Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sugar free jazz posted:

What's wrong with metaphysics

Too many people say "metaphysics" when they mean "supernatural" because they think using a sciencey-sounding word will make whatever bullshit they're spewing sound more credible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quift
May 11, 2012

vessbot posted:

Why would you assume that? "God" has traditionally meant (and means today, in mainstream interpretations) a being that exists independently of humans; it created them (along with everything else, in some capacity) and is certainly not supposed to be a figment of our imagination.

It is very relevant. You tried to dismiss the creation myth as something not seriously held by the religious side, in order to remove their liability of defending the indefensible, and thereby increasing their credibility. Oh silly strawman-slaying internet atheists, not even kids actually believe this dumb thing, what do you think you're accomplishing by discrediting it? :rolleyes:

But they do hold it, children and adults alike.

It has to do with the actual name of God. Which means I am. Which is the basic level of consciousness.

So the opening of the evangelium according to John opens with this definition. In my interpretation at least.

And I need not bother with the naive faith of others. I merely need to prove my own trough logic. This being a thread about whether or not God can exist, not one about the usefulness of neither faith nor stupid people.

And according to the op, I'm an atheist. Are you Christian?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you are trying to create a coherent definition of God, it is really better to stick with the synoptic gospels. Those jive better with Judaism, Islam and deism, which are normally the other abrahamic faiths we're talking about when we say "God" in English. Though new age movements do complicate this somewhat.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Let's have this thread again, but without any attempts to redefine words on the fly or any other bullshit language games.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sugar free jazz posted:

What's wrong with metaphysics

If you are applying metaphysics to modern science, plenty.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

"Metaphysical" tends to be a word that sets off alarms that the person speaking doesn't know what they're talking about

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dzhay posted:

Let's have this thread again, but without any attempts to redefine words on the fly or any other bullshit language games.

Like 99.999% of a discussion about the existence of gods is "bullshit language games". An undefined term is a meaningless placeholder. Can't have much of a discussion about that.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The slave faiths of Abraham have no redeeming qualities.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

Like 99.999% of a discussion about the existence of gods philosophy as a whole is "bullshit language games". An undefined term is a meaningless placeholder. Can't have much of a discussion about that.

FTFY

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Quit this bitching about the existence of God and just accept Tengriism into your heart.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Did. Not impressed.

Really, not with any of it? Even John the Baptist?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Really, not with any of it? Even John the Baptist?

"I dunked a guy and practiced forgiveness."

Its all resume padding.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Amergin posted:

So who are the other agnostic goons and when should we gently caress?

Uhhhhh poo poo....

Maybe the one thing I know is I don't want to be hosed by Amergin....

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

"I dunked a guy and practiced forgiveness."

Its all resume padding.

Well that and the whole "if you have two coats and another person has none, give them one you selfish fucks"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

If you are applying metaphysics to modern science, plenty.

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

Like 99.999% of a discussion about the existence of gods is "bullshit language games". An undefined term is a meaningless placeholder. Can't have much of a discussion about that.

But Capital-G God isn't "undefined"; in common parlance it refers to a (usually extra-dimensional) dude who created the universe, sends prophets around and maintains a couple of afterlives (and doesn't exist).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BlueBlazer posted:

Uhhhhh poo poo....

Maybe the one thing I know is I don't want to be hosed by Amergin....

How can you resist that face?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dzhay posted:

But Capital-G God isn't "undefined"; in common parlance it refers to a (usually extra-dimensional) dude who created the universe, sends prophets around and maintains a couple of afterlives (and doesn't exist).
Do you sincerely think "extra-dimensional" is well defined in the context of a "dude"?
edit:
This also seems to imply there is no wrong religion (which refers to a God), or that the rightness of a religion is based on the prophets you respect and not the entity you worship.

twodot fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 2, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

Do you sincerely think "extra-dimensional" is well defined in the context of a "dude"?

Just because something isn't undefined doesn't mean it can't still be poorly defined.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Just because something isn't undefined doesn't mean it can't still be poorly defined.
A definition which can't be understood is no different than the absence of a definition. If you would rather me claim "extra-dimensional" is undefined, and definitions which contain undefined words are invalid and therefore the term remains undefined I can do that, but it seems overly precise. My best understanding of "extra-dimensional" is "doesn't exist", which I assume people who are pro-definitions of God would be opposed to.
edit:
Alternatively, I guess I could say "Your definition tautologically states God doesn't exist, so this seems like a bad definition for the purpose of discussing whether or not God does exist".

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

twodot posted:

A definition which can't be understood is no different than the absence of a definition. If you would rather me claim "extra-dimensional" is undefined, and definitions which contain undefined words are invalid and therefore the term remains undefined I can do that, but it seems overly precise. My best understanding of "extra-dimensional" is "doesn't exist", which I assume people who are pro-definitions of God would be opposed to.
edit:
Alternatively, I guess I could say "Your definition tautologically states God doesn't exist, so this seems like a bad definition for the purpose of discussing whether or not God does exist".

A definition and no definition are pretty clearly different, even if the definition is nonsense.

Also "extra-dimensional" and "doesn't exist" are pretty clearly different, that you can't interact with something doesn't mean it's nonexistent.

Is tautology one of those words, like Heidegger, Sartre, or Hegelian, where if you see it outside of an actual philosophical context you can immediately go "aw gently caress this is gonna be bad" I think it is

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

sugar free jazz posted:

A definition and no definition are pretty clearly different, even if the definition is nonsense.
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but to be clear my understanding of this is that if I define God as "lsjd kj lsdj ljflskjf lkjf" then you would claim that God is not undefined, is that correct? (if you answer yes, your definition of "undefined" is stupid)

quote:

Also "extra-dimensional" and "doesn't exist" are pretty clearly different, that you can't interact with something doesn't mean it's nonexistent.
When I say "my best understanding" I'm trying to imply my understanding is bad, if you have a better coherent definition of "extra-dimensional" that doesn't come from a sci-fi novel or UFO cult feel free to share it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

twodot posted:

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but to be clear my understanding of this is that if I define God as "lsjd kj lsdj ljflskjf lkjf" then you would claim that God is not undefined, is that correct? (if you answer yes, your definition of "undefined" is stupid)

When I say "my best understanding" I'm trying to imply my understanding is bad, if you have a better coherent definition of "extra-dimensional" that doesn't come from a sci-fi novel or UFO cult feel free to share it.

Lol there's a big different between something not existing and something being bad. "lsjd kj lsdj ljflskjf lkjf" is a real bad definition of God, but if someone wants to define God that way I'm not gonna stop them. Are you some kind of posting portal back 60 years ago to the age of positivists or something

Uhh if you're trying to do philosophy while cutting out stuff that appears in sci-fi novels you're doing philosophy wrong man. Anyways, if something exists extra dimensionally it obviously exists in some sense I don't really need to say anything more than that to make my point I think ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

If you could define "lsjd", "kj", "lsdj", "ljklskjf", and "lkjf" then no, it wouldn't be undefined.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

If you could define "lsjd", "kj", "lsdj", "ljklskjf", and "lkjf" then no, it wouldn't be undefined.
I'm good with that, but our definition of "extra-dimensional" appears to be restricted to:

quote:

if something exists extra dimensionally it obviously exists in some sense I don't really need to say anything more than that
So my complaint that God is still undefined seems valid, unless you're willing to support "existing whatsoever" as a valid definition of "extra-dimensional".

sugar free jazz posted:

Lol there's a big different between something not existing and something being bad. "lsjd kj lsdj ljflskjf lkjf" is a real bad definition of God
You are an idiot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

I'm good with that, but our definition of "extra-dimensional" appears to be restricted to:

So my complaint that God is still undefined seems valid, unless you're willing to support "existing whatsoever" as a valid definition of "extra-dimensional".

It depends on what you mean by "existing whatsoever".

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

twodot posted:

You are an idiot.

See, this post right here ^^^ is nonsense, but it still exists and is distinct and different from having never been posted

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

It depends on what you mean by "existing whatsoever".
I agree, which is why I'm waiting for a (edit: non-idiot) definition of "extra-dimensional" before accepting that God has been defined. I don't understand your contention at this point.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 2, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

I agree, which is why I'm waiting for a (edit: non-idiot) definition of "extra-dimensional" before accepting that God has been defined. I don't understand your contention at this point.

That being given a definition you don't fully understand is not the same as being given no definition at all.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

That being given a definition you don't fully understand is not the same as being given no definition at all.
You seem to have switched goal posts. I certainly agree someone's attempted to offer a definition, I contend that the string of words offered is no definition at all, on the basis that there's no definition for "extra-dimensional" that has any applicability outside of a sci-fi novel. I would assume you would agree on based on this post:

Who What Now posted:

Absent a definition for "extra-dimensional", God remains undefined. I see that as unrelated as to whether people are attempting to offer definitions, which isn't something I've intended to talk about. I realize in one of my earlier posts I did for a little bit, but in that post, I also said this which I want to repeat:

quote:

If you would rather me claim "extra-dimensional" is undefined, and definitions which contain undefined words are invalid and therefore the term remains undefined I can do that, but it seems overly precise.
edit:
It's a little weird to me that when I attack a definition on it using basically a non-word, the people who reply don't have explanations for what the non-word means.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 2, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

You seem to have switched goal posts. I certainly agree someone's attempted to offer a definition, I contend that the string of words offered is no definition at all, on the basis that there's no definition for "extra-dimensional" that has any applicability outside of a sci-fi novel. I would assume you would agree on based on this post:

Absent a definition for "extra-dimensional", God remains undefined. I see that as unrelated as to whether people are attempting to offer definitions, which isn't something I've intended to talk about. I realize in one of my earlier posts I did for a little bit, but in that post, I also said this which I want to repeat:

Then let me clarify my previous post. A definition's validity, to me, is determine by whether or not it has meaning intended in its usage, regardless of whether or not that meaning is understood. So if you define God as "ljklskjf lkjf jkl" or whatever, and you actually meant something by using that then you have given me a valid definition whether or not you actually further explain to me what the definition means, again, so long as there is meaning behind it. If there is no meaning behind it then obviously it's meaningless and not a valid definition. I feel reasonable confident that when Dzhay described God as "extra-dimensional" that he does have some intended meaning behind the usage of that word, and so it is a valid definition whether or not you or I understand or accept it as one.

Being giving a definition you don't understand is fundamentally different than not being given one at all, because at the very least a definition you don't understand let's you further pinpoint what your contention is, in this case the words "extra-dimensional". You're one step closer to understanding what the meaning is than had you been given no answer at all.

quote:

edit:
It's a little weird to me that when I attack a definition on it using basically a non-word, the people who reply don't have explanations for what the non-word means.

I have no need to defend Dzhay's position to point out that your criticism is flawed. If someone tried to argue that the Holocaust was bad because Hitler loved to suck cocks and shove wine bottles up his rear end I don't need to defend Nazi Germany to point out that their attack isn't valid.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

I feel reasonable confident that when Dzhay described God as "extra-dimensional" that he does have some intended meaning behind the usage of that word, and so it is a valid definition whether or not you or I understand or accept it as one.
I don't see how you can reasonably believe this without also possessing some sort of speculation of the meaning intended by "extra-dimensional". I've offered a speculation, but it was correctly pointed out my speculation didn't make any sense (which is in line with my belief that the words offered were word salad without a meaning). Absent even a single proposed non-idiot definition of "extra-dimensional" doesn't parsimony demand we treat the definition as not having meaning behind it?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

twodot posted:

I don't see how you can reasonably believe this without also possessing some sort of speculation of the meaning intended by "extra-dimensional". I've offered a speculation, but it was correctly pointed out my speculation didn't make any sense (which is in line with my belief that the words offered were word salad without a meaning). Absent even a single proposed non-idiot definition of "extra-dimensional" doesn't parsimony demand we treat the definition as not having meaning behind it?

It's even worse than any of this, people will define God as "cats" and prove that he exists by pointing out a cat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

That's an argument from ignorance, "because I can't think of a valid definition there isn't one".

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

That's an argument from ignorance, "because I can't think of a valid definition there isn't one".
I've also read dictionaries and other people making similar word salad claims, so I'm also making an argument from anecdotes, but regardless, your argument is based on what? Blind faith? Authority? Why do you believe it has a valid definition, when you are unable to supply one?
edit:
We have two competing affirmative ideas, why is yours preferred? I've given why we should prefer mine.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

I've also read dictionaries and other people making similar word salad claims, so I'm also making an argument from anecdotes, but regardless, your argument is based on what? Blind faith? Authority? Why do you believe it has a valid definition, when you are unable to supply one?
edit:
We have two competing affirmative ideas, why is yours preferred? I've given why we should prefer mine.

So your default position is that anything anyone says to you is completely meaningless if you can't understand what they said? So literally all foreign languages you can't speak are nothing more than random gibberish? Because that's your argument right now.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

So your default position is that anything anyone says to you is completely meaningless if you can't understand what they said? So literally all foreign languages you can't speak are nothing more than random gibberish? Because that's your argument right now.
I never said that, I specifically anticipated you going off the rails like this:

twodot posted:

I've also read dictionaries and other people making similar word salad claims
I'm familiar with "extra-dimensional" as a term, it does not make any sense in this context. If I hear a foreign language, I think "Hmm, I don't recognize those sounds, I won't make judgments about them.", if I hear someone say God is defined as an extra-dimensional being, I tell them their definition is garbage. Now are you going to support your asserted belief that there is any meaning or are you going to continue to straw man me?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
God is Dog backwards. :tinfoil:

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Our Lady of Fatima is the best evidence I have seen for religious claims. A lot of people saw it, and it would take some serious evidence to label them all as not being credible witnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

furiouskoala posted:

Our Lady of Fatima is the best evidence I have seen for religious claims. A lot of people saw it, and it would take some serious evidence to label them all as not being credible witnesses.

Three kids got carried away with a ghost story and everyone else followed suit.

• Locked thread