Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

What's wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

What's wrong with it?

hosed up legs and feet

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Apparently that's canon though, like radagast had hosed up legs and feet or something. TBH I don't even remember him from when I read lord of the rings but it's been a long time.

Did you know hedgehogs are also called urchins? That's why sea urchins are called that, because they look a little like a hedgehog. Also why children are called urchins, becuase they come running out of hedgerows along b roads and get squished by cars.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Not something I can find mentioned on any site nor a feature I can obviously see on other figures.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

hosed up legs and feet

Oh, I thought it was something about paintjob.

LOTR minis have their misses, like fat elves.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

LOTR minis have their misses, like fat elves.
What, like ALL elves have to be skinny and pale and waifish? That's some pretty racist poo poo right there. ;)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

I can die happy.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ilor posted:

What, like ALL elves have to be skinny and pale and waifish? That's some pretty racist poo poo right there. ;)

He actually likes the Mantic elves if I remember, so his elf opinions should be taken with container ships full of salt.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

El Estrago Bonito posted:

He actually likes the Mantic elves if I remember, so his elf opinions should be taken with container ships full of salt.

Elf Thinspiration.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I had these guys in mind. That swordsman on the right if definitely eating more than lambas bread.

I don't remember stating that I like mantic elves, but stranger things haven been said by me.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

spectralent posted:

hosed up legs and feet

It's this weird trick! If you stare at the image long enough, you can see a wizard carrying the cute hedgehog.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's this weird trick! If you stare at the image long enough, you can see a wizard carrying the cute hedgehog.

I was the reverse. I was more like

:): This looks like a cool :smugwizard: and his hedgehog friend, what's so weird about
:gonk:: ohchrist what's wrong with his foot

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

I had these guys in mind. That swordsman on the right if definitely eating more than lambas bread.

I don't remember stating that I like mantic elves, but stranger things haven been said by me.

They look like people doing kendo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leperflesh posted:

Apparently that's canon though, like radagast had hosed up legs and feet or something. TBH I don't even remember him from when I read lord of the rings but it's been a long time.

He's like on like 5 pages. So minor that Peter Jackson replaced him with a moth in the movie.

Then decided to give him a lot of time I'm the first Hobbit movie for reasons. I can't slam for the other two Hobbit movies because I had no desire to see them.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Iron Crowned posted:

He's like on like 5 pages. So minor that Peter Jackson replaced him with a moth in the movie.

Then decided to give him a lot of time I'm the first Hobbit movie for reasons. I can't slam for the other two Hobbit movies because I had no desire to see them.

the third one was literally a 2.5 hour warhammer fantasy battle

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

the third one was literally a 2.5 hour Warhammer Age of Sigmar battle

Does it end up a boring mass in the middle where nothing interesting happens ?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Iron Crowned posted:

The "reason" was because they wanted another wizard, mostly for merchandise, but Tolkien didn't really give them many to work with.

the third one was literally a 2.5 hour warhammer fantasy battle

I remember thinking the first hobbit movie was so good and so promising compared to LOTR, but drat, 3 was really bad and shouldn't have been done.

I highly recommend the "there and back again" fan edit. It cuts out all the bullshit that wasn't in the book and gets it down at a single very long movie instead of 3 unnecessary films to make money.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember thinking the first hobbit movie was so good and so promising...
I remember thinking, "OK, we have a goofy, kid-friendly, comic relief wizard riding a sleigh drawn by bunnies, and not five minutes later we're decapitating orcs; who the gently caress is the target audience for this movie?"

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
People who like wizards and bunnies and killing monsters and big battles with eagles and dragons.

I loving loved the Hobbit, you people are all crazy.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember thinking the first hobbit movie was so good and so promising compared to LOTR, but drat, 3 was really bad and shouldn't have been done.

iirc jackson didn't even want to do a third one but the execs got their way

the third hobbit movie is pretty much everything wrong with hollywood all encapsulated into one film

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

also double gently caress you to jackson because iirc the new zealand extras went on strike since they were skimming costs which is why they went from the fantastic "actual people in makeup as orcs" in the first movie to "gigantic retard baby cgi orcs" in the second and third ones.

i saw bits and pieces of the third one recently and even now, 7.5 months after the movie was released, all of the cgi looks dated and lovely

edit: i did find out recently that billy connolly has parkinson's which is why they had that uncanny valley dwarf king guy instead of an actual guy :smith:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I thought it was weird because the film version was more cartoonish than the animated one.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

edit: i did find out recently that billy connolly has parkinson's which is why they had that uncanny valley dwarf king guy instead of an actual guy :smith:

:saddowns:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Renfield posted:

Does it end up a boring mass in the middle where nothing interesting happens ?

Yes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I saw the barrel scene and the gold scene in 2 and refused to watch 3

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
The Hobbit movies were okay, but not particularly amazing. The one thing I really hated was the decision to keep Smaug alive at the end of the second movie only to kill him in the first 5-10 minutes of the third... Why the hell did you not just wrap that up in the second? It would have been a much better ending of movie 2...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pash posted:

The Hobbit movies were okay, but not particularly amazing. The one thing I really hated was the decision to keep Smaug alive at the end of the second movie only to kill him in the first 5-10 minutes of the third... Why the hell did you not just wrap that up in the second? It would have been a much better ending of movie 2...

Then why would you come for Movie 3?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Pash posted:

Probably because they knew that not having Smaug in the third film would seriously hurt hype. It was very bait and switch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pash posted:

Yeah that was a huge failing. As soon as Smaug died I was like "really? Already?"

Should have been two films instead. Cut out all the pointless stuff with Evangeline Lilly and just get right to smaug and the battle of the five armies at the end of 2.

Also breaking it into 3 movies meant the transition from movie 1 Thorin (I don't trust you, Bilbo! You're no warrior!) to movie 2 Thorn (Bilbo, you saved us all, you wondeful hobbit. You're truly my friend) to movie 3 Thorin (I AM THE KING OF THE MOUNTAIN, gently caress you Bilbo!) was really jarring. They made him look like a real jackass.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Attestant posted:

Probably because they knew that not having Smaug in the third film would seriously hurt hype. It was very bait and switch.

I think a pretty large chunk of the audience saw it coming though. It was a mistake as the second film didn't so much end as stop short only to be unpaused a year later.

The whole thing should have been much more tightly edited and done in two parts as originally planned. There are so many over long action sequences in the trilogy that would have been more enjoyable had they been more to the point.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I don't remember where, but I heard someone say that once the third movie is out on video, that someone will be able to take the three movies and edit them down in to one 3-4 hour movie that is actually good.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Also breaking it into 3 movies meant the transition from movie 1 Thorin (I don't trust you, Bilbo! You're no warrior!) to movie 2 Thorn (Bilbo, you saved us all, you wondeful hobbit. You're truly my friend) to movie 3 Thorin (I AM THE KING OF THE MOUNTAIN, gently caress you Bilbo!) was really jarring. They made him look like a real jackass.

Bipolar Dwarf. Sorted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Master Twig posted:

I don't remember where, but I heard someone say that once the third movie is out on video, that someone will be able to take the three movies and edit them down in to one 3-4 hour movie that is actually good.

Its already been done, and I talked about it in this very thread. Its called the "there and back again" cut, and its really good.

It does other cool things with editing too. Rather than opening Hobbit 1 with Smaug attacking Laketown (which chronologically makes sense but not thematically) the movie opens on the shire (just like the book does) and then fills in the story of laketown later when the Dwarves are singing about it. Other changes like that.

https://ahobbitsholiday.wordpress.com/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What is all this talk about multiple Hobbit movies?

There was one movie. It just happened to be long, and I had to watch it over 3 years (which is not the case on BluRay).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

pics from my junior prom

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

when I first looked at this I thought she was skidding toward him, and she was totally gonna trip him up and take his gun

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Moola posted:

when I first looked at this I thought she was skidding toward him, and she was totally gonna trip him up and take his gun

Vampira, remember the basics of CQC

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Down and B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Oh god. Not a miniature in and of itself, but still something horrible and paint-related. Two guys sitting in the store were literally sucking the paint off their brushes to clean them.

This is just your friendly reminder that non-toxic literally only means nothing in it has specifically been tested and found to be harmful. Plenty of dodgy chemicals in hobby paint.