Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Segmentation Fault posted:

Customer's mac refuses to boot now. I have no idea what's wrong, but it's stuck on the boot "spinning wheel." Resetting PRAM, resetting SMC, diagnostic mode, safe mode, recovery, Internet recovery... Nothing's working or giving different results.

If you can get a copy I would give DiskWarrior a shot, it's saved my rear end multiple times when nothing else would work.

Also either pulling the drive and putting in another machine and running disk utility or using a boot disk with Disk Utility/Disk Warrior has worked for me in the past

Also as suggested good old fsck -fy in single user mode is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

A package came in.

"Hey, larchesdanrew, Buffalo NASs were on sale on TigerDirect, so I bought 6 of them!"

:suicide:

Supervisor? Or someone else?

VVVV: DO I?! :iiam:

Malek fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 2, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You know the answer.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pr0digal posted:

If you can get a copy I would give DiskWarrior a shot, it's saved my rear end multiple times when nothing else would work.

Also either pulling the drive and putting in another machine and running disk utility or using a boot disk with Disk Utility/Disk Warrior has worked for me in the past

Also as suggested good old fsck -fy in single user mode is great

fsck -fy until everything's fine is nice, but it doesn't seem to be working. Booting up in verbose mode shows that some directories (/Library/LaunchDaemons and /System/Library/LaunchDaemons) appear to have some incorrectly set user permissions. Is there a tool that just sets user permissions back to default without having to chmod everything?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

A package came in.

"Hey, larchesdanrew, Buffalo NASs were on sale on TigerDirect, so I bought 6 of them!"

I actually said "oh god no" when I read this post.

Return them, ask for refund.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

I actually said "oh god no" when I read this post.

Return them, ask for refund.

I asked as kindly as possible, "What the loving poo poo you idiot?"

:downs: "Well they were on sale and I figured you could finally replace the ones that crashed before."
:stare: "You do understand they failed because they're buffalo drives, and you want me to replace them with more buffalo drives, right?"
:downs: "Nah, they failed cause they got too full."
:stare: "Hard drives don't work that way. Archives need redundancy. These are all single drive units with no way to restore them."
:downs: "They'll be fine, as long as they keep them from filling up."

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

fsck -fy until everything's fine is nice, but it doesn't seem to be working. Booting up in verbose mode shows that some directories (/Library/LaunchDaemons and /System/Library/LaunchDaemons) appear to have some incorrectly set user permissions. Is there a tool that just sets user permissions back to default without having to chmod everything?

Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature - https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203176

See: Try Disk Utility

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

:wtf:

This is like when my boss told me we should increase the speed of our lab computers - which have 8GB of RAM - by downgrading them to 32-bit Win 7.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

larchesdanrew posted:

:downs: "Well they were on sale and I figured you could finally replace the ones that crashed before."
:stare: "You do understand they failed because they're buffalo drives, and you want me to replace them with more buffalo drives, right?"
:stare: "Hard drives don't work that way. Archives need redundancy. These are all single drive units with no way to restore them."

Did you press him about the ftp/usergroup removal email that has your users acting all passive aggressive?

If so, what was his reaction?

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Memo

To: GM
Re: Recent Unauthorized Purchase

You should be aware that so-and-so made a large purchase of Buffalo NAS products. This purchase doubles-down on proven-to-be failed technology for our use case. His reasoning for the purchase was "they were on sale."

To be very clear, I am not comfortable with leaving strategic IT decisions with long-term, potentially disastrous ramifications in the hands of a comedic stereotype of a 1980s housewife.

Requesting written authorization to immediately return the products for a full refund.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
sounds like the boss is buffaloing larchesdanrew

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I sadly know the answer to this but how does this statement not immediately cause a revocation of all IT related responsibilities from this individual.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Ignoring the obvious "failed because they got too fail" idioacy:

If I'm reading the website right: Buffalo Professional grade NAS does have some redundancy built in.
Would that then mean your boss is buying the Home/Small Office versions? That's even more :downs: then I originally though.

EDIT: now that I think about it - larches' boss being the cheapskate makes that obvious. Still only just now hit me since I wasn't familar with Buffalo before.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 2, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Finally got the drat mac to boot to something. Had a OS X Snow Leopard CD lying around. Discovered the Macbook was from 2008, which explains Internet Recovery not working. :downs:

User permissions across the board are screwed. I have no earthly idea what could cause such a thing?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Lightning Jim posted:

Ignoring the obvious "failed because they got too fail" idioacy:

If I'm reading the website right: Buffalo Professional grade NAS does have some redundancy built in.
Would that then mean your boss is buying the Home/Small Office versions? That's even more :downs: then I originally though.

You knew the answer inside all along :getin:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Haquer posted:

You knew the answer inside all along :getin:

Yeah, hence the Edit. :smith:

I mean, there's buying cheap end NAS. Then there's buying the cheap end of the cheap end...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Is there something wrong with x" or the related "are you making changes on y".

If you're having a problem just come out and say what you're experiencing. Let's not piss time away on a guessing game.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I... but... wh....

:negative:

I don't even work there and I feel like bursting into tears.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks Ants posted:

"Is there something wrong with x" or the related "are you making changes on y".

If you're having a problem just come out and say what you're experiencing. Let's not piss time away on a guessing game.

I get at least one "is the server down?" call a day.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

larchesdanrew posted:

So I'm feeling a goon road trip down to your place of business so that we can collectively smack the poo poo out of your boss.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

KoRMaK posted:

If apple wants to keep their poo poo so closed source then yes and some user wants to use their product then yes, I sure as gently caress am following the Apple bureaucracy and sending it away to get fixed by them

I got bitched at by a former client with a mostly Mac shop who tried upgrading to Mavericks without checking disk space or compatibility. Didn't tell us either then expected us to reverse engineer his fuckup. He got sent to Apple who promptly decided to wipe and reload without backing up first (client never set up backups on the Mac in question either :downs: ). Somehow it became our fault until I kindly pointed out his stupidity. Wasn't the first incident like that and we cut ties with them last year, unsurprisingly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Order a bunch of epoxy and seal your chief engineer into a closet with all the NASs, Cask of Amontillado-style.

"For the love of High Availability, Montresor!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dick Trauma posted:

"For the love of High Availability, Montresor!"

Make sure to make the wall two deep for redundancy. They're personal NASes, the first layer will fall eventually, it's just a matter of when.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

There is no :negative: big enough. "Hard drives got too full?" What the everloving gently caress is that all about?

This post literally made me mad through the internet at a supervisor I will never meet.

edit: Although with this many units, larchesdanrew can now work on his machine code and develop NAS-RAID. Stripe with parity across three single-drive NAS units! RAID-6 with two hot spares across 6 NAS units! It's like RAID across thumb-drives but with NAS over the network. DFS for NAS! More exclamation points!

edit: edit: for content.

In about thirty seconds a post will appear saying:

quote:

Jesus christ. A user just messaged me because his desk phone wasn't working. I told him to reboot it by unplugging and repluggin in the phone and he was like, "Oh yeah." Then, when he rebooted it, he asked me how long it took for the phone to come back up because it was taking a long time to grab the config, and I asked him if he'd plugged it back into the proper port. "Oh, ooopsie!" He said. It's all working now.

It's me. I am the dumb user. Holy crap I've gotten rusty with IP phones. Reboot it? Duh.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 2, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

A package came in.

Put all 6 in a pillowcase and BEAT THE EVERLOVING poo poo OUT OF HIM WITH IT

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: Never mind.

Also, larches, lock him in his office.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 2, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

Says the man* whining about the word police.

:rolleyes:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A coworker revealed to me that the GM is creating a new department dedicated to graphic design. This means his line about not being able to restructure departments is bullshit. I'm going to him with my plan to shift us partially to the cloud, and then demanding my own department or I'm out. rear end in a top hat's got one more chance. I'll go back to washing cars before I put another NAS into this shithole network.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Finally got the drat mac to boot to something. Had a OS X Snow Leopard CD lying around. Discovered the Macbook was from 2008, which explains Internet Recovery not working. :downs:

User permissions across the board are screwed. I have no earthly idea what could cause such a thing?

Why are you spending any time trying to fix a 7 year old Mac laptop.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Because I fix computers for a living. Ask me about the time I cracked open a 2006 iMac to install a new logic board, or the time I upgraded a 2004 desktop with extra RAM and installed Windows 7 for an old lady.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Inspector_666 posted:

Because some people just like to watch their heart burn.

See what I did there?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Because I fix computers for a living. Ask me about the time I cracked open a 2006 iMac to install a new logic board, or the time I upgraded a 2004 desktop with extra RAM and installed Windows 7 for an old lady.

Suddenly your bizarre behavior makes some sense and why my solution offended you in an odd way. I am guessing if you advised your customer to take this mac to the mac store to be fixed by them you would make less money?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We support a few different bits of software for external clients. Helpdesk, ITSM, security stuff.

Sales has been dealing with a partner/vendor on behalf of a client, and it's p. obvious that Sales has no idea how licensing works for this product. That's fair, because this is a fairly new-to-us product and we're not 100% on the licensing aspect. We email our technical contact at the vendor for the deets.

Our question gets bumped up the line a bit to their sales manager, who answers. We report our answers back and that should be the end of it.

However their sales manager tells us that there's a huge underlying issue with this client, who's using standalone instead of enterprise licensing.

In fact, his director and our CFO, he tells us, were supposed to hammer out an agreement on how to handle this exact situation. They have yet to do so, so he can give us general guidance on the licensing and answer our technical questions, but the overall question that drove this whole thing is going to have to wait until the bosses talk.

5 minutes after reporting our conversation back to Sales, I get a call from my CFO. "This doesn't make sense," she says. "Why can't our client just use the same standalone license for all of their 50 new installs?"

"According to the licensing info we got from the vendor, that's not the way this works," I tell her. "It's like buying individual copies of Office. You get a different license key for each copy you buy. If you want a volume licensing key, the client needs to move to an Enterprise licensing model."

Well apparently we talked to the wrong person at the vendor. Because "that's not the way things work in my (the CFO's) head."

So now our CFO is calling the vendor herself to try and get the answer she wants/expects out of them.

I just know I'm gonna get chewed out for this.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sickening posted:

Suddenly your bizarre behavior makes some sense and why my solution offended you in an odd way. I am guessing if you advised your customer to take this mac to the mac store to be fixed by them you would make less money?

Yes. Also the problem started happening while I was in the middle of doing a data transfer from an old mac to this mac, so I felt like it was my fault which it might have been. It's working now, I finally got disk utility to run and after repairing the permissions I can finish up the job.

Sorry for snapping at you.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

JohnnyCanuck posted:

"Why can't our client just use the same standalone license for all of their 50 new installs?"

Because "that's not the way things work in my (the CFO's) head."

So now our CFO is calling the vendor herself to try and get the answer she wants/expects out of them.

:allears: :munch:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Computer Janitor, the noblest profession.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Computer Janitor, the noblest profession.

I'm not sure how anyone else in this thread gets to pretend they're above the "computer janitor" moniker in the first place.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

JohnnyCanuck posted:

5 minutes after reporting our conversation back to Sales, I get a call from my CFO. "This doesn't make sense," she says. "Why can't our client just use the same standalone license for all of their 50 new installs?"

I can't help but imagine your corporate finances are a treasure trove of ticking accounting-bombs like this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

It's me. I am the dumb user. Holy crap I've gotten rusty with IP phones. Reboot it? Duh.

I can set up voice VLANs to automatically dump phones onto the correct isolated subnet, provision DHCP options to point them at the correct servers, and tag the traffic as high priority to maintain voice quality. Can I plug a sidecar into the correct loving port on the back of the units and remember to flick the switch that powers them up? Can I gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I'm not sure how anyone else in this thread gets to pretend they're above the "computer janitor" moniker in the first place.

All these spilled bytes aren't going to sweep themselves back into the bit bucket. :smith:

• Locked thread