Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

rockcity posted:

That would almost certainly do it. If it's 208 in the grounds it's probably hitting them a couple degrees hotter that that so you're running probably at least 5 degrees too hot. That sucks, Bonavita makes good stuff, hopefully they take care of you.

I have a pretty rock solid case. My brewer is in great shape, I have my receipt from Amazon and I included the picture I posted here. I'll let you guys know how the warranty experience goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I brewed some grounds at 212 last week and let me tell you that whole pot was total garbage :v: Learning how much temperature matters.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I started brewing my coffee at 195 F and it's made a world of difference to me.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

From what I've read about the Bonavitas they don't heat the water to a certain temperature, they raise the temperature of the water a certain amount. In other words, if you put cold water in the reservoir you're going to get a cooler brew temp then if you put room temp or warm water in. Not sure if this is true for all models but it should be pretty easy to test, and it may both explain and provide an easy fix for too-high brew temps. I might test mine tonight if I'm not sick to gently caress of looking at coffee machines by then.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

-Raygun T-Shirt

bizwank posted:

From what I've read about the Bonavitas they don't heat the water to a certain temperature, they raise the temperature of the water a certain amount. In other words, if you put cold water in the reservoir you're going to get a cooler brew temp then if you put room temp or warm water in. Not sure if this is true for all models but it should be pretty easy to test, and it may both explain and provide an easy fix for too-high brew temps. I might test mine tonight if I'm not sick to gently caress of looking at coffee machines by then.

Yes, I heard this too.

That picture I posted of my brewing basket hitting 208 degrees? That was brewed with ice cold water that had been sitting in my refrigerator for 9 hours.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Just opened mine up and there's nary a thermostat in sight, it's essentially a percolator with a liquid-activated switch to shut the heating element off as soon as the reservoir is depleted. So, I would assume the heating element and chamber have been designed to hit and maintain a certain temperature +/- a few degrees but there's nothing else in there to control the brew temp. Depending on what the manufacturing tolerances are, I wouldn't be surprised if every unit hits a slightly different average brew temp. I'll temp mine after it's back together and descaled (some nice chunks in there).

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

Bronze posted:

Okay.. got my hands on an 02. Turns out my friend had one.. go figure.

Used the same brewing ratios as I have with my 185 with the only change being a smaller grind size. The coffee came out minimally bitter and "bright" acidic notes were pleasantly less. Could be that I should have been using a smaller grind in my kalita all along.. I guess I could try that tomorrow.

Edit: Tried the same grind size with my 155 kalita. Acidic flavor was strong from the first sip. I don't remember it being this way with the 02. It was more of a less overwhelming bright aftertaste.

Tried the 02 again with the same ratios and it does seem like the bright flavors are more in balance. There isn't a sharp harshness like with the kalita. And the acidic flavors balance out as I drink down the cup. Or this all could be BS. :shrug:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok here is something I've noticed and I'm not sure it matters but here goes: I've been buying two different brands of Sumatran lately. Similar roast profile (fairly dark but not burnt). I use the same medium grind setting on both, and the same amount by weight when I make the pot. But when the brewer clicks off, with one brand the grounds have drained and I can see the pattern from the showerhead in them, but with the other there will be ½" or so of water/coffee on top of the grounds that take a another minute or more to drain. The resulting coffee is similar enough that I can't say it's better or worse than the other kind (haven't done a side by side), but I'm wondering why this would be.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I bought one of them 34oz pour-over Bodex's for $15. Seems alright.

I might just use the metal filter that it came with, because I believe that the metal filters let more oil through than paper, and I'm a press guy at heart.

Why do the Chemex filters look like folded pieces of construction paper? Why aren't they just #4 cones? What is achieved by that design?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So they can charge people to buy their filters instead of buying generic standardized filters

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Chemex filters are also significantly thicker than standard, which is the real difference maker.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I'm sure I make no mistake in thinking cold brewing is not a popular method around here, but if there is anyone that does, do you have a particular bean type that performs particularly well?

I guess I'm wondering would I get those pronounced fruit flavors, like blueberry, if I used something like an Ethiopian Sidamo Chelfit?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Who Dat posted:

I'm sure I make no mistake in thinking cold brewing is not a popular method around here, but if there is anyone that does, do you have a particular bean type that performs particularly well?

I guess I'm wondering would I get those pronounced fruit flavors, like blueberry, if I used something like an Ethiopian Sidamo Chelfit?

There are a hell of a lot of people in this thread that cold brew, and we have had pages of discussions about it.

Fruity flavors come through in cold brew, but come through better in the Japanese-style iced coffee (in my opinion). I've done write-ups for both that a lot of people have had good success with, though of course your mileage may vary.

Cold brew method and Japanese iced coffee method. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

becoming posted:

There are a hell of a lot of people in this thread that cold brew, and we have had pages of discussions about it.

Fruity flavors come through in cold brew, but come through better in the Japanese-style iced coffee (in my opinion). I've done write-ups for both that a lot of people have had good success with, though of course your mileage may vary.

Cold brew method and Japanese iced coffee method. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Awesome, thank you!

I guess it was a poor assumption. Unless I missed something, it wasn't in the OP at all, and I don't participate nearly enough in this thread as it is.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
It would be really helpful if a couple of links like that were added to the OP.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Man, my electric kettle I bought is super poo poo. Last time I brewed I set it to 212 and that burned the hell out of my grounds, so tonight I set it at 190 and that...still burned the hell out of my grounds. I don't think those are accurate readings at all.

I guess this is what I get for buying a $20 Oyster kettle. Time to start looking for better solutions.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Anybody had any experience with one of these:

https://www.thelittleguy.info/

They ain't cheap, but seem to make real espresso on a stove top.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Nien posted:

Anybody had any experience with one of these:

https://www.thelittleguy.info/

They ain't cheap, but seem to make real espresso on a stove top.

You can definitely buy a decent espresso machine at that price point which won't require an external heat source and has a pump and manual control over the length of the extraction rather than relying on steam pressure(?)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah for 700 bucks I would go with a standard electric semi auto.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

You can definitely buy a decent espresso machine at that price point which won't require an external heat source and has a pump and manual control over the length of the extraction rather than relying on steam pressure(?)

Yeah, for that amount of money you're in the Silvia, LeLit and Crossland price range, all of which I would take over that in a heartbeat. It certainly is a looker though.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

becoming posted:

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I bought a OXO Cold Brew system the other day actually, just drained and chilled my initial brew. Used some Rota Maya beans I got from Costco. They smelled fresh, so whatever :shrug: I'm not going to spend too much just trying to get the basics down.

It tastes pretty good. Not, say, Chameleon Cold Brew good, but good. I used exactly 10oz beans, 5 cups water. Diluted concentrate 2oz/6oz water over ice, no sugar or cream. I ground as course as I could...ended up with roughly 3 1/2 cups of concentrate.

Overall success I guess. About to buy some Ethiopia Harrar to try from my local roastery as its about to be out of season. Any other coffees you would suggest I try? Also, this might go against coffee 101, but does this stuff freeze well?

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 27, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Who Dat posted:

I bought a OXO Cold Brew system the other day actually, just drained and chilled my initial brew. Used some Rota Maya beans I got from Costco. They smelled fresh, so whatever :shrug: I'm not going to spend too much just trying to get the basics down.

It tastes pretty good. Not, say, Chameleon Cold Brew good, but good. I used exactly 10g beans, 5 cups water. Diluted concentrate 2oz/6oz water over ice, no sugar or cream. I ground as course as I could...ended up with roughly 3 1/2 cups of concentrate.

Overall success I guess. About to buy some Ethiopia Harrar to try from my local roastery as its about to be out of season. Any other coffees you would suggest I try? Also, this might go against coffee 101, but does this stuff freeze well?

10g of beans? Did you mean 10oz?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

rockcity posted:

10g of beans? Did you mean 10oz?

Yes, haha. :lol: Sorry, measured it out in grams, 284g I think.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Since I'm having electric kettle problems for my pourover, can anyone speak a little bit about what they do to make a stovetop model work? I'm seeing the Fino pourover is really highly rated, but I'm curious what people do to get the temperature dialed in to their liking.

I'm also looking at gooseneck digital Bonvita which I'm sure has been discussed in the last page but I'd rather spend 80 dollars on a better grinder right now. I was having success just boiling water on my stove and guessing but now this electric kettle burned coffee disaster has me gunshy. Help me, coffee thread~

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Boil water in a conventional electric kettle, pour it into the gooseneck and use a thermometer to check the temperature.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If you really don't want to buy the bonavtia, boil water in the stove top. When it reaches a boil turn it off, put a thermometer in it and time how long it takes to get to your desired temp. After that just start your timer after you turn it off and pour at the noted time.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah that's what I did (I already had a thermometer) and since I was usually using roughly the same volume in roughly the same room temp room the temperature drop was usually consistent.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

-Raygun T-Shirt

rockcity posted:

That would almost certainly do it. If it's 208 in the grounds it's probably hitting them a couple degrees hotter that that so you're running probably at least 5 degrees too hot. That sucks, Bonavita makes good stuff, hopefully they take care of you.

Bonavita got back to me, and I'm very pleased by the response. Here's what they had to say:

Bonavita Customer Service posted:

Thank you for completing the Bonavita warranty form. Your claim has been processed and you will be receiving a replacement brewer. Your replacement will be shipped from Espresso Supply and tracking information will be emailed to you once it ships.

To help maintain your new brewer is the best working condition possible, we recommend descaling using Full Circle or Dezcal at least once every 100 uses. In areas with hard water, more frequent descaling may be needed. If more steam than usual is present, please descale immediately.

Please dispose of your defective brewer, keeping your carafe, lid and filter basket.

BigBadBrewsta fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 27, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BigBadBrewsta posted:

Bonavita got back to me, and I'm very pleased by the response. Here's what they had to say:

Wow, that's awesome. A spare carafe is never a bad thing.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Well, 10oz of fresh roasted and ground Ethiopia Harrar in the cold brew toddy. Here goes nothing. :ohdear:

Fake edit: on the plus side my kitchen smells like berry fruit. I loving love dry process coffee.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I have always ordered my green stuff from Sweet Maria's but I live on the other side of the country. Anyone here using another source in the mid-atlantic/east-coast that they would recommend/have used? TIA.

I visited a friend this weekend that I initially turned on to roasting. He got a bemohr and now I want one even more.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ThirstyBuck posted:

I have always ordered my green stuff from Sweet Maria's but I live on the other side of the country. Anyone here using another source in the mid-atlantic/east-coast that they would recommend/have used? TIA.

I visited a friend this weekend that I initially turned on to roasting. He got a bemohr and now I want one even more.
It's not east coast, but I use Burman for most of my green needs. They're in Madison WI.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I've used Coffee Bean Corral a few times with good results each time. I think they're in Mississippi.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

FYI you can't put green beans in the grinder of your superautomatic machine. Or chocolate chips.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can I assume you're questioning your decision to become a parent?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

No, I'm just constantly amazed at the creative ways people break their machines.

Though I am apparently raising a tea-drinker. She'll come around soon if she knows what's good for her.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
What's the word on the best automatic drip machines these days? Last time I checked the Technivorm was pretty much the only thing that pour-over snobs liked, and I'm very much a pour over snob. Has this changed, and are there any better or cheaper quality options now?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AriTheDog posted:

What's the word on the best automatic drip machines these days? Last time I checked the Technivorm was pretty much the only thing that pour-over snobs liked, and I'm very much a pour over snob. Has this changed, and are there any better or cheaper quality options now?

The other coffee snob approved auto
is the Bonavita 1900ts. It doesn't look as sci fi as the Mocha Master, but it costs $100 less.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I bought a Bonavita 1900TS for the office. Now other people grind and make coffee for me in the morning. It's pretty rad.

The coffee is not perfect, and other people in this thread have posted about temperature issues, but it works and I got it for like $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Loving my hario and I'm getting better at my pour over technique with it. Went ahead and snagged an Baratza Encore off Amazon thanks to some giftcards and cashback. Excited to actually get my grinds right.

I'm assuming the Baratza is pretty easy to figure out how to do my "medium coarse" I want for my pourover?

Anyone have any recommendations for Bay Area California beans that aren't Blue Bottle? I really love Blue Bottle. I'm in the East Bay for reference, my Whole Foods has a lot of SF and Oakland coffees but I'd love to branch out.