Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Daztek posted:

How do you position the logo like that? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious.

Left stick on PS4 moves it around.

Also here's what it looks like when a storm rolls in. Dog didn't like that wall of sand.

http://youtu.be/zOghLMXue40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

If anything, the harpoon is a little too good. Chumbucket noscopes the driver if you just tap the fire button, makes dealing with some cars a little too easy.

Only on the weakest enemy cars. On later cars you need to bash off the armour and harpoon off the doors before you can get at the driver.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Parkingtigers posted:

Is there any benefit in taking the convoy lead vehicle back to your stronghold? I just wanted to make sure I got my car trophy, as it was my first successful convoy takedown.

I tried this last night for collection purposes and not only is the lead convoy vehicle not collectable, trying to do so prevents you from taking the hood ornament by despawning the car, completely negating your efforts :v:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Songbearer posted:

I tried this last night for collection purposes and not only is the lead convoy vehicle not collectable, trying to do so prevents you from taking the hood ornament by despawning the car, completely negating your efforts :v:

Exactly what I was afraid of.

Content: Chumbucket saves me from being run over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDjOXSEEgU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
This game is good. The review sites that are making GBS threads on it are the same that never think twice about glorifying the bunch of crap that ubisoft releases every year.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Left stick on PS4 moves it around.

Also here's what it looks like when a storm rolls in. Dog didn't like that wall of sand.

http://youtu.be/zOghLMXue40

Darn, I can't figure out the KB/M controls for it.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
This game is pretty great guys.

Max is flying off into space in the top left of the last picture because the Magnum Opus hit a rock as I jumped out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I got caught out in the open by a car and only one shotgun shell, so I aimed at a tire and blew it out. The car flipped and sailed a couple of inches over Max's head and crashed down behind him - it's one of the few times I wished I'd been running some kind of recording software, or been fast enough to go into capture mode. It was so loving cool :allears:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

played a little of this after mgsV last night. having fun so far, cannot fathom why it got poo poo on by a few big sites but I feel the playerbase opinion will win out since it's so different from other open world checklist thingies. I like how much on the car you can upgrade and tinker with, though part of me is afraid I'll get to that "uber god" point like in Mordor where everything was way, way too easy.

Right now of course it's different and I love how the combat on foot is weighty, frantic, and heavy. Only takes a few hits to gently caress you up and the counters feel less forgiving than Batman does. The car driving is a blast, especially when you go into 1st person; driving through the first base and all the flaming traps and poo poo from that perspective was loving cool. I'm wondering if that dust storm that kicked up afterwards was random, too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So all the posts in here are making this game out to be a ton of open world mayhem fun, something no longer in vogue among a lot of reviewers for whatever reason. But nobody's said anything about more scripted, campaign missions. Are they just throwaway or do they not even exist?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I somersaulted my car through a sniper tower, that was gooooooood

Mordja posted:

So all the posts in here are making this game out to be a ton of open world mayhem fun, something no longer in vogue among a lot of reviewers for whatever reason. But nobody's said anything about more scripted, campaign missions. Are they just throwaway or do they not even exist?

It's like most other open world games, there's a cutscene and you go do the mission. They haven't been as heavily scripted as these things tend to be, they're mostly just variations on stuff you'd be doing anyway, like taking over camps and stuff.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MinibarMatchman posted:

though part of me is afraid I'll get to that "uber god" point like in Mordor where everything was way, way too easy.

If you're good at the combat, its pretty much way way to easy from the get go anyway, as "spam melee, counter every now and again" is supplemented by "shoot guy you can't dodge".

The car combat actually seems hard vs some enemies (i'm pretty pissed that there was no reward for (chumbucket base) killing everyone who was attacking chumbuckets base as that took me ages and I had to drive off and repair a few times.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Holy poo poo gently caress minefields. Got the dog and the buggy in the optional mission and it showed "hey clear out this nearby minefield!" First mine showed up a good 20-30 feet away from the buggy, easy to defuse. Second one showed up three feet away and I immediately ran it over, setting the buggy on fire and putting it on its side. I apparently can't flip it or repair it so I had to restart the mission. Second try the first mine was almost totally covered by sand and I stepped on it, instakilling me. edit: Mines have popin issues, incredible

Chobayt posted:

Is cdkeys.com one of the legit ones? 'Cause getting this for twenty bucks almost seems too good to be true.
Fairly certain that's a banned site on Steam's forums, so no. But "not legit" doesn't inherently mean "stolen keys"; selling keys outside their region is also considered not legit by publishers but the money is still going to the devs.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

dogstile posted:

If you're good at the combat, its pretty much way way to easy from the get go anyway, as "spam melee, counter every now and again" is supplemented by "shoot guy you can't dodge".

The thing I really like about the combat is that if you go for a few cheeky heavy attacks the counter button is not going to save you like it does in Batman because counter will not cancel your attack animations. You have to weave them in and out of regular attacks and it feels incredibly rewarding when you successfully take down a pile of enemies without a scratch. That's the beautiful thing about Mad Max, he's not some kind of superhero. Hell the game even starts with him getting his rear end kicked by a few warboys, it's perfectly fine to take a few licks in combat.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

dogstile posted:

I kind of like that you can downgrade Max to compensate for that a little bit. The on foot combat is simple, but it never stops feeling satisfying to hit guys. Anyone else sometimes leave the molotov posts up? I used one to my advantage to take out a group of charging warboys, as I rolled out of the way of falling instagibs. A lot of fun in this game is pitting systems against each other, which is where I imagine some of the Far Cry comparisons come from.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 2, 2015

Basil Brush
Jul 21, 2008

boom boom
Literally knew nothing about this game until 3 days ago. Bought it because someone posted the $20 deal.

5/5

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I only got to play for an hour or two last night, but the game is real fun so far. Looks gorgeous on PC and is optimized really well too, my video card is 3+ years old and I can run everything on max (:haw:) settings.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Who needs gyrocopters?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Ok, so this game is loving great. I purchased MGSV yesterday and gamefly'd this. While MGSV is definitely badass, I've been enjoying this one more right out of the gate (not saying it's better than Phantom Pain, it's just more accessible to me right now). I'm not one to usually discuss reviews, but in this case I gotta bring it up.

Many Arkham Knight reviews complained about the game and then gave it crazy high scores, many of the reviews I read on this yesterday praised it for how fun it can be and then gave it mediocre (some, like Gamespot, terrible) scores. It's just a head scratcher. Everything around these two games feels inversely fishy in regards to how they were treated by the gaming press.

While I have never worked in said games press, I have been involved with another consumer products site from a different industry for several years now and here's what I always see happen - they go easy on the big money advertiser's products and fluff those reviews, and then go extra hard on product from the non-advertisers to show how "unbiased" and tough they are. It's bullshit. I'm guessing this is one of "those products" to show how tough they are on things. I dunno, it's the only thing I can think of.

Anyways, to use Arkham Knight as an example for those on the fence about this game, while I enjoyed some the Batman fight/detective stuff I generally found most of it tedious, unfocused poo poo and finally traded it in after letting it sit for a month. I find (thus far) this game scratches that itch much better. It's loving crazy. Others have said it, but it's like Shadows of Arkham Twisted Metal. Good poo poo.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Many Arkham Knight reviews complained about the game and then gave it crazy high scores, many of the reviews I read on this yesterday praised it for how fun it can be and then gave it mediocre (some, like Gamespot, terrible) scores. It's just a head scratcher. Everything around these two games feels inversely fishy in regards to how they were treated by the gaming press.

While I have never worked in said games press, I have been involved with another consumer products site from a different industry for several years now and here's what I always see happen - they go easy on the big money advertiser's products and fluff those reviews, and then go extra hard on product from the non-advertisers to show how "unbiased" and tough they are. It's bullshit. I'm guessing this is one of "those products" to show how tough they are on things. I dunno, it's the only thing I can think of.

Both games are published by Warner.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Maybe the gaming press are just salty about being embargoed.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Songbearer posted:

Who needs gyrocopters?

That's going to leave a mark...

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Daztek posted:

The screenshot feature is just the best thing ever.

This shot is amazing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So if I don't like batman style combat will I enjoy this game?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Maybe the gaming press are just salty about being embargoed.

Maybe if you're a reviewer and have to put ever more time into open world checklist games (because that's what everyone does these days) you're just getting tired.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So if I don't like batman style combat will I enjoy this game?

Probably not. The melee is very Batman. There's a lot more to the game, but you'll definitely be swinging flurries of punches at dudes and hitting a button to counter, occasionally dodging guys with nastier weapons.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

GhostDog posted:

Both games are published by Warner.

Well gently caress then I dunno

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Well gently caress then I dunno

Well that one dude whose uncle works for Nintendo said WB didn't put any money behind this one.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Game is great.

I have to assume that game "journalists" are just bitter and cynical these days and no longer understand fun. gently caress'em.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think people are just tired of batman combat and ubisoft style open world games.

E: alright this thread is like youtube comments or reddit now lmao

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I think people are just tired of batman combat and ubisoft style open world games.

That doesn't hold water.

That's like reviewing a racing game poorly because you're tired of racing games. It makes no sense. It's a type of game; if you dislike it because you categorically dislike that sort of game, then it's not for you, obviously. You have to rate the game on its own merits.

I very much enjoy open-world games since I feel they're the pinnacle of what a game should be, more-so than a linear on-rails type of game that might as well be an interactive movie.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Who are these people and where can I get their addresses so I can visit them and explain my passions

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Pretty much anything that happens in 20 mins of playing this game could be the plot of a Mad Max film.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

That doesn't hold water.

That's like reviewing a racing game poorly because you're tired of racing games. It makes no sense. It's a type of game; if you dislike it because you categorically dislike that sort of game, then it's not for you, obviously. You have to rate the game on its own merits.

I very much enjoy open-world games since I feel they're the pinnacle of what a game should be, more-so than a linear on-rails type of game that might as well be an interactive movie.

I for one am actually tired of these games which is why I haven't bought a single Ubisoft game since far cry 3 and assassin's creed since 2. It can get very repetitive and with a lot games doing the same it just doesn't interest me at all really unless theres something more to the game than just taking down towers and poo poo.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I for one am actually tired of these games which is why I haven't bought a single Ubisoft game since far cry 3 and assassin's creed since 2. It can get very repetitive and with a lot games doing the same it just doesn't interest me at all really unless theres something more to the game than just taking down towers and poo poo.

Get Metal Gear Solid V or something then. Pretty simple choice really.

I did haha I played the gently caress out of it yesterday. I'm just trying to understand where all the rage and animosity is coming from for this game.

E: I'm sure this is a fun game, but I think we all have to step back a little and just try to understand why it didn't score so well instead of flaming everything.

No one is flaming anything? No one is saying this game is perfect. We're just saying that it's a lot more fun than simply checklisting objectives, which is more or less what the reviewers say. Pretty much everything about the game is polished, and it does its imitations well.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 2, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Joe Gillian posted:

Get Metal Gear Solid V or something then. Pretty simple choice really.

I did haha I played the gently caress out of it yesterday. I'm just trying to understand where all the rage and animosity is coming from for this game.

E: I'm sure this is a fun game, but I think we all have to step back a little and just try to understand why it didn't score so well instead of flaming everything.

postcapt
Feb 27, 2011
The minimum requirements seem inaccurate for this game. For fun I installed it last night on a spare computer with a Q6600 CPU, Radeon HD 5830, and 8 GB of RAM. I turned all the graphic settings down to Normal or Off. At 1600x1200 I was getting 45-60 FPS in the beginning tutorial area. I imagine it'll probably get lower once I get to the game proper. But I'm impressed how I was able to get it to run and play decently on such an old machine.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A good idea is to not read most threads in this forum for until at least about a week after a game's release since its practically impossible to tell if a game is actually good or if people are still in the justifying their 50 dollar preorder and five months of hype phase.

Just appreciate the irony of people complaining about reviewers not losing their mind about a game when in any other situation they'd probably be moaning about a big studio backed licensed game being let off the hook.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm still enjoying that style of gameplay, but that's because the only Ubisoft open world games I've played before this are AssCreed Black Flag and Far Cry 3 :v:

Maybe i'm just not burned out on this style like a lot of gamers, but i've never touched the Batman games, never played any Assassin's Creed except for 4, and am thoroughly enjoying the way Mad Max plays. It helps that it's basically Black Flag but with cars instead of ships, since that's all I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMLV523mVz8

• Locked thread