Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Squashy Nipples posted:

I must have bad taste in liquor, because I don't like gin at all.

When I was a teenager my buddies and I mixed gin and kool aid powder together (thinking the powder would just dissolve into the gin and we wouldn't need a mixer or anything) and got sick drunk off the poo poo and I still can't even smell gin without getting nauseous. That was 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've fallen hard into tequila lately. It's so good.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FishBulb posted:

When I was a teenager my buddies and I mixed gin and kool aid powder together (thinking the powder would just dissolve into the gin and we wouldn't need a mixer or anything) and got sick drunk off the poo poo and I still can't even smell gin without getting nauseous. That was 20 years ago.

Hah! I had a very similar experience in high school, but it was with straight Tanqueray. I can force down other gins if I really need to, but that distinct smell of Tanqueray makes me retch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gin and Tonic is really really good if you dump it down the sink and then add whisky and ice to the glass.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I still prefer Gordon's to all of these others.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nolet's is my go to. Or if its on hand St Augustine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

Gin and Tonic is really really good if you dump it down the sink and then add whisky and ice to the glass.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Rurutia posted:

Fevertree is by far my favorite tonic.

Bombay Sapphire has been my favorite cheap gin so far too, but I might have bad taste in liquor.

Cheap?

Where I am, greenalls is $35, gordons $37, beefeater $40, bombay sapphire ~$48, tanqueray ~$50.
At 50 for bombay sapphire I'd rather buy a whisky/ey for $35 if I wanted cheap.
Is it that much cheaper than tanqueray over there?

I didn't really get into gin until I was 40. and even then it's just a summer drink when I don't feel like beer or wine.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 2, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just booked for this event. As soon as I saw it I thought "Hell yeah, I am going to that whether my wife wants to come or not - and if she doesn't, I am sure I can get a chum to join". It looks loving great: cheese + history!

quote:

join us on September 17 for an evening of epicurean delight as we sample a selection of British cheeses through the ages. Tom Badcock will join us from fine food supplier Cheese Cellar to guide us on an epic culinary journey through the annals of British history. We will spend two hours smelling and tasting the result of our dairy’s illustrious development, learning when, where, and why British cheeses developed into the delicious and unique variety we enjoy today.

Tom will tell us how our failure to follow the instructions given by our European neighbours over the centuries has resulted in a plethora of deliciously messed up English interpretations on classic dairy techniques.

From the piquant yet humble early Celtic offerings and strong and crumbly Roman fare that first began to shape Britain’s curd, our dairy became much stickier and smellier (and arguably even more mouth watering) once the Vikings and Normans made their mark: As the artisans and technology became increasingly sophisticated, so too did the diversity of our dairy and the palettes of those enjoying it.

Tom, a cheese connoisseur who has worked with Cheese Cellar for over 25 years, promises a tale of pride, Saxon impatience, and fungus!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Fo3 posted:

Cheap?

Where I am, greenalls is $35, gordons $37, beefeater $40, bombay sapphire ~$48, tanqueray ~$50.
At 50 for bombay sapphire I'd rather buy a whisky/ey for $35 if I wanted cheap.
Is it that much cheaper than tanqueray over there?

I didn't really get into gin until I was 40. and even then it's just a summer drink when I don't feel like beer or wine.

lol, your alcohol prices are insane. I can buy a handle of Wild Turkey 101 for like, $32

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

That Works posted:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Adding ice to whisk(e)y? What a horrible thing to do.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

bartolimu posted:

Adding ice to whisk(e)y? What a horrible thing to do.

It's part of a proper Old Fashioned. :colbert:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

contrapants posted:

It's part of a proper Old Fashioned. :colbert:

Agreed,, but he didn't mention also adding sugar and bitters, so I'm going to assume he's just ruining his whiskey.

Unless it's cheap whiskey, in which case by all means add some ice to help numb the palate and get it down quicker.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

therattle posted:

I just booked for this event. As soon as I saw it I thought "Hell yeah, I am going to that whether my wife wants to come or not - and if she doesn't, I am sure I can get a chum to join". It looks loving great: cheese + history!

This sounds rad as hell. Take pictures and notes!

In other news, sister is coming to town. Her fiancé hates pork. Sister has demanded a ham. But not just any ham, she wants MY Ham, from my pig in the freezer.

Ham is curing now. This will be awesome.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

I am *SO* jealous, that sounds like a perfect evening.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

lol, your alcohol prices are insane. I can buy a handle of Wild Turkey 101 for like, $32

Yeah, 101 is $70+ here. 86 proof is $50 for fucks sake, I only buy 86 proof when it's on sale for $40. But my main point was the relative prices between bombay and tanq, it's only a couple of dollars, so bombay is not a "cheap" gin.
E: I think hendricks is $60-65, so I've never tried it.
Half decent scotch and rum is much cheaper than bourbon or gin here as a general rule. More brands/options, so better chance that one of them is on sale anyway...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 2, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I still prefer Gordon's to all of these others.

So do I, it tastes fine and is like a quarter of the price.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, 101 is $70+ here. 86 proof is $50 for fucks sake, I only buy 86 proof when it's on sale for $40. But my main point was the relative prices between bombay and tanq, it's only a couple of dollars, so bombay is not a "cheap" gin.
E: I think hendricks is $60-65, so I've never tried it.
Half decent scotch and rum is much cheaper than bourbon or gin here as a general rule. More brands/options, so better chance that one of them is on sale anyway...

I only meant it as cheap as it's on the lower end of the price scale for gins here. It's the best one I'm comfortable with buying regularly? :shrug:

My local ABC don't carry Tanqueray so I haven't tried it yet.

Fo3 posted:

My friends and I are mid to late 20's and gin&tonics are pretty popular amongst our social groups. No one really drinks whiskey or scotch, although I do have a handle I'm working my way through...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

I am *SO* jealous, that sounds like a perfect evening.

I'm really excited. Can't wait!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I thought only old women drank G&T.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

sharktamer posted:

I thought only old women drank G&T.

My grandmother is strictly a Canadian Club on the rocks kind of lady.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Apparently the Spanish are obsessed with G&T's.

Yet another reason to put Spain on my itinerary.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Swagger Dagger posted:

So do I, it tastes fine and is like a quarter of the price.

Supermarket brands rate well here..

quote:

Gin taste test results: the top 10
Score in brackets, price per 70cl bottle

1. Morrisons London Dry Gin (80%) £10.49
2. Lidl Castelgy London Dry Gin (78%) £9.99
3. Waitrose London Dry Gin (78%) £12
4. Greenall’s London Dry Gin (77%) £15
5. Beefeater Dry Gin (76%) £16
6. Asda London Dry Gin (75%) £11
7. Sainsbury’s London Dry Gin (74%) £11.50
8. Aldi Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin (74%) £9.99
9. Gordon’s Special Dry London Gin (74%) £16
10. The Cooperative London Dry Gin (73%) £11.99
source

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Also Tanqueray or GTFO.

With lemon.

Also gently caress you. All. :colbert:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like mine beefeater and lime, and that's fine.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I like my G&T with an olive instead of lime or lemon, but either citrus will do in a pinch. Whistling Andy first choice, Hendricks second.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm surprised no one's brought up the summertime excellence that is a Tom Collins yet. That was really my gin gateway drink.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lately I'm all about Bombay (not Sapphire) and soda, with a lime. Mmm.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

My gin of choice, Ransom's Old Tom Gin. Aged in barrels, so delicious. I like making a bastardized old fashioned with it, too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm surprised no one's brought up the summertime excellence that is a Tom Collins yet. That was really my gin gateway drink.

Oh Tom Collins all the way. And nothing like a ginnonaide on a hot day if you do it with well gin and non-seltzer.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

If you're anywhere near DC you owe it to yourself to get ahold of some Green Hat Gin.

We had a bottle of that kicking around. It was good, but not enough better then London Dry to be worth the price.

I gave up on G&Ts due to insane non-crap tonic water prices. Now I just mix gin, half as much lime juice, and top with club soda. Or just pink gin on the rocks. I would love it if I could find good tonic in small 3-4oz cans like the lovely stuff comes in.

Edit: my first drunk was cheap plastic bottle gin and loving Scope. We were very dumb kids.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bunnielab posted:

We had a bottle of that kicking around. It was good, but not enough better then London Dry to be worth the price.

I gave up on G&Ts due to insane non-crap tonic water prices. Now I just mix gin, half as much lime juice, and top with club soda. Or just pink gin on the rocks. I would love it if I could find good tonic in small 3-4oz cans like the lovely stuff comes in.

Edit: my first drunk was cheap plastic bottle gin and loving Scope. We were very dumb kids.

Track down small hands food tonic syrup.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

bunnielab posted:

Could try this I guess

Homemade tonic water

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So my friend got us round trip tickets to Minneapolis, MN for $30 including taxes. We're going for a day trip on the 12th. We're both vegan, so we're likely going to avoid anything meaty or dairy. However! She and I are both wanting to hit up Gay 90's, and possibly mooch around the city for a spell. Anyone got stuff that we have to see/do/eat?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Go see Garrison Keillor do his show.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

If your Thanksgiving weekend (paging Nosmo) is hard, try sailing through it on a chocolate cloud of Alexanders. No, not the brandy variety. The original Alexander with gin, creme de cacao and cream.

poo poo is gooooooooooood.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Go see Garrison Keillor do his show.

Is he still working? Really? I wanna watch that. :allears:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

El Jebus posted:

My gin of choice, Ransom's Old Tom Gin. Aged in barrels, so delicious. I like making a bastardized old fashioned with it, too.

Never mind the gin, Dat Abyss! :guinness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Lately I've been drinking 2 shots of WT101 over ice with 1 fresh squeezed lemon, lime, and orange. So sour, so tasty.