Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Mantis posted:

I won $110 in poker tonight and like multiplayer wargames (>2p) but already have Forbidden Stars.

What should I blow my money on?

yes obviously I have A&A what a dumb question

Win a couple more and get campaign for North Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

4outof5 posted:

please stop trolling by calling those wargames

trap sprung

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

4outof5 posted:

please stop trolling by calling those wargames

Yeah, they're games about war, kthnx.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

The End posted:

Yeah, they're games about war, kthnx.

sorry mr vasel

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I don't get where all the Chaos is, there's just not enough randomness and dice rolling in this game. Also this "Old World" doesn't look like any old world that I've ever seen.

1/10

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
the maids retire to my bed room after doing a good job for their reward

-an actual mechanic of tonto coro

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Saw Rahdo's video about Small City and it looks intriguing. Between that and The Capitals, are either of them good games? I'm interested in a city building game with spatial elements, but am not as big a fan of auction/bidding mechanics, and am not interested in Suburbia or Ludwig (I know it's supposed to be a great game, but the price setting is something I don't like).

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.

Dirk the Average posted:

Saw Rahdo's video about Small City and it looks intriguing. Between that and The Capitals, are either of them good games? I'm interested in a city building game with spatial elements, but am not as big a fan of auction/bidding mechanics, and am not interested in Suburbia or Ludwig (I know it's supposed to be a great game, but the price setting is something I don't like).

Check out his video on City Council https://boardgamegeek.com/video/34953/city-council/rahdo-runs-through-city-council

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah I have no idea why the 'everyone gets one of the same wizard' isn't the standard way, and drafting the variant in Argent. Any time we play with new players, everyone gets one of each wizard.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lorini posted:

Yeah I have no idea why the 'everyone gets one of the same wizard' isn't the standard way, and drafting the variant in Argent. Any time we play with new players, everyone gets one of each wizard.

The drafting helps ensure that there’s variety between strategies. Obviously starting with two of their starting color does this, but then players will probably double up on others as well. This will wind up effecting their strategies and priorities for the game, which will lead to more interesting interactions. While one of each is easier for new players to learn, I’ve played the game with drafting with people playing brand new, and it’s gone over well enough.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lorini posted:

It's a good idea so i'm going to steal it and claim i came up with it to my group. If they challenge that assertion i will do the only adult thing and pack up and go home.

Also i have archipelago so two new games in the same week is gonna be steep

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, my experience with drafting is that with two of your mages already accounted for (your own color) and only three left to work with that you have to plan around the fact that no matter how you cut it at least one type of student is going to be out of your reach unless you manage to get a supporter (or are playing with a tile) that lets you draft more, and even then the pool is limited. Do you go for purple mages to get those sweet fast action placements? Sure, but then who gets left out? Green? Or blue? Maybe you ignore black mages but whoops, now your opponents are snatching those up which means you know they're gonna be looking for excuses to cast lots of spells, maybe you should go with blue.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Madmarker posted:

The Archmage staff is just super powerful and fragile. If you like the aggression and direct player interaction that can happen in Argent, then it is a wonderful addition. If you dislike that, then I can certainly understand not using it.

For me, it just felt a little bit counterintuitive to the rest of the game (the rules about placement effects and mage abilities and the like) and didn't seem necessary. There's plenty of contention over the regular rooms. But maybe after we've played it quite a bit more, we add it back in occasionally as an alternate scenario.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Mantis posted:

I won $110 in poker tonight and like multiplayer wargames (>2p) but already have Forbidden Stars.

Serious answers: 1812 the invasion of Canada, any COIN game, Virgin Queen, Churchill I guess, but it's pretty euro and not very war, command and colors epic, mem 44 op overlord, here I stand, I think 1775, maria

I dunno, I heard antifreeze doesn't taste too bad

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CodfishCartographer posted:

The drafting helps ensure that there’s variety between strategies. Obviously starting with two of their starting color does this, but then players will probably double up on others as well. This will wind up effecting their strategies and priorities for the game, which will lead to more interesting interactions. While one of each is easier for new players to learn, I’ve played the game with drafting with people playing brand new, and it’s gone over well enough.

Right and we draft but when you are first playing the game, it's overwhelming enough not to worry about drafting. Which is my point. If one of every wizard was standard then I think the game would be more accessible than to try to draft on your first go.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played Cosmic Encounters last night.

Fuuuck that alien with the 4x strength power.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SynthOrange posted:

Fuuuck that game

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Looks like there is a new version of Viticulture coming that includes a few of the early-tier Tuscany expansions. I think it makes sense - seems like they're trying to lower the cost of Tuscany to "less than the base game"

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you subscribe to their newsletter the is a code to save 15 dollars if you buy Viticulture and Tuscany together. I never got in on any of the Kickstarters and worldwide postage isn't too expensive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I finally received my copy of Galaxy of Trian today, only 10 months after it was supposed to be delivered (:lol: Kickstarter). Components and box are really nice, I'll give a play report tomorrow after I get a few 4 player games in.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bottom Liner posted:

(:lol: Kickstarter).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'snot really a wargame, but Quartermaster General was enjoyable the few times I played it. Unfortunately, the base game gives an edge to the Allies for various reasons unless the Axis can get a good early set-up while UK and US are fumbling around building infrastructure or trying to get onto the continent. I haven't played with Air Marshal yet and purportedly it tilts the game back a bit as it can affect the more typical avenues of attack by the Allies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Mantis posted:

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Makin me jealous with the mancers of the university talk. Nowhere I can find in australia even has it listed as a product let alone in stock :( I'm grateful that I was super lucky enough to spot an actual copy of argent in the first place but I want all the argent I can get

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bottom Liner posted:

I finally received my copy of Galaxy of Trian today, only 10 months after it was supposed to be delivered (:lol: Kickstarter). Components and box are really nice, I'll give a play report tomorrow after I get a few 4 player games in.

Please do! Never heard of it so I looked it up and color me curious.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Trip report, didn't get Mancers of the University to the table unfortunately. I played a game of Fairy Tale which is a quick and uncomplicated but not tremendously deep-seeming drafting game, and then got to play a base game of Argent with two new players for a 5 player game that turned 4 player when one had to leave early.

I think 4 players may actually be the sweet spot for Argent as I noticed turns moving more briskly once we were down to that number. Surprisingly it didn't go down to Influence this time...I was solidly outclassed on Influence on two fronts being a distant third which I was sure was going to keep me out of the running, but a last minute spate of research to snag a panoply of various spells secured me several "Most Department" votes, I eked out Most Supporters by one, and took Most Mana and Most Intelligence. I had garnered no Wisdom the whole game and consequently had very few advanced spells compared to other people who were locking off rooms after filling them with their students and doing crazy shadowing tricks which I thought would be worse for me, and I had like no Vault cards either (the prior game's winner had two of the chalices which give you 2 IP a round, she and the person who just squeaked ahead of her were in the mid-30's) but somehow I managed to pull it out.

I focused on a slightly more aggressive approach this time...I was the Sorcery dean so I looked for plenty of opportunities to banish and blast people and it seemed to do okay. I was a bit less dickish to the new players than I could have been if I'd really wanted to be ruthless since I was, y'know, trying not to be a dick, and my victory was entirely to my own surprise. One of them came in second place while the other got third. All in all I think it was a success though I don't think either of them is going to be champing to make it a new must-play (especially considering this game went for about 3.5 hours altogether) but at least some more folks know it now. Next time, next time I'll use Mancers I swear.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

I played it at Spiel last year with 4. It's bad, it goes on way too long and we actually got the designer to admit he was ripping off Carcassonne.

One of our group bought it anyway. :negative:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Fuuuck that alien with the 4x strength power.
You weren't letting them attack with four ships or anything, right?

Xelkelvos posted:

It'snot really a wargame, but Quartermaster General was enjoyable the few times I played it. Unfortunately, the base game gives an edge to the Allies for various reasons unless the Axis can get a good early set-up while UK and US are fumbling around building infrastructure or trying to get onto the continent. I haven't played with Air Marshal yet and purportedly it tilts the game back a bit as it can affect the more typical avenues of attack by the Allies.

As an A&A owner I really want QM to be good, but it looks really boring. Play card to build army, other guy plays card to remove it, repeat. What am I missing?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

You weren't letting them attack with four ships or anything, right?

As an A&A owner I really want QM to be good, but it looks really boring. Play card to build army, other guy plays card to remove it, repeat. What am I missing?

There is a little less strategic depth to QM than A&A, but it's not any where near Risk levels of mindlessness. Each nation has a unique deck and cards are limited to the ones in the deck. If a player runs out of Build Army cards, they'll generally never be able to build an army again. Armies and navies are also piece limited so too much extension in one direction means the inability to expand in another. Decks are also a rating of the nation's economy and too many forced discards can result in points lost.

:hitler: is all about striking hard and fast with cards that let them extend as they force opponents out. :britain: has a good naval game as well as being able to rally forces on the other side of the map and score easy points. :japan: also has a good naval game and primarily sets up reactions which can suddenly expand their reach or push back an entire front. :ussr: is all ground game and can mobilize and support armies like crazy without the need for tracing back to a supply point. :italy: has the smallest deck but the greatest options for point gain if they can take and hold certain locations. :911: has the biggest deck and the best mobilization effects. Additionally, they have the strongest Economic Warfare cards which can drain Axis decks to nothing.

I'm not sure what strategic additions the expansion adds to each nation, but I do know that the Axis gets a way to better defend against the US's bombing runs (economic warfare) which can essentially eliminate one or more Axis players if left unchecked.

All in all, it's a relatively short game (no more than 90 minutes without severe APing) and the RNG is shifted from dice to decks which introduce an element of scarcity. The game only runs 20 rounds or if one side gets 30 points ahead of the other by the end of the round.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 2, 2015

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Jedit posted:

I played it at Spiel last year with 4. It's bad, it goes on way too long and we actually got the designer to admit he was ripping off Carcassonne.

One of our group bought it anyway. :negative:

As long as the idea of Space Carcasonne With Triangles doesn't turn you off Galaxy of Trian is enjoyable and I'd recommend it to other people.

However, I completely agree with Jedit on the game being too long. The final stretch overstays its welcome and there were few meaningful decisions to make with the 0-2 ambassadors everyone had leftover from placing the rest on high value areas. More ambassadors might help, but I suspect reducing the tile count is the better option. The ship expansion seems like it might help as well by giving you something else to do when you can't/won't place someone.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Mantis posted:

The real answer is a copy of Cuba Libre :getin:

Or get Fire in the Lake and another game on top for the same money

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

The Mantis posted:

I'll second 1812 as a good multiplayer wargame on the lighter side. Sword of Rome is a good four or five player game if you want something heavier. Pax Romana also just got reprinted.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

we actually got the designer to admit he was ripping off Carcassonne.

Space themed Carc with ships and stuff is the main reason I bought it. I like the two stack/double sided tiles as well. Carcassonne is the most played game with my wife so this seemed like a good next step, hopefully it's not too dense (as the rulebook seems to suggest).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wait, so was the Star Wars carcass one real or fake?!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The pictures were from some trade show, so I assume real.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I assume they are going to unleash the Starcassonne and Loopin Chewie later this year when the Force Awakens comes out. They also have a new X-Wing core set with x-wings and tie fighters in the style of the new films

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kai Tave posted:

I think 4 players may actually be the sweet spot for Argent as I noticed turns moving more briskly once we were down to that number.

I usually play Argent with 4, and it's definitely great. I actually played Argent 2 player for the first time the other night, and it was surprisingly great. I mean obviously Argent is great, but with two players it turned into a much more intricate and strategic game of trying to predict what the other player is planning, trying to bait them into making bad moves, trying to counter their strategies while not giving them the chance to counter yours, etc. It felt even more interactive than Argent usually is.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Argent with 3 is pretty great, too. I think the only "bad" number is 5... and I'd rather play Argent with 5 than a huge number of other games with any number.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

OmegaGoo posted:

I'd rather play Argent with 5 than a huge number of other games with any number.

kind of an empty statement as long as there are still board games on kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

Argent with 3 is pretty great, too. I think the only "bad" number is 5... and I'd rather play Argent with 5 than a huge number of other games with any number.

5 is still pretty good, it just takes a while. I have played a 6 player game (with the expansions) and that poo poo took FOREVER. It was still fun as hell but not nearly as fun as 3-4 players.

2 players is a strange tempo game which is really neat and I highly recommend it.