Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

So I was a pussy and looked up the ending.

In the first mission of act 5,
After beard gets nuked, when you control Richter, go upstairs before answering the phone. Talk to his mom laying in bed. She says she was dreaming of Richter, sitting with his father, staring out to sea, but felt like something bad was about to happen. :stare:

woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finished it, saw NG+'s intro, don't think I have the patience for the whole thing on Hard though, or to unlock the Abyss. I really like how the story turned out and everything, it's just the godawful design and exciting new bugs that ruined so much of it. Are there any additional cutscenes in Hard like at the start?

Refused posted:

the game ends with Richter sitting with Richard, staring out to sea, then something bad happens

Oh poo poo! That scene was nice too, with him coming to terms and Richard offering some small comfort, or at least closure.

About the end too, when was it supposed to be that Beard met Richard (not Jacket) before? I have a vague sense of what he's supposed to represent, but I can only think of maybe it being even more meta and it being Jacket hallucinating Beard in HLM1, even though he was dead. None of that cutscene was really happening, so it'd fit. It's funny too but the series ending with everyone dead is perfect for this. Their actions both helped escalate things, along with everything else, and didn't matter at all.

e: The main menu is really clever too in light of the ending.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 14, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh poo poo, i forgot
He was wearing the richard mask in jacket's hallucination

Mindfuck

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I think I hit the brick wall. Cannot beat Dead Ahead on Normal. Furthest I've gotten was the fourth room with a gun, and I'm still not sure how to go about besides getting good.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

I think I hit the brick wall. Cannot beat Dead Ahead on Normal. Furthest I've gotten was the fourth room with a gun, and I'm still not sure how to go about besides getting good.

This was the last level I played last night, and the easiest way to do the fourth room I found was to door slam and execute the man in the room by your spawn, and shoot the man across way and the dog. Then exit the room shooting at anyone coming around the corner from above and move back into the area you spawned in behind the right small room. Pop in and out from behind the wall using it as cover. Remember to save some bullets for the fat man that's going to be coming at you. He's your highest priority target after you kill the dog and if you're quick you can nail him through the window in the small room as you're leaving while everyone is still kind of thinned out. If you kill the fatman as soon as possible it will make everything a lot easier.

Once you take care of the initial rush the hard parts over. Do more or less the same thing the second fatman patrol that will come through (you can actually get fancy here if you want, but I'm guessing you just want to beat it). Head through to the left side past the left hand small room. There may or not be two guys patrolling here since they tend to get caught up in the initial rush. Use your look button to check out the top rooms before you approach, and you're just going to have figure this part out for yourself because what they spawn with is random, but if you make a plan first you should be able to take them out without to much trouble.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 14, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Richter:
Doesn't Richard appear next to him right when the bomb hits

That's who I was thinking of.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any tips on getting the "use all weapons" achievement? Specifics ones that are easy to miss?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Bottle of Acid in Withdrawal, Skateboard in No Mercy. Those are the two that are very easy to miss.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you hit the wall, just quit the game and come back tomorrow. Works wonders on a skillful game like this

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Alright yeah, any misgivings I had about at least a third of the levels were completely alleviated once I got to that last level. Holy poo poo, what a loving ending stretch :aaaaa:

I'd say that's right up there with the final act of Deadly Premonition.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There is that locked room with a safe in his house...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

For people having trouble with the 'last boss' - you can't hit them when the eyes are red, only when it's green. This happens immediately after the boss attacks, giving you a short window.

I just beat the game. It was neat. Don't like it as much as the first, though I still liked it.

I can't believe I did Scene 24 first only. That was insane even if it is the best way for combos. So much window-baiting. I'm pretty sure there's a *much* better way to do every section besides the first than the way I did it.

Do Pardo or Richter have any special abilities? I'm assuming not, but I'm just curious. Evan the Writer being 'nonlethal' is more of a negative gimmick but it still works and was an interesting way to build his combos.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 14, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pardo's special ability is that he can turn around faster than other characters by swapping his gun between hands. If you whip the mouse/stick real fast back and forth you can see he even has an animation for it. Richter doesn't have one, I don't think, though I wish he still started with the uzi the mask gave you in Hotline 1.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Erata posted:

edit: Took a peek at Steam achievement stats and only 54% of all game owners have unlocked all the fans. Yikes. I hope that's not people giving up on the game. 24% "did as the director said", that is to say, successfully completed what amounted to the game's tutorial.

If you skip any kind of command the director gives, you will still finish the tutorial but won't get the achievement, so that's why.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

bewilderment posted:

For people having trouble with the 'last boss' - you can't hit them when the eyes are red, only when it's green. This happens immediately after the boss attacks, giving you a short window.

I just beat the game. It was neat. Don't like it as much as the first, though I still liked it.

I can't believe I did Scene 24 first only. That was insane even if it is the best way for combos. So much window-baiting. I'm pretty sure there's a *much* better way to do every section besides the first than the way I did it.

Do Pardo or Richter have any special abilities? I'm assuming not, but I'm just curious. Evan the Writer being 'nonlethal' is more of a negative gimmick but it still works and was an interesting way to build his combos.

In addition to aiming faster and having a shotgun in the boot of his car, Pardo can survive two bullets thanks to the bullet proof vest he has on.

Why doesn't Mark's bullet proof vest let him survive bullets? :iiam:

Also with the last boss You can see Alex raise her chainsaw after attacking, which is when you can hit.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'd think I'd love this game a whole lot more of the view was a bit more zoomed out, now that I think about it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Other then the bottle of acid (Withdrawal) and skateboard (No Mercy) there's a taser in Caught.

The rest of the limited weapons I can think of are:

Small hammer - Midnight Animal
Fire ax - Demolition
Shank and glass shard - Release

There's also a glass bottle I saw once, not sure if it's limited.

Skunkrocker posted:

:stonk:

Nooooooooooooooooo...

If Richter were Jacket's son... But he doesn't recognize Jacket? Or what? I'm confused.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 14, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VisAbsoluta posted:

If you skip any kind of command the director gives, you will still finish the tutorial but won't get the achievement, so that's why.

Yeah I didn't even know this was an achievement, went back and did it tonight, took about 5 minutes

I was at level 16 and missed this one

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Other then the bottle of acid (Withdrawal) and skateboard (No Mercy) there's a taser in Caught.

If Richter were Jacket's son... But he doesn't recognize Jacket? Or what? I'm confused.

That can't be accurate anyway, as there's no way Richter is that young. Also I don't think Richard is supposed to actually BE Jacket in those scenes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

In addition to aiming faster and having a shotgun in the boot of his car, Pardo can survive two bullets thanks to the bullet proof vest he has on.

Why doesn't Mark's bullet proof vest let him survive bullets? :iiam:

All the characters can survive one or two bullets sometimes. It's a bit random. You can even survive shotgun blasts if they only graze you.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anatharon posted:

richter's mom says, in a semi-hidden scene, that she had a dream of Richter sitting and looking out into the ocean with his father, and that she sensed something bad was coming.

In the ending, he is doing that with his mom (I think), and then Richard appears in her place. Richter's responses to him seemed fairly calm and accepting, and then the nuke hits.

I just happened to notice that he was wearing the Richard mask when he shot Jacket in his dream sequence. I also read in the dialogue in a later chapter tonight, when Richter goes out on a job, he makes the excuse that he's going to meet a friend at the bar, and she says something along the lines of "Oh good, I was starting to think you were a loner like your father."

There's probably something there I just haven't seen everything yet

Edit - I think this is all in relation to Richard as in the mask or spooky death ghost or something, not Jacket.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Discendo Vox posted:

Sykic has some gifs that I hope he'll post showing that hit detection is bugged pretty severely for bullets.

Well, since you asked.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

richter's mom says, in a semi-hidden scene, that she had a dream of Richter sitting and looking out into the ocean with his father, and that she sensed something bad was coming.

In the ending, he is doing that with his mom (I think), and then Richard appears in her place. Richter's responses to him seemed fairly calm and accepting, and then the nuke hits.

I just happened to notice that he was wearing the Richard mask when he shot Jacket in his dream sequence. I also read in the dialogue in a later chapter tonight, when Richter goes out on a job, he makes the excuse that he's going to meet a friend at the bar, and she says something along the lines of "Oh good, I was starting to think you were a loner like your father."

There's probably something there I just haven't seen everything yet

Edit - I think this is all in relation to Richard as in the mask or spooky death ghost or something, not Jacket.

This is a solid line to follow. In this light, what does it mean that Richard says he and Beard have met before?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 14, 2015

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

This is a solid line to follow. In this light, what does it mean that Richard says he and Beard have met once before?

The Crazed Colonel in Hawaii? If it is a spooky possession thing, that could be it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Richter's special ability is having the best levels

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Richter's special ability is having the best levels

Prison escape was the fuckin straight dope

His interstitial scenes legit made me sad tho

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

All the characters can survive one or two bullets sometimes. It's a bit random. You can even survive shotgun blasts if they only graze you.

No, Manny ALWAYS survives the first two bullets. Try it fighting some gangsters with regular pistols.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also did anyone else notice that The "Richard" Evan meets doesn't have teeth or animate when he talks

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Also did anyone else notice that The "Richard" Evan meets doesn't have teeth or animate when he talks

Don't do meth!!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Hmmm... how's this for a theory?

"Richard" is pure, unadulterated evil, bringing about the end of the world. All of these people he influences to do his bidding and cause World War III, and therefore the apocalypse. And he's very happy about that.

That's right, the antichrist is a gigantic cock.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Sykic posted:

Well, since you asked.

Out of curiosity is this behavior inconsistent with the first game, or have the bullets always been this generous? I would never notice something like that without slowing it down, to be honest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, it's the mask from the first game. This is normally, in other levels, a sign that you're not caught in one of Richard's "dreams", whatever that means in this context.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I replayed No Mercy and I kinda like how such a brief scene makes the Henchman likable and yet still basically interchangable with the other mobsters. Like "hey he's bad guy but not inhuman, nice job killing all these dudes just like him."

Skunkrocker posted:

"Richard" is pure, unadulterated evil, bringing about the end of the world. All of these people he influences to do his bidding and cause World War III, and therefore the apocalypse. And he's very happy about that.

Eh, I feel like his warnings are trying to get people to change for the better.

The real truth is that the newgame+ intro cutscene is real, everyone is in purgatory. Richard is St. Peter and he is making the cast go through their lives to make the 'right' choice next time. There IS a peter mask after all. :tinfoil:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 14, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think a much more likely theory is that Richard is only Richard to the player. It's something, but it's different to everyone who sees it. The reason we see it as Richard is because Richard is an identifiable character to everyone who's played Hotline Miami. Richter's mother saw it as his father, which may be because of the weird family dynamic

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skunkrocker posted:

But if you listen to what he says he's trying to dissuade people from doing what they're doing. To the point where he's even actually confused and disgusted by Bardo.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anatharon posted:

I replayed No Mercy and I kinda like how such a brief scene makes the Henchman likable and yet still basically interchangable with the other mobsters. Like "hey he's bad guy but not inhuman, nice job killing all these dudes just like him."

I was hoping that taking or not taking the pill would have some sort of effect, even if it's minor.

Also I feel like his warnings are only given to those he knows won't listen, or are too far gone to change.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Geight posted:

I was hoping that taking or not taking the pill would have some sort of effect, even if it's minor.

Also I feel like his warnings are only given to those he knows won't listen, or are too far gone to change.

It worked for Evan and Richter.

TheJoker138 posted:

But if you listen to what he says he's trying to dissuade people from doing what they're doing. To the point where he's even actually confused and disgusted by Bardo.

I feel like in all seriousness he's the character's self. Mark sees Richard because he's the Fan most concerned about his friends and he's internally worried something bad might happen to them. Evan's guilty about not being able to support his family. The Son wonders if his father would've wanted him to try the straight and narrow. Manny isn't consciencelly aware that he's the Miami Mutilator, and Richard's not understanding why he does the things he does is because Manny himself doesn't know. He appears to Richter because Richter regrets being forced into working for 50 Blessings. Martin Brown/The Pig Butcher his violent fantasies he's guilty about.[

He doesn't ever talk to the Henchman, and he only appears to Jake and Beard in newgame+. Beard because he's already gone through the self-reflection, the Henchman because he's defined by subserviance to others (his girlfriend and The Son) and he doesn't appear to Jake because he's a racist goon who has no self awareness whatsoever.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 14, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Richard is both virtuous and totally impotent, which fits the game's themes. The closest thing his cryptic chicken rear end comes to an explanation is when he tells Evan, "I'm the opposite of why you're writing your book. I'm something you will never understand." Instead of trying to riddle out Evan's exact motivations for his novel, I figure that to mean that Richard is multiple virtues at once - selflessness, awareness, caution, restraint, compassion - that the various characters ignore in favor of indulging their need to hurt people. Likewise, he seems to adjust his attitude based on how far gone the characters are. Richter, who participated in the violence unwillingly, and Beard, who successfully left it behind, get the closest thing to actual sympathy from him, whereas complete thrill-killers like Tony or deluded psychopaths like Jake and Pardo just get one or two disgusted lines.

Richard's at once an icon of everything the killers are obsessed with and a proponent of everything they don't want to hear. His awareness of his own powerlessness is what gives him his resigned, fatalistic attitude, and in the New Game+ cutscene he's literally relegated to the role of an audience member, giving one last futile lecture before restarting the VHS that comprises the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

:wow:

Oxxidation posted:

Richard is both virtuous and totally impotent, which fits the game's themes. The closest thing his cryptic chicken rear end comes to an explanation is when he tells Evan, "I'm the opposite of why you're writing your book. I'm something you will never understand." Instead of trying to riddle out Evan's exact motivations for his novel, I figure that to mean that Richard is multiple virtues at once - selflessness, awareness, caution, restraint, compassion - that the various characters ignore in favor of indulging their need to hurt people. Likewise, he seems to adjust his attitude based on how far gone the characters are. Richter, who participated in the violence unwillingly, and Beard, who successfully left it behind, get the closest thing to actual sympathy from him, whereas complete thrill-killers like Tony or deluded psychopaths like Jake and Pardo just get one or two disgusted lines.

Richard's at once an icon of everything the killers are obsessed with and a proponent of everything they don't want to hear. His awareness of his own powerlessness is what gives him his resigned, fatalistic attitude, and in the New Game+ cutscene he's literally relegated to the role of an audience member, giving one last futile lecture before restarting the VHS that comprises the game itself.

I wonder what he'd have said to the other Fans and Henchman, who he never interacts with at all. The other fans seem to have purer (note: not nessecairly more 'good' or anything) motivations towards it. Alexis/Ash are genuinely convinced Jacket's a good guy, hence why they protest outside his trial. Mark's in it for his friends. Corey... Is hard to say, I admit. Tony is the only one who explicitly states he's in it for an excuse to kill people.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 14, 2015

• Locked thread