Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Party Hard, it turns out, is garbage. Several of the underlying mechanisms aren't explained and/or are implemented differently with no explanation between levels- there's also no real difficulty curve, since little thought went into much of the level design. The aesthetic is appealing while the implementation is lousy with no real thought given to the player's experie-man, this sounds familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Pretty good avatar/post combo

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

I ignored everything about Hotline Miami 2 when it was released to avoid spoilers and am just now playing it on PS4. I can't remember if it was an issue with the first game, but needing to play zoomed out almost all the time and still running into bullshit kills from off the screen is really putting a damper on my enjoyment :(. Also how in the hell has there not been a patch to fix enemies becoming invincible while in doorways?

if you use the "look" function, you should be able to see enemies before you enter their vision range. It's really tight, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Discendo Vox posted:

Party Hard, it turns out, is garbage. Several of the underlying mechanisms aren't explained and/or are implemented differently with no explanation between levels- there's also no real difficulty curve, since little thought went into much of the level design. The aesthetic is appealing while the implementation is lousy with no real thought given to the player's experie-man, this sounds familiar.

I keep almost returning it through Steam, and then I'm reminded that I bought it through the Humble Store.

At least I gave a buck to charity, that's something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
A lot of levels are too big for looking to fully help.

Discendo Vox posted:

the player's experie-man, this sounds familiar.

Are you implying HLM2's like that, or that their other game was like that?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anatharon posted:

HLM2. Though I recall No Time to Explain was also in the same "interesting gamejam idea, poor implementation with no respect for player's lived experience" review category.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why did I just think of a mod that turns the Fans and the Boss into Seinfeld characters? I mean, think of it. Elaine as Corey, the Maestro as Tony, Jerry and Kramer as Ash and Alex, Newman as Mark, and the Boss is replaced by Costanza himself.

"GEORGE IS GETTING UPSET!" would be the new GOTTA GET A GRIP!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Anatharon posted:

Hey do you remember the time that Sykic "got good" and A+'d all levels on hard and said the game was still a terrible experience and provided multiple images and gifs as to why this was the case and everyone ignored him because

I remember that time.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Coolguye posted:

Hey do you remember the time that Sykic "got good" and A+'d all levels on hard and said the game was still a terrible experience and provided multiple images and gifs as to why this was the case and everyone ignored him because

I remember that time.

You remember that time that Battletoads required you to "get good" for it's stages starting with level two? The game was a buggy mess that felt incomplete with no concept of level balance or anything or introducing new mechanics with no explanation? A level that you couldn't even beat with two players in the original US version because for some hosed reason the controls for player 2 get locked on that stage forcing constant game overs until player 2 just quits and then comes back in the next level ONLY if they still have continues left over? How after all of the bullshit you went through the final boss was lackluster as gently caress and the ending had no payoff? And the story sucked anyway? The only thing people all agree on was the music was amazing in that game and that it constantly ends up being on people's best video games of all time lists. Sure, a lot of people hate the game, but it had an impact. Sometimes you have an experience that is just so much fun despite all of it's obvious flaws that you just say "gently caress it, the game is great." If the different approach to level design, the buggy AI, and storyline in HLM2 is really driving you away that much you obviously are missing what makes the game good. I'm not going to sit here and white knight for the game; that's not the point of this post. I like the game, I think it's awesome, but mainly my concern is that you and several others are constantly saying "This game is stupid and terrible and if you don't like it you are wrong." Look if you don't like the game that's fine. It's okay to not like a game. I don't think I'm alone in saying I think the game is amazing. Stop insulting people who praise this game. Go play something else. :smith:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

Why did I just think of a mod that turns the Fans and the Boss into Seinfeld characters? I mean, think of it. Elaine as Corey, the Maestro as Tony, Jerry and Kramer as Ash and Alex, Newman as Mark, and the Boss is replaced by Costanza himself.

"GEORGE IS GETTING UPSET!" would be the new GOTTA GET A GRIP!

i would enjoy a hotline miami soundtrack version of the seinfeld theme

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

It's okay to not like a game. I don't think I'm alone in saying I think the game is amazing. Stop insulting people who praise this game. Go play something else. :smith:

It's also okay to like a game. I don't think I'm alone in saying HM2 is disappointing. Stop accusing people who criticize the game of silencing everyone else (where did anyone do this.) Go post somewhere else.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
As someone who liked Hotline Miami 2, I still understand and agree with most of the criticisms of it in this thread. I just also liked the game.

The fact that I didn't repeatedly slam my sensitive bits in the door that is A+ing Hard might also have something to do with this.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I know the HLM2 speedrunners and boy oh boy do they have some things to say about the game (we agreed not to go too hostile on it at SGDQ)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I still don't regret my purchase because I am very excited for Hotline Miami Maker.

Studio posted:

I know the HLM2 speedrunners and boy oh boy do they have some things to say about the game (we agreed not to go too hostile on it at SGDQ)

Do tell, actually, that sounds interesting.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 2, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I like the game, but it also disappoints me because while it is fun to play, everything is meaningless and it always makes me feel hollow inside.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Same.
If you watch the SGDQ 2015 run of Hotline Miami 2 it's pretty obvious the guys on the couch and Duke are all "ughhhhhh" and there are constant jokes about "features" and how "good" the game is. Emphasis theirs, but they do make an interesting comparison. "Tony used to be the best character in the first game for speed running. He is now the worst character in the game."

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

I still don't regret my purchase because I am very excited for Hotline Miami Maker.

I mean there are some speedrunner specific problems, but a lot of the complaints are basic things that have been discussed here before.

Random weapons making some stages easier/harder.
Random enemy patterns making the game hard to route.
Off-screen nature of the game making it hard to adapt to, even midrun.
Sorting to the correct enemy is a chore.
Inconsistency of Ash/Alex.

Just a few of the problems.

For example Hard News is one of the worst levels to run because of random weapons and how open the layout is, even though it's only the third level. Very open, very unpredictable, and there's a fast route that you have to luck into to even attempt.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Wasn't there also the infamous problem with Death Wish having this "amazing speed running strategy" with Corey that if you get it shaves a huge chunk of time off your run and no one can get it because it's random chance and so everyone ends up doing what Duke keeps calling "baby strats" in order to pass that part?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i would enjoy a hotline miami soundtrack version of the seinfeld theme

What's the deal with remixes?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Skunkrocker posted:

Wasn't there also the infamous problem with Death Wish having this "amazing speed running strategy" with Corey that if you get it shaves a huge chunk of time off your run and no one can get it because it's random chance and so everyone ends up doing what Duke keeps calling "baby strats" in order to pass that part?

There's like 3 tiers of strategies and one of them is that.

Then there's a slower but still fast strat that involves the center room

Then there's the baby strats that involve the center room, but slower.

There's also "Cool Webm" strat that is pointless but looks cool (you dive through the long hall way as Corey and look cool)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

You remember that time that Battletoads required you to "get good" for it's stages starting with level two? The game was a buggy mess that felt incomplete with no concept of level balance or anything or introducing new mechanics with no explanation? A level that you couldn't even beat with two players in the original US version because for some hosed reason the controls for player 2 get locked on that stage forcing constant game overs until player 2 just quits and then comes back in the next level ONLY if they still have continues left over? How after all of the bullshit you went through the final boss was lackluster as gently caress and the ending had no payoff? And the story sucked anyway? The only thing people all agree on was the music was amazing in that game and that it constantly ends up being on people's best video games of all time lists. Sure, a lot of people hate the game, but it had an impact. Sometimes you have an experience that is just so much fun despite all of it's obvious flaws that you just say "gently caress it, the game is great." If the different approach to level design, the buggy AI, and storyline in HLM2 is really driving you away that much you obviously are missing what makes the game good. I'm not going to sit here and white knight for the game; that's not the point of this post. I like the game, I think it's awesome, but mainly my concern is that you and several others are constantly saying "This game is stupid and terrible and if you don't like it you are wrong." Look if you don't like the game that's fine. It's okay to not like a game. I don't think I'm alone in saying I think the game is amazing. Stop insulting people who praise this game. Go play something else. :smith:

did you quote the wrong post

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I honestly had more fun re-playing HM2 with a trainer than I did playing it legit, because thanks to the game's weird programming even when you're invincible you can still be killed by dogs, fat guys, and the sword dudes so it's not a total cakewalk but at the same time you don't have to worry about ammo or getting killed by normal grunts so it's really cathartic to run through a level blasting everybody with endless streams of bullets and clearing the entire game in like an hour.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Studio posted:

There's like 3 tiers of strategies and one of them is that.

Then there's a slower but still fast strat that involves the center room

Then there's the baby strats that involve the center room, but slower.

There's also "Cool Webm" strat that is pointless but looks cool (you dive through the long hall way as Corey and look cool)

The only one I've seen is "baby strats." I'd love to see the others, but I don't follow speedrunning outside of like TAS and GDQ. And TAS just because like it's cool to see a game get broken.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I can't believe people are still worked up over the sequel having huge levels instead of little speedrunnable ones.

I'm sorry that the game isn't the game you wanted :cry:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

I can't believe people are still worked up over the sequel having huge levels instead of little speedrunnable ones.

hey bro that's a great straw man you've got there did you make it yourself or did you rent it from snorkel bob's

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

i think he got it at the bad post store

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

the bad poster store called and its outta you!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Broseph Brostar posted:

So glad they used all that extra space to make long corridors for those offscreen shots we all like so much.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Remember how in the first one there was that one segment with the long hallways that you'd get shot from so you were supposed to take a side route and go through the window? Well that's like 60% of the second game and why almost everyone says the level design sucks except for the "its not worse its just 'different'" crowd who might have brain damage or at least lack critical thinking.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I like Hotline Miami 2 a lot but I don't have to pretend it is a flawless misunderstood gem to justify that

It's an ugly frustrating game that I like regardless of how much it hates me and doesn't want me to have fun

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I liked some hotline miami 2 levels but not all the hotline miami 2 levels and the really open gun-heavy ones where you could be shot off screen through three windows were not very fun and I think hotline miami 1 was much better and if this were what hotline miami 1 were like it wouldnt have nearly the same following. Well that's my opinion.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Looking at Party Hard makes me appreciate Hotline Miami's graphics a lot more, because for its faults at least it isn't that exact same style of tall skinny low-detail pixel characters with spindly limbs that every other indie game uses.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Looking at Party Hard makes me appreciate Hotline Miami's graphics a lot more, because for its faults at least it isn't that exact same style of tall skinny low-detail pixel characters with spindly limbs that every other indie game uses.

I swear that sprite style started with the Emogame and has just been done to death...

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

McPixel did ok with that style, because I dunno that I'd want to watch all the dumb poo poo in it rendered in even slightly more detail

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

hey bro that's a great straw man you've got there did you make it yourself or did you rent it from snorkel bob's

Almost all of the problems people have with the game, are caused by the larger levels.

Geight posted:

I like Hotline Miami 2 a lot but I don't have to pretend it is a flawless misunderstood gem to justify that

It's an ugly frustrating game that I like regardless of how much it hates me and doesn't want me to have fun

I don't think the game is a perfect masterpiece, but I'm glad that they explored alternate playstyles and created some exhausting challenges, instead of doing Hotline Miami 2: More Levels edition.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think the game would have been more enjoyable with little mechanical tweaks instead of leaving them exactly the same as the first game. Just having the zoom on toggle might have reduced frustration for me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

Almost all of the problems people have with the game, are caused by the larger levels.

Sykic posted:

HotlineMiami2.gif

Sykic posted:

Well, since you asked.

Sykic posted:

(Everyone watching my stream saw this and said it missed)

(Enemy walked off the map)

(gently caress doors)

So no, I don't think so.

snorkel bob's wants that strawman back yo don't burn it that hard

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I loved Hotline Miami 2 and I think it is a great game and the best purchase I have made in the whole 2015. I do not understand the bitching and/or frustration about a game that is really challenging on Hard. I would 100% the achievements but I do not like to grind kills (missing like 200).

If anything, I am grateful for a game that provided me this level of satisfaction satisfaction without commiting massive hours to the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-SsRWqTNQw

EDIT: Awww poo poo after typing so much words about a game decided to boot it and got S on Execution HARD. What a great game seriously and gently caress the fans.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 4, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Coolguye posted:

snorkel bob's wants that strawman back yo don't burn it that hard

The funny thing about that door glitch is that Bloodbath Kavkaz also has it but they work around it by making doors destructible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Broseph Brostar posted:

alternate playstyles

lol

• Locked thread