Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Rough Lobster posted:

Made a new friend who's four year old son is named Hamish. I know that's a name and all, but ugh.

I think it's a variant form of James, but it's sort of like James...ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rough Lobster posted:

Made a new friend who's four year old son is named Hamish. I know that's a name and all, but ugh.

Hamish is fine, I don't see the problem? I mean it's probably not particularly common in some places, but it's a perfectly normal name.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I have a disturbing number of siblings with names from anime (this number is nonzero).

For the youngest two I just stick with their cute nicknames.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

These are bother horrible and awesome parents. I hope the guy has a good sense of humor

http://drhardick.com/

...oh he's a chiropractor :(

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Memento posted:

Hamish is fine, I don't see the problem? I mean it's probably not particularly common in some places, but it's a perfectly normal name.

Maybe it's spelled Haimysch?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

sweeperbravo posted:

I probably mentioned this before but I met a little girl named Maile.
Miley...
Even at the age of 6 or 7 you already got the sense she was exhausted about having to correct every new person she met. :(
Maile is actually a pretty normal name in Hawaii; it's a plant used to make leis. It's not COMMON, but nothing people would raise their eyebrows at.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Noyemi K posted:

I have a disturbing number of siblings with names from anime (this number is nonzero).

Siblings? Like they're your siblings? How did you manage to avoid getting an anime name yourself?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Maile is actually a pretty normal name in Hawaii; it's a plant used to make leis. It's not COMMON, but nothing people would raise their eyebrows at.
Thanks for the cultural background! For reference I am in New Jersey, though I guess that link is still possible. Maybe she can move there when she's old enough and won't have to deal with people being confused anymore.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've known a couple people named Pua. It's not an uncommon name elsewhere in the world but Poo-Ah sounds like a refreshing fecal treat.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I've known a couple people named Pua. It's not an uncommon name elsewhere in the world but Poo-Ah sounds like a refreshing fecal treat.

It probably also doesn't help that the first thing a lot of people will think when they hear "Pua" will be "PUA aka Pick-Up Artist."

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I was at a cafe yesterday and there was a very white, suburban lady yelling at her kid who was apparently named 'Aurelio'.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

Come on, you can't just post this and not say what their names are.

The News at 5
Dec 25, 2009

I'm Chance Everyman.
Helped a customer today named Lincoln Davis. Also have a customer named Lincoln Douglas.

I live in Springfield, Illinois.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The News at 5 posted:

Helped a customer today named Lincoln Davis. Also have a customer named Lincoln Douglas.

I live in Springfield, Illinois.

The third sentence explains the first two.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
They don't call it the land of Lincolns for nothing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
A Connecticut politician is whining about the mountain thing because he named his son McKinley :jerkbag:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Malachi: traditional, but boring
Malakie: perfect :downs:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ElwoodCuse posted:

A Connecticut politician is whining about the mountain thing because he named his son McKinley :jerkbag:

What mountain thing?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

What mountain thing?

Mount McKinley, the highest point in North America, is now officially called Denali. A lot of people are upset by this because Obama did a thing.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Siblings? Like they're your siblings? How did you manage to avoid getting an anime name yourself?

Yes, my siblings. My youngest sister's named Utena (yes, the anime one), my 2000-born brother has a broth of middle names from Tenchi characters, my youngest brother has a middle name from a fightan game character, one of them has an improperly-feminized "Theodore/Fyodor" (after Fyodor Yemelianenko, the ukrainian-born fighter).

My brother and I got some fairly normal names because we showed up before video games entered the household, so he's a Johnny and I'm a, hahaha, person with a normal name. Also the second sister has a normal name too, despite being in the middle of the anime storm. (I have 7 siblings)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This lady's last name is SCHWINGENSCHLOEGL. That must be fun to spell for literally everyone you give your name to

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PeaceDiner posted:

It probably also doesn't help that the first thing a lot of people will think when they hear "Pua" will be "PUA aka Pick-Up Artist."

I only realized like last year that pick-up artists aren't flowers

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ElwoodCuse posted:

Wtf?

Did he name his kid after the mountain or the president?

Opopanax posted:

This lady's last name is SCHWINGENSCHLOEGL. That must be fun to spell for literally everyone you give your name to

That's a good name. Sounds like a washingmachine brand.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

sweeperbravo posted:

Wtf?

The mountain.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/politics/pol-named-son-mckinley-upset-mount-change-article-1.2345243

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

Wtf?

Gotta change the kid's name to Denali now. It's still an improvement!

The News at 5
Dec 25, 2009

I'm Chance Everyman.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The third sentence explains the first two.

I just hope they know this town's history enough to understand why those may not be great first/last name combos.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

From the idiots on social media thread

TheFallenEvincar posted:

To be fair when I look at that guy and then find out his name is Dick Stinkle I figure he definitely went through enough trauma in elementary/high school to justify becoming a Young Republican.
I mean when everyone in your peer group already lacks respect for you, you might as well get a contrarian identity
Let us not judge Dick Stinkle, let us ask what we might have become were we named Dick Stinkle.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Noyemi K posted:

...one of them has an improperly-feminized "Theodore/Fyodor" (after Fyodor Yemelianenko, the ukrainian-born fighter).

So your sister is named Fyodora? She must be quite the m'lady :tipshat:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

quote:

Frantz's twin sons are named Hunter,named for a mountain near McKinley, and Hanley, from a mountain in West Rutland, Vermont. The boys were allowed to name their little sister Brady after the New England Patriots quarterback but only after they showed their dad there was a Brady Mountain in Arkansas.

:stare:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cyberia posted:

Zangiefifi.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

cyberia posted:

Pfft, that would be the proper feminization.

It's "Fedor" spelled with a PHAY at the front. And don't pick on her man, she's my favourite :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Your parents are terrible for naming your siblings after anime characters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phlegmish posted:

Oh god. You reminded me that I know a man who convinced his mother to name his new little brother Elric after Full Metal Alchemist.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
http://danieldanieldentistry.com/

One of my city's dentists. Dr Daniel Daniel Daniel.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

MorgaineDax posted:

http://danieldanieldentistry.com/

One of my city's dentists. Dr Daniel Daniel Daniel.

Has anyone ever confirmed that the middle D also stands for Daniel? I always imagined it was an unrelated misdirect D, like his parents named him Daniel David Daniel just to gently caress with people.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Phlegmish posted:

I'm named after a loving Prince Valiant character, and my parents are alright.

Granted, my dad didn't tell my mom where it came from til after the birth certificate was signed, and it's an actual, though rare, name, but still.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Aleta? (Really hoping it's not Horrit.)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

ibntumart posted:

Aleta? (Really hoping it's not Horrit.)

Yup. My mom nixed Galadriel, so dad had to get sneaky and actually find it in a baby name book before suggesting it.

My younger brothers both have totally normal names, I think my folks were either more hippy-ish when I was born or they thought they'd have more leeway with a girl.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Sep 4, 2015

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Dogfish posted:

Has anyone ever confirmed that the middle D also stands for Daniel? I always imagined it was an unrelated misdirect D, like his parents named him Daniel David Daniel just to gently caress with people.

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/best-dentist/BestOf?oid=3128239 Hard hitting local journalism has confirmed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Crow Jane posted:

Yup. My mom nixed Galadriel, so dad had to get sneaky and actually find it in a baby name book before suggesting it.

My younger brothers both have totally normal names, I think my folks were either more hippy-ish when I was born or they thought they'd have more leeway with a girl.

Aleta is one of my favorite names. :3

Noyemi K posted:

Pfft, that would be the proper feminization.

It's "Fedor" spelled with a PHAY at the front. And don't pick on her man, she's my favourite :(

Can I pick on your parents? Just a little? I'm sure they're good dudes, but....yikes.