Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
You can now pay a few extra bucks a month for Hulu without ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I hope this shuts people up.

(It won't.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

I hope this shuts people up.

(It won't.)

Of course it won't. Paying for the service has the reasonable expectation of also removing the ads.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Of course it won't. Paying for the service has the reasonable expectation of also removing the ads.

Eh, it's not like basic cable is free

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean if I wanted to get all 240 channels it would cost me $90/month (that does include internet, though) and I'd still have to sit through tons of ads.

:shrug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Eh, it's not like basic cable is free

People are comparing it to other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, not cable TV. It's already well known that cable is a scam, which is part of the reason Netflix accounts for forty percent of web traffic or whatever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Spotify is a tough one. I'm friends with a few musicians that hate Spotify for not paying them enough, but what's my alternative? I lost my 700+ record collection 10 years ago, at this point in my life there are literally thousands of albums I might want to listen to at any time - all of which I have legitimately purchased at some time! - so I'm always like "What, would you rather I just pirate your records?"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have only been using Amazon Prime or Netflix to stream stuff for years and hadn't checked out Hulu since I quit using them a few years ago when they kept airing a repeat of the same commercial over and over again on a show I was trying to watch.

Anyway, Home Movies is out on Hulu and I loved that show so I figured the wife and I would watch a couple episodes after being home sick recently. After watching 6 commercials across 3 breaks in 15 minutes we just turned it off in disgust.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Spotify is a tough one. I'm friends with a few musicians that hate Spotify for not paying them enough, but what's my alternative? I lost my 700+ record collection 10 years ago, at this point in my life there are literally thousands of albums I might want to listen to at any time - all of which I have legitimately purchased at some time! - so I'm always like "What, would you rather I just pirate your records?"

Yeah, the music industry is trying every way it can to get the most while giving up the least. Touring/live performances and merch seem like the only real avenues for artists making any money at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

People are comparing it to other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, not cable TV. It's already well known that cable is a scam, which is part of the reason Netflix accounts for forty percent of web traffic or whatever.

Hulu's timeliness separates it from the Netflixes and Amazon Primes. No commercials would obviously be better but that has enough value that it evens out for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can see the argument both ways but there's that part of me that chafes at paying for nothing extra except removing ads.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think I wouldn't mind the Hulu ads that much if there was a greater variety in them. It's the repetition that drives me nuts.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Yeah, the music industry is trying every way it can to get the most while giving up the least. Touring/live performances and merch seem like the only real avenues for artists making any money at all.

Not according to a guy in a YouTube cover band (who also happens to be a co-founder of Patreon but of course he's not gonna mention that).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think I wouldn't mind the Hulu ads that much if there was a greater variety in them. It's the repetition that drives me nuts.

This. Plus honestly I can't deal with the interval between commercial breaks being maybe roughly only 4 times longer than the time spent on commercials themselves. Just not worth it. I remember as a kid the family paying for cable for the 1st time because "you don't have to watch commercials on cable channels" and paying for my streams now for the same reason. gently caress paying for something to show you commercials and paying even more for them not to. Terrible model.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Franchescanado posted:

Dog movies are weird. They can be incredibly profitable, critics can praise it, people will name their pets after the movie, and then they're quickly forgotten.

Does anyone actually remember My Dog Skip? Does anyone remember it was young Frankie Munez and Kevin Bacon? Or how popular Jack Russells became?

No. You probably don't.
Frasier was a popular show for most of a decade before My Dog Skip came along. Jack Russels were really big before Frankie Muniz. If you wanted to use a better example you could name Milo and Otis as being responsible for pug popularity as some kind of desire to self-infantalize by buying a dog that reminds you of your childhood. Can't think of many movies or media with pugs in them before that.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Right?? loving no advertising. I just saw a single banner ad today. I have to think they're playing some brilliant advertising move to NOT spend money and worry less about building buzz before every show and getting a following.

They'll just let people find this mysterious back catalogue they have to recommend to their friends. And honestly it's the way I watch TV as well.
Narcos has been advertised steadily for the last month or two - I had assumed it was already out because I saw it so much and was kind of surprised when I went to play it a while back and realized it was just a preview.

neonnoodle posted:

I can't wait for Mr. Rogers. I need that poo poo in my life right now. I only wish that there were more episodes of How It's Made on Hulu... :smith:
Check out Daniel Tiger's neighborhood. It's made by the same people, with the same goals and message, with a bunch of characters that are largely the children and family members of the old show's characters.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 2, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
How much you're willing to spend per month on streaming services is really a personal value decision that can't be criticized, but I was perfectly happy to pay more for no commercials. I hate 'em. The loving ads drove me off of the Xbox and kept me right on the knife-edge of quitting Hulu Plus for years (and in fact I had turned off my account for the summer, which is something I encourage everyone to do as it's super easy).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I always thought that Hulu should just be free, but it would have ad's. Then you could just pay for no ads. I don't understand paying for a service to get ads and paint them more to get rid of them.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

But...but...my Daily Burn commercials. How will I ever know if I'm out of excuses?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Check out Daniel Tiger's neighborhood. It's made by the same people, with the same goals and message, with a bunch of characters that are largely the children and family members of the old show's characters.

Huh that's neat

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I am definitely in the minority, but really netflix and hulu have always seemed so cheap to me and they blow even the basic cable package out of the water. I would not mind paying a little more per month to never see an ad again.

White God is so good and I have never seen animals "act" so well in any film ever. It is really hard to watch however if you are like me and love dogs. Also it made me feel like such a child because I would nearly cry when an animal was abused or killed, but I felt like cheering when humans were killed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you're into watching older classics or foreign films Hulu is the best value of any streaming service because of the Criterions they have. Commercials aren't an issue there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The_Rob posted:

I always thought that Hulu should just be free, but it would have ad's. Then you could just pay for no ads. I don't understand paying for a service to get ads and paint them more to get rid of them.

Exactly.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Frasier was a popular show for most of a decade before My Dog Skip came along. Jack Russels were really big before Frankie Muniz. If you wanted to use a better example you could name Milo and Otis as being responsible for pug popularity as some kind of desire to self-infantalize by buying a dog that reminds you of your childhood. Can't think of many movies or media with pugs in them before that.

Pugs became popular because of Men In Black. :colbert:

And while Frasier did have a Jack Russell for much longer, I know more people with Jack Russells named Skip than I do Eddie. But even so, the point is dog trends are oddly based around pop culture. I'm sure we will have a surge of German Shepards and dogs named Max now that we had a "kickin' rad patriotic soldier dog childhood action/adventure movie".

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's an extra 4 bucks a month. That's 50% more than it costs already. Hulu is already free (with ads) if you stream it from a computer, but 8 bucks a month if you use anything else to stream it (with ads).

I don't think the extra cost is worth it just to skip like a minute of ads.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

It's an extra 4 bucks a month. That's 50% more than it costs already. Hulu is already free (with ads) if you stream it from a computer, but 8 bucks a month if you use anything else to stream it (with ads).

I don't think the extra cost is worth it just to skip like a minute of ads.

Is there really no difference between hulu free and paid if I use a PC? I thought there was a lot more content with a subscription.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's another huge problem with Hulu Plus: Selective content depending on device.

I paid for Hulu Plus for access to the exclusive Criterion Collection. My main way of watching anything on streaming is via Xbox Live or a Smart TV. Hulu will list any movie available on Criterion, but you can only stream maybe a 3rd, at best. The rest pop up with an error saying "Only Available on Hulu Website".

If I am paying to be able to watch your impressive Criterion Collection, I should be able to watch your impressive Criterion Collection. But I can't. I can watch maybe a Jarmusch movie, if I'm lucky. Or House.

Safe to say I cancelled the service. If they fix this, they can get me back. But I'd rather wait for the contract to end and the movies go somewhere else, or they get their own streaming service.

Also, Hulu sent me an e-mail saying "Please come back! Here's 2 months free!" And then sent me another e-mail two weeks after saying "Nevermind, you can have 2 weeks free!" No thanks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

That's another huge problem with Hulu Plus: Selective content depending on device.

I paid for Hulu Plus for access to the exclusive Criterion Collection. My main way of watching anything on streaming is via Xbox Live or a Smart TV. Hulu will list any movie available on Criterion, but you can only stream maybe a 3rd, at best. The rest pop up with an error saying "Only Available on Hulu Website".

Wow, really? I was just about to sign up for Hulu Plus for the Criterion stuff, but 100% of my viewing would be through either ps3 or xbox in my living room. Thanks for saving me the money.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

wa27 posted:

Is there really no difference between hulu free and paid if I use a PC? I thought there was a lot more content with a subscription.

Some shows only have the last five episodes or so available free, with the full season (or full series) available only on Plus.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Wow, really? I was just about to sign up for Hulu Plus for the Criterion stuff, but 100% of my viewing would be through either ps3 or xbox in my living room. Thanks for saving me the money.

Yeah, it's insane. And if it's a popular movie, it's almost guaranteed not on Xbox/PS streaming.

Fear and Loathing? No.
Night of the Hunter? No.
Eyes Without A Face? No.
Anything by Wes Anderson? No.

The list goes on and on.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, it's insane. And if it's a popular movie, it's almost guaranteed not on Xbox/PS streaming.

Fear and Loathing? No.
Night of the Hunter? No.
Eyes Without A Face? No.
Anything by Wes Anderson? No.

The list goes on and on.

Eyes Without A Face is the only one of those that's actually available on the Hulu web portal. And I haven't noticed anything that's specifically locked out on PS3, but that's where I'm usually browsing titles.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was only ever able to watch Eraserhead, David Lynch's Short Films, and House/Hausu (1977) on my Xbox Live or TV.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
There are a lot of things about Hulu I don't like, but for what it's worth I would say I watch it at least 10 times more often than Netflix. Most of my daily viewing is TV shows for background noise while I'm online/writing/doing stuff around the house and it serves that purpose a whole lot better than Netflix. The Criterion Collection is just a bonus for me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I was only ever able to watch Eraserhead, David Lynch's Short Films, and House/Hausu (1977) on my Xbox Live or TV.

When did you subscribe? They may have been gradually adding rights to stream titles on other platforms.

Like I said, it's possible/probable some stuff is locked out (and I'm not exactly digging into deep cuts) but over the last few months I've watched some Kurosawa, Ozu, Wages of Fear, A Hard Day's Night, Solaris, House, Godzilla, Safety Last!, Zatoichi, etc.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I can understand Hulu not grabbing some people, but there are enough new shows that my girlfriend and I like to watch shortly after airing that aren't on Netflix, that in addition to the Criterion films, $12 is worth it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

When did you subscribe? They may have been gradually adding rights to stream titles on other platforms.

Like I said, it's possible/probable some stuff is locked out (and I'm not exactly digging into deep cuts) but over the last few months I've watched some Kurosawa, Ozu, Wages of Fear, A Hard Day's Night, Solaris, House, Godzilla, Safety Last!, Zatoichi, etc.

Less than a year ago. I made a huge list of Criterion horror movies for Halloween last year, and became frustrated with the fact I couldn't watch any of them. Made another list of "Must See on Criterion" movies, and became frustrated again with it.

If you're an avid TV show viewer, or you like TV Shows for background noise, then I get the appeal to Hulu (minus the annoying redundant commercials). But I don't really watch much popular TV (what I do watch is on Prime or Netflix), and use podcasts or old B-Movies on YouTube as background noise. I signed on JUST for Criterion, and I mainly use Xbox Live for streaming, so the results were very unsatisfying.

Also, paying an extra 50% to get rid of commercials is stupid. Yeah, it's still cheaper than cable, but so is every other streaming service that doesn't use commercials.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Explotation.tv is going live tonight or tomorrow. It's Vinegar Syndrome's streaming site. $9.99 a month.

:nws: http://exploitation.tv/ :nws:

Can't wait to give it a try.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I binged through Narcos in a few days, and need to see more of Padilha's work now. Elite Squad: Enemy Within is on Netflix, but Elite Squad isn't. Can I watch Enemy Within first, or should I wait and track down Elite Squad?

The first one helps to flesh out a little bit more of the second, but it's not required. You can watch the first one using Hola set to Brazil, I believe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think only the XBox version locks any content. I've used Hulu Plus on both PS3 and PS4 and have never seen the "this is only available on Hulu's website" message.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean its definitely a subscription that I could get rid of at some point once I go through all of the Criterions I want to watch, but I went into it having almost no experience with some of the greats like Bergman, Fellini, Tarkovsky, Wenders, Ozu, or Godard. Sure, not everything by those directors is there but I still have quite a bit in my queue and it will take a while to get through it all. Plus a bunch of Kurosawa I hadn't seen yet.

If you only want to watch more modern films like Wes Anderson, its not worth it but that kind of stuff only makes up like 5% of the collection anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Explotation.tv is going live tonight or tomorrow. It's Vinegar Syndrome's streaming site. $9.99 a month.

:nws: http://exploitation.tv/ :nws:

Can't wait to give it a try.

I love this genre; have you had a chance to really check it out? Worth the price?