Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Man, that introduction mission was really something else. :stare:

Now I want Kojima to make a Ghost Rider game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah really? What the gently caress was baby Psycho Mantis and the Russian guy from Snake Eater doing there? I thought I was hallucinating for a sec.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
If anyone wants to know what the deal with Psycho Mantis is...
He is drawn to people who irradiate strong negative thoughts and can let them take control of his powers for a while. In the opening section, he's channeling Volgin's desire to kill BB, whereas at some other points in the story he lets Skull Face take over Metal Gear. During the bit where Snake is Skull Face's hostage, Mantis allows Eli (who he urged to sneak out of Mother Base) to pilot Sahelanthropus.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Finished the game this evening. (I've had it since last Thursday.) Pretty good overall, although they definitely saved up most of the "Kojima" for the prologue and epilogue, the parts in between are largely bereft of his usual indulgences. Kinda missed it. Would have been nice to have a bit more story and cutscenes.

Edit: Also, Mother Base felt like a missed opportunity. Lots of potential there, and almost none of it capitalised on.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 2, 2015

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Apparently the entire resolution of Eli, the children and ST-84 was cut from the final release of the game but they included everything they had concerning the mission on the collector's edition bonus disk for people to see?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Apparently the entire resolution of Eli, the children and ST-84 was cut from the final release of the game but they included everything they had concerning the mission on the collector's edition bonus disk for people to see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4JIHh5Jqk

yeah here it is, hella spoilers. Also Liquid did 9/11

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4JIHh5Jqk

yeah here it is, hella spoilers. Also Liquid did 9/11

Aw. Liquid and Psycho Mantis were best buds and knew each other when they were kids. :3:

Seems kind of bad this mission was never finished though, it looks like it was the conclusion to Eli's arc through the game and even Venom's in a way. Kind of weird to not include it at all. Though I still don't know how the game ends so maybe it's still pretty satisfying.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 2, 2015

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's weird that that scene wasn't finished, it's not like you need to make the game in order, seems like you should finish your story beats and pad it out from there. I wonder if it's the trap mechanics that couldn't get finished? Maybe it was cut intentionally?

edit: If we could just get this and the return to GitMo as DLC at least...

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 2, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That cut mission makes the ending make a lot more sense. I can't believe that got cut, while something stupid like a nearly naked Quiet splashing around in the rain with Venom in a cringeworthy scene managed to make it in. The more I play the game, the more convinced I am Kojima spent most of the time just jerking off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Wait, what? Didn't Konami delay the release date even though the game was pretty much done like half a year ago? How could there be unfinished content?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Gunder posted:

Finished the game this evening. (I've had it since last Thursday.) Pretty good overall, although they definitely saved up most of the "Kojima" for the prologue and epilogue, the parts in between are largely bereft of his usual indulgences. Kinda missed it. Would have been nice to have a bit more story and cutscenes.

Yeah, 95% of this game is feeling very generic and open-worldy...keep on hitting start mission, then watching the opening credits waiting to see "Guest Starring: Sergei Gurlukovich" or something...but nope, just mostly generic Soviet airborne regiment guys or whatever...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

RatHat posted:

Wait, what? Didn't Konami delay the release date even though the game was pretty much done like half a year ago? How could there be unfinished content?

Watch the video. The cutscenes they probably could have finished pretty easily, but it looks like there was a boss fight cut that would have been more involved than any boss fight in the entire series, judging by the concept art.

I really wish they'd release it as DLC, but there's basically no chance for that since they released the video of the workprint.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Anderron Shi posted:

Yeah, 95% of this game is feeling very generic and open-worldy...keep on hitting start mission, then watching the opening credits waiting to see "Guest Starring: Sergei Gurlukovich" or something...but nope, just mostly generic Soviet airborne regiment guys or whatever...

I still found it to be an amazing game though. I just wish there was more non-tape based story in there.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So why was Quiet naked all the time? We were promised a Shocking Revelation IIRC

Gunder
May 22, 2003

One more thing: I never saw that cutscene which showed Paz with longer blonde hair. It's shown In the 2015 E3 trailer at 2:28. Was it cut from the game like the Eli stuff? Did I just miss something along the way?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So why was Quiet naked all the time? We were promised a Shocking Revelation IIRC
If you get the Shocking Revelation you're punished by her leaving your game forever :laffo:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

She got hosed up during the prologue and was really badly burned inside and out. The only way for her to go on living was to get some of that parasite poo poo in her that was keeping Skullface alive. She needed to be naked because her lungs were toast and she could only respire through photosynthesis via the parasites. Code Talker can do this too, but unlike Quiet, his lungs aren't kaput, so he can also just breathe normally.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gunder posted:

One more thing: I never saw that cutscene which showed Paz with longer blonde hair. It's shown In the 2015 E3 trailer at 2:28. Was it cut from the game like the Eli stuff? Did I just miss something along the way?
It's a hidden scene you can find on MB apparently

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gunder posted:

She got hosed up during the prologue and was really badly burned inside and out. The only way for her to go on living was to get some of that parasite poo poo in her that was keeping Skullface alive. She needed to be naked because her lungs were toast and she could only respire through photosynthesis via the parasites. Code Talker can do this too, but unlike Quiet, his lungs aren't kaput, so he can also just breathe normally.

Hm. Still not feeling ashamed of my words and deeds, here.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gunder posted:

Look around in medical up some stairs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Get that dumb fire whale poo poo outta hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So why the gently caress is Paz alive but Chico is dead?

I am convinced Chico was Quiet in the original script Kojima only changed to the lame sunbathing poo poo after teh Interweb figured it out.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 2, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
playing through ground zeroes i just noticed snakes shadow is clearly the shadow of the medic. doesnt even have a mullet. first i figured it was because my shadows were not on extra high but it still does it.

anyone figured out the msx tape stuff yet? also speaking of people saying boss fights are cut, didn't the guide say a lot of the boss fights were only in the harder difficulties like extreme? and each difficulty had more story and objectives to complete?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vikar Jerome posted:

playing through ground zeroes i just noticed snakes shadow is clearly the shadow of the medic. doesnt even have a mullet. first i figured it was because my shadows were not on extra high but it still does it.

You have to provide a screenshot with a claim like this.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What do you do with the Nuclear Waste disposal option you get after chapter 2 begins? The game told me I could start building nukes, or disposing of them, but I haven't found any to dispose of. Where do you get them?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RatHat posted:

You have to provide a screenshot with a claim like this.

haha no i dont, this is the spoiler thread so we already know the truth. just load ground zeroes up. you dont even have to start a new game just go into the options menu in the main menu screen and you'll see it reflected. no mullet, short hair shadow.

also in that same chopper menu scene the medic is sat at the back of the chopper and keeps looking over.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
There's ~10 scenes that were in the various trailers that haven't showed up in the game, and there's several people with 100% now who can verify that.

It seems virtually all the cut content including that final mission involved the child soldiers. Kojima wanted to go big with breaking Taboos and it may be that we got an incomplete game when Konami feared the backlash.

Otherwise, there's the bloody shots of Big Boss's face, those are reasonably something made solely for trailers though.

And finally, there's this:

Which to me looks very similar to parts of the animation in the cut mission 51, but the location doesn't seem right.

From what I've read and seen this past week, there's not too much to suggest that Skull Face, Volgin, or any other characters had their boss fights cut. It does seem pretty obvious that the Battle Gear was meant to be a drivable vehicle just by how it's presented.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There's a meta-aspect of this that works really, really well for me:

Big Boss essentially turning someone into his doppleganger so he can pull some bullshit behind the scenes is extremely hosed up, because he became who he hates. He's become absolutely nothing like who he was in Peace Walker.

This actually makes the switch to Kiefer Sutherland spot-on in retrospect. Big Boss is a different person and nothing like who he was before.

What's really tragic is that Kojima hosed up by not telling Hayter at all why the switch happened (typical Japanese behavior), and Hayter hosed up by not keeping his cool over it.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What's really tragic is that Kojima hosed up by not telling Hayter at all why the switch happened (typical Japanese behavior), and Hayter hosed up by not keeping his cool over it.

Would've been cool if Ground Zeroes was just the Medic receiving hypnotherapy and learning Big Boss's skills (hence the constant reminders of what he can do, the pseudo-historical one-objective missions, etc.) and Kiefer only played the Medic and then later Big Boss through proxy. Any time actual Big Boss showed up, he was voiced by Hayter but I can understand why they didn't do that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:tinfoil: time:

The parasites in TPP become the nanomachines. Makes a whole lot of sense why FOXDIE, a nanomachine virus, would eventually decay and become a plague, because the nanomachine components decay, reverting the virus to its natural, extremely dangerous form. All the other nanomachines in the series are derived from these things, because this particular virus can directly gently caress with nervous systems.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

He did tell Hayter why the switch happened: he wanted a better/real actor for the facial capture. If the reasoning behind the change of actors was the Medic thing I'm sure Kojima would have had real BB voiced by Hayter after the reveal.

The Japanese voice for Snake/BB is the same across every game, including TPP.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

The Japanese voice for Snake/BB is the same across every game, including TPP.

Though he does do separate voices for Snake and Big Boss. The two sound a lot more distinct than Hayter's versions.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

There's ~10 scenes that were in the various trailers that haven't showed up in the game, and there's several people with 100% now who can verify that.

It seems virtually all the cut content including that final mission involved the child soldiers. Kojima wanted to go big with breaking Taboos and it may be that we got an incomplete game when Konami feared the backlash.

Otherwise, there's the bloody shots of Big Boss's face, those are reasonably something made solely for trailers though.

Which to me looks very similar to parts of the animation in the cut mission 51, but the location doesn't seem right.

From what I've read and seen this past week, there's not too much to suggest that Skull Face, Volgin, or any other characters had their boss fights cut. It does seem pretty obvious that the Battle Gear was meant to be a drivable vehicle just by how it's presented.

this loving sucks, but i honestly expected it with the child stuff.

edit: wait metal gear isn't drivable? didn't the guide say it was and everyone stays on alert? then again i don't know what battle gear is.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 3, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

This really sucks. I wanted the story of Big Boss becoming evil. I'll give them the Phantom, but wasn't this supposed to be the story of him "becoming a demon"? I was waiting for his horn to grow as he gradually became the villain, but it never happened. It feels like this was Part 1 of 2 tbh.

That said, I enjoyed it immensely.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 3, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

This really sucks. I wanted the story of Big Boss becoming evil. I'll give them the Phantom, but wasn't this supposed to be the story of him "becoming a demon"? I was waiting for his horn to grow as he gradually became the villain, but it never happened.

the horn does grow but it's gameplay based on your heroism score and some unseen demon score so if your demon score gets low enough the horn is out and you are covered in blood. i'd guess killing a lot of people and running over baby d-dog is what does it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

the horn does grow but it's gameplay based on your heroism score and some unseen demon score so if your demon score gets low enough the horn is out and you are covered in blood. i'd guess killing a lot of people and running over baby d-dog is what does it.

Oh, I didn't know that. I killed maybe 50 people in my 30 hours of gameplay.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The game's story feeling incomplete is precisely why I'm not so hot on this game. I've no idea why the main selling point of the game, the point where you actually devolve into evil regardless if it were Big Boss or Venom, was cut. If Konami decided to do that then gently caress them for being such idiots.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vikar Jerome posted:

Building a nuke is also a way to get a massive Demon boost.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The game's story feeling incomplete is precisely why I'm not so hot on this game. I've no idea why the main selling point of the game, the point where you actually devolve into evil regardless if it were Big Boss or Venom, was cut. If Konami decided to do that then gently caress them for being such idiots.

Before going into the game, I heard that Episodes 1-30 was part 1 and 31-50 was part 2. I was expecting a full second chapter detailing his fall since his vengeance conquest was over. Due to the trailers (realizing I hadn't seen a lot of the content such as the napalmed village/hallway with the horn growing/shooting your own soldiers in mother base and various other scenes hinting at a villainous plot line), it was just a perfect concoction of disappointment.

Great game, but the story really feels like only half of it was told. The most disappointing thing about that is, we're never going to get that "second part". I'm assuming that the budget was an issue leading to cut content eventually leading to Kojima walking out, I just don't understand why they wouldn't release Phantom Pain part 1 and part 2.

If they held off on releasing Ground Zeroes, they could have easily reworked the story and released Ground Zeroes+Hospital+Afghanistan (kill Skullface in part 1) where Big Boss is the hero while Part 2 would have been Africa+that island seen in Episode 51 detailing his downfall, selling both for $60.

I'd rather have that than have the story feel unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Before going into the game, I heard that Episodes 1-30 was part 1 and 31-50 was part 2. I was expecting a full second chapter detailing his fall since his vengeance conquest was over. Due to the trailers (realizing I hadn't seen a lot of the content such as the napalmed village/hallway with the horn growing/shooting your own soldiers in mother base and various other scenes hinting at a villainous plot line), it was just a perfect concoction of disappointment.

Great game, but the story really feels like only half of it was told. The most disappointing thing about that is, we're never going to get that "second part". I'm assuming that the budget was an issue leading to cut content eventually leading to Kojima walking out, I just don't understand why they wouldn't release Phantom Pain part 1 and part 2.

If they held off on releasing Ground Zeroes, they could have easily reworked the story and released Ground Zeroes+Hospital+Afghanistan (kill Skullface in part 1) where Big Boss is the hero while Part 2 would have been Africa+that island seen in Episode 51 detailing his downfall, selling both for $60.

I'd rather have that than have the story feel unfinished.

The whole thing just makes me feel like the game wasted my time. And yeah, the game is fun, up until Chapter 2. Then you just grind the same missions you've done over and over again but it's slightly harder but you don't even notice it's harder because by then you have more tools at your disposal meaning it's arguably easier than doing the mission the first time around.

It's not a bad game. I wouldn't even say it's a mediocre one. But I don't think it deserves the 9/10 or 10/10 it's been getting. To me it's a solid 8 at most, perhaps even a bit lower just because of how the story irritates me. Which has nothing to do with the concept of the twist itself (I like the idea of it), but the really shoddy execution of it.

• Locked thread