Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

ayn rand hand job posted:

The Japanese police have arrested the owner of Mt. Gox and are going to try him.

Oh I know, it was a manner of speaking. It's going to be fun (except for him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Dawncloack posted:

Anything new going on??

At a quick google: Fifa is having serious trouble recruiting new sponsors, and the remaining big money is demanding assurances. There will be a summit in August, and the way it happened comes across to me as the sponsors really yanking Fifa's chain.http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33649448 , http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/11760982/Fifa-admits-it-cannot-attract-new-sponsors-until-Sepp-Blatter-leaves.html

Probably related, the various contenders for Blatter's throne started publicly jockeying for position last week: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33700638 , http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33714580

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 3, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dawncloack posted:

Anything new going on??

Ever since the bitcoin blockchain of tears dried up I need new schadentertainement.

Off topic for FIFA, but I wouldn't speak so soon. As others have pointed out, Karpeles got arrested this morning.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

eviltastic posted:

At a quick google: Fifa is having serious trouble recruiting new sponsors, and the remaining big money is demanding assurances. There will be a summit in August, and the way it happened comes across to me as the sponsors really yanking Fifa's chain.http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33649448 , http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/11760982/Fifa-admits-it-cannot-attract-new-sponsors-until-Sepp-Blatter-leaves.html

Probably related, the various contenders for Blatter's throne started publicly jockeying for position last week: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33700638 , http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33714580

Would the current alternatives be any better than the status quo? There really ought to be a massive reorganization that goes way beyond just the huge swath of org leadership that got indicted.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They could disolve Fifa as an entity and start it again from the ground up but all of the same problems would appear, and I would wager the majority of the people in control of governing bodies would be back in the same job with just a different combination of letters at the top of the paper.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

serious gaylord posted:

They could disolve Fifa as an entity and start it again from the ground up but all of the same problems would appear, and I would wager the majority of the people in control of governing bodies would be back in the same job with just a different combination of letters at the top of the paper.

You might be able to get away with a 20-year moratorium on FIFA leadership accepting any role from new-FIFA.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least right now, any rule change in football must be approved by a special body in which FIFA has 4 votes, and the representatives of the 4 Home Nations (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) have one vote each. So the Brits can block anything dumb the rest of FIFA can dream up. I don't know how that would work if FIFA were dissolved.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Long time, no news. http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/5824046-u-s-swiss-prosecutors-to-give-update-on-fifa-corruption-cases-in-zurich/

The Associated Press posted:

U.S., Swiss prosecutors to give update on FIFA corruption cases in Zurich

By Graham Dunbar
GENEVA — Federal prosecutors leading investigations into corruption in international football are to hold a joint news conference in FIFA's home city.

On Sept. 14 in Zurich, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch and her counterpart from Switzerland, Michael Lauber, will give updates on their cases, Lauber's office said Tuesday.

The news conference will explain the "status of the two criminal proceedings," Swiss officials said in a statement

Lynch is scheduled to visit Zurich for an annual conference of federal prosecutors which is being hosted this year by Lauber's department.

Her American case alleges widespread bribery, fraud, money laundering and racketeering in the award of hosting and broadcasting rights for the World Cup and other international tournaments.

FIFA was rocked on May 27 when Swiss federal police arrested seven officials, including FIFA vice-presidents from the CONCACAF and CONMEBOL regions, in a dawn raid at a luxury hotel in Zurich at the request of American authorities.

They were among 14 football and marketing officials named in a U.S. indictment unsealed that day. Four more men — including Chuck Blazer, the most senior American in world football for 16 years until 2013 — had their guilty pleas unsealed.

The Swiss case focuses on possible money laundering during the bidding contests for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, won by Russia and Qatar, respectively.

FIFA headquarters were raided on May 27 and massive amounts of data later seized for the Swiss case, which is expected to follow leads to other areas of FIFA finance and business implicating senior football officials.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter is not implicated in either case though is a potential target in both, Lauber and American officials have previously confirmed.

Blatter is set to leave office next February after almost 18 years. He announced his resignation plans on June 2, under pressure from the corruption cases.

Lynch and Lauber will also share a stage earlier on Sept. 14, at the opening session of the four-day International Association of Prosecutors event.

Lauber will host a session with Lynch and prosecutors from Britain, France and Russia titled "International Cooperation (white collar crime, money laundering and corruption)."

Their news conference will take place at the same hotel which hosted CONCACAF and CONMEBOL delegates in May during the weeklong FIFA congress which elected Blatter two days after the raids.

The Associated Press

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

3 months to crack, I'm actually shocked it took that long.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ashley Madison posted:

Long time, no news. http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/5824046-u-s-swiss-prosecutors-to-give-update-on-fifa-corruption-cases-in-zurich/

FIFA President Sepp Blatter is not implicated in either case though is a potential target in both, Lauber and American officials have previously confirmed.

Dude is a surprisingly slippery eel to catch.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Mister Macys posted:

Dude is a surprisingly slippery eel to catch.

Unfortunately, not everyone's buying condos for their dogs and dodging taxes on the income that went to fund it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 5, 2015

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Switzerland's attorney general announced that they opened criminal proceedings against Sepp Blatter this morning. Then they hauled Blatter and FIFA VP Michel Platini away for interrogation.

This has been the best week.

Edit: Source: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/724c202a72c24794bb292b65af36e892/swiss-statement-criminal-investigation-sepp-blatter

Ceiling fan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 25, 2015

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Sepp and Michael were then politely sodomized with the full dick of the law and the world was a better place, the end.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Criminal mismanagement and/or misappropriation :unsmigghh:

On the other hand, this could have all been avoided by explicitly declaring that FIFA's primary purpose is making rich old guys richer as they get older, with the help of a futbol tournament organising public relations arm :v:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
DCFADP and Sepp Blatter gets indicted. Best week ever?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Also, Volkswagen is either dead or crippled.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Darth Walrus posted:

At this rate the Pope needs to just be relocated to DC.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That or he needs to do a sequel trip to the West Coast. Perhaps LA, San Fran, and Seattle.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Don't forget Boehner resigning.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Darth Walrus posted:

Don't be ridiculous, it's neither of these things.

I really hope they get Platini as well, which seems likely since he was also questioned interviewed.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

RandomPauI posted:

That or he needs to do a sequel trip to the West Coast. Perhaps LA, San Fran, and Seattle.

Pope needs to visit SF during pride week... and forgive / bless everyone as they go by making conservatives heads explode.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Alkydere posted:

Don't forget Boehner resigning.

"I look out for the institution.*"

*- Wage slavery

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Ceiling fan posted:

Switzerland's attorney general announced that they opened criminal proceedings against Sepp Blatter this morning. Then they hauled Blatter and FIFA VP Michel Platini away for interrogation.

This has been the best week.

Edit: Source: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/724c202a72c24794bb292b65af36e892/swiss-statement-criminal-investigation-sepp-blatter

:flashfap:

Too bad we got to wait until December to see if Warner is gonna get extradited.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Walker dipped out of the race this week too, didn't he?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

He did. The best week.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Warner's banned for life.

e: Hope the Torygraph is an OK source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fifa/11898608/Fifa-scandal-Jack-Warner-to-be-banned-for-life.html

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Expecting a youtube statement about the clear conspiracy wherein America wants to get back at superior futbol nations.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
http://tass.ru/en/sport/824270

lol

Russian minister of sport afraid to leave the country and go to Switzerland. I'm guessing the wont even go near North-America.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blowfish posted:

Expecting a youtube statement about the clear conspiracy wherein America wants to get back at superior futbol nations.

More like a video of him singing "took a little bribe, got banned for life"

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Budweiser and Visa demand Blatter to step down. Blatter through his lawyer: "I respectfully disagree". Those companies have give over 1,6 billion to FIFA between 2011 and 2014.
Source: Financial Times

:stare:

Blatter is SO hosed.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Don't flatter the Blatter.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

OhYeah posted:

McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Budweiser and Visa demand Blatter to step down. Blatter through his lawyer: "I respectfully disagree". Those companies have give over 1,6 billion to FIFA between 2011 and 2014.

Blatter is SO hosed.

Hopefully their blessing accelerates criminal charges pressed against him.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Hopefully their blessing accelerates criminal charges pressed against him.
I really, really wish it didn't work this way, but you're probably right.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
This criminal prosecution has been sponsored by...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

This criminal prosecution has been sponsored by...

"I'm here at the Staples(tm) Supreme Court justiceplex..."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

OhYeah posted:

Blatter is SO hosed.

Yeah, saw a piece in the WSJ this morning. Blatter's humming about how he's invincible and no one can touch him even though he's already in a Swiss cell and there's a RICO case aimed at him.

I wonder if a case can be made to remove him for medical reasons because the man is comically delusional.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I thought he resigned. Did he take it back?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I thought he resigned. Did he take it back?

He planned on staying until December or early 2016 when another set of comical elections could be run.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

OhYeah posted:

Blatter is SO hosed.

It's easy to act this way when you've never been held accountable for anything, ever.

Sayeth Achewood: I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, saw a piece in the WSJ this morning. Blatter's humming about how he's invincible and no one can touch him even though he's already in a Swiss cell and there's a RICO case aimed at him.

I wonder if a case can be made to remove him for medical reasons because the man is comically delusional.

Blatter is in prison right now? I know he had criminal charges brought against him finally, but I can't find anything about them actually holding him in a jail.

• Locked thread