking of starting a play-by-post game using Atomic Robo's RPG called "From Robo With Love." I'm thinking of having it be a short campaign involving some "soviet" espionage action. My main problem: I can't think of a good reason for how the Soviets would capture Robo. See, I didn't want to deal with the "Who gets to be Robo" thing so I wanted saving Robo to be the objective. Problem is, I just can't think of a good way for Robo to get caught and for Telsadyne to assume the USSR is behind it.

Then again, I could be focusing too much on having Robo be caught near the USSR. Thinking about it now, getting ambushed by agents in his apartment could suffice.

In the 1957 chapter of Shadow from Beyond Time, Robo is out looking for bits that fell off of Sputnik. That particular trip ends in Lovecraftian terror, sure, but he eventually finds one. An overwhelming force of USSR action scientists find it at the same time, and they came prepared with methods of capturing Robo; you could maybe have them equipped with Heisengard tech they barely understand or something.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Are you looking for this to take place in the 60s? Because when he went to Mars in 1975, we never see him coming back to earth, the Soviets could have intercepted him when his capsule came back to earth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Are you looking for this to take place in the 60s? Because when he went to Mars in 1975, we never see him coming back to earth, the Soviets could have intercepted him when his capsule came back to earth.

HAWKING! :argh:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Covok posted:

There's a couple things you can do.

1. Don't get rid of Robo.
He's not nearly as unbalancing a presence as everyone thinks he will be. Yeah, he automatically wins any contest of strength and automatically ignores gunfire, but that just makes him an easy target. I've played as Robo in a couple games where everyone else was an ordinary human. And they were never chumped by what Robo did. All you have to do as a GM is what we do in the comic: give Robo a threat that he can endure but not necessarily defeat. Then he spends his actions and resources trying to keep his comrades alive and his comrades spend their actions and resources trying to boost his efforts and/or ultimately defeat the threat they dare not oppose directly.

It's just really easy for Robo to NOT steal the spotlight or to wildly imbalance a given encounter. The way Fate works, everyone has fairly equal narrative oomphf, so it's not nearly as game breaking to be invincible as it would be in, say, any iteration of D&D.

2. Robo's on another mission.
You don't need to concoct an excuse to capture or subdue Robo. The world's a big place and he can't be everywhere at once. Maybe there's a mission that should be a routine patrol, but it suddenly goes squirrely and now you've got a full on World Shattering Problem and your players are the only guys and gals on deck and there's no time to find anyone else more qualified or robotic.

3. It's easy to capture or subdue Robo.
Magnets or an EMP can incapacitate him as much as you need. Robo is actually super easy to chump because he almost always acts based on the assumption that he's stronger and tougher than whatever the hell is going on. And, in his defense, he often is. But this impetuous impulse can, and should, backfire on him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I am intrigued by these "Magnets". Could you tell me how they work?

CRYSTALS!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

But is the ambiance required?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

SOLID ADVICE

This is all really good stuff, I think for running any game set in a universe where there's one or two characters who everyone might want to play. The other thing I'd note is that, despite expectations, you'd be surprised how often nobody wants to play as that Obvious Character. Settings like Atomic Robo are fertile enough ground for new characters that a lot of players aren't going to want to stick to the "easy" option of playing Robo.

That said, Hyperactive, how weird is it to play your own comic book character in a game based on said comic book character?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That said, Hyperactive, how weird is it to play your own comic book character in a game based on said comic book character?
Not that weird. The game plays remarkably like our brainstorming and writing sessions, so it's fairly natural. As a result, Scott and I don't like to play the game. It feels exactly like work.

Luckily for everyone else, we're the only two people in the world who will have that problem. And, hey, the RPG isn't for us. We get to create the comics and make up stuff for the RPG supplements, so we're already having Maximum Atomic Robo Fun. The RPG is for you guys to see what it's like behind the curtain.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

so it's not nearly as game breaking to be invincible as it would be in, say, any iteration of D&D
On the other hand, I'm reading that analysis (is it still an analysis coming from the writer himself?) and I'm thinking, that's precisely a 4E fighter, or really any defender, both in terms of how they work mechanically and how they should integrate with the rest of the group.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

On the other hand, I'm reading that analysis (is it still an analysis coming from the writer himself?) and I'm thinking, that's precisely a 4E fighter, or really any defender, both in terms of how they work mechanically and how they should integrate with the rest of the group.
I don't have any experience with 4e, sad to say, but in general I wouldn't view invincible characters as a problem in and of itself. Especially if they are invincible through legit mechanical permission as you've outlined above rather than by one player exercising system mastery to cludge together a bunch of unintended effects to essentially "cheat" into invincibility. How a player gets an invincible character tends to speak to how that invincibility will be used by the player.

In Robo's case, he's not a random murderhobo with just the right feats and cross class horseshit. He's the most defined character in the comic, and everyone at the table knows that if Robo comes across a Giant Robot Ape That Can Kill His Friends, he isn't going to abandon his friends to their doom. He's going to put himself in constant danger to keep them safe and hopefully they'll figure out how to stop it before he's ripped apart.

Robo being invincible should be a liability. It's a fun liability because you're allowed to engage with it in creative ways thanks to the Fate Point economy, tactical initiative, Collateral Consequences, and Aspects.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I ran a few ARRPG demos at PAX East last year, and the set-up was that the players were a mix of action scientists, action interns, an ex-Majestic 12 security guy, and a soldier who was there as a "test subject" for cybernetic limb replacements. I set it up that Robo wasn't around because it was the start of the third shift so they were the only people in that section of Tesladyne because everyone else went home.

Hyperactive posted:

STUFF
Speaking of which, this raises a good question: what does Robo do when he's not at work? Does he have a home? Someplace he spends his free time?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which, this raises a good question: what does Robo do when he's not at work? Does he have a home? Someplace he spends his free time?
Good question! I think he used to, but he's been getting a little stranger over time.

When the series first came out, and to a lesser extent ever since, folks were puzzled/amazed that Robo did not operate like your typical robot character. He's emotional, he's funny, he can't "download" skills/knowledge, and he can forget things, etc.

The thing is, he does have superhuman mental abilities, it just never comes up in a way that makes sense to point out in the series. It does, however, inform the things he says and does, especially in times of stress. And it's not the ability as such that makes it superhuman, because we can all do it, rather it's the fact that it's Robo's default state of being.

So, y'know those glorious moments when you're at your peak level of energy, drive, creativity, and decision-making? That's what Robo is like all the time, 24/7, and he never sleeps. Which, sure, that sounds great, but it's also a little maddening when you're the ONLY person like that and everyone else is always playing catch up.

My thinking is that Robo used to have things like his own apartment. But at some point in the '60s it made sense to move into Tesladyne HQ. And then over time the amount of personal space he had just kept shrinking. By "now", or at least just prior to the big M12 takeover, I suspect Robo had nothing but an office and a personal garage/laboratory. But neither of those are personal spaces so much as places to go so he can get some work done even if everyone's asleep or to keep important files/equipment.

It's just super hard to force yourself into downtime when you're in that state of mind. And he's always in that state of mind. And there's always going to be a dozen or more things demanding Robo's attention, and he's always at a peak ability to pay attention/learn.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hmm, I'd need to go back and look, but do we see Robo doing stuff like reading comics in the present day? It's pretty clear that he'd chill out and read or go to the movies or date in the 30s or 70s, but I'm not sure any of the modern stuff has him doing normal pass-times like that, which is a neat subtle way of showing that, Hyperactive. (If I'm right. If not, welp... :shobon:)

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

Hmm, I'd need to go back and look, but do we see Robo doing stuff like reading comics in the present day? It's pretty clear that he'd chill out and read or go to the movies or date in the 30s or 70s, but I'm not sure any of the modern stuff has him doing normal pass-times like that, which is a neat subtle way of showing that, Hyperactive. (If I'm right. If not, welp... :shobon:)
Definitely in the '30s.

I think the only time we showed him being "normal" in the relatively modern day was in one of the short stories in the first Real Science Adventures volume where he visits a comic book shop in the early '90s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hyperactive posted:

I think the only time we showed him being "normal" in the relatively modern day was in one of the short stories in the first Real Science Adventures volume where he visits a comic book shop in the early '90s.

That remains one of my favorite short comics ever published. The way you used the comic market as a metaphor for the way the world has passed Robo by and a lot of what he used to love is just gone or completetly different (even though he's still right there, unaging) was super great.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's not exactly "downtime", but Robo has been shown to do some Tesladyne-related-but-really-brain-or-brawn-work stuff in the modern day, like judging that science fair, or giving interviews and such, if you're looking for excuses in your game for why he's not around.

edit: Unrelated, but I flipped over to Comixology to go look at that 90s comic book story, and they're having a half-off Atomic Robo sale right now, through Sunday night.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 6, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The real question is: how do you balance Jenkins?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

wiegieman posted:

The real question is: how do you balance Jenkins?

You don't. Just hope he's cultivating an aura of terror in a completely different hemisphere.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Looking at the new page, 2015's got a lot of chromed up dudes.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that I wonder how close the current timeline is to Shadowrun with all the weird science advancements going on for the past century. :v:

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 7, 2015

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

TurninTrix posted:

Looking at the new page, 2015's got a lot of chromed up dudes.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that I wonder how close the current timeline is to Shadowrun with all the weird science advancements going on for the past century. :v:
Wellllllllllllllllll, the sci-fi black market ship where they conduct weird and illegal experiments has a lot of chromed up dudes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

These guys are just asking to get their brains hacked by a piece of Helsingard tech that wakes up.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

wiegieman posted:

These guys are just asking to get their brains hacked by a piece of Helsingard tech that wakes up.
Stop looking in my notebook.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OMG NEW PHYSICAL ISSUE TOMORROW.

Also that awesome new collection.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

OMG NEW PHYSICAL ISSUE TOMORROW.

Also that awesome new collection.
Is that out today too? I could've sworn it wasn't due until the 24th. Could totally be wrong about that of course. I'm in the middle of writing two different upcoming volumes, so any news about release dates for the current stuff is a surprise to me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I was out all Labor Day weekend with my mates so I just saw all these awesome suggestions. You all made some good points and they really helped. I was, honestly, overthinking things.

Be on the lookout as the recruit thread should be up by weeks end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Crap. I seem to have lost my tesladyne vinyl sticker in my latest breakup. Is there some way I can buy a new one? Meant to put it on my car but never got around to it.

• Locked thread