Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does scotch get over-aged as well, or is it something about the new charred oak bourbon has to use?

Scotch can definitely get over-aged, yea. Generally what happens is that the character of the spirit gets lost and the wood character takes over, making it taste woody, bitter, dusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So buying that Balvenie 50 is even stupider than it seems?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does scotch get over-aged as well, or is it something about the new charred oak bourbon has to use?

It's a combination of climate and fresh wood mostly. Very few single malts are aged in virgin oak because the resulting whisky would be wildly different than what people expect. A recent fad was to use virgin oak to finish scotches that were otherwise aged in refills, a much subtler method of adding vanillins and tannins to scotch whisky.

Also malt whisky is milder than bourbon/rye by nature and new wood quickly overpowers the subtler flavors of the distillate.

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

That Works posted:

I don't know why you'd say they don't work as well unless you've had a systematic study of ones aged normally vs artificially from the same batch stock of spirits. There hasn't been much of this out there. I've read on this before and most people tend to just think the older method works better without any empirical evidence.

It's banned for certain varieties because that's part of the standard that defines what the variety is. I would be willing to bet you could end up producing a 'Scotch-style whisky' that could rival the original aging process given the right conditions. It's an active field of study right now for a lot of people and some of the stuff they are doing is pretty interesting. All of it is just maximizing the exposure to the wood either by surface area (addition of chips / staves) or by mechanical intervention (ultrasonic, vacuum / temp cycling).

Along the lines of accelerated aging of spirits, I found this article interesting: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/lost-spirits/

Basically using clever chemical engineering and modern analytical methods like mass spectroscopy, this guy can produce what tastes like a 20 yr aged rum, which has impressed even some critics. There's nothing wrong with naturally aged spirits, and many purists may dismiss modern processes out of hand, but this new area of research is bound to get more traction as demand for quality booze increases. I say bring it on!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Jim Rutledge (Four Roses) has decided to retire. GLHF, Jim!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So buying that Balvenie 50 is even stupider than it seems?

Well, some barrels do age really well.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yep, it's not like they just leave the barrels to age for a set amount of time. A master blender/distiller or an apprentice will sample every barrel with a copper dog at regular intervals. At their discretion they'll pull a barrel for vatting/bottling or maybe if it's already gone slightly off, finish it in a wine cask.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I grew my 12 year Irish Whiskey collection thanks to my cousin. Brought me back a Powers 12 year while he was in Ireland last week. I haven't tried it yet though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I've found older Redbreast to be really underwhelming. Is that just me?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got rekt on a fifth of Jim beam Monday night and made a whole bunch if posts that I don't remeber making lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ralith posted:

I've found older Redbreast to be really underwhelming. Is that just me?

You mean the 15?

If so yeah, we bought that for a friend as a gift and tried it along with the 12 and no way is it worth the price increase at all. There were some differences in flavor but it's not like it was better than the 12, just a little different. Solid bottle but for the price totally worthless if the 12 is there for the taking.

wandler20 posted:

I grew my 12 year Irish Whiskey collection thanks to my cousin. Brought me back a Powers 12 year while he was in Ireland last week. I haven't tried it yet though.

How do you like the Jameson 12? Not a fan of their standard bottle but never tried the 12.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
I'm a little sad the price of Redbreast has skyrocketed in the past few years. I remember when it was around $40-45, and I thought it was a good deal at that price point. I'm seeing it now for $60-70, and there's just a lot more interesting stuff at that level.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

That Works posted:

You mean the 15?

If so yeah, we bought that for a friend as a gift and tried it along with the 12 and no way is it worth the price increase at all. There were some differences in flavor but it's not like it was better than the 12, just a little different. Solid bottle but for the price totally worthless if the 12 is there for the taking.
The 15, the 21, even the 12's underwhelming for the price, imo. Weirds me out because I really like Jameson, and was expecting it to easily be an improvement on that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the best Redbreast is the 12 cask strength

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think the Redbreast 15 is underrated. It's really a lovely spirit.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

NightConqueror posted:

I'm a little sad the price of Redbreast has skyrocketed in the past few years.

Oh, the good ole days :allears:

Everything has skyrocketed, or become unavailable during these last couple of years. I wish i had the foresight to purchase my favorites in massive quantities before everyone came in and cleared out the supply :argh:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

That Works posted:

How do you like the Jameson 12? Not a fan of their standard bottle but never tried the 12.

I like the 12 but it's really not a huge improvement over the standard Jameson, and that's probably my favorite regular whiskey.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wandler20 posted:

I like the 12 but it's really not a huge improvement over the standard Jameson, and that's probably my favorite regular whiskey.

Ahh good to know then. There's some particular taste in Jameson that I don't like. I'll drink Tullamore Dew or Red Breast like it's going out of style though. Always wondered what it was in Jameson that made that taste. Just can't get past it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

That Works posted:

Ahh good to know then. There's some particular taste in Jameson that I don't like. I'll drink Tullamore Dew or Red Breast like it's going out of style though. Always wondered what it was in Jameson that made that taste. Just can't get past it.

I'd say the Jameson 12 year is a little closer to Red Breast though compared to regular. Might be worth sampling if you have the chance.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

That Works posted:

I had the same experience with Jameson but was determined to get past it. After a couple bottles something clicked and I started enjoying it. That has happened with other whiskies too where I didn't like them at first. Of course sometimes I never like them (Dickel) regardless of how hard I try.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I picked up a bottle of Jameson Crested Ten which is like regular Jameson but a little older and with about 60% pot still in there. I have to finish a few other bottles before I allow myself to try it but I'm expecting it to be good. I'm mainly interested to see if it's better than Writer's tears which is 100% pot still but slightly younger iirc.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Monoclinic posted:

Along the lines of accelerated aging of spirits, I found this article interesting: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/lost-spirits/

Basically using clever chemical engineering and modern analytical methods like mass spectroscopy, this guy can produce what tastes like a 20 yr aged rum, which has impressed even some critics. There's nothing wrong with naturally aged spirits, and many purists may dismiss modern processes out of hand, but this new area of research is bound to get more traction as demand for quality booze increases. I say bring it on!

There is one distillery going in th opposite direction. When everyone (Maker's Mark, etc.) are using pressure cookers and all kinds of poo poo to get their spirits on the market faster, Claremont Distilled Spirits just patented (applied for) a granite aging cask designed to SLOW the process, and develop a unique flavor profile that way.

Should be interesting.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Broccoli Cat posted:

There is one distillery going in th opposite direction. When everyone (Maker's Mark, etc.) are using pressure cookers and all kinds of poo poo to get their spirits on the market faster, Claremont Distilled Spirits just patented (applied for) a granite aging cask designed to SLOW the process, and develop a unique flavor profile that way.

Should be interesting.

Whiskey stones can gently caress up the taste in a matter of seconds. I'm scared what Granite aging will do.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Whiskey stones can gently caress up the taste in a matter of seconds. I'm scared what Granite aging will do.

I'm not sure if minerality is really what people are looking for in whiskey.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

kirtar posted:

I'm not sure if minerality is really what people are looking for in whiskey.

Umm... mineral content is rather important during the fermentation process.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

2DCAT posted:

Umm... mineral content is rather important during the fermentation process.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that the fermentation process means that incubating your product in rocks is a good idea.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If they're putting that much time and money into the experiment, they must have a reason. They aren't just taking their results for granite.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If they're putting that much time and money into the experiment, they must have a reason. They aren't just taking their results for granite.

It's a patent, people file patents for random poo poo that doesn't work or will never work or just because they thought it was a cool idea while on acid.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Regular, cheapo, Evan Williams is probably the first hard liquor I've liked. A week ago I tried the Single Barrel and it was terrible. Am I a whiskey scrub or is the Single Barrel just poo poo?

Also, how's Knob Creek's Rye?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Neo_Crimson posted:

Regular, cheapo, Evan Williams is probably the first hard liquor I've liked. A week ago I tried the Single Barrel and it was terrible. Am I a whiskey scrub or is the Single Barrel just poo poo?

The single barrel is actually really good for the price. It might be that you like sweeter bourbons. Do you like Makers?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Lowness 72 posted:

The single barrel is actually really good for the price. It might be that you like sweeter bourbons. Do you like Makers?

Agreed; it's good value for money.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Here's the thing about single barrel releases: they are all different. Sometimes you don't like the barrel in question. Most whiskey is blended to make a consistent, generally delicious product. A single barrel offering is a couple people saying, "This particular flavor is excellent." If that flavor isn't your thing you won't dig it. It's worth trying a different single barrel offering later to see if it's your jam.

Like Elmer T. Lee. That is some loving creme brulee-tasting whiskey. It's amazing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Neo_Crimson posted:

No, EWSB is just poo poo, or at least the bottle I tasted was poo poo. 1783 though is legit one of my favorites and probably the best bargain in bourbon. It doesn't have much complexity or depth but it's a good basic sipper. It's also a fantastic cooking bourbon.

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013
Four Roses Small Batch is my favorite bourbon for its cost. It's easier to drink for those who are new to bourbon, and it won't break the bank. Last time I purchased a bottle it was about $30.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This terrible pun deserved more love

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

This terrible pun deserved more love

OK, fine. It rocked. Happy now?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jo3sh posted:

OK, fine. It rocked. Happy now?

Somehow I feel like this praise is disinigneous.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Somehow I feel like this praise is disinigneous.

No, he gave it a rock solid endorsement.

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

~8 ryes later and it's still my favorite.

Started using it for Manhattens and it has been a hit amongst friends too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
Is all of Glenlivet pretty much void of smoke?

I was a gifted a bottle of their Archive 21 and it doesn't have the slightest bit of smoke. Something I've never experienced before with my (limited) scotch drinking.